It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 295 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 04 Mar 2020, 16:12 

Well I know for a fact that the Magnavision VH8000 is a tremendous piece of sh!t as far as build quality is concerned, but damn if it isn't a nice looking machine.

Posted: 30 Mar 2020, 22:49 

John Goodman's performance is terrific and his overall passion for cinema is inspiring and contagious.
His character is based on a real life person isn't he? I forget the name, but he was big on pushing gimmicky cinema experiences like smell-o-vision or rumblerama or whatever the hell they were called. Big showmanship stuff anyway.

Posted: 31 Mar 2020, 07:40 

Thanks deadlegion but I would rather forget that one.

Mark Pollard on the Kung Fu Cinema website summed up the film with.....

"Clones of Bruce Lee is the Plan 9 from Outer Space of Hong Kong cinema. It's the very definition of bad film making and sleazy exploitation. Expect to witness mad scientists bent on world domination, death rays, bronzemen, and naked women frolicking on the beach. Despite some decent kung fu action, particularly with Bolo, it's so bad you'll laugh or turn it off." & that was one of the less harsh reviews.

Cheers

TBH that sounds pretty darn cool to me 8-)
If you like the sound of that, you should check out Dragon Lives Again. Bruce Lee goes to hell and teams up with Popeye, the one-armed swordsman and Caine from TV's Kung Fu to fight characters like Dracula, James Bond, Zatoichi, the Godfather and Emmanuelle :mrgreen:

Posted: 03 Apr 2020, 15:08 

Just got Father Christmas (1991) [ASLA-1027]

Provided society doesn't completely collapse in the next eight months, I'll probably pick up The Snowman before the holidays as well.

Post subject: Re: Bruce Lee coming july
Posted: 17 Apr 2020, 11:45 

I still have the ancient UK DVDs from Hong Kong Legends. Until they got the masters for Big Boss and Fist of Fury from Fortune Star for their special editions, their transfers were pretty naff but they were an absolute treasure trove of bonus features so I think I've definitely had my fill of Bruce Lee trivia and Criterion is gonna have to pull some strings to do better on that front.

Posted: 23 Apr 2020, 22:29 

rein-o wrote:
Don't they only made something like 2 or 3 Pal NTSC combi players??

There's plenty, it's the ones that can play analog PAL discs that are in short order.

Posted: 26 Apr 2020, 14:59 

At this point I just assume that anything forper hates has to be good.

Whereas I'm the opposite, anything I like is usually pretty bad :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Eraser
Posted: 30 Apr 2020, 03:42 

signofzeta wrote:
Why do people even want to see those scenes?

Because censorship sucks, that's why.

Posted: 02 May 2020, 21:23 

I’m pretty sure that red Evil Dead is the only LD colored like that ever to be released worldwide.

Any speculation to why this was? Just seems like a good marketing thing much like the colored vinyl.
Yes, and apparently some players had trouble reading the red disc so they reissued it as a regular coloured pressing.

Posted: 02 May 2020, 21:24 

F***ing speculative market.

Posted: 03 May 2020, 17:38 

All the flippers do is hoard rare discs that people want to actually watch while not watching them and holding onto them until the end of time where they will remain forever unseen, all because they refused to lower their stupid BiN prices to something reasonable.

Posted: 04 May 2020, 01:30 

Some will claim the superior audio tracks etc 1- Lds don’t have superior soundtracks. 2- most who makes these claims watch their Ld tru TV speakers or a sound bar.3- do not confuse louder for better sound.
In the DVD days that was true, apart from some very early titles you'd only find PCM tracks in music titles, everything else got a lossy dolby digital track, and a lot of time you'd get an artificial surround track in lieu of the original stereo or mono mix. This was definitely case with a lot of Region 2 MGM titles that omitted the original track in favor of half a dozen different dub ones. This was particularly egregious with The Terminator since they'd altered the sound effects on the 5.1 track so the only way to get the original mix was to import.

With blu-ray that has all changed though, for the most part. The Terminator's mono mix is still relegated to the realm of DVD and Laserdisc.

Posted: 06 May 2020, 08:49 

teddanson wrote:
I guess the only thing to do is watch them all! :lol:

...at the same time! :mrgreen:

Posted: 09 May 2020, 08:35 

In the US they cut down a lot of films to make them PG-13 for it's theatrical run, however, the home releases are usually labeled as "uncut" because they add back in all the T&A along with any cut gore that would have stopped it from getting the PG-13.
I swear this practice is a pretty recent thing - way too recent to be an issue with laserdiscs, that's for sure.

Then again, the US release of Hard Target is technically uncut, but it's the R-rated version, while the UK and Japanese releases are the truly uncut unrated version. And then you have those weird situations where the movie is technically uncut but is heavily altered, like that weird foreign version of the 1990 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie that replaces every single instance of anything Japanese with something else.

Posted: 12 May 2020, 09:44 

Edit: I called him up and he has all his old surround sound stuff in the garage, he said I'm welcome to any of it, so that's going to be fun.
I actually asked my folks about the same thing because they used to have this fairly basic hi-fi unit that nevertheless was modular and was just the kind of thing I needed but the last I ever saw it was in the garage where my dad was still using it...except it was no longer there either and the best response I could get out of them regarding what happened was "it broke".

I'm never going to find out what the hell that meant.

Also I'm gonna have to agree with rein-o on this one, I also got the impression culturedog spends way too much time explaining what should be a reasonably simple concept and inadvertedly makes it sound more complicated than it actually is, and just having proper visual demonstrations of everything would reduce the need to merely talk about it significantly. Then again, the way he talks about the facebook group and the "Aspect ratio police" just makes that place sound like an absolute cesspit.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D925] E0 Error
Posted: 13 May 2020, 07:01 

It allows you to control the player from a separate Pioneer component.
Specifically, I think it just transmits the IR signals through the cable so you could for example have all your components hidden inside a cabinet except for one and all the IR signals would be received by that one and sent to the others.

I don't think they even need to be Pioneer models?

Posted: 06 Jun 2020, 18:57 

signofzeta wrote:
They mean its deeper than Star Wars, which was previously the most comprehensive piece of art they knew. And hey, they aren't wrong about that, just extremely underexposed to the world.

It's kinda like how Game of Thrones wowed all the people who had never watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Posted: 12 Jun 2020, 02:29 

Some of you might remember me mentioning Mandarake as also selling laserdiscs, but although their prices are very good, the selection tends to be pretty naff so I don't check the LD section often...but this time, it was worth it.

Post subject: Re: Faulty towers is racist
Posted: 12 Jun 2020, 11:06 

The recent riots have made all the thought police crawl out of the woodworks trying to get everything banned because now the corporations are actually listening to them, the fools.

Posted: 13 Jun 2020, 01:49 

But you do know its not supposed to look like tape, it would be best to get a low rez straight from the computer and display on a modern display in 4.3
No, but apart from maybe some major tech expo or convention or whatever, it's pretty unlikely you ever saw any of these on film; on television and home video it still would've been telecined to tape first, which gave it that particular "look".

Although I've never seen The Lawnmower Man in HD so I can't speak for how the computer animated segments in that movie look like.

Post subject: Re: Fawlty towers is racist
Posted: 13 Jun 2020, 08:00 

I've said it before and I say it again; the only kind of culture "cancel culture" is is the kind that grows in a petri dish.

Post subject: Re: Fawlty towers is racist
Posted: 14 Jun 2020, 03:53 

sonicboom wrote:
So if the Squares say to the Triangles, "This portrayal of us Squares is offensive (even if historically accurate) and should be removed from mass circulation.", Maybe we should listen to them and be respectful of their rights?

What rights? Right to censor?

Post subject: Re: STAR TREK first season
Posted: 03 Jul 2020, 08:27 

It only includes the "enhanced" version.

Posted: 05 Jul 2020, 23:44 

I saw the movie once and I honestly thought it was pretty boring. The songs and the animated segments were nice but that's about it. If it weren't for it's reputation, SotS would just disappear amidst all the other generic live action Disney trite of the 1940s.

Posted: 08 Jul 2020, 04:44 

Let's be totally fair here, the NRA of the time when Heston delivered his "cold dead hands" speech is quite different from the NRA of today.

Indeed The Gate To The Mind's Eye is a must have! Just keep in mind that the audio level seems a little weedy, at least it seemed to be to me when compared to Street Fighter, which made me soil myself at the DTS logo. :thumbup:
I don't even have a home theater amp to decode DTS, much less a player with a digital out. But the DTS release is supposed to have a better transfer than the earlier, non-DTS release so I saw no reason to not pick it up instead.

It's also a rather unique release in the sense that it's the only disc in the database listed as both DTS and CAV.
Page 4 of 12 [ Search found 295 matches ]