It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 298 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 17 Mar 2021, 03:37 

DVD was tiny LD with worse sound. :)

It's too bad LD was subject to it's sunset coinciding with the very beginning of the rise of widescreen TV becoming a thing in the US. It would have been nice to get a lot more anamorphic 16:9 disc options to take full advantage of the resolution, which was such a major advantage for DVD.
Probably wouldn't have made any difference. Manufacturers probably also wanted to move away from pressing LDs since they required dedicated hardware; meanwhile you could easily convert a plant pressing CDs to press DVDs as well, so there's a significant cost factor as well.

Plus DVD has better color reproduction. Movies shot in low light and low contrast look pretty dreadful on laserdisc.

Posted: 21 Mar 2021, 09:44 

Fabulous Baker Boys (great film) is another one you'd think could be had for pennies. Twilight Time released about minus 57 copies on blu ray. Thus all the scalpers bought them and it now sells for about $6.3trillion a copy.
The only Twilight Time release I have is Zardoz and it's not even unique, it's been released on blu-ray all over Europe by now.

I cope by telling myself "at least it has the isolated score".

Posted: 23 Mar 2021, 10:44 

Just got these things.

I've never even played Dragon Quest :oops:

Post subject: Re: Sixth Day
Posted: 23 Mar 2021, 17:14 

It's just dumb people driving up the prices for no discernible reason. Yes, they are less common in the marketplace - because around the time it, Matrix and several other titles came out, DVD had already become established enough that LD sales were reducing significantly, so much fewer copies were sold. That's why The Phantom Menace is the odd one out, there was no simultaneous DVD release so far more copies were sold and it's probably the most common/cheapest of the year 2000 releases.

If I wanted to buy a copy of 6th Day, I'd probably just get the original DVD.

Post subject: Re: Sixth Day
Posted: 23 Mar 2021, 21:43 

There's a reason Eraser is considered the endpoint for peak Arnie.

Posted: 02 Apr 2021, 02:21 

teddanson wrote:
A DTS edition of Mortal Kombat Annihilation! Still new and sealed because until I came along nobody was stupid enough to buy it.

You mean nobody else was. :mrgreen:

Posted: 08 Apr 2021, 09:27 

Well coincidentally I've always called them by their literal translation in Finnish, but apparently a lot of period publications used the word "picture disc" - which is pretty confusing since "picture disc" usually refers to a type of printed record.

There was also a comic book I had from around 2001 or so where a character refers to "laserdiscs", but when I got my hands on the original English language version, he says "compact discs", so clearly, this issue becomes even more muddled once you start considering the various foreign translations for the format name!

Post subject: Re: Macross News
Posted: 09 Apr 2021, 01:41 

I wonder if now would be a good time to ditch the old ADV releases while they're still worth something :think:

Posted: 09 Apr 2021, 04:31 

I took a look at the set online. On sale for 25gbp on the Arrow site btw.

You know what really bothered me? You know what really made me sad?

The great original artwork you posted isn't present on the packaging anywhere, just some weird reinterpretations to make it look more modern?? WHY would you want to do that? Why pay someone to make the artwork worse? Why not just buy the rights to the artwork along with the movies??

To be honest I would be ashamed to have this on my shelf. It looks crap.
The original poster artwork is included as a reversible sleeve so you're just crying foul about nothing.

Posted: 11 Apr 2021, 23:21 

Personally I just loathe the idea of giving Harmony Gold any of my money at this point.

Posted: 13 Apr 2021, 05:24 

All the excuses about their absurd handling of Dragon Ball Z releases, and how they made excuses for their mistakes trying to blame Toho for their own mistakes. Not saying all of the argument they made against Toho was wrong, but they were throwing Toho under the proverbial bus as a means of misdirection, which made Funimation come off as being a completely petty and incompetent company. End of the day Toho wasn't at fault for the screw ups in the DVD and Blu-Ray releases made by Funimation.
Like that completely insane decision to not only still consider releasing the series cropped into widescreen , but leaving that decision up to a popular vote . Then there's all that stuff about missing NEPs, using the same credit sequences for every episode, etc. Ever tried to hold a conversation with an average DBZ fanboy? :? Remember when the Dragonboxes came out, and people complained because the dub track didn't have the Bruce Faulconer music? And that's the kind of people you want to leave important technical decisions to??

Oh well, at least there's always the fansubbed version with the original broadcast audio.

Posted: 16 Apr 2021, 03:42 

courtlyhades296 wrote:
Jurassic Park III. It's a so-bad-it's hilarious film that would fit well alongside DTS editions of the first two films.

It's better than The Lost World at least.

Posted: 18 Apr 2021, 22:12 

Completely agree with this, they don't need to put out a good product to sell DBZ.
That's the sad part isn't it? There's too many people willing to settle for a substandard product simply because it's "better than nothing".

Imagine if everyone who complained about Star Wars tinkering actually voted with their wallets. I wonder how long Fox/Lucasfilm/whoever would stick to their guns then.

I want to say that I don't think something like that would work with someone like Harmony Gold who makes so much money in their other business ventures that they literally don't have to care if you buy their crap or not, but considering the Sony buyout is complete news to me, I'm clearly way out of the loop.

Posted: 19 Apr 2021, 21:58 

There's like a thousand or something Looney Tunes shorts and only about half of them have been released on DVD or blu-ray. And that's across all the releases, not accounting the massive quantities of duplicated content! Which honestly is just the kind of thing that'll make an average collector lose interest fast, when you can't get everything and you have to pay to get a lot of the same stuff multiple times.

I think it's pretty wild that Taz was in just four shorts despite now being considered one of the biggest characters.

Posted: 20 Apr 2021, 14:44 

Nice work!

Posted: 23 Apr 2021, 22:18 

The Muppet Show is even worse. They still haven’t put out anything but Seasons 1 and 2. Since then they have bought Star Wars and made...however movies they have made, at least three, but haven’t managed to do seasons 3 and 4. Disney + has them but they are missing things.
I think they did release the entire series in Germany on DVD, original music and all. The only downside is that the episode title cards are in German.

Post subject: Re: New guy here
Posted: 24 Apr 2021, 01:48 

The Sansui looks like a clone of the Pioneer CLD-900 so maybe you can use parts for that to repair it? Might also be a good idea to check out the rubber clamp.

Posted: 24 Apr 2021, 12:10 

SCQ3.8 from Marvac (they sell on eBay too).

You can manually eject the tray by turning the pulley the belt wraps around.
Here's a suggestion; you might wanna get a few extra ones in slightly smaller size(s); my player is also specced for SCQ3.8 but when I replaced it the problem just returned after a week or two, but after I put in a SCQ3.6 (or maybe it was 3.5? I can't remember) I haven't had any issues with it since.

Posted: 27 Apr 2021, 13:41 

Yeah, but nobody buys more redundant stuff than Star Wars fans so you or another SW fan will likely win this. Most hardcore movie people only want or need like two different versions of something max.

Very solid point... though, most of my purchases were order-of-magnitude technical upgrades as it was released on each new format (the only real exceptions being the VCDs [the first fully digital format it was released on] and the Faces LDs [which were recent and just for display]).

Exactly. VCD was basically the worst format ever and you already had the VHS but you bought it. The LDs were decades old and useless by the time you bought them. Most fans of The Godfather or Akira Kurosawa would never buy such things. That is, useless discs that will never be watched. That’s not really a movie fan thing it’s a collector thing. If you give most people a well done 1080p Blu-ray of their favorite movie they’ll likely be happy with it forever, freeing them up to buy the next movie. An official and well done 1080p BR of SW does not exist so you guys will buy everything else forever. It’s like getting the action figures. You want them ALL, even Lobot. Nobody who’s favorite movie is The Godfather wants a Lobot.
I feel kind of personally attacked here.

Posted: 04 May 2021, 18:02 

signofzeta wrote:
I know they are trying to get Wizard of Speed and Time on Blu-ray. Mike owns the movie totally, I think. We’ll have it eventually.

If they include the actual original short film, I'd buy it just for that.

Posted: 13 May 2021, 05:21 

Yeah, they're only about five minutes long.

Coincidentally, I watched them on youtube, ripped from VHS, taped off the air which I have very little doubt was recorded from the same broadcast as the ones I used to have as they maintained the German audio and Finnish subtitles.

Posted: 14 May 2021, 05:29 

Norma Martin, Don's widow, described it as "a half hour version of one of Don's long stories that can be found in his wholly owned pocketbooks." She added, "Don worked on this project extensively and the film won an award—there were problems of the usual kind between the parties. It was shown on TV in Europe—but never released in the US."
That would explain the abscence of an english language version - or an official release of any kind at all.

The fact that the cartoons have German dialogue but all the on-screen text is in English would indicate they intended for them to be released internationally but that didn't pan out.

I did notice that despite the art style is very clearly Don Martin's, the actual animation reminded me of the 1980s Asterix films and, looking at the credits on IMDB, many of the people involved did indeed work on those as well.

Posted: 16 May 2021, 06:58 

Lobot is short for Lobotomized Robot. A meat puppet. That computer sticking out of his head just has him work on Cloud City for 70 hours a week. He can play Candy Crush in his head too but nothing else. On Saturday he gets to spend his entire paycheck on Star Wars crap, none of which he ever uses. In fact the storage locker he thinks he’s putting it all into is just an airlock, as soon as he closes the door its ejected outside. Then he goes into his recharging bay until Monday morning, to be repeated every week forever. The perfect fan.
Sounds like a Funko Pop collector.

Bet he's a moderator on Reddit, too.

Posted: 18 May 2021, 10:15 

teddanson wrote:

Funny thing, I was just thinking of this exact same quote in the exact same context the other day, only I'd worded it as "You'll have to pry my DVDs from my cold dead hands!"

Posted: 18 May 2021, 15:38 

You do know that's one of those "ironic" bootlegs, right?
Page 8 of 12 [ Search found 298 matches ]