It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 298 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 20 Jun 2022, 11:35 

I'm disappointed that it's not only missing almost all the discs but the listing doesn't say L@@K! Rare!

Is there something about this particular Laserdisc that is worth buying over the Blu Ray?
No, and on top of that, it's entirely in Russian with Japanese subtitles, so unless you understand either one of those, it won't do you much good.

Posted: 21 Jun 2022, 08:20 

Not related....
Apologies !
Picked up Tolstoy's "War and Peace" this past year. (Novel)
I found it a very difficult read. Perhaps the translation was wanting.
This thread gives me the encouragement to pick it up again.
Thanks to the membership.....

Cheers
I think Tolstoy's works, similar to Dostoyevski's, were originally serialized in a paper and they were paid by page, which is why they're so incredibly long and padded out.

Posted: 24 Jun 2022, 09:51 

teddanson wrote:
In France, as punishment, I heard the judicial system recommends a life sentence of watching nothing but SECAM VHS tapes. :clap:

I'm pretty sure the Geneva convention or something has rules against cruel and unusual punishment.

Posted: 05 Aug 2022, 12:12 

Been slowly, very slowly - I got the box set a whole year ago, after all - going through the ten disc Computer Graphics Anthology set.

Disc #8 is titled "Showreels" and it took a while of watching to figure out what that actually meant, and it's basically portfolio for various production companies, a montage of snippets from commercials and TV idents (which I'm sure some collector would love to see) showing what they can do with the medium.

Also the disc itself was still sealed, much to my surprise. Wonder if the last two are still sealed too.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 23:46 

Surprised you didn't think of The Last Match.

:D

Posted: 13 Aug 2022, 02:05 

Watched Star Wars, again...after getting the new box set, I watched the first two films on my parents' old CRT television, but only realized after the fact that the left audio channel on it was busted so I now I have to watch them again for a proper technical evaluation, and this is fresh off the heels of checking out the various sound mixes on the 4K77, so I've pretty much lost count on just how many friggin' times I've watched just the first movie alone within the past month. And I think I need to check out the JSC again to see how that compares with the THX remaster in terms of the audio mix and transfer!

I'm at a point where I start zoning out in the middle of the movie and pick up continuity errors I never noticed before, or how I'm pretty sure the ghost of Alec Guinness is going to appear to me one night imploring me to stop.

Posted: 21 Aug 2022, 03:28 

Until it stops working.

Posted: 22 Aug 2022, 20:16 

seberhusky wrote:
1 - they rot and decay

According to whom?

Posted: 23 Aug 2022, 02:25 

signofzeta wrote:
Guys, don’t be cruel. If it weren’t for rot and ECs we’d have nothing to talk about with new members.

Don't be daft, there'd be plenty to talk about!

Like capturing Star Wars off of LD!

Post subject: Re: RetroTink 5x Pro
Posted: 17 Sep 2022, 20:31 

I wish somebody did a side-by-side comparison between RT5x and DVDO.

Mostly because I see people recommending Retrotink for LD way too friggin' much.

Posted: 20 Oct 2022, 16:08 

I finally got my first anime laserdiscs too. Not my first choice for such but the price was too good to pass.

Posted: 11 Feb 2023, 14:01 

firehorse_44 wrote:
With value of niche hobbies being nearly 100% subjective, can we omit the disparaging comments out of having manners and respect for other members here ?

My contempt for speculative investors, both wannabe and real, overrides any of that.

Posted: 25 Feb 2023, 14:28 

I saw this link posted someplace else and I thought about making a thread about it, but I guess it'll fit right in this one.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/east-amherst-mans-forty-year-old-time-capsule-reaping-big-rewards

You expect me to believe that out of all the things you could've put in your time capsule, you decided that for some reason Rocky III would be the movie that somehow becomes unavailable in 50 years??? I mean it's not an impossible scenario, but I do find this whole story the guy puts forth rather sketchy.

The sad reality is that there is no organized crime element to any of this, like money laundering; it's merely by the book pump and dump scheme. You get something that is of low value, buy it in bulk, then start artificially hyping it as being valuable through fradulent auction sales - a lot of those insane prices people have paid have, in fact, been paid by the person selling them, meaning no money actually changed hands - just to create the impression of these items going for absurd amounts of money, and outlandish story pitches to newspaper who will of course carry these stories because it's not like any of them know any better.

All to lure suckers hoping to get rich quick buying their literally overpriced crap.

Posted: 15 Mar 2023, 15:20 

If the CLD-99 is such a disappointment to you I'll gladly take it off your hands :mrgreen:

Posted: 20 Mar 2023, 12:43 

I'm surprised that nobody - myself included - has mentioned Twin Peaks: Visual Soundtrack [WPLP-9083] yet. The whole thing is LD exclusive.

Posted: 21 Mar 2023, 19:06 

What am I doing with my life?

https://i.imgur.com/NK06JnH.jpg

I've considered for a while getting the special edition box set - I have no particular love for those versions, but they were also the first time I'd actually owned the trilogy as a commercial release so there's at least a little hint of nostalgia for them. However, when I tried watching the SE making ofs on youtube - which had sold me on the SEs hook line and sinker as a kid - I realized I had no desire to listen to Lucas and his entourage's excuses so I decided I'd rather not have those. Fortunately I was able to grab this off buyee at a somewhat reasonable price. If nothing else (and turns out, even my nostalgia isn't enough to make me put up with the altered versions), at least Return still has Sebastian Shaw in it. And I can probably find someone local willing to take this off my hands.

https://i.imgur.com/YBB5WFH.jpg

I was actually looking for something to pad out my order to save on the shipping, but I had no idea this even existed on LD, so of course I had to buy it. I can't imagine this board has a lot of people who know how big of a deal this is, but The Wonderful Adventures of Nils is practically embedded into the DNA of a certain generation of children who grew up in this part of the world, along with the likes of Tao Tao and Maya the Bee, except Nils kept getting re-runs up to the 1990s so even kids my age grew up watching the TV series. Apparently there was a separately animated movie version and I'm assuming this is going to be that.

Posted: 26 Mar 2023, 12:14 

rein-o wrote:
Looks like someone needs to add this and explain that there is a different cover in the comments unless you can get a good image of that other cover
and send it to the admin.

I guess that would probably have to be me since I've got that green variant cover.

Posted: 08 Apr 2023, 12:30 

admin wrote:
Why not simply enter that list in your collection on this website?

(it's empty now: https://www.lddb.com/account/jesuslovesgood)

Skipping Manual/Excel/File handling of collections is kind of the reason I started LDDb...

Julien

It's been a year and he still hasn't added anything. :|

Posted: 21 Apr 2023, 14:13 

Well apparently the upcoming UHD and Blu-Ray from Arrow is supposed to come with the actual Japanese cut of Way of the Dragon so I guess there's that to look forward to.

Posted: 17 Jun 2023, 11:42 

Headmasters, Victory, Masterforce, Zone, Scramble City, all of those never hit LD.
Headmasters is on LD.

Transformers: Headmasters (1996) [VSL-2]

Everything else is pretty much correct. The LDs feature the Japanese versions of the episodes, which are not only dubbed but also edited for length to accommodate the longer OP and ED. I think they also include the clip shows, and all the Skyfire episodes are at the very end of season 2 I think because of all the legal tangles behind that character.

There's pretty much no point in getting any of them, since I think Pioneer actually released the series on SDBD in Japan, and it's the same Japanese versions that are on the LD. The only thing you'd get is the commercials and I'm not 100% sure if those aren't on the Japanese DVDs too anyway. The Western DVD releases of Headmasters omit pre-title card sequences, eyecatchers and NEPs and I'm pretty confident the JP DVD has those, too.

Posted: 07 Jul 2023, 00:16 

Just watched the TV cut of Superman: The Movie.

Most of the added scenes aren't really new anymore since the special edition added a good chunk of them back, but apart from a few whole scenes added back in, most of the added stuff is just trims and scene extensions with more dialogue. It's pretty seamless for the most part, although they definitely make the film far more bloated and there are a few scenes that made me go "yeah I can see why this was cut". For example, in both theatrical and the special edition, when Lex says "by causing the deaths of innocent people", it cuts right to the missile launch, which is a nice dramatic transition - but in the TV version, there's this weird split second cut to Superman as if it wants to show his reaction, but then immediately changes it's mind and cuts back to Lex winking at Otis, and then to Otis winking back at him, and THEN it cuts to the missile launch.

Also the TV cut makes a plot hole I never noticed before way more obvious; Otis botches the reprogramming of the first missile and I always assumed the reason Teschmacher does it next is to fix it, but because of an added scene of Luthor raging about Otis' mistake, I now realize that the one she reprograms is the second missile, and she punches in a completely different set of numbers, meaning this should be the second missile in Lex's double jeopardy - but Otis' mistake is never actually corrected, at least on screen.

Posted: 19 Jul 2023, 11:04 

The curse of future proofing strikes again.

Posted: 20 Jul 2023, 14:18 

I simply embrace the chaos.

Posted: 23 Jul 2023, 12:05 

Isn't Panasonic an alright brand?

Even if you keep it, you'd still be left with three players which oughta be plenty in case one of them fails.

Posted: 14 Aug 2023, 00:59 

therussian wrote:
Torrent it is then. I will never pay for digital / one off or subscription based.

I like being able to watch entire series at my own leisure instead of being forced to bingewatch it out of fear it might simply disappear tomorrow because the content provider simply didn't feel like it anymore.
Page 11 of 12 [ Search found 298 matches ]