It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found more than 1125 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 15 Dec 2011, 16:29 

DiscoVision's rotted very early in the packaging, so if it's not rotted now, it won't rot. When I lived in New Mexico, I had virtually no problems with rot, even Sony DADC America titles were/are fine (I just played my DADC copy of Contact the other day and its still perfect). But now that I live in Missouri, with very high humidity, I've had some good discs rot, like my Japanese import 8-inch pressing of "Twist Of Fate" - it was perfect at first, now it's rotted. And I only bought it a year or so ago.

I have some early PAL discs that have turned a bronze color and have what look like coffee stains under the surface - they were clear and clean when new. I don't have a PAL player though, so I can't say if they would still play or not.

Rot always manifests itself as red & blue speckles. Black/White speckling is either tape master errors or pit defects due to a missing half-cycle of the FM carrier - that's a 'pressed in' or mastering defect and won't get worse. Snits (rolling black/white lines) are due to either surface dirt or dust/contaminates under the disc surface and are a pressing defect - and won't get worse.

Your ability to see any of the above defects depends on the frequency response of your player and television - and if you have a good comb filter. The better each is, the easier it is to see the defects. Also, some discs are just pressed 'noisy" and actually look best through a "Channel 3" RF input on a CRT set - the high frequency losses from the RF transmission make most pressing defects much less visible since RF is limited to only 330 lines horizontally and that's only if your set has a comb filter. If it's a notch filter set, then horizontal resolution will be around 3MHz, 260 lines or so. About VHD Video Disc quality.

Oh, and cleaning a disc with Windex won't hurt it a bit. I've done that for 30 years and never had a problem. Pioneer even officially recommended Windex or "Clean & Shine", which I don't think is made anymore.

Posted: 22 Jan 2012, 04:32 

Laserdisc fans seem to think laserdisc rot can develop over time, it doesn't. It happens at the pressing stage and usually manifests itself within a few months. A year at the outset. It's impossible for it to develop later. The "usual suspects" are well documented and if you have a disc now and it plays fine, it'll stay fine. If it has laserdisc rot, it's been there since day one. Minor speckles are not rot but either faults on the original pressing or inclusion. If you have a laserdisc with laserdisc rot, it's simply unplayable.

Posted: 24 Jan 2012, 15:27 

Having bought many second hand collections over the years (in order to cherry pick titles to build my own collection), i've come across all of the usual suspects. Most of them were pressed at the dreaded SONY DADC US plant. I'm a serial Sony hater to this day, just because of the way they handled (or didnt, as the case may be) a replacement / return scheme for defective discs. i.e. - they didn't. No company would be allowed to practice in this way today, so goodness knows how they got away with it 15 or so years ago.

I've never found a decent copy of a US pressing of Eraser or Starship Troopers, for example - and i've gone through dozens. Luckily, there's usually an exceptional Japanese pressing of the same title available, as is the case with these two.

In fact, the only Japanese rotters I have had are a very small number of early Pioneer pressings, way fewer than my US discs. Sadly, the US rot figures are usually artificially bumped up by the crappy DADC discs. All of my late (1995+) Japanese discs have been exceptional quality.

The 'coffee staining' that some people mention has also manifested itself on my PDO UK PAL pressings - it's quite common for some of the early PAL laservision discs to turn bronze in colour over their lifetime - some play absolutely fine.

None of my discs have developed rot on the shelf - like others, if it had rot when I bought it, it still has - but none seemed to have developed it during my ownership. Let's hope it stays that way! I'm sure it will.

All the best.

Posted: 23 Dec 2013, 05:41 

this is a review for the 3 box sets of: Star Trek the original series.
Star Trek: Original Series log.1 (1967) [PILF-1615]
Star Trek: Original Series log.2 (1968) [PILF-1581]
Star Trek: Original Series log.3 [PILF-1711]

wow, these boxes are massive and amazing.

the first log has the pilot in color on one disc with a special program to start star trek the next generation.
each episode is put into production order not broadcast order.

each episode has the trailer for the next show right after the credits.
the final disc in each box has all episode trailers on one disc for that season.
the color booklets are amazing with great pictures, but all in Japanese.

one channel is English and the other is Japanese.
for some scenes the dialog will be in English on both channels and there will be Japanese subtitles.
but this only happens on a few minutes of the episodes when they are talking about philosophy or other situations.

Opening titles for the first season are really damaged, but the episodes in all 3 seasons are in great condition with no major issues and are very enjoyable.

I believe blam1 said that they were all season 3 titles on the discs, but on that extra disc you see the
Correct season opening titles.

If you love Star Trek and can afford or find these boxes get them.
Shipping from Japan is not cheap, so your best bet is to find them locally and enjoy them.

Posted: 05 Oct 2017, 04:25 

Can't remember if I've bought from him in a while.
Ebay is now always siding with the buyer, so get ready for a wild ride.
I hope it goes well for you.

And keep those messages in the ebay mailbox so you can use them against him, ebay doesn't like this type of stuff.

Posted: 05 Oct 2017, 09:03 

When I encounter someone I can't get along well with, like your conversation about the LJR-I,
I usually block these buyers so that they cannot bid or buy my auctions anymore.
There is an option like that somewhere quite hidden in the ebay account settings.
I think your best option now is to send him a shipping label and get the player back.
This guy smells like trouble.

Posted: 05 Oct 2017, 14:00 

So I decide to see if I could call his bluff since I think he just wants me to send him a partial refund to try to get the player cheaper than what he paid for.

I reply: "I will send you shipping label then and give you a refund upon receipt of the player. Please send me the dimensions of the box I sent to you so I can prepare the shipping label."

And I pretty much called it since he says: "Ahhhh, I hate to have to send it all the way back. Do you think you will repair and resell?
Would you be willing to offer anything, to help with repair on my end?"

My reply: "I'll definitely fix it, but not sure if I'll resell it. Don't want to run the risk of it getting damaged again in transit

And I don't want to put any money towards any repair shop I'm not familiar with. When I get LD players repaired, I usually do the repairs myself or contact the LD player techs I'm familiar with to get them fixed.

So go ahead and send me the dimensions of the box and I'll send you a shipping label to ship it back to me. Once I get it back, I'll refund you."

For some time there is no response, until: "Please send me the power supply cord and any other accessories that were part of the listing"

Me: "So you want the power cord now?

Are you keeping the player?"

Him: "Well I guess so. I was able to get the repair shop to commit to $200.

I will say that I am not happy though about having to Shell out another $200 to get this thing back in the condition that it was sold
Are you at least going to send me the power cord or do I have to buy that as well?"

Me: "No, I said I would send that to you.

I'll have it in the mail tomorrow.

And if you're truly not happy with the transaction, you can send it back to me for a full refund."

Shortly thereafter, I get a message from Ebay that a return request was initiated by him. I pick the option to send him a shipping label and full refund upon return of the item, and I include the tracking number like it asks and a message to him that the shipping label is on its way.

Then he leaves me negative feedback on Ebay: "Item shipped missing parts and arrived broken"

Which like I pointed out isn't true about the missing parts (power cord.) Filed a report against his feedback since I cooperated with him so he can get a refund, but who knows if that will actually be retracted.

Also I have to hope that he doesn't trash the player before shipping it back or pack it shoddily so that it gets trashed in the mail.

Needless to say, I won't be dealing with him ever again for Laserdiscs or anything else.

Posted: 05 Oct 2017, 14:06 

When I encounter someone I can't get along well with, like your conversation about the LJR-I,
I usually block these buyers so that they cannot bid or buy my auctions anymore.
There is an option like that somewhere quite hidden in the ebay account settings.
I think your best option now is to send him a shipping label and get the player back.
This guy smells like trouble.
Good to know. Wish I knew about that sooner!!!

Posted: 05 Oct 2017, 15:15 

You should be able to try and get the negative removed due to him leaving it too soon.
Its all phone issues and you will always need to talk to the supervisors.

Posted: 05 Oct 2017, 18:59 

Hi elahrairrah - I've had one dealing with this seller.

Some months ago he listed a rare laserdisc for sale.
I proceeded to purchase it and then he refused to ship it to the UK with the following reply:

Thank you for looking at my site and considering purchase of this rare laserdisc. unfortunately, i had not wished to ship this overseas (outside the U.S.), as it is very expensive, in excellent condition and i am afraid it could suffer damage during shipping. if you were to receive it damaged in any way, you would most likely return, and i would be left refunding cost + shipping both ways. i do not think i want to take the risk.
in addition, just to ship to you i would need to use usps priority at a minimum, which is approximately $60 USD. this seems like a high cost.
if you agree with me, we should probably cancel this transaction.
if you have anyone in the US that i could ship to, who would assume risk of travel and forward to you, i would be willing to do that.

Whilst I was agreeable to paying priority mail I was definitely not agreeable to shipping it to a third party in the US as that would mean I had no comeback if he never shipped it all since I am only covered for the address associated with my paypal account.

So we agreed to cancel the transaction. Definitely someone I would NOT purchase from again.
I got the impression he didn't know how to pack LDs properly so I wasn't prepared to take the risk.

Posted: 05 Oct 2017, 20:56 

Then he leaves me negative feedback on Ebay: "Item shipped missing parts and arrived broken"

Which like I pointed out isn't true about the missing parts (power cord.) Filed a report against his feedback since I cooperated with him so he can get a refund, but who knows if that will actually be retracted.

If it is of any help the negative feedback does not appear to be showing in the "feedback left for others" bit on his page.

Hope you get this sorted.

Regards

Posted: 11 Oct 2017, 01:18 

Well if its any assurance, when we had the mix up with the DVL players I thought that you did a more then adequate packaging, I can vouch for your packing abilites.

Hope things work out..

Posted: 11 Oct 2017, 03:02 

Ah this reminds me of when I sold my SP-D07
They buyer was a big time seller of electronics and tried to pull a fast one, he bought it and I forgot to say if it needed a transformer.
So he wanted a partial refund to purchase the transformer.
Somehow I got away with it and didn't have to refund but then again this was about 10 years ago and I can't say for sure who the buyer was.

There are so many scams that I forgot most of them but one can always pull them now on ebay.

Posted: 11 Oct 2017, 17:41 

This just keeps getting better and better!

So he finally gets back to me last night: "After waiting forever for the return label,... I got the item all packaged up and its original box with original packaging and took it to FedEx.
They did not accept the package as they said the postage provided was inadequate.
I've asked eBay to figure out what is going on..."

Me: "I don't understand how you can you 'waited forever for the return label' when FedEx tracking shows that you received the label on Thursday the 5th, just two days after you requested the return.

I am contacting Fed Ex now to see why they didn't accept the package"

Contacted Fed Ex and they say that he waited too long to use the label, as Fed Ex Ground labels expire after 3 days (something tells me he knew that and why he waited so long.)

He then changes his tune: "Okay let me explain. I did not get your shipping label 2 days after you sent it as I guess FedEx didn't explain they left it at my neighbor's house not mine.
I was able to track it down a day or two later.
But none of that really matters.
I did not wait until today to try and ship it I actually took it in on Friday.
The issue was not that the label had expired but rather that it was inadequate amount of postage for that size and weight of box.
They simply turned me away.
As far as I understand the label is not expired it's just not enough postage.
After being rejected on Friday I did enjoy my weekend and Monday holiday before contacting eBay and you."

What a load of BS! First he says he "waited forever" now he says it was delivered to his neighbor's house?!?! I also called him out on the "insufficient postage" as I used my work Fed Ex account and the additional cost would have just been charged to our account. Plus, he supposedly waits 4 days to contact me back knowing that his is a time sensitive matter? Come on now!

He tries to file a complaint with Ebay AGAIN saying I'm not cooperating, and I shut that down with the swiftness explaining that I sent him the shipping label (gave them the tracking number to prove that he did receive it two days after he opened the return claim) and that he waited until the 10th (4 days after he received the label) to try to return it so the label expired.

Ebay responds: "Thank you for writing back to eBay Customer Service regarding the Laserdisc Player (item 253169261866) which you sold to “theultimateshoppingcenter”. I’m sorry to hear that your buyer opened a case because they stated that the item they received is different from the listing and I understand that you want this item to returned back. Please allow me to assist you.

After reviewing the case, I found that you communicate with them promptly. I appreciate the fact that you are highly cooperative with your buyer towards the resolution of your case and have agreed with the return of the item. I can also see that you mentioned that you already provided a return label for them to return the item.

Please be informed that we have now asked the buyer to send the item back within the next 9 days via tracked service to allow us to monitor the item's delivery to your registered return address. Please be informed that we’ve asked them to return the item using the label you provided.

Once we get confirmation that the buyer has successfully returned the item, we will refund the buyer with the cost of the item plus the original postage charge on your behalf. On the other hand, if the buyer failed to return the item to you, we will not hesitate to close the case in your favor and release the funds back to your PayPal account.

I trust that I've explained things clearly and wish you all the best on your future transactions. Thank you for choosing eBay and have a great day ahead!

Kind regards,"

I am now sending him another label via Fed Ex overnight (since it seems you can't send PDF files over Ebay messaging otherwise I would have just messaged him one to print out) and giving Ebay BOTH tracking numbers so they can see that he received the label and if he ever tries to ship it again.

Posted: 11 Oct 2017, 21:42 

I just want to post who this is in case we didn't do this earlier.

Ebay ID: theultimateshoppingcenter

This is a massive situation and he is trying to keep the player from this scam, I know how this one works, someone tried this with me years ago.
The LD market is very small and he shouldn't be pulling this type of thing.

I really wonder if he is on LDDB, if he is he should be removed as this is a massive scam.

Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 19:34 

5 days after he received the new shipping label he finally replies to me last night (after 3 attempts to contact him about receiving the label) he says: "I will try to drop it off with FedEx tomorrow."

Let's see what happens!

Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 19:27 

Well, he actually did use the shipping label as the tracking number shows it's in transit.

Now did he trash the player before shipping it? Did he ship me the right player?

I hope he just does the right thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted: 19 Oct 2017, 20:16 

Looks like I have a happy ending after all.

Got the box and I shot a video of me opening it to make I cover my a** in case something isn't right in the package and he cries foul.

Its the same player (made sure I checked the serial number.) And doesn't seem worse for wear.

Oh yeah, remember him saying the tray won't open?

tray2.jpg

Lying sack of crap. Player works just fine. There's no possible way that something broke on the way to him, but fixed itself on the way back to me.

Welp, I guess I better issue him his refund unless I can further bring this matter up with Ebay about him being dishonest.

but really, with Ebay siding with the seller so much these days, is it really worth my time?

Posted: 19 Oct 2017, 22:07 

Serious question: why do so many people with mental problems obsess over LD? I don’t need to name a single example, we all know them, many are members.

I don’t *think* I’m emotionally impaired or Skitzophrenic or anything but I’m starting to think I must be or I wouldn’t be watching LDs, right? Maybe my attic is full of heads and I’m blocking it out...

Posted: 19 Oct 2017, 22:17 

Well this just shows us that we now have a new LD tech FEDEX :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll send my broken player to myself and I'll receive it working :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you got it back and now you'll have to figure out on selling it again or just keeping due to the fools out there.

Posted: 20 Oct 2017, 18:17 

About 2 weeks ago I recently sold a pipe and the fool returned it said it didn't fit.
:wtf: It didn't fit into his mouth :crazy:

This is just the new scams that people can pull on ebay for partial refunds.
Also if you can, you can bust him with ebay by contacting them and say that he wanted a partial refund.
eBay doesn't like sellers to give partial refunds as they know the scam.

Good luck and slam him if you can with ebay, just spend the extra 20 min and call them to tell them.

Posted: 05 Nov 2017, 03:00 

This guy is bad news. He bought a muse disc from me and claimed it was damaged (before even playing it) and forced a return (disc was fine as I knew it would be).

He also bought a McIntosh 7020 from me once (I sold very clearly indicating that AC3 was non functional) and put back for sale the next day at double the price without disclosing the AC3 issue....very shady dude.

Posted: 06 Nov 2017, 18:54 

This guy is bad news. He bought a muse disc from me and claimed it was damaged (before even playing it) and forced a return (disc was fine as I knew it would be).

He also bought a McIntosh 7020 from me once (I sold very clearly indicating that AC3 was non functional) and put back for sale the next day at double the price without disclosing the AC3 issue....very shady dude.
Jeez, this guy is a total dirtbag. Wish there was a better way to get the word out on him than just on this forum.

Posted: 06 Nov 2017, 22:07 

Serious question: why do so many people with mental problems obsess over LD? I don’t need to name a single example, we all know them, many are members.

I don’t *think* I’m emotionally impaired or Skitzophrenic or anything but I’m starting to think I must be or I wouldn’t be watching LDs, right? Maybe my attic is full of heads and I’m blocking it out...
Just to be certain, who in this thread is "obsessing" over LD?

I will admit to having mental problems (which I am seeing a Psychiatrist for), but is sharing a valid complaint about an Ebay seller who is trying to swindle me out of money and/or a valuable LD player is far from obsessing, wouldn't you think?

I was referring to the crazy eBay scammer that you started this thread for, not you. I don’t know why you’d think otherwise.

As for who obsesses over LD, if that word bothers you so much, since you asked me this question, it’s everyone here. Anyone who spends more money shipping a dead product than it cost to purchase and decades after it became passé is obsessed. That would be the popular mainstream opinion. If I invited my neighbors to see my media collection they would say all sorts of nice things about it but when they got back home they would say, “that guy is obsessed”. That wasn’t the point of my question. I don’t have any problems with obsession. My neighbors are two dimensional vapid squares and I’d way rather hang out here, even with just the crazies. I’m totally cool with a fairly large about of obsession.

My question was why do all the weirdos come here? Good and bad, really. We have like 20 regular posting members but we have way way more than our share of ripoff artists and people with significant mental issues that come here. I didn’t name any because I didn’t want to emphasize anyone or any particular type of craziness. I wasn’t even thinking of you. Whatever your craziness is, it appears to be completely compatible with peace on the forum and I appreciate your contributions to LDDD.

We attract the crazies though, seriously. Have you not noticed this? I’m not trying to attack anyone for being crazy, I’m just trying to figure out why crazy people love to give so many other people so much trouble via the medium of Laserdisc either through nonsense posts or by conducting international shipping scams from Portugal to Japan. It ain’t normal! I’m on forums with tens of thousands of members and and way less craziness.

There’s something about those discs...

Posted: 07 Nov 2017, 21:23 

There is something about those discs ! ! ! ! !

I love and do relate to that post signofzeta ! ! !

Awesome thread, very insightful.......
Remember mates, the unexamined life is NOT worth living ! ! !

Cheers to the membership !
Page 1 of 45 [ Search found more than 1125 matches ]