It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 703 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 20 Dec 2019, 16:00 

I think you are worrying more than you need over 60 dollars worth of stuff.

1 ?
2 yes
3 sometimes, yes
4 unless you really care get a bookend.
5 I don't, I didn't like them in the past but when replacing them I always used plastic inside the paper.
6 above what you asked.

1. Is my current method accurate?
2. Is it harmful to stack LDs? (horizontal)
3. Is it harmful to have LDs tilted? Causes warping?
4. Is it bad that a prop up my LDs with VHS? Safe?
5. Why does everyone hate the 'plastic' LD sleeves inside the jackets? (Elephant condoms) - I thought fibers, from paper, were terrible for all optical media?
6. Warping prevention? What's the main cause?

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 23:31 

I just did a search and didn't see anything, I guess this may have to be one of those things I should do one day to show, or maybe take pictures
to show the difference.

OK Give me a few days, I may do it after Christmas and before new year on this topic.

Post subject: Re: Gen-lock help please
Posted: 25 Dec 2019, 02:21 

Agree to most of the stuff, like some of the rest but don't have the nostalgia for it as much.

I do have some obscure anime and highly doubt I can even find the sub files for them.
One day I'll contact you about this forper.

On another note, it won't really spoil it as I've watched these anime's at least 3 times so I have a very light grip on the story already
so reading something in full before watching it a fourth time won't spoil anything.

Again would love to do this if its a cheap situation, I think I have seen or thought I have seen genlock's on ebay for under 50 bucks and could see
doing something in the 50-100 range since I do have the computer sitting but it will all depend over the next year and finding gear to do this
along with my other life hobbies :lol:

Posted: 27 Dec 2019, 03:29 

One can adjust without the stuff needed but its best to adjust to correct specs with test disc etc.
You can get away without the remote and there is a way to get into test mode on some players without the remote.

That's all I know. Good luck.

Posted: 28 Dec 2019, 00:37 

I really do love when you watch a bunch of DVDs or HD TV and forget about the quality of LD and when you go back to LD
and realize that it was and still is really good to see some details that you would think aren't there.

Then you have the people who say LD is like VHS....... They just don't know.

Posted: 30 Dec 2019, 15:42 

WOW Great to hear, I know that others have done this too but some wouldn't post here.

Look forward to getting some sub files from you for this, hopefully the new year will get my act in gear to do more hobby stuff
and not just what I've been doing.

Post subject: Re: My MUSE LD collection
Posted: 04 Jan 2020, 15:46 

I need to chime in and hopefully someone will give me a good answer so I can finally sleep at night.

Why is it that these 30-48 year old collectors need to have their collections look like a store????
All of these video game collections I've seen pictures of look like the stores I used to buy games at when I was a kid.

Why do you want a room in your house or apartment look like a mini store from the 90s 00s where you can't play anything and enjoy it but
keep it sealed.

I do understand the collection of stuff like toys where you get more value having it sealed but this media/technology collections and other things
Even sneaker collections, closets look like a foot locker or sports authority. WHY????????

Posted: 04 Jan 2020, 16:51 

Did a quick search, some of the songs were changed.

Alternate Versions
The film's original soundtrack has been changed in different ways for its two DVD releases:
The Image DVD replaces Dave Grusin's beautiful "Freedom Epilogue" score music (where the horse is set free) with a reprise of "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" by Willie Nelson, originally heard during the opening credits. This actually works well, though one wonders why a piece of original score had to be changed.
The newer Universal release goes a step further, removing "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" from the opening credits (and in fact from the film completely) as well as "Freedom Epilogue" and replaces them both with a very inappropriate generic harmonica-driven instrumental which is meant to sound like a Willie Nelson song.

Posted: 06 Jan 2020, 02:19 

Sleeves can say one thing and the disc could be another.

The real way are the mint markings on the inner ring outside of the sticker.
I don't have any PAL discs and hope someone else can show pictures.

But you need to look at that ring, if you are looking for sonopress by asking people selling LDs then it may be harder for a non
LD person to figure it out.

I know there was a film I was on the hunt for years ago NTSC and it had to be the one make not the other.
Hope that helps a little

Posted: 06 Jan 2020, 22:58 

Wow, no not really.

I only ever had this Steel and Lace (1991) [ID8195FR]
It says unknown but I swear the copy I had was made by PDO or I though it was marked. Had the block inner is all I remember.

From your pictures I was going to say the sticker as one is closer to the edge of bars than the other but that won't work
as the one on top and bottom are the same with the one in the center being different.

Did you ask before on the forum or was it on facebook or somewhere else??? I have no interest in PAL but would love to read about it.

Posted: 07 Jan 2020, 18:42 

Well I can blame it on forper :lol:
Picked up a TVone CS400, we will see if this gets what I need done.
Been wanting to do this in our last house which was about 3 years ago, can't wait to get this and test it out.
May not be able to give a final hookup for a few months but it will be something to look forward to!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 10 Jan 2020, 17:21 

Space too, CD/DVD takes up so little space and you can copy them fast. VHS takes a lot of space and I know when I used to shop in Chinatown NYC
they would have rooms FULL of CDs that they would copy of TV series so natives could enjoy shows from the homeland.

Its all about space and shipping.
Imagine shipping 50 VHS tapes to some poor country rather than a stack of 50 CDs.

Posted: 13 Jan 2020, 18:24 

I'm the reverse Rein-O. I've actually had a decent DVD release of it for a long time but I definitely need that Criterion LD.

showed their g-string and their t**s.

sign me up :thumbup:

I have read issue with DVDs of The Killer so that's why I said that.

GE999 don't know if you've seen it but its a really great show, hope you enjoy it.
I do feel that there are a few episodes that could be cut to tighten the show up but only a few.

Posted: 16 Jan 2020, 16:12 

Guess I'll need to try adjusting the pots one of these days (will be sure to mark the original positions) using a test disc and maybe a scope. Anyone have recommendations for what I should look for in a scope? Was considering getting one anyway in case I need one for retro gaming hardware or my CRTs.

Just remember you are adjusting to play 1 or 2 junk discs and then could potentially destroy your player.
Good luck.

Posted: 24 Jan 2020, 01:59 

Thank you, will try to get some of this crazy fun hobby s**t going this year :lol:
Genlock and this will be a fun year, need to make some youtube videos also.

Posted: 24 Jan 2020, 19:00 

All three sound about right, I don't know about mall booth but could have been setup inside a store in the mall???

I didn't watch it all as I'm not that into makeup :lol: but if its advertising the product then its more likely that its a mall, if its
showing how to use and sell the product then it would have probably been used back of house at a beauty salon or trade show, or even to
people at the company.

Total shame that these people are probably dead by now and or don't use the internet much to inform us :(

Posted: 28 Jan 2020, 17:15 

Watching some DVDs I picked up.

Starting my Casshan and Kids In The Hall.
Next will be my LDs as I need to reconnect my speakers after painting the living room......

Posted: 02 Feb 2020, 16:55 

I sort of wish I were smart enough to write off the newer crap.
Finished watching Avengers Gauntlet and End Game, wow I really wish I hadn't.

I feel like that rule about insanity with films, if I keep watching these new films and expect them to get better but they don't :(

Posted: 03 Feb 2020, 23:32 

Don't rush.

Posted: 12 Feb 2020, 17:30 

gypsy wrote:
Managed to get a New Old Stock TVOne CS-450 for $100 shipped. Should have offered less I guess, but I'm happy with it.

I think I saw that one, its new so it should be fine.

Talking about it daily doing my new genlock hobby so I should be at in in the next week or two fingers crossed :geek:

Post subject: Re: Disc value
Posted: 17 Feb 2020, 22:30 

spyrogyro wrote:

So what would we say would be a more "safer" bet with regard to those titles that do hold decent value? Late releases, DTS titles ?

Finding someone who wants it.

Posted: 20 Feb 2020, 19:50 

I finally got my first LD player ever! I haven’t seen one of those(or the media) in 20+ years!

Wait a minute, you have been posting stuff about how to use LDs and you never had a player until now????

Admin can we get some type of listing under the poster to say whether or not we actually own a player.
We have these padawin titles but could we have own or not own ld player?

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 17:40 

The good thing is that you have an easier to repair player.
Sounds like something getting stuck or mechanical and I would just run it with the top off to see what the issue may be.
But you do any repairs at your own risk.

Posted: 02 Mar 2020, 16:41 

rick_dangerous wrote:
odotb3 wrote:
I decided to replace it with a Yamaha Apd-1. I eventually got fed up of using the Yamaha because it had to be stepped down.

What do you mean "stepped down?" Thanks.

Electric.

100-120

Posted: 04 Mar 2020, 00:46 

I personally love the S1 its a great machine but due to age all players have risks now.

Even mine I believe is slipping on startup, haven't had a chance to open and check it out, still in the box from our last move.
Before I set it up I will check it out on my work table after construction when I can sit and enjoy some films and anime.
Page 7 of 29 [ Search found 703 matches ]