It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 298 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 16 Sep 2023, 22:06 

There are others, like Alien, Aliens, T2 like Substance mentioned, but I personally can't watch T2 anymore, used to love that film
but now I see its too focused on kids, maybe since I've grown up I don't need to see them anymore?
That's kind of funny since it's still an R-rated movie. I think the issue isn't so much that it's "for kids", it's that it's way more mainstream than its predecessor.

Speaking of R-rated movies, the R-rated version of Re-Animator actually runs a little longer than the unrated one due to all the deleted scenes that were added back in to pad up the runtime for all the scenes that got cut in return. Well, you can now get a version of the movie that keeps the footage from both cuts but I still think the unrated version is the better one, and I'm not talking about the gore here (I've never seen the actual R-rated version anyway).

The dinner scene runs a little longer; after Dan and Megan leave, Dr Halsey and Dr Hill continue their conversation, during which Hill hypnotizes Halsey into getting rid of Dan. While this scene does explain why Halsey acts uncharacteristically hostile towards Dan when the latter confronts him about what West has been up to, it also spoils the surprise of Hill having any sort of hypnotic ability.

Terminator 2 I think is still a valid mention, but I'm referring more to the extended cut with the coda ending, which to me just feels unnecessary and cheesy.

Posted: 17 Sep 2023, 17:47 

Wasn't robocop just cut in seconds rather than actual minutes?
I actually haven't seen the original release since I sold it off when I picked up the criterion release, guess I should get a copy since its technically the theatrical release.
Yeah, IIRC the only added footage is a few seconds that extend the deaths of Kinney, Murphy and Boddicker. They're otherwise exactly the same.

Posted: 25 Sep 2023, 01:48 

You mean because or despite of all the things he got wrong? :P

Posted: 25 Sep 2023, 15:18 

You mean because or despite of all the things he got wrong? :P

Let's find them all :-)

1/ Talking about Dolby Digital in 1992 while showing a Dolby Surround release

2/ Batman Returns was not the first AC3RF release -- it was not even released with Dolby Digital!
That honor goes to Clear and Present Danger (1994) [LV 32463-2WS] released in 1995.

Your turn!

Julien
3) spending over a grand on a LaserActive :mrgreen:

Posted: 30 Sep 2023, 22:49 

The Alien movies definitely come to mind. Haven't seen them in awhile but I remember preferring the shorter version of one of them for sure.

This can be relevant for anime as well. I really prefer the movie trilogy for the OG gundam over the series these days.
The "director's cut" of Alien is such a weird creature. Calling it a director's cut is a bit of a misnomer anyway since even Ridley Scott himself admits that he prefers the theatrical cut; the alternate cut that's been included with the film probably at least since the DVD box set is basically just an interesting effort to place the formerly deleted scenes into the full context of the movie. Which I wouldn't necessarily say I like, but I do appreciate.

Posted: 09 Oct 2023, 15:26 

The only time I've had a physical defect on a new DVD was the special edition of Mad Max which had this weird indent on one side where the plastic seemed slightly warped around it. Obviously it would not play past that part and I got a replacement. Still a weird thing to have.

I have had blu-ray discs go bad while owning them, the old Lion's Gate Rambo Trilogy box set played fine when I got it but when I re-watched them years later, none of them would play past the layer change and I noticed all the discs had turned this slightly bronze color.

Post subject: Re: Laser Rot
Posted: 15 Oct 2023, 15:32 

I think a good example of how the rot status can be pretty unreliable is this.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999) [PILF-2830]

I don't recall it being rated that high before. I have some doubts about the veracity of these reports.

Posted: 02 Dec 2023, 04:48 

From what I've seen of people actually try to turn domesdayed RF signal into watchable video, it's gonna be a long time before it looks better than just actually running the video through a decent player with a decent video processors and capturing it the old fashioned way.

Posted: 06 Dec 2023, 16:17 

Okay now I saw it all.

Pawn stars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHFhA9NC8qg

I can buy a damn gold bar for the amount that is being asked.
There is no freaking way that a mass produced item like a VHS can cost this much just because it was put in an acrylic case.
There's a pretty good chance the guy who brought those in is part of the scam. It happened with the videogame episode.

Posted: 12 Dec 2023, 00:32 

skyjedi2020 wrote:
Started watching Yamato III on DVD with no subs i have no idea what is going on but at least its an official release.

Ironically it's probably a less confusing experience than watching it with the subs that currently exist for it.

Posted: 08 Jan 2024, 15:41 

admin wrote:
The Batman one is especially weird because the cover is graded at 8 but you can clearly see it has bents and creases, it would be a 6~7 at most on LDDb.
They can't even grade properly.

Sounds a lot like WATA then.

Posted: 29 Jan 2024, 11:03 

Posted: 16 Feb 2024, 15:52 

I don't usually post my toy purchases here, because 1) I buy a lot, and 2) I don't want to end up like tasuke, but in a case like this one, I'm making an exception.

Posted: 29 Feb 2024, 14:25 

I have an LG RC388 and despite the fact that it will play PAL and NTSC alike on both DVD and VHS, it refuses to take in NTSC signal, so that's probably another thing to look out for.

Post subject: Re: VideoCD (VCD) replay
Posted: 02 Mar 2024, 21:34 

hawkwind wrote:
So, CED is a subcategory here, but not VCD...

Are there a lot of bootleg CEDs?

Posted: 12 Mar 2024, 00:32 

ldfan wrote:
Had no idea Senna was an LD guy back in the day.

They made one in his memory so it's appropriate.

Ayrton Senna: The History 1960-1994 (1994) [PILW-1171]

Posted: 21 Apr 2024, 02:08 

Death Race 2000.

Surprised when the only db entry for it is a CED release.
Page 12 of 12 [ Search found 298 matches ]