It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 11 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 13 Jul 2020, 23:43 

Hi bighamnegg.

Welcome - enjoy your time on here & with the LD format.

On the bottom of the label does it say Formated for Optimem?

I don't know what Optimem is but perhaps someone here may be able to help.

Hope you solve the mystery of your disc.

:thumbup:

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 00:05 

I don't know about the Optimem part, maybe it is a plant pressing thing? However I found a great piece of information on 3M laserdiscs that may help you out. Hope this helps.

http://www.blamld.com/LaserDisc/3MManufacturing.htm

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 00:23 

If the other side is a metal sheet then don't put it in your player it will mess it up unless you have an industrial player to take that extra weight.

Also you may try but it may be an NTSC disc.

Seems like its a CAV disc.

Try in your player at your own risk.
I don't think anything bad will happen but again this is at your own risk.

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 00:48 

It looks like an LD, obviously a nearly full CAV LD of some writeable format. How much thicker is it?

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 02:19 

I don't know what Optimem is but perhaps someone here may be able to help.

3rd and 4th hits on a Google search for "Formatted for Optimem", come on people :-)

( PC Magazine, February 1986 )

Optimem.jpg

( May 1987 edition, starts on page 58, then continues to 101~102 )

This company [Optimem], originally spawned by Xerox Crop., is owned by Cipher Data Systems, and now makes optical disc drives. Larry Fujitani, Optimem's director of marketing, says Optimem -- in concert with 3M Co. -- is developing a "multifunctional" optical disc drive, meaning a drive that can use read-only, write-once, and erasable optical discs.

This is a magneto-optic disc (like a huge MiniDisc I presume or the old ZIP drives?) where the label is too big for a LD and the player wouldn't be able to spin (thickness) or detect the disc (label where the TOC should be).

Julien

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 02:50 

Dang, and I though recordable LDs were obscure useless junk. :) This thing is orders of magnitude more useless and obsolete.

Btw, Zip discs were totally magnetic, just floppies really. I think you’re thinking of SyQuest disks which were more like MDs.

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 08:24 

admin wrote:

3rd and 4th hits on a Google search for "Formatted for Optimem", come on people :-)

Julien

Okay Julien, I perhaps should have dug further as when I did a Google search on it all that I got were about Minimal Essential Medium products.

I will look more carefully in future :oops: .

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 12:09 

bighamnegg wrote:
For some reason it is not uploading my photos . I will give it another try later .

Hi, it could possibly just be that you haven't yet made enough postings, although I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm.

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 18:49 

The remote for CLD-950 is the CU-CLD095, but just about any Pioneer remote will work. Since it's such a basic player, you won't need a particularly complex one.

CU-CLD067 is almost identical, it only lacks the 16:9 button. There's one on ebay for about 25 bucks right now.

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 18:58 

Hi there
I recently purchased a Pioneer CLD-950 with no remote . I was wondering if it has to be a specific remote that I buy for this or if I can buy a universal remote . Also while I’m here I just watched true romance today on LD and when I checked side 4 to see if there was anything on there it had a cool little graphic . Are these the same on all dead sides or are there different ones .
Thanks lads

There is a CU-CLD071 remote control on eBay uk, this is I believe for a Pioneer CLD-925 but should be compatible with your 950, currently at £21.

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 22:07 

Any PIONEER remote will work with your player with the exception of the later DVL LD DVD combo players.

Pretty sure that is correct & others here will let you know if there are other options.

Cheers :thumbup:
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 11 matches ]