It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 298 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 20 Jan 2021, 08:42 

firehorse_44 wrote:
Only way your getting an immaculate LD platters is via sealed / unopened jacket.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Posted: 20 Jan 2021, 14:15 

I just realized, Godzilla is at least a little bit personally significant to me since it was the first time I ever saw or even heard of laserdisc; I distinctly remember a guy playing a clip or a trailer of the movie off the big shiny disc at a trade show when I was little. It definitely grabbed my attention then.

Posted: 21 Jan 2021, 21:09 

muzer wrote:
I certainly wouldn't say "all of this" - problems with shipping aren't going to suddenly stop happening just because you do more research!

Well it does when the research shows you that shipping them is a bad idea. :P

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 11:45 

Just got the OG Battlestar Galactica on blu-ray. Never actually watched it before.

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 15:56 

You'd probably hate Andromeda Strain.

Posted: 23 Jan 2021, 22:19 

Just watched GI Jane. Is it just me or do all movies of this type have the exact same act 3 plot development where a training mission turns real?

Posted: 26 Jan 2021, 19:05 

rein-o wrote:
Just a question, why?????

To make mixtapes, obviously.

Posted: 28 Jan 2021, 16:22 

Watched Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain last night.

What a strange movie that was.

Posted: 28 Jan 2021, 21:46 

My go-to Ghibli film will always be Porco Rosso.

Either that or Totoro.

Posted: 02 Feb 2021, 18:02 

That package is kind of cool.
I was out of production toys at this time due to no toy shows to sell them and ebay prices for these newer pieces were non exsistant.

Was this from the kenner molds or something else??
It's a straight repack of the old 1991 Kenner figure with a new accessory. Hasbro didn't drop the Kenner label until around 1999, and this one came out in 1997.

Posted: 03 Feb 2021, 14:19 

The very first Doctor Who story made in colour (1970), Spearhead in Space, was filmed on 16mm.
I think that had something to do with an industry strike. They used to shoot indoor/stage scenes on video, but the studio video cameras at the time were huge and bulky and couldn't be used for outdoor scenes so they used film cameras for on-location footage, which is visibly different. The video camera crew was unavailable during the shoot of that story so they shot the indoor scenes on film as well.

Kind of goes to show how passing up on immediate short-term cost savings ends up bearing long-term benefits.

Anyway, I think all the Gerry Anderson productions in colour were shot entirely on film, probably because he was heavily gunning for that North American market that he never managed to break into. Ironically, his stuff was hugely popular in Japan. In a weird roundabout way, if it weren't for Thunderbirds, we might not have Gundam or Macross or Transformers!

Posted: 05 Feb 2021, 18:33 

darthmaul26 wrote:
I received this yesterday :x

Yeesh. I hope that wasn't valuable.

Posted: 09 Feb 2021, 01:13 

rcarlson wrote:
There's something about the completely physical, non-technological nature of paper that allows my nerves to relax more.

I mean I guess something like a tablet PC would work just as well, but since I don't have one, I find my physical comic books to never fail me during a power outage.

Posted: 10 Feb 2021, 23:24 

Finally got around to watching that Flash Gordon blu-ray I got last summer and has just been sitting on my shelf ever since.

I'm actually wondering why I only ever watched it once when I had the DVD because the movie is a real blast, never a boring moment in it.

I'm sure it has to do with that horrid unskippable anti-piracy PSA that plays every time you insert the disc - which has now finally been made completely redundant since the blu-ray brings back the Brian Blessed commentary track.

Posted: 11 Feb 2021, 01:20 

Flash Gordon, wasn't there an issue with the film on DVD having too much noise reduction or something???
Love that film but since to me its like any of those films that will never be forgotten on any format so what's the sense of buying multiple copies.
I haven't the foggiest. I literally have not watched the DVD since I got it, and that was back in 2005 or whenever that DVD came out.

Really wish I had the equipment to watch the 4K version with, because if there's one movie that I want to see with HDR it'd probably be this one.

Post subject: Re: Albegas / Cybernaut
Posted: 13 Feb 2021, 04:01 

Matchbox also released that SDF-1 without ships that shot off the ship arms, had to search this one up, knew they had names and knew the one started with P.
Prometheus and Dadealus.

That was the major issue with the USA releases that had removed rockets due to the 70s Battlestar Galactica Cyclon Raider rocket issue that started it all.
I don't know what kills me more, the nerfed US release or the fact that the Matchbox toy along with its Takatoku original are the only toys of the SDF-1 based on the TV series version instead of the movie one!

Posted: 28 Feb 2021, 20:27 

I've seen some really cheap box sets on Mandarake but the shipping gets a little high. In the other hand, they also had a complete Danguard Ace set for a while but it was 17k yen and I sat on it for too long and someone else bought it.

Also I spotted that Dokaben box set several times in the past but apparently there are no fansubs for it of any kind at all? Also judging by the weight provided on the mandarake page it seems like it only contains about 32 episodes and the whole series is well past the 150 mark so idk what's going on there? High episode count would explain why no fansubbers have touched it.

Posted: 04 Mar 2021, 03:08 

rein-o wrote:
I know the LDs were the only way to get the original mono audio, not sure about the last 2-3 years if anything has changed.

Many of the early DVD releases also had the original mono audio.

Posted: 09 Mar 2021, 19:49 

What about the disc? Well, this is a biggie. The original 1983 pressing I have is a 2 sided CAV disc. This 1991 release with the Digital Audio track is only a 1 side CLV release. Yet both discs run at 60 minutes? I'm not quite sure how that was acheived. Anyone know? Better compression algorithms perhaps? Well whatever it is, Side 2 on the 1991 disc is now blank.
Because CAV holds 30 minutes per side and CLV 60 minutes per side? I don't understand what's so confusing about that. :?

Also you said that the old analog pressings sound better, so how does the analog track on this one measure up?

Posted: 10 Mar 2021, 21:16 

Personally, I just like the cover. But I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it!

Posted: 12 Mar 2021, 01:57 

I have stuff like Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park etc on LD, DVD and BD so uh, yes I upgrade but I don't get rid of the old ones either.
I mean it makes sense if you're a fan of the movie. I've got at least three copies of Total Recall already and I'm still thinking about picking up a Laserdisc of it.

Posted: 14 Mar 2021, 05:14 

Yeah, I used to have the special edition DVD of Top Gun and never replaced it...until I got the Japanese Special Collection LD of it :?

Posted: 15 Mar 2021, 02:11 

I like games that are long because they actually have that much content, not just artificially making them insanely difficult and forcing you to go through the same thing over and over.

The original Unreal for example takes a long time to finish because the maps are freakin' massive and there's quite a few of them.

Posted: 15 Mar 2021, 15:49 

I lost an auction for a Black Sabbath LD so I bought this Spice Girls one instead. Almost the same thing right?

Also picked up another oddity from Mandarake along with some other tat.

Posted: 16 Mar 2021, 02:25 

Prince of Darkness is the true underrated gem of John Carpenter.
Page 7 of 12 [ Search found 298 matches ]