It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 295 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 05 Jun 2019, 15:51 

I think some higher end players do play analog audio on both PAL and NTSC, but I don't think there are enough analog-only PAL discs worth getting to justify the investment.

Posted: 24 Jun 2019, 03:33 

We're just stunned into silence by the amount of reaching you're doing.

Posted: 17 Jul 2019, 04:24 

forper wrote:

You should be grateful you live in the greatest democracy where even spewing blatant kooky lies and propaganda doesn't get you thrown in jail.

Yeah, it could be a lot worse, he could be living in Australia.

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 19:58 

What I wanna know is which version of King Kong vs Godzilla do they have?

Post subject: Re: Japanese True Lies
Posted: 26 Jul 2019, 22:13 

There's a whole bunch of reasons why that's not really an option.

Posted: 28 Jul 2019, 21:28 

It used to sell for no more than $50 and typically in the $30s but I don’t watch the market anymore. You need a HM-DH40000U or newer deck for DTS. Those can be $200 to $800 nowadays.

So the tape is likely cheaper than the DTS LD but needs a VCR. These D-VHS decks happen to be some of the best VCRs even for VHS and SVHS tapes.
I think True Lies is the only movie on D-Theater that still hasn't been released on blu-ray and with no so much as a rumor of release in sight, that one tape remains particularly desireable.

Also you must be talking about the performance because I've heard the D-VHS decks (or at least the D-Theater ones anyway, D-VHS has been around a lot longer) tend to be very unreliable. I've heard of people using regular decks to rewind their D-Theater tapes instead of doing it in the actual D-VHS one and that really doesn't convince me of the opposite.

Posted: 05 Aug 2019, 20:38 

Whose brilliant idea was it to put Japan in the same region as the US anyway?

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 14:15 

Must be a later issue. The original looks like this: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-The-Complete-Saga-Blu-ray/14903/#Packaging

Mine is region B issue. 2011.
Oh right, I forgot you live in Australia. Looks like you got lucky: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-The-Complete-Saga-Blu-ray/23734/#Packaging

Post subject: Re: New here
Posted: 12 Aug 2019, 17:59 

You can remove it yourself by clicking the "report laser rot" again and you can click the trash bin icon.

Posted: 13 Aug 2019, 19:27 

heed1969 wrote:
1. Does PAL spin at a higher rate?

I think PAL spins a little lower - 1500 RPM as opposed to the 1800 RPM on NTSC?

You also need to consider the fact that it can still play NTSC discs so it doesn't seem likely there's anything wrong with the laser itself.

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 00:42 

The best guess I can make without knowing the internal workings of the player is that if it uses a separate circuit for PAL discs, that circuit has been damaged in some way. We have a service manual here: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pio ... /CLD-D515/ but hell if I understand any of that.

Posted: 18 Aug 2019, 09:03 

Virtual Sea (3D) (1994) [TOLS-1249]

I wanted to type out some more on this disc in the "what laserdisc you bought last" thread but I figured I have enough to say about this one to give it it's own thread.

https://i.imgur.com/5jY1OxW.jpg

I expected this to be the kind of static "virtual aquarium" you can buy to this day on varying formats, but it's actually just diving footage shot with a special camera and you see a diver exploring some reefs and messing with the fish. The disc is single sided CAV and clocks at about 20 minutes worth of content but in reality it's really less than ten minutes because the same footage is duplicated across two different sections called "Zone I" and "Zone II", and the necessary glasses are provided for both. The Zone I glasses' arms simply fold while the Zone II ones require assembly.

https://i.imgur.com/itZRf9b.jpg

Zone II is essentially just your bog standard red and blue anaglyphic 3D and while it works at some points, a lot of the time it doesn't because anything too close to the camera is too far apart in either field, making it impossible for your eyes to focus on them the right way, thus ruining the effect. I actually tried standing away from the TV but at the point where I could almost focus on it properly, I had my back against a wall and might as well had been looking at a postcard at an arm's length. It's also technically in monochrome and the composite video renders the fields extremely blurry, neither of which help. Luckily the disc is encoded in CAV so you can probably get some decent 3D stills to freeze frame on.

https://i.imgur.com/MdMJvRc.jpg

Zone I in the other hand uses something called the Pulfrich effect (you can read more about it here ; I only learned what it was because the provided insert had the name in the description) and the glasses only have a darkened lens over the right eye, and somehow this produces the impression of 3D. While due to the nature of the Pulfrich effect, detailed in the wikipedia article, the 3D effect is relatively subtle and only works with objects that are in motion which makes everything else in the scene look flat, the fact that this half of the video is presented in full colour makes it look a bit more convincing and a lot clearer.

Overall, I wouldn't really recommend this title. While the amount of footage provided is kind of pathetic, it does strain your eyes quite a bit even after the ten minutes of a single chapter, so maybe they chose to keep it limited for that reason. Knowing what I now know about this disc, I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to buy it unless I could get it really cheap in a lot or something. It's really only interesting as a novelty and underwhelming for it's price.

Posted: 19 Aug 2019, 03:15 

It says "by the end of 2018". I'm not putting my hopes up. :P

Posted: 21 Aug 2019, 04:23 

rpgwaiter wrote:
I wonder what the cheapest player I could get that has an easily accessible RF output...

Well aren't pro decks usually fairly cheap because they're otherwise lacking in features?

The LD-V4200 has an EFM out port so that's one.

Post subject: Re: Value of Laserdisks
Posted: 21 Aug 2019, 04:56 

rein-o wrote:
Easy to answer why nobody is buying it, it was released in 1990 just 9 years too early for the collectard fools. :yawn:

I think it's more likely not a lot of people want to spend 1.5 grand on an anime they can't understand...

Post subject: Re: Value of Laserdisks
Posted: 21 Aug 2019, 12:45 

Which seems really ironic when here we are flaming this guy (for whom English is a second language) on the assumption that by valuable he only means monetary value....
He's still expecting us to tell him what titles he should want, instead of making that decision himself. He didn't specify what he values.

I like collecting, collecting good things, things those important. I like filling small space in my home with valuable things.
Like this, what is important to you? What is valuable to you ?

Posted: 24 Aug 2019, 10:08 

Man, that picture looks so good, it almost looks like it's straight off the master tapes or something.

Posted: 01 Sep 2019, 16:15 

Well that's a bit disappointing, would've been cool if they'd had bloopers or dailies from a movie or something.

Although they're still pretty cool for what they are. And I bet dumb@$$es would still rather pay two grand for 6th Day than give these a second thought. :P

Posted: 11 Sep 2019, 17:24 

I tried this once before and it worked out, so why not do it again? XP

There's only one Laserdisc left I'm absolutely dying to have right now that I cannot find and that is Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie (1999) [LSTD01554] from Toei Video.

You must have tens of thousands of LDs.
Or maybe s/he just has a very narrow field of interests. I mean, my "must have" list is only maybe a dozen titles long.

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 23:41 

I think it's more the fact that the face of the fandom has changed. Whatever people call themselves "anime fans" only watch whatever flavor of the month moe harem isekai garbage is the hot property right now. Either that or Dragonball Z or some other shounen that had the grace of actually being shown on Toonami back in the day. Instead, it's people like us who unironically enjoy obscure 70's giant robot anime who get made fun of.

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 23:52 

Well it's easy to guess what killed that.

Posted: 14 Sep 2019, 19:39 

Not a problem I've ever encountered myself, but I've seen people ask similar questions about other items and they always say the best way to get rid of cigarette smell is leaving it outdoors for a day or two.

Post subject: Re: Looking for Pokemon LD
Posted: 18 Sep 2019, 21:36 

I once bought this LD on Yahoo Auctions for a fellow of mine. It sold for 700 yen, back in 2015. Hard to believe it have gone up in price this much.

Indeed. I get that the point of buying this LD isn't simply to have the movie, but it's probably a $5 BD.
From what I understand, the LD is the original theatrical cut, which isn't on the BD.

Posted: 24 Sep 2019, 00:29 

Watching Koyaanisqatsi might be an idea rather than a blind "seems like" comment, you might like it or some of it - perhaps not but any comment then may have some qualification.
The thing about films like Koyaanisqatsi is that it's less a movie and more like visual poetry - and much like art in general, is highly subjective; it's meaning is the one the viewer attributes to it. And if forper chooses to interpret it as "communist propaganda", I think it says more about him than it does about the movie.

Post subject: Re: Koyaanisqatsi
Posted: 24 Sep 2019, 13:07 

You're off your meds again.
Page 2 of 12 [ Search found 295 matches ]