It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 03:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 296 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 08 Jul 2020, 04:44 

Let's be totally fair here, the NRA of the time when Heston delivered his "cold dead hands" speech is quite different from the NRA of today.

Indeed The Gate To The Mind's Eye is a must have! Just keep in mind that the audio level seems a little weedy, at least it seemed to be to me when compared to Street Fighter, which made me soil myself at the DTS logo. :thumbup:
I don't even have a home theater amp to decode DTS, much less a player with a digital out. But the DTS release is supposed to have a better transfer than the earlier, non-DTS release so I saw no reason to not pick it up instead.

It's also a rather unique release in the sense that it's the only disc in the database listed as both DTS and CAV.

Posted: 09 Jul 2020, 18:04 

DTS are the exception to this, but DTS LDs are pretty hard to get by accident.

That's just the thing I mean. If I bought a DTS disc, it wouldn't sound at all on such a basic setup?
You can still watch the analog track on DTS titles.

I think there's like maybe two or three titles that only offer the soundtrack proper in DTS. I know Blade's analog channels are a commentary and isolated score so it's impossible to watch without DTS equipment.

Posted: 09 Jul 2020, 18:07 

Let's be totally fair here, the NRA of the time when Heston delivered his "cold dead hands" speech is quite different from the NRA of today.

It's still an organisation for responsible gun owners.
It's just an extension of the gun lobby these days. They don't give a s**t about gun owners, they just want some of that sweet lobbyist cash.

Posted: 11 Jul 2020, 20:24 

Some DTS titles have the movie soundtrack on the analog tracks. Check the database.
Well most of them do, but yes, just check the database. Usually the analog track is probably just a standard dolby surround one. Some might have a commentary on one of the analog tracks so you're stuck watching the movie in mono.

Posted: 11 Jul 2020, 20:54 

Watched Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS earlier.

Quality cinema right there :mrgreen:

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 18:49 

The remote for CLD-950 is the CU-CLD095, but just about any Pioneer remote will work. Since it's such a basic player, you won't need a particularly complex one.

CU-CLD067 is almost identical, it only lacks the 16:9 button. There's one on ebay for about 25 bucks right now.

Posted: 17 Jul 2020, 12:26 

Maybe the original film reels were destroyed in a fire, similar to what happened to a bunch of OVAs from that same time period?

Posted: 17 Jul 2020, 12:27 

I'm almost done with Babylon 5 and it is hard to put into words. I enjoyed it, a lot. It is very ambitious, and the view of the future it presents is turning out to be much more realistic than the hopeful view of Star Trek. The world and characters feel real and good. Many are far from perfect. The last season is probably the worst but I think in it's entirety it is worth watching.
Well season 5 was commissioned on the last minute with all the major storylines already having been tied up at the end of season 4, which left them hardly anything to actually work with.

I'm still mad that Crusade was canceled and we never received an on-screen resolution to its plot.

Posted: 21 Jul 2020, 19:02 

teddanson wrote:
Can anyone confirm though if they put mayonaisse on French fries in Amsterdam?

Dunno about Amsterdam but chili mayo on fries is the sh!t.

Posted: 08 Aug 2020, 13:19 

I have the CLD-950 as well, it unfortunately doesn't play analog PAL titles. I mean, it plays them, but without sound, which is super lame because there's probably a couple of analog PAL discs I'd like to have.

A nice little gem amongst the pebbles was a widescreen edition of Star Trek IV that wasn't in the database:
https://i.ibb.co/Lt4WvwZ/20200807-223752.jpg
:?

Posted: 10 Aug 2020, 16:12 

Watched the first episode of Liquid Television, MTVs animation anthology from the 90s where Aeon Flux originally debuted. Watching it gave me this strange feeling, like I was actually watching TV back in the 90s again, although I'm positive this is the first time I'd seen any of it.

Well, most of it anyway. I already got Aeon Flux on DVD, but it was still nice to see the original shorts in their proper context; however, the first episode also featured "Grinning Evil Death" - which is also on Computer Animation Festival #1 [72333-80037-6] !

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 00:24 

Out of curiousity when it comes to Star Wars, what is the LD release that people generally go for? The 1995 Widscreen release, with the color banners at the top? My friend had these in high-school (on VHS of course) and we watched them a bunch. They are dolby pro logic, but the picture is probably just as good and obviously they are original.
I got the Japanese Special Collection releases because they offered something significantly different from the Limited Edition DVDs I already had.

Posted: 27 Aug 2020, 18:09 

Kung Fury. :mrgreen:

Posted: 27 Aug 2020, 19:43 

The Kurraray pressed faces have the same covers. They are US releases pressed at a different plant.

I mean the Japanese releases have better art, much like PAL VHS faces have better art.
The US art on those versions looks crap.
I have a soft spot for the John Alvin art. It was used on the Marvel comic adaptations too when Dark Horse re-released them in the mid-90s.

Posted: 29 Aug 2020, 14:01 

Has anyone seen Bounty, The (1984) [ID2593OR] ?

Is it worth watching?

Strangely was taught about that at school

I've never seen that one but I have seen the several decades earlier Mutiny on the Bounty, presuming this is a more modern remake of that movie?
Supposedly it's based on a book that follows the actual events more closely and and paints the main characters in a more neutral light, as opposed to the earlier ones that portrayed Christian as the hero and Bligh as the villain.

Also it has a score by Vangelis which enough to attract my interest. :mrgreen:

Posted: 03 Sep 2020, 12:36 

Just find out what country the spammers are from since they're presumably not bots if they can get past a captcha.

Like if they're from England, have them tick a box that says "agree" on "Poland is greater than Great Britain" or something

Post subject: Re: DADC USA Rot Plot
Posted: 13 Sep 2020, 07:54 

An interesting observation is the rot ratio on Baraka: World beyond Words (1992) [CLV7060] . It is low, and then immediately afterwards (disregarding LDVS-003046 since it is missing) follow Eraser, Multiplicity, and The Cable Guy. I do not have rot-free pressings of any of those three.
Well I mean, consider the movies in question. All the other ones sound like something a lot of people would acquire in lots, and being major blockbusters, would've sold more copies back in the day as well. Meanwhile, Baraka is hardly your average blockbuster. Both of these would factor into ownership and thus the rot reports as well.

Post subject: Re: Rot and rot ratings
Posted: 26 Sep 2020, 19:36 

There probably aren’t very many movies with A in it that I want to see. I was never that big of a fan of his fascist anti-human message in the first place but now that I know how it turned out...that he grew up and became governor of California and started signing actual death warrants...it’s too depressing. The violence fantasy becoming violence reality.

Bad guy appears. A-Bot says something that sounds like a toddler wrote it, but in a monotone marble mouthed way, uses some sort of weapon. Sound FX, guy dies, A-Bot drops another murderous toddler-ism. The shorter ones around A Bot that are still living swoon at his emotionless massiveness. We endure another 11 seconds of nothing at all so the cycle can repeat.

I’d rather throw a Bill Cosby - Michael Jackson film fest than watch those movies again. Maybe Conan...because in that one he plays the part he was made to play; a brain dead murder. And when his girlfriend dies his suffering is, honestly, totally convincing. That movie is almost perfect for what it is and he is perfect in it.
You must be a blast at parties.

Posted: 11 Oct 2020, 17:12 

I just unplug my player from the wall when I'm not using it. :?

Posted: 13 Oct 2020, 22:47 

Damn, I actually kind of want some of those myself. At least this one, on principle :mrgreen:

teddanson wrote:

Although I'm definitely interested in that Arctic Rally disc, too!

Posted: 18 Oct 2020, 00:07 

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, I kind of want to pick up the JPLD of the Ralph Bakshi film.

Posted: 21 Oct 2020, 00:15 

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, I kind of want to pick up the JPLD of the Ralph Bakshi film.

One of my all time fav's on LaserDisc.
So wished Bakshi had the support for the conclusion project.
And just to add insult to injury, you can't even buy the Rankin-Bass conclusion on LD, but you can buy it on CED!

Posted: 23 Oct 2020, 03:40 

I'm not a big fan of reframing 1.33:1 content into 16x9 :/

Posted: 03 Nov 2020, 06:07 

Making DVDs from actual retail Laserdiscs is very uncommon.
Well the distributor for this particular release of Halloween 2 has a history of making some really dodgy decisions, like releasing a cut version of Conan the Destroyer when it could've passed uncut, or releasing a pan & scan version of Sergei Bondarchuk's War & Peace. Their name is ScanBox but they've earned the nickname ScumBox for a good reason.

I wouldn't put releasing an LD rip past them.

Post subject: Re: Toy collecting
Posted: 06 Nov 2020, 13:50 

Just boxed away my Soul of Chogokin Mazinger team, which left me with a convenient display space to put up my newest acquisitions.

Page 5 of 12 [ Search found 296 matches ]