It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 703 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: I am back
Posted: 07 Sep 2021, 19:33 

What is the player?? Where are you located???

Posted: 13 Sep 2021, 23:58 

Been on the lookout for Curry and Pepper now this one :lol:

I think Coburn is a hit or miss actor, one of those love or hate him deals?? I may be wrong.
But he didn't have a lot of great film options in that era of the mid 70s.
Only film I actually own that has him in is Duck You Sucker, great spaghetti western film.

Posted: 14 Sep 2021, 16:39 

1st: There aren’t any conventions anymore. That’s pretty much the end of the conversation.

2nd: The LD scene doesn’t need to grow. It doesn’t need notoriety. We won’t need our stuff to be jacked up in prices by eBayers trying to be auction houses. Furthermore LD isn’t a logical thing to collect for 21st century noobs as there are better ways to watch more movies for less money. Honestly the video game scene has become something I’m embarrassed to be associated with so I don’t like comparisons to it. Gamers lives are ruined enough without adding LD to the list of worthless crap they blow all their money on. Some of us are still using our collections to watch movies. Please at least wait until we’re dead before you break all the players in shipping and make a graded copy of Hunt for Red October “worth” over $1.5M.

1st Well they still do have conventions, we have a friend who just went to dragoncon and there were a shitton of people there, I think
they said 40,000.

2nd the LD scene would be great to grow BUT it won't. I remember buying films back in the early oughts for stupid money, I think
I bought the box of Tron on ebay for 50 or 75 since I knew it was cheaper than when buying new, but now its just stupid to think that
unless its a super rare film on LD.
AND China or other countries won't be coming out with LD player clones anytime soon like they do with your famiclone or segaclone.
Since there won't be any new players or format it will never happen in the prices like the games.

Movies just bring back 2hr memories not like games and toys which were the entire day.
I have both movie and game memories, but I never spent the money like I did on SFII' I had 2 machines at one point, along with
14 others.

Posted: 15 Sep 2021, 17:54 

I'll have to check that out, I love silent films and its one of the few reasons I still have an LD player.
Anime, Silent, theatrical releases and then the random film with no other release.

Posted: 15 Sep 2021, 22:38 

May have won a scratch off at the grocery store, wonder if this is still available.

Posted: 16 Sep 2021, 16:06 

Was wondering about titles that are most owned in collections and that are still the highest priced that actually sell.

We aren't talking about discs that are highest priced but discs that are in more collections than we can count on both hands and feet.

I think this song of the south Song of the South (1946) [PILF-1096]
may be the disc that is in the most collections and still actually sells for a high price.
187 in collections and the disc does still sell for 150-250 on ebay and here.

I can only see the top 100, is there another way to search??
Would be fun to see the disc that is in the most collections and still sells for a crazy price.

I see Matrix, The (1999) [17665] is at 181 and still commands a high
price, is it higher than SOTS now??? Haven't searched it on ebay in a while.

Posted: 18 Sep 2021, 21:37 

In regards to soldering, it looks like you just need to buy some flux.
Possible, I had some issues recently with I believe 60-40 solder and it just won't flow, has flux core.
Could be the same issue that we see??
Hard to find really good solder now, Radio Shack used to have great stuff but now its harder to source cheap priced.

Posted: 19 Sep 2021, 01:58 

Is it 135? I can't see any 125 online.
Have been doing some guitar parts over the past few years and its hard to find good solder, will look into getting any RS or look at the SRA if they have.

Posted: 26 Sep 2021, 22:03 

This is great, I was away for a week and see we still have a great lot for sale, lucky buyer who picks this one up

Posted: 02 Oct 2021, 13:43 

9954tony wrote:
I'm pretty sure the consensus is that all discs rot/degrade, just a matter of how fast. So on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for every disc is "0".

But this is true with everything, even books, comics, people. Welcome to planet Earth, us and our stuff.

Posted: 07 Oct 2021, 02:26 

Laserbite, had a contact with him on FB recently, he's still lost it, even worse now I feel.

Posted: 08 Oct 2021, 01:03 

Danny Lee, First Inframan then Oily Maniac then The Killer.
What a crazy ride for him.

Don't know if I ever knew about Oily Maniac but now must have it, been trying to stop my film habit but this seems like a must.

Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 02:38 

Good luck on the LD journey, remember parts are no longer available, so we have to wait I'm guessing a few years for others to possibly
start on making some lasers or spindle motors, these have been gone for at least a decade.

While I love the LD format I'm personally dumping as much of the common stuff I can, and what I mean by common stuff are the films that I can get
on any format so I can keep my players running for the super super special stuff that has never been released on any other format ever.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-2730K] No Audio
Posted: 14 Oct 2021, 14:41 

Also just came to mind, wonder if the switch needs some contact cleaner spray, may not be working due to being dirty.
Lot of these Karaoke players were in areas with smokers.

Posted: 20 Oct 2021, 00:28 

Pretty amazing, I was just guessing about a shout factory release back in 2018, just figured that it was so cult that no regular company would
bother to release it.

While I'm happy enough with my DVD that I asked about when I picked it up in 2018 I'm glad this whackball film will be for others to keep enjoying for
years to come.

Posted: 23 Oct 2021, 15:33 

Dracula's Daughter. I couldn't get through. I am beginning to think the Universal Monster movies are for me as I am disinterested when I try to watch them. though they are great in the visuals and everything else, I just can't get into the story apparently.

I don't know if I've ever seen this one but most of the stories are just plain horrible, they were super cheap fast B films
and that's why you had some of the actors and directors with these films, just to fill their contracts, wonder if also these were made
to use up extra left over film?????

Post subject: Grim (1995) [ID3272AP]
Posted: 30 Oct 2021, 20:05 

Grim (1995) [ID3272AP]

Had to give this one a spin, found it on my travels and saw it had a 2.3 rating on IMDB.

Very low budget horror film.

Story has been used many times.
This one starts out with a Ouija board gone wrong and summons a human eating troll from beneath the earth who has been
entombed for all time.

Next jumps to a housing development where all the houses are sinking due to tunnels made by GRIM the troll beast thing,
then I think we can all guess what happens next, they decide to go underground and find out why these tunnels
are there and damaging the houses in the development.

Seems like a straight to video film, this LD is full screen, probably open matte I can't see why they would bother with
matting this one.

Sort of like the Descent, people going underground to find monster or monsters and then getting killed one at a time.
If you are into these cheapie horror films that have yet to be released on DVD then this is a major reason to keep and collect LDs.

Should have been higher than 2.3 but not by much, in the way of horror films of this quality I would say it should be around 3.5 or 3.8 easily.

Monster is pretty good for the reuse of the troll/gorilla type look.

Posted: 31 Oct 2021, 16:42 

I just saw Wonder Woman 1984, wish it was an old film and stayed in 84 to have never been seen.

Was really just too long, why do we need this to be a 2 1/2 hour film, cut the fat people.
Story was stupid, but it fits the theme of what other countries are.

Don't wish for anything and all be the same, good worker drones.
If you wish for anything it will kill the world.

Posted: 01 Nov 2021, 22:57 

Been watching on and off The Kids In The Hall for the past year, I think I'm almost done with the set, will scan it again in the future.
Funny series, some are funnier than others, some skits don't age well at all and others are still good.

Posted: 02 Nov 2021, 23:59 

I think the films that are on my list would be:

Big Trouble in Little China.
Good the Bad and the Ugly.
Blade Runner.
Streetfight/ Coonskin.
Boy and His Dog.
Slaughterhouse Five.
Dirty Pair Eden Project.
Predator.

These are films I would have played more than 20 times each.

I know when I had them on LD I would spin at least twice a year. Probably in the 50+ range.

Transformers the Movie.
Rock and Rule.
Heavy Metal.

There are more but I can't remember now.

Thx for starting this, now I need to spin some of these again.

Edit: was flipping through my discs about an hour ago and also in that top range would be Conan the Barbarian. At least 30+

Post subject: Re: Laser Rot
Posted: 09 Nov 2021, 15:02 

I think that discs from Discovision are prone to Laser Rot. i saw a lot of videos from Discovision Laserdisc Openings on Youtube and many of them show signs of Rot. Some of Sony DADC's Laserdiscs are also prone to rot. I think that also several discs from the 1980s are prone to laser rot.

So do you even own any LDs or just watch them on youtube.....

Posted: 11 Nov 2021, 02:00 

Can we have a WTF is going on with prices of common discs category??

Would love to see what others have to say and have a focused category for that.
Been seeing discs and would be nice to ask why these are going so high, is there something special or what.

Posted: 11 Nov 2021, 02:25 

Big Trouble in Little China (1986) [1502-85]

Haven't watched an LD in some time, last was my last review of Grim and before that was months ago, possibly even 8 months.

So I decided to stop watching news and get back to watching some films that I love and have kept on LD and this was the first spin.

Boy I can't say enough good things about this film, probably have seen it over 50 times my wife can't even believe that but its really true.

This disc when I had a CRT set was AMAZING, the image was clean and clear, have a smaller cheaper LED set I was watching it on today.
Great image but a little soft playing through my 3070 on the cheapie LED set.
Have watched this years ago on my projector and remember the image being a lot better so the set will always make a difference.

Read on the comments that the colors aren't as good as the P/S version, I can't remember or tell you as its been over 20 years since I had that disc.

If you love this film then get it on any format you can, the audio on this LD is just spectacular and has a great Carpenter soundtrack.

Film has a Eastern/Western/cowboy/fantasy and more feel to it.

Love the beginning how you have the wing kong / red turbans guy with the bandoliers and double revolvers doing some martial arts
kung fu breathing before he shoots people.

I know this is one of those cult classic films but I never saw this at the theater and only on LD.

Widescreen image is nice, never noticed it before but some scenes look like they are using a fisheye type lens, center is fine but its slightly
curved at the edges, more noticeable during the Egg Shan bus scene going through the city streets.
Possibly due to filming on the street and had to use a different camera to fit on the sidewalks?

This is a must own film to have in your collection in any format.

Posted: 12 Nov 2021, 14:49 

Goodwill has been doing that for at least the past 7 years.

There are still sections of stuff where I have made out very well at the shops.

I'm asking more about titles where there are at least 3 different versions on LD, the LD is nothing special other than widescreen or original home release
mix. Then there are at least 4 or 5 versions on DVD and now more than 2 on Bluray but they are still asking 100 for the LD.

Posted: 13 Nov 2021, 03:31 

Disc I bought last year I sent a message to the seller with the offer saying that they haven't made parts for players in the past 20 years.
I agree, most of these people are selling who have no players, they get a few random discs in LP lots and then sell them off.
Page 19 of 29 [ Search found 703 matches ]