It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 299 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 10 Nov 2020, 13:09 

Oh yeah, I remember you mentioning The Last Chase at some point.

I'd probably go with Terminus, an odd post-apocalyptic dystopian Franco-German co-production featuring Jürgen Prochonow, the kid from Robocop 2 and Karen Allen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJWFmCVUt74

My next film would be arguably the "best" Bruceploitation movie, Game of Death 2, which came from the producers of the early Jackie Chan classics, Ng See-Yuen and Yuen Woo-Ping and even stars Hwang Jang Lee, a famous Korean martial arts villain actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jTgD0p-3E

It took me a while to settle on the third movie, and I was thinking about going with Lucio Fulci's The Beyond or maybe one of the other Italian post-apocalypse films riffing on Escape From New York, Mad Max and The Warriors, but instead decided to go with The Solo Voyage, truly an oddity in the annals of cinema - the only commando action film ever made in the USSR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLXZm-qlTns

Posted: 22 Nov 2020, 15:03 

Laserdisc is the format where all the dodgy mid-90s action/horror/sci-fi/martial arts/any combination thereof movies really come to their own. :mrgreen:

Posted: 25 Nov 2020, 11:31 

I don't know how historically accurate the movie was, but I had the impression that Bligh was more of a tyrant than depicted in the movie.
That's kind of what's supposed to be a big deal about the 1980s Bounty; this was very much the case with past films about the story and it created this impression in the mind of the public, but none of them addressed the fact that in reality, Bligh and Christian had actually been good friends in the past, something the 1984 movie explores.

Also speaking of weird international alternate titles, guess what The Silent Running is called in Italy? https://media-cache.cinematerial.com/p/500x/xlxc0ij1/silent-running-italian-movie-poster.jpg?v=1456507996

Posted: 29 Nov 2020, 15:00 

The Dawn of the Dead box set from Second Sight showed up at my post office at last as well, although just as the regular blu-ray version. I actually bought both the blu AND 4K versions, because I don't want to go through the trouble of having to hunt it down later in the second hand market - and pay the latecomers fee - when/if I finally do get a UHD player.

Oh yeah and I also got the Enterprise engineering playset from Playmates.

https://i.imgur.com/i32oypi.jpg

Posted: 02 Dec 2020, 19:59 

I wasn't aware you could even get Hercules in New York with the original audio!

Camp as an unintentional byproduct of The Thing is cool sometimes but usually with me The Thing takes precedence. I’d usually go for whatever release is truest to The Thing contained on the release, which would be LD in this case. Obviously the HD aspect and goofy dubs have to go somewhere so that’s what BR is for. The fruit and the fiber, it’s all part of loving movies I guess.
This, 100%. Game of Death 2 is one of my, if not the favourite bad movie of all time, and although my go-to version is always the dubbed international cut, it just didn't seem right to not have the original as well, which is why I also have the Hong Kong Legends DVD with the Chinese language version.

Posted: 06 Dec 2020, 18:04 

I was wondering because the first 10 episodes or so that I've watched it has been moving fairly briskly.
That's because the first chapter is about 3/4 filler.

In the manga, Kenshiro fights just the four suits (Spade, Heart, etc. with Joker being an anime-only character IIRC) before squaring against Shin; villains like Jackal and Golan all show up afterwards as kind of filler villains before Rei shows up. In the anime, not only are nearly all those enemies moved before he faces Shin, rewriting them into being his underlings, they make up a whole bunch of increasingly ridiculous filler villains every episode once they run out of manga ones until he finally fights Shin.

There's still filler episodes in the other chapters, but at least they're distributed more evenly instead of slapped into one huge block so it doesn't feel like they're just prolonging the story for the hell of it.

The movie feels like it's aimed towards an audience who is already familiar with the story to fill in the gaps while it just utilizes the bare essentials of the story to string up the various fight scenes which are really the main attract; "see them on the big screen with big budget animation!" sort of thing.

Posted: 14 Dec 2020, 20:20 

Since I just couldn't wait, I also watched Death Machine (1995) (Uncut) [MGLC-94059~60]

teddanson, you should probably pick up a copy, you'd love it :mrgreen: Also I learned the titular killer robot's actual name is "Warbeast".

Posted: 23 Dec 2020, 21:21 

teddanson wrote:
Got Akira a week or so ago. Keeping it now a replacement disc program has been announced.

Maybe they'll come to their senses and add the JP stereo track too.

Maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

Post subject: Re: Elephant Condoms :(
Posted: 24 Dec 2020, 00:48 

The paper ones are fine for American LD sleeves since they use thinner cardboard stock. ECs are better for Japanese sleeves with thicker cardboard stock.

Posted: 25 Dec 2020, 15:33 

teddanson wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
Conquest is probably the most painfully "70s sci-fi" of them all. Black turtlenecks everywhere!

That sounds more like an Apple product launch.

Well it's a depressing dystopia either way.

Posted: 25 Dec 2020, 16:01 

Posted: 27 Dec 2020, 16:45 

I took my player with me to the folks over holidays since they still have an old widescreen CRT telly in the living room to see how it measures up.

One thing I can definitely say is an improvement is the complete absence of frame tearing; all the panning and slow zooming shots are as smooth as butter.

Posted: 28 Dec 2020, 00:29 

I don't think that's an anime...

Posted: 29 Dec 2020, 20:20 

lonerangerface wrote:
I mainly use a Pioneer, since they came up with LaserVision.

That was Magnavox/Philips...

Posted: 30 Dec 2020, 19:09 

confederate wrote:
I'd rather watch ten episodes of Star Trek TNG in a row

That's not really a measure of how bad they are. There's a lot of things I'd rather watch Star Trek over, too.

How about "I'd rather watch ten BAD episodes of Star Trek TNG in a row"? :mrgreen:

Posted: 03 Jan 2021, 14:02 

I have no LD player or LD discs, but I thought of buying several times. The one thing that kept me away was the price (in Sweden) when I was young and now it is the fact that I didn't join the train. But maybe I will start collecting it one day. I do like to read the conversations on this forum so the format intrigues me.
I've spotted some decent players for sale at tradera every now and then, they definitely seem to be easier to come by than in Finland so at least you've got that going on for you.

Post subject: Re: STAR TREK first season
Posted: 06 Jan 2021, 15:31 

Purchased mine locally from a ex-Star Trek collector who was very not happy with the direction Sony/CBS has taken the franchise and as such was liquidating his collectibles.
Never understood this mentality. "They made something I hate so now I hate all the things I used to love to, too" :crazy:

s**t, I had the complete opposite reaction - when Disney turned Star Wars into a complete turd, I ended up clinging way harder to the parts I did like and actually started collecting old SW tat despite never doing so before!

Post subject: Re: "Travel" Movies
Posted: 09 Jan 2021, 12:14 

Does Beavis & Butt-Head Do America count? :mrgreen:

Posted: 11 Jan 2021, 01:26 

but who watches DVDs nowadays anyway?
Just like there is a lot of content that has not left the realm of Laserdisc, there is a lot of content that has not left the realm of DVD. Plus all of the reasons listed above; uncut versions, original sound mixes, etc.

But me, I mostly think of that one Techmoan video where he said "a good movie is still a good movie even if it looks a little soft" and that's something I've thought about a lot. And then I go watch trashy 1990s sci-fi action thrillers. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Closed captions
Posted: 11 Jan 2021, 16:43 

True, but they still need to actually have CC for them to appear, and that's what I'm trying to figure out. Looking at the database, only one Ben-Hur release is listed as having CC.

Posted: 12 Jan 2021, 05:27 

One benefit of getting into Laserdisc was that it got me out of my computer chair with it's endless distractions and into the habit of watching movies on my couch and actually focus on them.

Needless to say, I do not possess a smartphone.

Posted: 15 Jan 2021, 04:32 

starwars wrote:
Could be a a way of separating the pressing apart?

Yeah, the mint marks.

Post subject: Re: New LD Inductee
Posted: 17 Jan 2021, 07:26 

As for AC3 decoding, the best option in my opinion is to hunt down any of the audio processors that also include an S/PDIF output. These units are a better value compared to a standalone AC3-RF Demodulator that are currently way overpriced because some people think that is the only way to go. The models I recommend looking for are the Sony SDP-EP9ES, Sony SDP-E800, and Denon AVD-2000. I would save a search on ebay and just patiently keep an eye out for any new one's offered that are cheap (I think I picked up my SDP-E800 and AVD-2000 for about $70 each if I recall correctly about three years ago). And if and when you get a hold of one of these, you just hook it up like an AC3-RF Demodulator w/ the S/PDIF output going to your current AV Receiver (so you just use it as a switch box instead of a processor).
I was gonna say this; you can probably get a home theater amp or pre-amp with built-in AC-3 for less than a standalone AC-3 demodulator, for the reasons described above. Of course, if you already have a home theater amp, you'll probably want to get one with a pre-amp outputs so you can daisychain them together.

Posted: 19 Jan 2021, 11:08 

Remember all those times we told each other to never buy sealed discs, because they've never been play tested so you'll really have no idea what you're getting?

Anyway, here's a lot of sealed discs I bought.

Posted: 19 Jan 2021, 13:23 

Here's some junk I got in the same lot as the laserdiscs.

Page 6 of 12 [ Search found 299 matches ]