It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 703 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 05 Oct 2019, 20:55 

Hijacking this to get back to topic.
I think LD prices are pretty much the same, I really don't feel they have gone up in the past 4 or so years.

While I have sold a few high priced pieces on ebay they are Japanese box sets which would have sold in hrs but now it took about 9 months or longer if
memory is correct.

I feel that the market is broken into 3 parts as all collecting markets are.
But this market is the following:
1 people like myself you have all I need and am just enjoying or phasing out.
2 people who keep missing that disc or set for their collection and just finally pull the trigger and pay the high price since they are tired of waiting.
3 new generation of people mid to late 20s who want to collect something and figure this will be fun until the players die on them.

Posted: 06 Oct 2019, 14:45 

I want your anime discs rein-o. :p
2nd coat of paint is going on floor today of the sunroom to cover over the horrible tan/yellow/other color mix they put down.

Then I can get my bathroom sink out of my living room until we get the plumber over for the upstairs bathroom.

Then I can try to move some stuff around and then hopefully get all the lids off my cases.........

Its really horrible and I've never lived in a workzone before.

Posted: 07 Oct 2019, 22:26 

signofzeta wrote:
To appease Rein-O I culled my Wish List of anything I don’t really want.

YES!!!!!!!! :lol:

Next I will convert you to using some turtle bay headphones for your king surround system.

Posted: 10 Oct 2019, 03:48 

:lol: Numpty

From the pictures he posted it sure looks like its running through a computer, I sort of remember those types of glitches when getting bad PCBs on
arcade boards or when the connector wasn't making a clean contact.

You can get a great image from any set as long as its setup right, but computers are a whole nother ball of wax.

Posted: 13 Oct 2019, 16:55 

Interesting article, he may be right that there is no room to have another format in the home theater.
But this is IF you have bottomless pockets and can afford to do another format for a film you only watched once on the 2 formats you own already.

These are really interesting times we live in for the home theater, its at its peak but then people are at a massive downsizing and others will just stream
what they want to.

This is all nice IF you can afford all these extra monthly subscriptions, if you have decided to go the old skool route then you are better off buying the films you want
on the cheaper formats.
I just bought 6 films on DVD from the bay for 16 bucks with free shipping, most are not on LD or if they are they are more expensive, but I don't have a 4K
setup and refuse to do the Bluray route, bought about 10 titles and sold them all off but one and I'm still listing it on ebay.

My 2 main formats are LD and DVD for personal, monetary and other reasons.
Why should I re-purchase a film that I already own on LD and have only watched once just to own it on bluray and watch it once to compare
and then never watch again for another 10+ years.

I will keep my LD collection as I will watch the titles and still do, and own some rare anime but even if it all comes out tomorrow on 4K I won't
re-purchase any as I'm happy with what I have and the little money I still own.

I may sell half my discs or thin the heard but only due to not really wanting that film anymore.
I never got into LD for Star Wars or 6th Day or End of days, I got into it because of anime first and then film I loved and widescreen and more recently silent films
that are not on DVD or other formats.
I guess if I got into LD for the other reasons I would have gotten rid of the format a long time ago.

Posted: 17 Oct 2019, 18:31 

kaflo wrote:
It's the laser pickup. You need to replace it.

Lets not jump to repairs Tech Kaflo when he has it connected a wrong way or the computer is not picking up the analog signal.

Posted: 18 Oct 2019, 15:12 

takeshi666 wrote:
Why the hell are they collecting taxes on secondhand goods?

Here you are supposed to collect tax on anything you sell period.
Uncle Sam want's his cut.

Posted: 29 Oct 2019, 02:51 

Castle in the Sky was just on ebay for a buck.

Posted: 31 Oct 2019, 15:27 

Finally I thought R7G image did tend towards the digital look which is no surprise for such a late player, perhaps you should be looking to obtain something on the lines of a CLD-97 or similar for that smoother more analogue kind of image you mention is your preference?

While I never really noticed this I have heard this many times.

And yes, if you are looking for an analog image 97 or even older player like the Tatsuke fave 3030 but that's a single sided player.
You could look for any of the 3070, 3080, CLD-91 or 92 they are older but will give you the best bang for your buck in a certain price
and age range.

Posted: 11 Nov 2019, 16:24 

Yeah, there are a lot of very rare late release anime sets from Japan that the collectards (copyright-zeta) who will pay stupid prices for
MI:2 but won't pay for a really rare never released again set.

There are a handful of rare discs in my collection and that I've seen where the rights are in limbo or the masters were destroyed like ako but
have never seen a DVD release let alone a bluray release and the only version is on LD and it should be valuable but since its not late or you
can't pick it up at the grocery store on DVD for 2 bucks then its not valuable enough for my collection of highbrow collection of bad blockbusters.

Posted: 11 Nov 2019, 16:30 

The other day got a chance to see Joker .

It's one of those movies you can respect, though it's a little harder to like, IMO.
The exploration of what causes a lonely, unhinged man to explode, is not my cup of tea.

Who would one recommend it to?
Maybe comic book fans but not for comic book movie fans, particularly younger crowds. And I guess cinephiles will likely be drawn to it. Not for casual moviegoers.

I'd say it's best treated as if this wasn’t of a superhero or supervillain origin at all; that it's just an intimate tale of a dangerously insane man.
While I haven't seen Joker yet I do want to but I'll wait to get it for free from the library.

You have to remember that all film scripts now will be pushed into what sells now, and that's superheroes.

The two come to mind, when I read about Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, they had a script about kids living by themselves after an airplane crash but couldn't figure out an ending and the company wanted to make MM sequel so they blended the stories and made Beyond.

Other was an article that my wife read about the Star Wars juggernaut, they asked with all these new sequels and prequels
where are all the new ideas going to go, they are going to be turned into a Star Wars film rather than getting something new.

Its a business and don't forget that.

Post subject: Re: Hot Sale On Rightstuf
Posted: 12 Nov 2019, 23:01 

For me its the money, I just can't be like laserbite having multiple titles and tossing these films into the cat bin, I'll live with what I have and focus that money into
proper investing or fixing my old house.

I'm just more contempt with what I have or can get cheap enough to enjoy and will live with it.

Post subject: Re: Highlander 2
Posted: 13 Nov 2019, 01:44 

Ah the Prisoner, what a great show.
I know I posted this elsewhere but I just watched that series again about 3 or so months ago.
Really need to search that list of the important episodes and just watch those without the other filler ones.

Sad they made that reboot about 10 or so years ago that was total garbage.

Posted: 16 Nov 2019, 21:53 

Just stupid people.
My friend had an old computer that he only had pieces left of from his banking days, he said it originally cost 60G and he wanted me to try and sell it for him
and he wanted 30G

I guess its the I have it you don't deal.

Posted: 25 Nov 2019, 21:55 

Xtempo, hope things get back on track for you.
Know how it is personally when things go crazy and there aren't any real issues, can't imagine when there are issues.

Posted: 26 Nov 2019, 04:22 

No you can't.
Remember that there were no such things as widescreen TVs when LD was out, only at the tail end with squeeze.

Projectors were only 4:3 then also not wide or an ability to do wide.

Its like complaning that you can't get up to racing speeds with a steam powered car :lol:

Posted: 01 Dec 2019, 21:00 

I take that you are talking about this version Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) [LD 48864-4WS]
I don't own it but from what I remember I never saw this reprinted or re-released.

This box Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition (1991) (Uncut) [PSE82997-6WS]
I had in gold, I've seen red, blue and silver. I believe Silver was the first.

As for numbers unfortunately I have no idea on either set.
But from what I remember I never saw the first all silver box set released differently but I guess it could have been with numbers.

Posted: 04 Dec 2019, 02:58 

When Grasshopper and I talk about which players will last we both agree on players before the mid 90s that are built like tanks.

Think about my situation, I had a 3070 which I still have today. I picked up an R7G around 2005 had the spindle replaced around
20012 sold it and started using my 3070 and picked up a few other older players.

The 3070 never needed work and was run close to the same as the R7G but that was around 2013 or so, now my S1 and 3070 are my main players.

I feel that these older players before stuff like AC-3 were shelved when they were upgraded, if the original owner still has it they went back to using it,
if they don't and sold it years ago someone else has it and runs it.

Really I feel the older players for some reason will be the last running, caps will go bad first before anything else.

I have 5 players and should be fine for my lifetime, that's why I'm selling off the common titles to replace with DVDs where cost effective and if I really
need said film.

Posted: 04 Dec 2019, 15:31 

Always wanted to own those but even back in the day when I was spending money on LDs I didn't want to pay for them.

Now I'm sort of out of the Disney stuff and feel sometimes that I should sell off my Disney LDs or thin the heard really hard.

Glad you enjoy them, they are great.

Posted: 07 Dec 2019, 22:22 

While I know you are the SONY guy and I don't care too much about Sony stuff that is a really cool set.

Post subject: Re: Selling my player(s)
Posted: 08 Dec 2019, 18:21 

Gratz, its also fun selling off not just buying as a collector.

While there are some really cool formats out there, I too don't care for tape that much and got rid of most many years ago.
Every now and then I'll pickup an audio cassette tape and would play it on my deck but haven't in years.

Tape is tape and I don't feel in the time we are in there is a place when we have so many disc formats to chose from.

Glad to know they went to collectors rather than the dump, most if they had them wouldn't know what they had and would just toss them.

Posted: 10 Dec 2019, 02:33 

Don't take this as a bash.

If you really plan on hanging a disc then you really aren't ever going to play the disc so then it sort of answers your last question about being stupid paranoid.

You could take the disc out and just hang the sleeve, but then if you really care about the disc why would you hang it when it could be
on a shelf to watch/play.

Unless you really plan to remove the disc from the frame every time you plan to watch said disc.

But to answer if this will get damaged, sorry I have never done this as I do watch my discs.

Post subject: Re: Gen-lock help please
Posted: 10 Dec 2019, 16:07 

forper wrote:
Just ordered a TVOne CS-450 through ebay and shipitto forwarding for US$199..

Keep us posted, again really would like to try this but money and time on my end will be the deciding factor.

Posted: 12 Dec 2019, 17:00 

I think the Toccata is more impressive than the plastic stuff on the wall.......

Posted: 15 Dec 2019, 19:05 

I stopped looking at thrift stores and such for LDs, they just aren't out there and if they are they have been dumped
like that one large collection that I wasn't able to get and don't know if the other person picked it up or not.

Just too many standard regular titles out there now in bulk.

Last time I saw some LDs was at a peddlers mall in KY, they had about 10 and that would have been over 4 years ago.
Other than that record stores are your best bet if they can afford the floor space to keep the crates there.
Page 6 of 29 [ Search found 703 matches ]