It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 295 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 26 Sep 2019, 13:19 

I finally got around to making a spreadsheet with all the timestamps for State of the Art of Computer Animation (1988) [PAVLD5018] since, for some reason, this 1992 repress forgot to include actual chapter stops on the disc (they also didn't bother changing the chapter list on the back of the sleeve despite rearranging them due to dropping the CAV side), which is especially egregious on a release consisting entirely of a huge chunk of shorts and it's unlikely you're gonna want to watch all of them in one sitting every time.

Also because I finally figured out how to access individual frames (CAV) or by minutes and seconds (CLV) on my player, so this is actually useful to me. It's not perfect because a couple of shorts started around the half a second mark, and some shorts were split in a confusing way; Max's Room is actually two distinct shorts, whereas the Santa Barbara Film Festival clip is part of the Waveform Technologies video.

Posted: 27 Sep 2019, 00:41 

Watched the original Tron on blu-ray the other day. Was surprised by the stereo channels actually seeing some activity. It might not be a great movie, but I freaking love the design aesthetic.

Posted: 28 Sep 2019, 10:40 

You go talk to him then.

Posted: 02 Oct 2019, 08:16 

I think the movies make more sense if you're familiar with the characters through the TV shows so...

TOS:
Doomsday Machine
The City on the Edge of Forever
Balance of Terror
A Taste of Armageddon

TNG:
Cause and Effect
Best of Both Worlds part 1 & 2
Barclay
The Measure of a Man
Yesterday's Enterprise

Then for movies there's Wrath of Khan and First Contact. I know some of these episodes I suggested might seem a bit odd but I generally prefer to recommend at least a few of the more "above average" episodes since they give a little better impression of what the show is mostly like.

Posted: 09 Oct 2019, 03:37 

Scope shorts definitely exist. Disney made a few, some Tom & Jerry shorts are in scope as well I think.

That being said...does anyone have a correct list of which Looney Toons are supposed to be wide? That is super confusing to me because Warner sometimes crops things to wide and sometimes gives you a choice, some shorts look like they were designed to work either way. Year of release isn’t the same as order of production so when they go by whatever date in their mind marks the cutoff between wide and 4:3 Toons it’s often wrong.
And then there's fun cases like Lady & The Tramp where the full frame and widescreen versions are technically different movies because it was shot twice, once for each. Except then Di$ney gets lazy and just crops the widescreen version for full frame home video releases, if they bother including it at all these days.

The JSC of Top Gun has a special feature about the choice to use full frame aspect ratio instead of widescreen, but it focuses entirely on the flight footage, whereas watching the movie, some of the character scenes do look a little bit cramped, but maybe that's just me.

Posted: 09 Oct 2019, 17:52 

Just watched the workprint version of Blade Runner. Roy Batty's death scene really isn't the same without Vangelis' music.

Posted: 27 Oct 2019, 17:21 

My current Laserdisk Player is NTSC only and since this video is orignally PAL and PAL will give me the best quality I may be in the market for a PAL player if I end up buying a copy of this disk.
Make sure you buy a PAL player that can play analog tracks.

FWIW, State of the Art of Computer Animation (1988) [ID5332PA] has the Dire Straits music video.

I'm actually hoping to get my hands on some '90s eurodance music videos, but I haven't seen any outside of those video jukebox releases that weren't sold to the public and I can't even guess how rare those would be.

Posted: 02 Nov 2019, 17:20 

I don't despise woman alright, despite what you seem to believe, "macho bro jackoff", "incels" (wow, they really like using this one to describe any un-supportive person of this kind of movement), so in any case, thanks for the free insults, and thanks for showing us your true self.
There's no press reporting any sort of reality anymore. They don't even report what the readers want to hear, they just report what the studios and networks wants the audiences to hear. They use the narrative pushed by twittards and tumblrinas to their advantage to silence opposition because everyone is so judgmental and everyone is scared to death of becoming the target of the cancel culture that they won't speak against any of it. They manipulate the media, they manipulate the critics, but when the audiences refuse to play along, they're accused of "review bombing" the product.

Anyway, it being Halloween, I watched Halloween and Halloween 2. If somebody hadn't pointed it out to me, I'd never realized that the guy who dies in the car crash in 2 is the guy who Laurie mentions as having a crush on in the first. It's one of those throwaway details (since he's never seen in the first one, just named a couple of times), I'd just completely forget by the time of the sequel. Kinda like when C-3PO says he's not much of a storyteller in ANH, but then ends up being a storyteller for the Ewoks in ROTJ.

Posted: 19 Nov 2019, 20:29 

I saw this ebay listing and noticed it has a completely different cover art compared to the database entry with the same catalog number.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/e191-Japan-Laserdisc-THE-SNOWMAN-David-Bowie-Raymond-Briggs/392188334816?hash=item5b503f12e0:g:GRUAAOSwBVdcCdhH
Snowman, The (1982) [50LS 4011]

Could it just be a case of wrong obi?

Posted: 01 Dec 2019, 15:52 

You can even mod most blu-ray players region free for DVDs. There's certainly no shortage of alternatives if you're afraid of bricking your HD-DVD player.

Posted: 07 Dec 2019, 17:41 

But beware, eventually you being open minded enough to question the greatness of new Star Wars movies may lead to you questioning the greatness of the old ones...and then what? What happens when you have to admit that not even Empire is that great compared to Bladerunner...or even one of the better episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation?*
Conversely, you could also come to understand that none of these even aim to be the same thing. They should be judged by the standards they've set for themselves. Star Wars is a terrific pulp adventure. Both Blade Runner and Star Trek are much more high brow, and thus come with different expectations. Of course you will always have people comparing apples and oranges, but these individuals are always the kind of rabid fanboys whose arguments boil down to Dragonball Z power level type nonsense.

JJ Abrams Star Trek was crap, compared to the Star Trek that came before. JJ Abrams Star Wars was crap compared to the Star Wars that came before. JJ Abrams has never made a good movie in his life. He makes movies that make a lot of money and that's what keeps landing him work. Other than that, he's nothing but a slightly more pretentious Michael Bay.

Posted: 12 Dec 2019, 22:35 

kone4 wrote:
And a RC 232C .

That's not a model, that's just the name of the serial port!

Posted: 14 Dec 2019, 21:37 

pokefraker wrote:
Picked up a Japanese copy of Ewoks: Caravan of Courage, finally found one at a price I felt was reasonable ~$20

Bah, I've been looking for that one! Ebay sellers want way too much money for it. :crazy:

Battle for Endor looks terrific on LD btw, particularly the outdoor scenes.

Posted: 22 Dec 2019, 17:30 

I think the new blu-ray of Arcadia comes with a full frame version but it's SD only.

Posted: 28 Jan 2020, 14:51 

Orguss 02 is terrific, but it doesn't really explain the ending of the original series in a way you couldn't figure out on your own already, and it's really more of a standalone thing.

Posted: 04 Feb 2020, 22:49 

Rankin-Bass Hobbit and Return of the King.

Posted: 04 Feb 2020, 23:09 

@Forper: I really need to watch Maison Ikkoku but it's pretty unobtainable. I'd love to get the LD set, maybe with some patience. Certainly not paying the current asking prices for the DVD sets.
If you feel like paying through the nose for the shipping...

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1087896809&ref=list&dispCount=240&soldOut=1&categoryCode=0407&lang=en

Posted: 11 Feb 2020, 18:14 

What year? Usually they went from computer to film to tape up through at least the first Toy Story. Since shooting to tape frame by frame...sucks (not impossible) normally you could only go straight to tape if the animation would actually run in real time. Normally that’s avoided because anything you can run in real time you can make even better if you render it more slowly than that.
Now that I wouldn't know anything about. With compilations it's much more noticeable since you have a mix of both sources and you have a noticeable difference in the framerate.

Posted: 11 Feb 2020, 18:29 

I did think calling newtypes a "crutch" was a bit baffling thing to say, in the same way forper calling Koyaanisqatsi communist propaganda is baffling.

Also I'm pretty sure ZZ or one of the other spinoffs/sequels made the whole "don't wait for some newtype to show up and save the human race, save it yourself" message particularly explicit.

Posted: 12 Feb 2020, 11:58 

Wing is just total f***ing garbage.
I swear the only reason anybody would say Wing is their favourite is because they saw it on the US TV back in the day and it's the only Gundam they've seen. They probably haven't seen it since either and tuned out when Toonami aired the original series because it looked old.

Posted: 14 Feb 2020, 02:57 

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/4600/ABIVEK.jpg
"The most bizarre sight at the fair was a Swedish Micra, the oomph of whose hardware could be heard all the way to Lauttasaari and the house of parliament. The picture disc is viewed on a small LCD screen. Apparently it's impossible to restore the car equipped primarily with Orion components and Sony players back to original..."

Post subject: Re: LD: 2050
Posted: 17 Feb 2020, 20:56 

rein-o wrote:
Fools.......

You got that right.

This obsession with streaming reminds me of what people have said to me about cloud-based computing; One said to replace "cloud" with "for idiots", and another pointed out "cloud" is really just "someone else's computer".

Posted: 27 Feb 2020, 18:16 

Just watched Ewok Adventure, The (1984) [SF078-1184] and I can safely say that Battle for Endor is indeed the better movie.

This movie has Cindel's big brother Mace as the main male protagonist, who is kind of an insufferable git and I sincerely hope this is not the best Eric Walker can do as an actor.

Battle for Endor in the other hand has Wilford Brimley.

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 18:04 

forper wrote:
And I'm nothing like Zeta.

No, you hate different things entirely. :lol:

Posted: 03 Mar 2020, 16:40 

Watched Koyaanisqatsi (1983) [ME137-25IP] for like the sixth time since I got it, and I've only owned it since September.

It's definitely my most re-watched title at this point. Maybe I should invest in the first US pressing since I apparently like it so much.
Page 3 of 12 [ Search found 295 matches ]