It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 701 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 15 Nov 2021, 15:57 

I want that Charvel.

Posted: 18 Nov 2021, 04:10 

Inside ring will have mint marks or numbers, check them on the listing page to see if they match with the Pioneer etc.

Posted: 20 Nov 2021, 21:54 

Ah so then if it was working I would look for capacitors or loose ribbon cables or even any wire connectors that may be loose or need to be taken off cleaned
with contact cleaner then put back on.

That's where I would start.

Posted: 21 Nov 2021, 02:39 

However, my question is, I also got Pulp Fiction, which is supposed to be an ok release. I have none of that issue with it, but there are a few scenes where the video constantly goes dark then light, over and over again. I've watched a few movies so far, this one is the only one that does this. Would this be laser rot, or some other issue with the disc? It's only isolated to one disc of this movie, so I assume it's not my player.

Yes fugitive is rot.

Pulp Fiction have no idea, sounds like the video is dropping out somehow, maybe not syncing with the TV or possibly dirty cable.
Even if its only doing with this one disc, also could be some type of grease on the actual disc that may be causing issues.

LDs if bought from unreliable sources do have dirt and smudges and can or should be wiped off.

Posted: 21 Nov 2021, 02:41 

Deoxit for contact cleaner, I know some have said the white lithium grease you can get that at hardware and I think I've seen it at wallyworld.

Some have also said to use other but I can't remember.
Make sure you get that old grease off if you think that's the issue.

Posted: 23 Nov 2021, 03:59 

With the top off you should hear or see a slight slip if the pad needs to be replaced.

Also does this play CDs? I know that is one of the things that you can tell first, if CDs are OK then its something else to look for.

Posted: 30 Nov 2021, 02:14 

Mine was an S1 but the issue I had was a slight film on the laser.

But you have to be careful on the S2 as it has a special film on the laser, I believe you can use windex but NO alcohol as alcohol will remove
the film.

My S1 would only play some discs and not others, I thought it was slipping but it was a dirty laser and it works perfectly now.

Posted: 09 Dec 2021, 22:43 

Could it be cleaning contacts or capacitors?

LaserdiscfanHLD will know more than I do, I have no experence with PAL discs.
Does this happen with all discs?

Posted: 15 Dec 2021, 20:45 

I used to own the Japanese LD, that and the USA one that is designated as directors cut are the only way to get the film.

I may have started a topic or posted once, may have been nissling or someone else who said or may have even been about another film.
I'm only going by memory and this isn't an exact quote. The extras aren't good enough for remastering at 4K or Bluray so it won't happen.

I never saw the film in the shorter cut or if I even remember seeing it, but it was a long film, don't know about too long but I sold it off.

Posted: 21 Dec 2021, 15:45 

Thank you for your post and hope all is well.
I have sent a DM to you and wish you the best as always.

Posted: 21 Dec 2021, 15:50 

I haven't kept a list but watched only a handful of films I haven't seen before.
If I were to count films I've seen many times it would be a top list of 20 of the best classics in those catagories.

New ones that make a list that I can remember are:
Beach Red, just saw this one last night, I'm not a war film guy with this type of war film, not a fantastic film but some scenes are sticking in my head
and I really need to watch it again.

Posted: 21 Dec 2021, 17:24 

Wait a minute, I saw this post before but didn't really understand it so I did a search on what a scanline is.

Why the hell would you add scanlines to your LD image at all?
I hated the scanline on my old videogames and was super happy when I bought my first arcade machine that didn't have them due to the resolution of the
monitor being different than our home CRTs at the time.

Is this like getting a CD player and having a filter to had skips and pops to your music when you playback so it sounds like a record?

Posted: 24 Dec 2021, 15:27 

Just started to read this topic.
I would always do the easier thing first.

I always say clean the contacts on the jacks of the players, these older players do get oxidation and need cleaning sometimes, even the cable if its too old.
1 minute of work can possibly fix the entire situation.

Makes me wonder if something on the inside has disconnected or its stuck with a remote on the R channel?

Should play fine with mono on both sides but this is an odd issue.

Posted: 28 Dec 2021, 18:40 

Another on my list, unfortunately I will be getting a DVD if I can find for a cheaper price as I don't need another format to collect.

But see that there are 2 versions on DVD, one is a 2009 2 disc set and the other is my guess a new Australian DVD so it should come up cheap.
Love the explosions of the crouching body near the end.

Posted: 28 Dec 2021, 18:44 

I can't remember what this is from but I do remember reading about it.
Hope someone else can chime in about it.

Also are you sure the discs are flat, I know you said this happens with all but it may be warped?
Make sure before you start adjusting.

Posted: 01 Jan 2022, 03:02 

OK so I just got a lot of discs and was figuring out what I have, values and all.

Read the posting from Reel2Reel about this saying its noisy, does anybody else have this to confirm??
Rocketeer, The (1991) [1239 AS]

All I see is just a typical soft image from the time on LD, nothing noisy or grainy.

Posted: 03 Jan 2022, 15:48 

The CAV of the Killer is really great, if its not too expensive get it.
That is one of the films I won't upgrade since the image is great on the LD and I can't worry about some new transfer, it would just
be computer enhanced and I don't care for that.

Posted: 04 Jan 2022, 03:30 

There is only 1 disc I know of the production run, disclord posted on a single title that I know of and there are no other production numbers.

Disclord is the only one I would trust, I would also trust someone who actually worked in LD production that had some type of proof but other than
that there is no true way to find out how many of a disc is actually pressed.

Posted: 04 Jan 2022, 15:50 

PULSE (Restored & Re-Edited)

Love it, spend 50 bucks and still have to own the LD.

Posted: 05 Jan 2022, 17:33 

Oh I though this image was him apologizing for remaking West Side Story.....

Post subject: Re: New tax for US sellers?
Posted: 07 Jan 2022, 00:07 

This one made me laugh Zeta, first laugh of the year from you 8-)

Posted: 07 Jan 2022, 19:14 

The vibrant colors will fool you. Great Colors on Austin Powers but I do think Wild Wild West wins overall. It's really not fair to judge just on screen captures and recordings from an old iphone 6. I would say this about these two releases. I think the sharper colors and sharper picture are on Wild Wild West even if you can't tell that from the pictures I posted.

No way am I saying Austin Powers is a bad release. It is not and if I hadn't had Wild Wild West in my collection then I'd probably give the nod to Austin Powers. However I feel like the really vibrant colors of the Austin Powers is kind of fooling the eyes a bit especially on captures and recordings.

Not sure how old you are and if you had experience with CRT sets, red colors bleeding etc, other terms I can't remember right now.

But the reason why something like Austin Powers would in the reviews be a 10 out of 10 and nobody would think twice about WWW
is that, the colors.

NTSC had a hard time working on colors, I don't know the true facts but I know that CRT only had so many colors, 3 and lasers or guns to
shoot those colors where newer sets have each pixel shooting those colors or something like that so you can get
better color representation on the newer sets.

And for something like AP to get that great of an image with such lower quality technology was an achievement at the time.
I remember as a kit seeing a camcorder recording that my father did and a relative had a red sweater, looked like crap on grandmas TV
but when we got home it looked fine, because we had a S-Video 450 lines of resolution and grandparents only had the cheap older TV
with the 220 or whatever it was.

Posted: 08 Jan 2022, 16:50 

I had a copy of freddys dead years ago and it was perfect, wish I got more than the 25 for it now.....
So perfect playback is out there but you need to get a good price.
Make sure these re-sellers actually know that the disc has good playback.

Post subject: Re: RIP Sidney Potter
Posted: 08 Jan 2022, 23:32 

I saw the topic then moved on, only after you mentioned it did I watch the video.
Great stuff, don't think I've ever seen that show, may have not released it in the states?

Posted: 09 Jan 2022, 16:43 

Don't know this player, but I wouldn't bother with the CX decoder I would spend that money on getting another player.

This player may have been made before digital, I did a search and see what player it is but didn't pay attention to year.
You will still get the audio but in analog only except on certain discs that don't have audio on the analog tracks, like some AC-3 discs where one channel is for the
AC-3 and the other may be commentary.

But then you could add an AC-3 out but then again you need an AC-3 decoder and then you are going down a massive rabbit hole of parts to get this player
to work with the my guess of small collection you have now and depending on how long you want to stick with LDs you may be better off getting another player.
Page 20 of 29 [ Search found 701 matches ]