It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 07:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 703 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 26 Jul 2021, 16:04 

Anyone else had this issue ?
Is it a common problem?
Cheers

Not to my knowledge, but I did almost upchuck on my lap when I saw this thinking about all the discs in
my small collection.

Now that I've calmed down.

There are many factors and the first is how long have you had this disc and do you know that its been stored properly
as they say to do on the instructions for the past 20 give or take years.

If they were apart completely then you can't lose anything to glue it.
Would use something that wouldn't have any solvents like an epoxy or type of glue.
You need to line the sides up perfectly or very close.

Posted: 27 Jul 2021, 19:52 

OK Finally have a chance to watch this, picked it up on ebay months ago after searching for a few weeks.
Probably shortly after I made my last post under this topic.

Wanted to add that I feel this film is shot in 4.3 or its an open matte and would never have been widescreen.
Ted notes some great info in his reviews, but films like this catch me in a certain way, good way but my angle on what I see.

I love seeing these better films with semi poor actors trying to pretend to play instruments or the poor dubbing that you just don't see anymore.
Its almost like an exaggerated 80s version of Cabaret and some other films I can't place right now.
Only about 15 minutes into it and it seems fun and I can see that its going to show a slice of time, the before times that we will never have again.

Sad part is that its not on DVD as Ted posted and the only way to get this one is on LD, good thing is that its cheap on LD.

Seems like they had a bad audio issue on set? possibly mic's on set or something, the early scene with a coffee shop seems to be all dubbed but then the next
scene is recorded in the room and no overdubbing.

Post subject: Re: To-y Bluray
Posted: 30 Jul 2021, 19:38 

Yes but this won't, the guy was in Japan and is selling the discs and his parents in the USA are shipping them.
That's why they were unbelievably cheap and a fluke situation.

Posted: 31 Jul 2021, 18:43 

Real hard part is that LDs are not perfectly flat, they come up a little in the center.
So even if you have weight it will never be flat and that's why those adjustments are there to compensate for the irregularities in the disc.

Posted: 06 Aug 2021, 15:01 

ertoili wrote:

Master tape : type C or Betacam sp ( not a D-2 digital)

How do you know, can you just see this or is this due to age of the disc, before the other technology?
Thanks for the pics on this one, mami isn't really for me but it looks great :thumbup:

Posted: 06 Aug 2021, 15:19 

d770 wrote:
Would Anyone have thoughts what this could be.?!

Its a PAL player :ugeek:

I believe there are some PAL players only play analog or only digital but do a google search on that.
Very few play both, but again I think I've read this and do a google search.

Posted: 06 Aug 2021, 16:35 

Sorry, I just assumed that since you were in another country that it was a pal player.

So if you don't have the toslink or optical cable you won't get a change in digital audio.
It will change on screen and you will get different tracks like commentary if the disc has that with the red and white cables only,
no need for the toslink.

If you aren't getting digital from the LDs and CDs I would say it had to do with the digital board inside.
BUT you say you do get the digital audio from the CDs then its not that BUT again you need that toslink or optical connected to
get the digital in digital.

Does that make sense?, I'm still a little foggy right now from some work I did yesterday on the house.

Posted: 07 Aug 2021, 01:16 

Can't agree more with that, some early LDs look great due to early mastering, may not be the best mastering but some are so raw
that they are direct from whatever source was available.
Some are also very bad due to poor source material, not bad but not great like others.

I think substance said it was due to being improperly mastered from tape? That gave an issue with shadows.
Those are the most disappointing to me.

Post subject: Re: RHEA GALL FORCE
Posted: 08 Aug 2021, 18:37 

Honestly you are probably better off getting the laserdisc, unless they ever do proper HD scans of the original 35mm masters. Who knows if those exist though?

Well if they do for To-y and A-ko then they all exist, anybody who says differently are liars........ Or waiting for the right moment to release theirs.

Posted: 08 Aug 2021, 18:51 

I wish this were like an episode or TV show, would love to watch this one.

Posted: 09 Aug 2021, 16:55 

Been binging on the Space Cobra TV show, watched it a few times now and may have my fill.
It fills in the gaps that the move is missing but I think its one that will go after this final watch.

Just thinning my series collection, need to re-watch GE999 again, watched the first 2 or 4 episodes after Gypsy mentioned watching the bluray
but stopped due to irl things.

Posted: 09 Aug 2021, 20:06 

DVD for Cobra, bought it after my regret of selling the LD box I had.

GE999 is LD only, watch it raw or if I can find subs online, but I sort of know the story from the many times I've read about it, watched the movie
and watched the series on public TV during a Japanese 2hr deal on PBS with subs back in the day.

Posted: 09 Aug 2021, 22:52 

Gypsy says what I say, totally agree.
Working is number one period.

I would also look for a good single sided player, less mechanical.
But there are no parts for these players so be careful on buying what you do due to shipping.
Yes you can get the best player ever but you could also have a door stop, I only say this due to no parts and also have you ever seen an LD playing before???
If yes OK, if no take it easy, you may not like the image, I am happy with the LD image but I've had it for so long that I know what to expect.

LD isn't like vinyl to CD.

Posted: 10 Aug 2021, 17:38 

The first 3 are the best then it really starts to get into manga feel and they should have just went the TV route with it.

I haven't seen them in a few years but the blood in most of that time era in films all across the world really looked like paint.
And I'm sure it does look worse in hi-def on larger screens that are overblown bright, I could have the same settings on my TV and projector but
it will never be as bright as the TV and will always hide stuff, even film at theaters.

And I don't even mean that you have the settings too bright but that's just how they are, TVs are always brighter than projectors, unless
you buy a super high lumen projector which again messes the image.

Posted: 10 Aug 2021, 22:49 

I would suggest not getting into LD at all.
While I sort of agree with this.

You have to know that zeta may have had LD as long as I have, I've had LD experience since 1989
and will always keep LD in my house but can't see doing it today.

I have said a few years ago if I didn't have LD I doubt I would keep it that long.
Since I feel I'm a diehard fan of things like anime I will keep LD but as the years go on I wonder sometimes why I keep
it around when I can get or enjoy all the films I like for free or buy on DVD for a buck at thrift stores, much cheaper than LD.

Before ebay came around the collection of LDs that my family, or more my father and myself accumulated was around
50 titles.

I think that now if I could stomach dumping some of my LDs I would tighten the collection to around 80-100 but it would never
happen and I think most in the collection should be around 200, and I would much rather spend that 10-20 on a DVD than an LD
unless its anime then I could spend if its a title I've been looking for for a long time.

Posted: 11 Aug 2021, 15:55 

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8310&start=60

For the price if they are good I would buy one for 15 euro, but don't know what shipping will be.

If you have access to a 3D printer you could try your had at making one yourself.

Check the page to the near last post, good luck.

Posted: 14 Aug 2021, 20:12 

Yes, there is a series, also unsure of its release on which formats.
The LD https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00508/12-023/Shogun-Assassin was the first two films and I remember back in the day
this was the only thing I ever knew about.

I think there was a USA LD that had the first 4 TV episodes cut into a film but can't remember the title of that, I thought it was shogun assassin but there
must have been another one I think i saw the cover once but can't remember the title.

Posted: 15 Aug 2021, 20:17 

Do new DVD players play them anymore???
I had about 3 VCDs in the past year and only have 1 now, all my players play them, even my cheapo bluray player.

While I like substance has posted in a past topic, I seem to stream all my stuff now, once in a while I'll binge and run some LDs and DVDs but not as much as
I used to.
Really get into it when I just want to enjoy some old stuff that I like and don't want to be bothered with ads as I don't pay for my streaming, just free stuff.

Yes I did buy one to try but its cheap and I use it for the DVDs. Won't bother upgrading the films I enjoy that's the main issue.

Posted: 16 Aug 2021, 02:20 

VCD sucks.

Yes they do suck, but from what I remember on earlier DVD players they do look much better now than on those player.
VCD is a very low quality format but it was great as we all know for the Asian markets, cheap and lots of TV shows on
many discs that you can't get from OTA TV.

I only have 1 in my collection now but could give or take it, wish there were more reasons to keep the format
but its so hard to find them for reasonable prices.

Posted: 18 Aug 2021, 17:37 

My story about this that I can only partially remember.
I bought the Japanese LD over 10 years ago from a person overseas, I think I paid 35 bucks for it plus shipping, this is when shipping used to be 10 or 15 bucks.
It was on ebay and may have been from Belgium, that is sticking in my head for some reason.

Anyway I can't remember how or why I found out about this film but had to watch it and there were no versions on youtube at the time, or that I can remember.
It is one of the best, and one of the films I'm so happy to have seen, even if missing the hot dog eating contest, which I've seen on youtube more recently.

Great film, great time, I think I need to spin this LD again, I think the beginning was squeezed for the credits which was sort of cool but only for a minute as
its probably a 1.85 or less widescreen of a film and then it goes open matte.

My buggy. Oh its stuck in my head and I didn't even watch any videos or clips, just catches in your brain. My buggy

Post subject: Re: 97 optic pickup
Posted: 18 Aug 2021, 22:10 

Yeah usually when you have issues with LDs the CDs won't play.
You are working with only 1 laser, there aren't multiple lasers inside.

Try to get it back, don't pay as they didn't do anything and post here what your issues are.

Posted: 21 Aug 2021, 02:48 

Damn and I though I was cheap.

Oh wait I am :ugeek:

Posted: 23 Aug 2021, 17:17 

I've seen the baking soda paste way to fix. Put it on and then clean it off.

Haven't had this bad but I did have an electronic chess set with the same problem, I never took it fully apart and the acid was eating again
so I took it apart and actually replaced the tabs with new ones after cleaning the plastic and all.

If one can its great to clean but you can get those tabs easily on ebay cheap so we do have that option for some repairs.

But always good to see your posts C, its a shame that others can't rightly figure these things out.
I remember a post from a few years ago where the question was which screw to remove first when taking of the top of an LD player......

Posted: 30 Aug 2021, 17:55 

It gets removed after 2 or so weeks with no posts.
I for one will never let it close, this one is great, its like the Risk Apocalypse........

Posted: 04 Sep 2021, 20:29 

Don't you forget about me.

Keep the 100K alive.
Page 18 of 29 [ Search found 703 matches ]