It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 703 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 11 May 2020, 23:16 

I have no knowledge of this situation other than what I will post to hopefully help you if others don't know.

I would try to open the unit and look at the wires inside to see where they go and follow them to see what is ground etc.

But this XE isn't a cheap or easy unit to find, is it? I would try to contact the company and find out from them directly.
I believe Substance has said they will respond about issues and should be able to let you know the best.
Good luck.

Posted: 13 May 2020, 18:15 

Totally agree, I feel like for what I'm looking for in my LD collection I'm sort of done collecting unless something happens with odd discs I never knew of.

But real reason to collect LDs is for the unique stuff of music, movies and anime.
We don't need to care about ID4 or T2 anymore :lol:

Posted: 19 May 2020, 16:45 

Glad you added this title.

Posted: 22 May 2020, 18:57 

I wonder if this is in the same realm as when I was younger and could sit and watch so much garbage, TV shows, higher voices etc.
Now I can't even sit through 10% of the stuff I was able to just consume all day long.

Some of the older cartoons, I just can't even watch the series, too long and the voices, the voices.........
So high pitched and annoying, I can't believe I was able to watch something like Samurai Pizza Cats and now I couldn't even get through 15-20 episodes.

All of these Otaku shows, I couldn't even watch 5 minutes of Ultraman Leo on the pluto channel for free.
The kids were annoying and the voices, the voices........

So it may be something of our good ole Tatsuke changing or having higher standards that may never be reached.
Tat could like the kits, figures, dolls etc but can't stand most of the anime or shows.

I remember when I had a major collection of POPY stuff that once I saw the series I dumped the toys I had faster than anything.
Why keep toys to something I didn't grow up with and had no connection to and couldn't stand the show once I saw it.

My anime collection has been cut by a large amount in the past few years due to watching again, deciding if I really will sit through this or that series
again and upping it to crappy DVD to take the profit on a stupid priced LD for that completist out there.

Posted: 23 May 2020, 17:24 

Yeah, zeta was praising it, and while the animation is top tier I could care less about the story.

There are a lot of anime's like that and that's why you get ones like Akira or Ghost In The Shell, the anime is great and the story is pretty much great.
Also rehashed from other stories but still with their own twist.

Post subject: Re: Incomprehensible disk
Posted: 24 May 2020, 22:17 

Music LaserDiscs with glue spill on edges

remove sticky edges on discs

Discs leaking....glue?

Hope these help, there are many issues I've read but no problem just clean and store upright like vinyl to not stack.

Post subject: Re: Highlander 2
Posted: 26 May 2020, 18:46 

Due to this topic and accidently finding this I had to pick it up.
Never thought I had anymore LDs to get but after scanning this I'm so glad I picked it up.

Thanks for all for starting this topic and adding, especially Hippiedalek for posting all the important info on this cut.

20200526_133450-1.jpg

Posted: 30 May 2020, 00:29 

Contact the admin to open a shop, not sure if CED are for sale here as its more of an LD but with other dead media for reference.

Also check out CED magic.
May be better for a pickup of the collection.

Posted: 01 Jun 2020, 16:34 

Finally picked up The Killer Criterion edition. Still the best version available is the LD. Though HKR are doing a Blu Ray which, if their version of Hard Boiled is anything to go by, is going to finally surpass this LD.

And yes, the shipping from the USA was heartbreaking. :(

I think we talked about this years ago on the forum but I'm sure its lost in another topic.
The LD is the best so far, and if they are releasing a bluray then it won't matter to me as I won't collect another format.

That LD was amazing, my father and I saw it on cable when it was first broadcast around 1990ish and a few months later we heard
that Criterion was releasing it, loved the movie so much we wanted to see it again widescreen etc.
So bought it when it first came out, enjoyed so many times, may need to watch that later today rather than stupid protests.

Posted: 08 Jun 2020, 16:12 

That MCA Brazil is a cut that isn't on the Criterion DVD, I don't know if its actually released on DVD or Bluray.
Had it years ago and remember it being a different cut but don't remember the differences, could have been the US Theatrical or something like that.

Nice little collection.

Posted: 20 Jun 2020, 17:13 

I posted a website I found years ago about what wires to use.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

If you have time to read you will find out a lot of great info.

I bought a really thick copper wire from the hardware store, very thick and works great.

I think at the time copper was high after the crash in 2009 and I paid around .50 cents a foot.
Look into it. I got some shrink tubing to make the red on one side so I know when I connect the speakers.

Posted: 22 Jun 2020, 15:05 

Really don't know why Jekyll and Hyde Together Again hasn't been posted.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084171/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Posted: 22 Jun 2020, 18:57 

You're going to have to post a video.

Reminds me of another poster who was saying the tray was coming out too fast and was timing it with a stop watch but it was fine.

Posted: 22 Jun 2020, 22:28 

I'm no tech, my guess is that its capacitors, but its a prism and I think based on the Panasonic player and not much knowledge here for them.

Hopefully others can chime in.

Posted: 23 Jun 2020, 00:15 

found that power to the motor is pulsing with volt meter attached any ideas?????

I think I heard about this issue on tripletopper's LX-200 but I think we never found the solution @ the end.

Anyway, if it's easy to follow, you can trace back where the motor connects and see if it goes back to whatever is powering the motor (usually a transistor of some sort or maybe caps that fall inline w/ the motor).

Yeah, didn't want to mention the topper, but he was the one that comes to mind when testing tray opening with a stopwatch....

Posted: 24 Jun 2020, 01:55 

Others will chime in but it sounds like its slipping.

Try cleaning the rubber mat

Posted: 24 Jun 2020, 04:12 

Yeah nothing too strong or you will melt it and then won't have any.

You may also need to look for a replacement or do the plasti dip, search it up and you will find info about it.

Thx ldfan

On another note, I've cleaned heads with Vodka, that's what I've read, this is not a head but the grip, you could try that too.
For my tape deck the vodka was perfect and it worked great.

But you do all these repairs at your own risk.

Post subject: Re: Purchasing a new tv
Posted: 30 Jun 2020, 01:23 

Whatever TV you get make sure you can return it if LD looks bad, you should be able to get a nice image, or as nice of an image as you can with an old vs new
technology.

I remember the TV I bought years ago worked out and I didn't need to return it.
Make sure you play with the controls, if you get a good LD image from your TV right away you are very very lucky.

Posted: 04 Jul 2020, 01:25 

Don't use WD-40 use Dexoit, for contacts its the best thing.

Posted: 08 Jul 2020, 15:18 

In all reality if its been sitting for 20 years then it really shouldn't need adjustments.

These nylon pots don't just magically move over time, I think its only due to people messing with them or capacitors/lasers getting weak due to use.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Posted: 08 Jul 2020, 18:05 

Lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol.
Don't get it on the label and don't slop it all over just on a soft clean cloth.

Posted: 09 Jul 2020, 18:06 

You may get audio but not the DTS soundtrack, same with AC-3.

I guess if you had a decoder between the TV and LD player you could technically get the DTS or AC3 but it would be down converting it to 2 channel so
its a moot point to even bother.

You would most likely be hearing the L/R stereo audio not anything enhanced.

But in all reality why would you bother to collect LDs to get blockbuster titles that you can get on bluray for 5 bucks now.

Posted: 10 Jul 2020, 17:20 

I don't own this but I think from what I remember reading about CLV to CAV there may be a super small handful of CAV that are better.
Probably less than 1% of all discs may be better in CAV, so unbunch and all will be well.

Enjoy the films and format don't worry about the CAV/CLV too much unless you need those extras.

Posted: 12 Jul 2020, 23:43 

One thing I feel with Tarantino films is that once you really start to watch films you see what his films are.

Also another thing I feel is that they were great pre internet, you didn't know of some things or only if you were able to afford to travel to
know that they call it a royale with cheese.

Remember having my first pomme frites when I was in Canada at around 14 or 16 and others when I came back never heard of such a thing.

So I guess its that type of exposure thing, how old you were when you saw it and what else you were exposed to before or after.

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 00:23 

If the other side is a metal sheet then don't put it in your player it will mess it up unless you have an industrial player to take that extra weight.

Also you may try but it may be an NTSC disc.

Seems like its a CAV disc.

Try in your player at your own risk.
I don't think anything bad will happen but again this is at your own risk.
Page 9 of 29 [ Search found 703 matches ]