It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 2 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 27 Jan 2020, 08:03 

Pioneer's digital TBC's generally use 8-bit (+ sync in most cases) ADC/DAC's. A few like the LD-S2 have oversampling DAC's that are pseudo 9-bit.

Thank you for confirming this. I still get an expanded range (ie. no clipping) capturing in 10-bit, so I'll continue to do so. Is the ADC used during normal playback, or only displaying still frames (for example, when players give CAV-like still frame display to CLV disks)?

Digital TBC players always use it. You might be seeing better results with 10bit because the comb filter you're using does a better job, and there's a 4.2mhz analog LPF after the TBC (which is at 14.something mhz). So in effect it might be a higher depth (and unfortunately higher-ringing!) signal.

Thinking about it more, bit depth isn't always the only factor... in a Domesday Duplicator setup the RF capture is done at 40msps/10bit, but you can go down to 8 bits worth of signal before losing much - player calibration is a far, far bigger factor.

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 28 Sep 2021, 04:27 

Thanks for the clarification. I posted my process because I don't have the resources to try the full domesday method, and I feel that the oversampling and processing I perform is certainly more than acceptable, so I thought it could help others in the same situation.

I would certainly love to attempt better conversions, but I don't have the finances to obtain more LD players (my only working player is a CLD-D606). If there are better ways to convert from that player, I'd certainly like to hear about them.

You may have it as best as you can with what you have. I should have said: "most blackmagic cards low pass filter the COMPOSITE input", i don't know if they low pass filter the svideo input. So by using SVIDEO out of the player, you may not be hindered by that resolution softening of the BM card. Or you could have a card that doesn't cause it to soften. Only way to tell for sure is to try it both ways (composite and svideo) with a high resolution test pattern and also compare to what you see with your eyes when it is connected directly to the TV. I noticed a higher resolution when I plugged directly into my TV rather than my BM cards/devices, and then it was seconded by another user i was talking with. The svideo out of my 1000u is _poor_ quality so i don't use it, but the 1000u has a nice high resolution composite output.

You can get a decent ld-decode RF capture method setup for under probably $75 if you can solder. under $150 if you can't. (using CX card)
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 2 matches ]