It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 705 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: educational LD
Posted: 03 Aug 2022, 00:46 

Oh it does, please add if can, if you get stuck post a picture and we'll try to help with the missing info.

Pictures are sometimes hard to upload so don't give up :mrgreen:

Posted: 04 Aug 2022, 15:11 

You may be best off lugging the player to ace or another hardware store to find a replacement.

I think this has been talked about in another topic??? I don't think anybody truly knows the exact thread and unknown if these
are the same for different players.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 14:03 

All of the products you will need are going to be for Vinyl.
You need to look for antistatic, either the sleeves that are U shaped or the Elephant Condoms
or paper with antistatic inside the holder/sleeve/inner sleeve.

You can use as muzer posted the paper with poly inside, they are fine too I just don't like them as a personal preference.

Life hint: look for something made that is similar and you can usually find the product you need.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 14:09 

Not knowing of your original question but I think they are pumping stuff for streaming only with no release for home format collectors as much.
Seen this with a few things where they have a master or remaster but you can't buy just pay or free streaming.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 17:06 

Never actually heard of this film before.
If the disc that's posted is actually 2 sides then it has to be shorter since you can't fit that much on 2 sides.
So no longer than 120 max, but probably in the 115-119 min so its possible it could be an original release or a shorter cut of the 130+ version.

You do post and fine some oddballshit to say the least Ted, thx for that, I used to search these types of films out back in the day but now I feel
like I've lost the spark sometimes and love reading the stuff you find even if I may not care for some of the films its great to find info on films I didn't know about.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 17:09 

Yeah I had to source my ECs from Japan, the antistatic sleeves are perfect fit for Japan sleeves which we all know about the smaller inner size than the
US sleeves that discs will slop around inside.

Posted: 17 Aug 2022, 16:44 

I’d advise you give up now.

In so many ways I sort of have to agree with this.
You are going to cheap out and buy any player, if you don't you will end up overpaying for a working player now
and cost will be over 300 bucks then you won't be happy IF and only IF your player arrives working from shipping.

Unless you like anime, silent films, music, odd films or other obscure stuff don't bother.

Posted: 17 Aug 2022, 21:31 

A major percent have no DVD or Bluray release.

Posted: 18 Aug 2022, 16:10 

These two are the ones that I know of off the top of my head, one has a DVD-R release from a bootleg company and the other has nothing that I can find as of yet.

Beau geste (1926) [NALA-10055]
Scarlet Letter, The (1926) [IVCL-10057]

I know there are a few others that I own but have to sit through my collection and search up on line and it will take too long for me right now.

EDIT:
This one does have a DVD release but according to the silent era site its a rip from a VHS tape, other is a DVD-R bootleg.
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The (1921) [ML104758]

https://www.silentera.com/video/fourHorsemenHV.html

Posted: 22 Aug 2022, 14:32 

The rot is from both the disc being badly made at the factory and the glue separating and taking the data layer with it, and also extreme environmental damage. I have Smokey and The Bandit on Discovision and 5 mins of the B side is dead. I have some General Motors dealership traning discs from the early 80's and they were found in an abandoned dealership. Some of the sleeves are water damaged and rotted to the point where the ink layer of the cardboard has blistered and is coming apart, some have mold on the disc, and all the plastic "condoms" have obliterated into shreds of confetti. It was a real mess. The nicest shape discs all play but all of them have a fuzzy static like VHS tracking.

I've had old Discovision discs in the past with the same issues of inner sleeves, these are the only crumbling inner sleeves I've
ever personally encountered.

I have discs that were bought new from the late 80s that still have the ECs and no issues crumbling, so this has nothing to do with rot
of picture quality.

I've been spot checking my discs to list on ebay, just haven't watched an LD in quite some time, and none had rot and none have rot.
So if it didn't have rot it didn't get rot, if it has rot it had rot.

So far my collection that I actually watched back in the day is still good :ugeek:

Posted: 23 Aug 2022, 15:33 

I don't actually think they ever made any paper on outside with all plastic inside, just the way its made you have to have that plastic strip on the center
and glue fold the paper over on the sides.

This is why the bottoms don't ever have splits but sides do for the most part.

Posted: 28 Aug 2022, 15:42 

I was working with some friends and we were going to make a new car company and our cars are going to be branded Bicycle, so it will be cars by Bicycle......

Post subject: Re: Who knew????
Posted: 28 Aug 2022, 22:52 

If you plan to keep them open them up.

If you plan to sell them open them up.

There is no extra value on sealed LDs as of today.

Posted: 30 Aug 2022, 23:00 

Well that's not bad, I got a package 9 or 10 months later from Canada and this was almost 20 years ago.
Media can take up to 6 weeks I believe, but since they are now always short handed it could take longer.

Post subject: Re: Discoloration
Posted: 03 Sep 2022, 14:47 

:lol: I'm dying here.
Why do you have the LD player on top of the TV, its probably causing some magnetic field when spinning up.

Move your player, shouldn't be on top of the TV anyway.
Hope you enjoy older tech.

Search up the magnet around your CRT tube its fun.

I watch laser disks on a CRT TV my laser displayer is on top of my TV I have 2 speakers on there's on the left and the right both about 4' away from the TV. After watching a movie for about 10 minutes I can see discoloration in the picture when I hit the pause button the blue screen from the laser disc and you can see a definite discolor on the screen it goes away after about 25 seconds is this normal? for an older TV? The discolorations on the far left edge and the upper right corner where the TV would say pause.

Posted: 05 Sep 2022, 00:42 

I'm wondering now if it was stored or moved wrong and as ldfan said the circuit inside isn't working right.

But even if it is a magnet, the LD spinning up or something else we can't figure without seeing it in person or even seeing it in person still may not be able to figure.
You can fix if it is the magnetic deal but should be very careful to make sure that's the issue before otherwise you will make it worse.

Are you using Svideo or what cables? Have you tried to change cables, it may be easier to swap a cable than start messing with tweeking if not needed.

But if this is on LD only I would say its more of a cable or another issue and not the magnetic field degaussing issue.

Posted: 06 Sep 2022, 21:13 

I think you really need to post pictures of your issues before you start with the coil.
Make sure you don't mess it up when it may really not need this, it could also need this but we are only going on what you are saying.

Just to be safe before you mess it up.

Posted: 07 Sep 2022, 16:39 

Sounds like you could have left a film on the laser, be careful when cleaning as some lasers have a coating.
But I can't remember which ones.

Also could be that grip ring, it could be slipping at the beginning and when it gets going it will give enough friction to catch??

Posted: 07 Sep 2022, 20:45 

Yeah I had to replace a grip ring once, they are stupid thin and I'm surprised they last as long as they do.

I hope that's the issue and you get that player up and running again.
I had a dirty laser on my LDS1 and love using that player but it wouldn't play until I opened and cleaned and luckily it was that simple.
My other player is having an issue flipping but I haven't had time to see what it may be, but again I hope its easy.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning
Posted: 11 Sep 2022, 19:29 

I'm assuming when fred posts rubbing hes saying rubbing alcohol, wow.

If you have more than 2 LDs you should have their original inner sleeves which say how to clean these discs.
Even player manuals say how to clean discs, please pay more attention and don't destroy our precious LDs.

Posted: 11 Sep 2022, 23:05 

Oh I may be wrong, I though on the inner sleeves that had blue printing said how to clean??

I didn't think alcohol was goo for CDs either, not just film as LDs are made of a different plastic but that will get
between the thin foil and coating on the top of the CD but again I may be mistaken on that one.

I personally clean CDs with soap, water and a very fine sponge that won't scratch, the CDs I get from thrift stores are grimy.

Posted: 12 Sep 2022, 00:24 

OK found it, seems like it was only on Warner Brothers discs but I don't know for how long.
I thought it was on more discs but I guess it wasn't.

I know there is a topic here where we talk about how to clean but I guess this should be a main point like size of discs etc.

Posted: 13 Sep 2022, 20:43 

Well at least its not the copy I sold for 50 on ebay close to when I added the updated on the lddb page.

But the seller is a real doorknob to be asking that much, it was P&S and I think there is some info floating around as to whether or not this is censored,
had all the info when I sold it but its not worth 1/3rd an EV.

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 14:27 

Well the unfortunate deal is that ebay is free to list now, so these fools can list forever for free to keep them up with buy it now.

I think its more waiting for the crypto buyer than a real buyer.

Posted: 17 Sep 2022, 14:02 

Oh I want to guess.

the AC behind the TV??

Sunlight coming in from the window near the TV???

Or some type of motor behind or near the TV like a fish filter????

C'mon you have to tell us. :mrgreen:
Page 23 of 29 [ Search found 705 matches ]