It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 2 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 30 Aug 2018, 19:37 

So far my wife and I are really enjoying it. We've only got 4 episodes left. Things definitely get crazy in that show. haha

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 30 Sep 2023, 04:17 

There are some great recommendations here with The Killer (CAV), Brazil (CAV), and Robin Hood (CAV). The Red Shoes is a beautiful transfer with stunning colors and does hold up well.

I've always loved the CAV version of Akira. It's a beautiful triple gate-fold release with a lot of extras.

Seven, The Game, Boogie Nights, Evita, The Rock, and Armageddon are all beautiful later releases with great picture and sound. I don't think that the transfers are better than the other non-Criterion releases.

Some have been re-released on Blu-ray with more features (and obviously better picture). Beauty and the Beast (1946) is one that I own both on LD & Blu-ray as a Criterion. The Blu-ray is far superior and also has Philip Glass' score for it as an alternative soundtrack, which is fantastic!

Some of the older Criterion releases have laserdisc exclusive commentaries. The first three Bond films were released as CAV & CLV on through Criterion. The CAV releases famously have the "banned" commentaries and were supposedly recalled. The Criterion release of Chasing Amy has a commentary with Kevin Smith that is a lot of fun. At the beginning he mentions that you are watching it on laserdisc and says "f*** DVD". I'm not sure if they cut or changed that for the future Criterion DVD release.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 2 matches ]