It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 09:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 9 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 20 Dec 2016, 19:31 

I got the figures. Complete production run is between 300-400 units at the moment. Last word, there is only 3 months worth of supplies left at the Lumagen inventory. Again from what I have heard, they sell 4-5 a month which means there is about 20-30 units left. I convinced Jim to go for another active year before discontinuing this product. So they will probably make another 50. So it is as rare as it gets. Most customers go for hdmi only units as they don't care for legacy devices.

Lumagen offers great trade in programs, so it is unlikely we will see used 2144s on eBay or any where. Out of that 400 built, 300 or so will remain in systems forever anyway.

It is expensive but there are a dozen X9 sales a month. 2144 is a much better value as you can use it with other video up to 2K with lossless audio.

Posted: 08 Nov 2017, 00:05 

I live in Virginia so grasshopper is closer. These are not fun to work on and really heavy to ship. If the laser has issues we cannot get a replacement in the U.S.

The X0 and S2 both need to be powered off correctly or the laser slider can freely slide forward or backward as you tilt the player. Your error codes relate to laser slider position and receiving a reflection from the LD back to the laser.

Posted: 07 Dec 2017, 00:22 

Shortly put, the whole thing about 3:2 pulldown that makes it work is that, while video runs at 30 frames per second, it does so in two steps. First half the lines are scanned, in 1/60 second, then the remaining lines in the remaining 1/60 second. The two sets of lines are "interlaced" as you do with your fingers, first a line in the first field, then a line in the second field, then back to the first field, & so on.

So, as a result, the easiest way to deal with film running at 24 frames per second and video at 30 is to recognize that both are multiples of 120. Each video frame occupies 4/120 second, & each video field occupies 2/120, while each film frame occupies 5/120. So, your first frame is held in the film gate for the period of two fields or one frame, that is, 4/120, and then "pulled down" to make way for the next one, which is held for three fields or 6/120. Since 4+6=10, the two successive film frames occupy 10/120 second, & two-and-a-half successive video frames occupy 10/120, so everything works out fine.

The main thing to realize is that each & every film frame is represented either by two or by three successive video fields. In other words, either a complete picture in two halves, or a complete picture plus a half of a picture repeating the first half of the previous picture. It is, therefore, possible to recover the original film frames. The only exception occurs when video editing has been done after the film-to-video transfer step, in which case you may be left with occasional partial frames. This is, however, rare. Much more common are "cadence shifts", in which the regular 3:2:3:2:3:2 sequence of fields stutters, giving 3:2:2:3 or 2:3:3:2 sequences. These cause no problems to the viewer, but schemes which rely on detecting the sequence of fields often react badly.

Posted: 08 Dec 2017, 09:58 

As someone who loves the format I wholeheartedly agree; laserdisc is a dead format.

Outside of the small fraction of a percent of the population of this big blue marble who obsess about it daily most people have never even heard of the format.

That doesn't mean it can't have a great community though.

Does this thread even have a topic any more or is it just another exercise in bashing the newbie?

Posted: 24 Dec 2017, 01:57 

Not very well in my opinion.

Dolby Pro Logic processing is the same on all devices with that logo. It’s a licensed sw that Dolby makes. They all use the same exact algorithm. The problem with this unit is it is old. Dolby improved pro logic processing algorithms a number of times since. The most current is Dolby Atmos upmixer.

Besides the antiquated dolby processing, it has old dacs and dsps. You speakers placement and calibration is within 1db and 1m on this unit. Newer processors will do 0.1db and .5 meter accuracy.

Posted: 24 Dec 2017, 10:51 

D.D. on LaserDisc started in January 1995 with Clear and Present Danger (1994) [LV 32463-2WS]

Posted: 25 Dec 2017, 03:33 

clashradio wrote:
Thanks substance. I guess I'm confused as to why some mid-90's players had ac-3 rf-out when it seems 1999 was first year of D.D.?

AC-3 and DD may as well be considered two terms for the same thing. In the LD world there is no separating the two.

Posted: 30 Dec 2017, 15:56 

Don’t waste you time and money on antiquated audio processors. They have moved on a long way. All surround processing, even if you feed analog inputs, happens in digital domain. For digital processing your fpga gate count, processing speed and memory amounts matters. Comparing a 90s audio processor to todays is like a 10 digit calculator vs ipad pro.

Try and buy an avr from the past 3-4 years, with at least dolby pro logic iix or preferably dolby atmos upmixer.

Pro logic
Pro logic ii
Pro logic iix
Pro logic iiz
Atmos upmixer

These are the generations of pro logic processing and things got really improved with the pro logic ii and on wards.

Posted: 07 Jun 2018, 17:17 

The people saying not to upscale don't have anything like a 2144. ;) If you're using an LCD or any other modern display you're scaling somewhere along the line. And you've got the best scaler, use it!
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 9 matches ]