It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 04:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 295 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 22 Feb 2018, 11:19 

I kind of suspected something like this might be the case. He had well over 2000 posts on the forum and you don't get to stick around long enough to make that many posts with that sort of behaviour, so he must've had some kind of an accident and/or disability to cause a drastic personality change.

Obviously I wasn't around back then, but I can only assume he must've been a valued member of the community at some point. And that's something I can feel sorry about. :(

Posted: 02 Mar 2018, 22:15 

Besides obvious ones like THX1138 or Star Wars, there's a clip in The Lion King that was altered for DVD and subsequent releases.

The Laserdisc of Aladdin might also have unaltered lyrics for one of the songs but that's just a guess.

Posted: 03 Mar 2018, 11:27 

Oh right, yeah, I forgot about the LE DVDs. Despite the fact that I own them. Doh!

But anyway, I was just gonna mention the redrawn crocodiles, but looks like they've tinkered with The Lion King a bit more than that. There's a full list here .

And since I'm talking Disney, they also altered Knickknack, one of the old Pixar shorts, for DVD and blu-ray releases of Toy Story, but the original version is on the CAV box set. They re-rendered the girl statues' bοοbs off.

Posted: 01 Apr 2018, 07:19 

Have you ever considered just taking some good photos and putting them on a blog with a written commentary? I don't understand why these need to be presented in a video format.

Posted: 02 Apr 2018, 06:04 

Man you actually got sucked into Disney's propoganda pretty good, either that or you're trolling hard and just being contrarian for fun. I actually notice you doing that on other threads here too.
Wait, who/what exactly are you dis/agreeing with? :?

I definitely got the impression even during watching it that it was far too busy indulging itself in it's own subversiveness to actually be an entertaining movie. Why tell a story that makes sense when there's a yet another opportunity to yank the proverbial rug from under the audience?

And as for the feminist agenda, well, it is kind of depressing that they decided to shove an actual strong female character (Leia) in the closet in favour of this woman who looks like some kind of a third wave feminist icon with her ridicilous purple hair, all she needed was some pointy glasses.

Posted: 15 Jul 2018, 15:38 

The power consumption should be on a label in the back of the player. I looked up both of those players and neither one appears to use more than 40, making 300W almost comically overpowered.

In the other hand, you can plug both machines into it and have them run at the same time, so go for it!

Post subject: Laserdisc boombox
Posted: 17 Jul 2018, 23:12 

Well this has to be craziest thing I've seen so far.

He only says it's made by Sharp. Anyone have any idea what model it is?

Post subject: Re: CX encoding
Posted: 24 Jul 2018, 01:53 

There is a difference between 2.0 Mono and 1.0 Mono. LaserDisc, either digital or analog, are going to be 2.0 mono, the same program on Left and Right channels. Usually, this is the way Blu-ray titles are also done, 2.0 mono. Now, Warner Bros is the exception where they actually encode their titles as 1.0, which will always be "center" channel. It makes me nuts!
I'm actually surprised how few companies actually incorporate a "true" mono track instead of the usual dual mono on their discs!

Posted: 01 Sep 2018, 19:22 

Yeah, if you have infinite amount of real estate to house all the broken players you like to collect.

Isn't this model pretty much a complete write-off at this point? Finding one that still works is like finding the actual Ark of the covenant.

Posted: 15 Oct 2018, 15:48 

If it works. It rarely even survived the shipping from factory to stores to home, so even if you found one that works, it would probably cease to be that way once it reached you.

That LD-1000 you've got really should be good enough.

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 26 Oct 2018, 01:03 

Max Headroom didn't even get a full release did it?

The Robocop TV series and the TekWar TV movies also only got released in Japan and Taiwan respectively, and again were not full releases.

Post subject: Re: Worst Laserdisc covers
Posted: 27 Oct 2018, 12:09 

Well now I just had to take a picture of it.

Here's the original poster for comparison.

Posted: 21 Nov 2018, 09:20 

My CLD-950 has developed a weird problem where it doesn't read the disc on first insert after powering up, instead making a winding down buzzing noise for a few seconds before spitting the disc out. It'll read the disc fine if I just close the tray again however, and on subsequent replacements. It also reads the disc fine if I power up the player with a disc already inside.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

EDIT: Of course as I try to determine exactly which circumstances it does and doesn't do it, it suddenly stops doing it.

Posted: 22 Nov 2018, 15:48 

Well looking at the laserdiscarchive page, you could probably sort of watch a movie on it...provided it's in CAV and has analog audio. And you hook it up to a computer. Or have the service remote and good luck finding one of those .

Apparently there is a Japanese variant, LD-V1001. Pretty sure LaserActive is it's own thing entirely and won't work with anything except the CLD-A100.

In other words...unless you plan on building an arcade cabinet with a control board to play Dragon's Lair and it's ilk on the original hardware, you'll be better off buying something else.

Posted: 17 Dec 2018, 13:56 

I forgot that I have the live action Ghostbusters from the 70's as well. Now there's an odd one. A friend of mine didn't even believe it was real, not even after I showed him the IMDB entry!

Could you post up the link please? I couldn't find it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072505/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Fun fact, the 80's Filmation cartoon is actually a sequel to this one!

Posted: 28 Jan 2019, 17:55 

Amazing stuff for like 1947 or whatever, especially compared to HDDVD or flash or LD.
Well remember what Scotty said in Star Trek III; the more they overthink the plumbing...

Not to mention record technology is simple as hell if you boil it down to basics; the grooves vibrate the needle and the rest of the turntable just amplifies those vibrations to audible levels. Can't say the same for anything digital. It's a bit like microfilm; all you need to see it is a source of light and some sort of a magnifying glass. A flash stick is useless without a computer, a far more complicated bit of tech.

Posted: 28 Jan 2019, 17:57 

The Motion Picture is my favourite Star Trek movie.

Posted: 08 Feb 2019, 00:26 

I f***ing loved Zambot 3. Which is weird because I usually hate the overly bleak crap. Maybe it's because the villains are so goofy and over the top that I can never take it too seriously so it doesn't get to me in the same way as, say, End of Evangelion.

I agree. Eva was the end. That’s a big part of why I hate it. It killed off mecha anime. It’s also sort of hard to separate the show from its US fandom which was exploding at that time and after that “anime fan” no longer usually meant “college educated”, to put it bluntly. Dumb mouth breathing perverts became half the audience by the time US fandom was at critical mass. Conventions where people could meet to obsess over anime and manga became cosplay orgies where USDM products were %90 of the dealers room. These people loved the hell out of dubbed Eva and they have a stack of VHS somewhere to remind them of it but probably haven’t paid for anime since.
The AVGN guy does another video series where some of his friends hang out and talk about movies under the pretens of being in a rental shop (that's actually just his basement decked with VHS tapes).

They did an episode on Akira recently and when one of the guys started raving about Evangelion, I started cringing.

Post subject: Re: Newbie from FL
Posted: 25 Mar 2019, 14:14 

A man after my own heart I see.

You should check out the Mind's Eye series. I still need to pick up the other two volumes of the Dream Machine series myself.

Post subject: Re: Exotica : real size ?
Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 15:56 

Do you mean that 1.78:1 is always matted ? If a movie is in 1.78:1 then the original version were in 1.85:1 ?
Well it is possible that some productions specifically shot for HDTV probably are actually supposed to be in 1.78:1, but yes, 1.85:1 is meant to be the correct AR.

Even when the movie was shot in open matte (ie. 4x3), a version matted to 1.78:1 is technically incorrect, even if it does show a marginal amount of additional image compared to 1.85:1.

Post subject: Re: Longest CAV Side?
Posted: 04 Apr 2019, 14:50 

I can't believe I failed math this badly. :sick: 69 divided by 3 is not 33.

Posted: 18 Apr 2019, 09:30 

The James Bond movies are a little weirder in the sense that the aspect ratio didn't just shrink over time, I know the first two were in 1.66:1, I forget which Goldfinger was but Thunderball was 2.35:1, but then the early Roger Moore movies (or at least Live and Let Die anyway) were in 1.85:1 before going back to 2.35:1 again.

The really weird stuff is when the aspect ratio changes within the movie , like Albert Gance's Napoleon or Be Forever Yamato. Handling the change on home video must be a pain since you can't just change the aperture of the TV itself, so the picture ends up getting smaller instead of bigger.

Posted: 02 May 2019, 12:02 

How about this?

https://i.imgur.com/x7nEMi9.jpg

This is FANTASTIC.

I had a falcon in '82, is that an '82 falcon?

The figures look too posable to me, they should be more rigid with straight arms
Those are all from the 90's Power of the Force line, including the Falcon. Most vehicles in that line were just redecos of the originals, sometimes with retools to accommodate new electronics. The figures in that photo are a bit of a mixed bag too because Chewie and Obi-Wan there are from the earliest waves when they had herculean proportions, hence the latter's gorilla hands, while Luke and especially Han are from much later waves, which is why the latter has added articulation on top of the standard 6 POA and more screen-accurate physique.

Posted: 06 May 2019, 01:15 

Who knows, maybe we'll see a golden age of boutique labels that are the only ones putting out physical releases because the major studios are too busy with their heads up their butts about streaming.
Page 1 of 12 [ Search found 295 matches ]