It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 296 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 28 May 2021, 15:17 

But nobody really cares!
Probably because they're not a lot of use unless you actually know the language.

There's loads of Finnish Karaoke discs too, but I'm guessing the reason there aren't any on LDDB is because the people who do collect them probably aren't interested in anything else (and probably don't even speak english), so they don't join the website, and since they only collect Karaoke titles, they'll also settle for PAL only players which only seem to be in demand with European Karaoke collectors since they're cheap and play both analog and digital PAL titles but are in low demand with people who collect the movies and want the dual standard capability.

It's like a completely separate subsection of the LD collecting community with very little overlap.

Posted: 03 Jun 2021, 09:08 

I guess even a rotten disc is good for something after all :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: getting out of storage
Posted: 17 Jun 2021, 20:36 

82 is kinda high but probably not an issue.
Well it'd better not be, because my apartment can go up to 86 during summer.

So wait, you guys have single payer healthcare but no air conditioning? That’s impressive. If my house hit 86 I’d probably...end up in the hospital. I hate heat and cannot stand it.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure summers back when I was a child were never this hot. Then again, I also lived in a house in the country surrounded by trees, not in a concrete block with no shade whatsoever.

Posted: 18 Jun 2021, 21:35 

Just got a bunch of He-Man toys. I've never owned any in the past, but the new Origins toyline appears to have actually made it to the shores of this distant lands (or at least some of our online retailers anyway) so I felt compelled to buy them on principle.

Posted: 22 Jun 2021, 16:10 

teddanson wrote:
the old blend of toilet seat meets Atari Jaguar CD design aesthetic

But the Jaguar CD already looked like a toilet seat!

Post subject: Re: Extracting laserdiscs?
Posted: 23 Jun 2021, 11:49 

jadefalcon wrote:
I have a handful of rotted disks with no valve otherwise

Become a rap artist and hang them around your neck for the raddest bling in the neighborhood. The street cred you'd get is worth way more than the puny amount of aluminum in them that'd be almost impossible to separate, like Zeta points out.

Posted: 28 Jun 2021, 15:39 

Stockholders. That’s pretty much it. Greed these days is even greedier than it used to be.

I mean, sure, Walt was an evil POS who loved money but at the same time never ever would have made, for example, Cinderella II...52 years after the original, after literally every single person who worked on the first one retired or died. It has an %11 on Rotten Tomatoes...but stockholders are happy, the movie made $120M out of $5M. That’s the kind of money they used to buy Muppets and Star Wars and all that.

They have no idea WTF to do with the Muppets, btw. It’s soulless money machine with nobody at the wheel. I wish they’d either end it or put a real hippie in charge of the whole thing but neither will happen. Instead we’ll have a Kermit and a Rowlf that say what billionaires think they would say.
It's the stockholder/boardroom member/whatever financial advisor BS mentality that's causing movies and popular entertainment in general wind up like cable network television where all the channels began to drop their special content for more mainstream junk until they all pretty much just became the same thing.

Posted: 30 Jun 2021, 16:32 

Just got this in my last Mandarake shipment. This goes here, right?

Posted: 08 Jul 2021, 06:38 

Could not have said it better myself. Recently a friend asked why I don't watch much new anime and I told him it just doesn't appeal to me. This is a lot to do with why, so much is just made to be a safe cash cow.
I just don't like the gratuitous fanservice in modern stuff. Most of the time it just comes across as completely unnecessary at best and creates a huge tonal whiplash at worst.

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
Posted: 08 Jul 2021, 11:09 

Not to get texture maps and green screen BG, to shoot the show.
Except The Underworld which is almost entirely chroma key. :mrgreen:

Personally, I find classic Who's strongest asset the format; because they had to make the most out of the sets they'd built, stories had to be stretched across multiple episodes, but it also meant that you spent more time with the supporting characters who ended up as far more fleshed out thanks to the additional screentime. I find myself far more emotionally attached to characters like the crew of the mining vessel in Robots of Death or the chief operator of the nuclear plant in The Hand of Fear than practically anybody in nu-Who.

Posted: 16 Jul 2021, 13:38 

Thanks to a fella on laserdiscord for pointing this out to me, I finally own this absolute unit.

Computer Graphics Anthology (1988) [VLI83173~82]

Posted: 25 Jul 2021, 22:31 

Is this your first laserdisc player?

Posted: 19 Aug 2021, 23:48 

I always thought the biggest advantage of UHD wasn't the added resolution but the HDR...which is pretty pointless on a black & white film.

Posted: 18 Sep 2021, 13:46 

Please at least wait until we’re dead before you break all the players in shipping and make a graded copy of Hunt for Red October “worth” over $1.5M.
I watched a video about that sh!t the other day. The most infuriating part about it is the way the mainstream media just went along with propagating the fraud because none of them actually bothered to investigate the matter.

My mother actually showed me an article in a newspaper about the $1.5 mill Mario 64 and even though I know very little about the retro game market and I know some of them go for a lot, I knew immediately that at that kind of price there's no way there's anything perfectly legal going on behind this.

Posted: 28 Sep 2021, 18:20 

Have you tried replacing the load belt?

With the player open, try locating the front loading mechanism pulley. While it's trying to load a disc, reach under the tray and give it a little nudge in whichever direction it gives (anyone remember the direction?); if that helps the player finish the loading procedure, the belt is your most likely culprit. I had the same symptom myself but mine would still play CDs so it's possible yours is even more loose than mine was.

Posted: 28 Sep 2021, 20:48 

That's a model with a built-in LD+G decoder isn't it? Wouldn't mind owning one of those myself.

I do hope people aren't going to buy these and cannibalize them, these are really nice players and don't deserve this type of abuse.
Also seconding this.

I hope that second machine can be fixed with a simple belt swap, then you can adopt that as your player and put the broken one in the proverbial backburner.

Posted: 08 Oct 2021, 18:49 

The film itself isn't very long, a mere 23 minutes. Inside the cassette keep case you get 2 pairs of yellow 3D glasses with one black lens and one clear lens. I hadn't seen this combination before, but upon further research I discovered that the film uses the Pulfrich 3D technique, and thus the spectacles bundled in with this release are Pulfrich 3D glasses.
Hey, I talked about a Laserdisc that uses this, too!

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8580

:mrgreen:

Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 16:15 

I was buying a trading card from mandarake and I wanted to buy something else along with it, so I got these two.

...and it turns out I already own the said card anyway. Probably should've checked beforehand. Whoops!

Posted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:32 

Any Laserdisc player that works is a good player.

Unfortunately that's rarely the case these days with Sony machines.

Posted: 14 Oct 2021, 15:15 

Pretty much all of that, yeah. It took me about two years before I finally came across a working player with a price/condition ratio I considered acceptable.

One thing that definitely helps is figuring out in advance what you even want to collect. If you're looking to own a physical copy of something incredibly niche that might not even be available on any modern format and also isn't popular enough to warrant some kind of a fan restoration then there's definitely an appeal and the money sink might even be worth it to you. But if all you're gonna buy is common as dirt 1990s blockbusters or Star Wars then yeah, I'm also gonna second the "give up" part. If you can get it in a much higher quality on a more accessible format that doesn't require esoteric, obsolete equipment to play it, then why not do that instead?

Posted: 16 Oct 2021, 05:13 

Sorry not sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN6ZCpwPAYA
So did you actually get the disc???? I had one and sort of regret selling it before my last move.
I'll need to possibly look into getting another copy, I'm not really into music discs, only have a small handful but love the roll.
Yes.

https://i.imgur.com/iUMl4BY.jpg

I also bought a sealed early analog PAL disc because I'm a massive idiot. Actually I can't even play analog PAL discs, I just bought it to frame.

Posted: 19 Oct 2021, 00:47 

This thread is four years old, rein-o...

Posted: 21 Oct 2021, 14:52 

Thinking back, I think calling him out on repeatedly throwing his money in the cat litter by buying blu-ray and UHD titles he clearly didn't like pushed him over the fence.

And you know what? If I could turn back time, I'd still do the same thing.

Posted: 26 Oct 2021, 05:10 

admin wrote:
Buyers are THAT gullible or are some sellers living in a parallel dimension?

Yes

Posted: 26 Oct 2021, 14:39 

Just watched Easy Rider; first time I've ever seen this movie.

I gotta say, my feelings about it mirror those for Conquest of the Planet of the Apes fairly closely, in the sense that I both hate this movie for reminding me that despite being 50 years old, it feels like we're still struggling with the same crap to this day, and admire it for it's ability to evoke such feelings and I guess that renders it timeless in a way - except unlike with the Planet of the Apes sequel, there is no sense of catharsis to be found anywhere, which has left me particularly frustrated.
Page 9 of 12 [ Search found 296 matches ]