It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 432 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: DADC USA Rot Plot
Posted: 12 Sep 2020, 17:39 

I made this DADC USA rot plot from the mint markings that have been added to the database so far. Numbers at the bottom are reference numbers with a rough release date under them. Y axis is rot reports. It would be better to remake this with the Y axis being the ratio of "added to collection/rot reports", but this is still interesting to look at.

Posted: 17 Sep 2020, 15:58 

I need to correct myself on saying the DVL-919 does not have arc suppression. The North American model does and uses the same power supply as the DVL-91.

Attached is the schematic of VWR-1286

Either way, that is the easy fix. The more experienced members might know of other particular problematic parts of this board. Also this should be of interest: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7969

Posted: 21 Sep 2020, 17:46 

CLD-1750 < CLD-2950 < CLD-99

The jump from the CLD-1750 to the CLD-2950 is much larger than the hop from the CLD-2950 to the CLD-99. If the CLD-2950 +PAL version of the CLD-D703, you would only gain AC-3 RF out and better S-Video.

I think the CLD-1750 is single-side so keep that in mind.

Posted: 22 Sep 2020, 00:34 

The single-sidedness of the CLD-1750 does appeal because it presumably means one less mechanical thing that can fail
Additionally they can have more alignment issues. I just got a DVL-91 where side A was good but side B was way off.

If you go the CLD-99 route, make sure it comes with the correct remote: CU-CLD117.

How much is the CLD-1750?

Posted: 22 Sep 2020, 17:51 

brmanuk wrote:
If I were you I'd go for the cheaper CLD-1750 rather than the CLD-99. You already have a great player in the CLD-2950.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

When you get the CLD-1750 make sure it will play a CD if it was sold as being fully functional.

Posted: 22 Sep 2020, 20:18 

I like this idea. So far, I have been just adding a note saying the mint marks are by hand.

Posted: 23 Sep 2020, 00:02 

Yeah, I just did too but thought what about people who would want to focus on collecting them or just to know which are hand scratched vs non.
Yeah I would just to get some further insight on manufacturing. The employee had to be pretty good not to ruin the side by writing on the data portion of the disc. Attached is a photo of the mint marks on Purple Rain (1984) [11398LV] that I just updated. They are backwards on the disc since they were written on the inside, so I take a photo and flip it.

This Purple Rain release comes right after The Rolling Stones: Video Rewind (1984) [ML1016] .

Posted: 23 Sep 2020, 01:12 

It seems like it might be a common issue in these late 80's early 90's single-sided units. It could just be bad luck, but I've had at least 3 that would not play CDs. A CLD-M(something), CLD-V2400, and either a CLD-1070 or 1080. I also will see them for sale saying the same thing.

If I see any crosstalk and it will not play a CD, I adjust the pickup inclination (which is usually really off) and that can fix it. If not, you have to look at centering which is not fun to adjust- even with an oscilliscope.

Post subject: Re: Coming out of Storage
Posted: 27 Sep 2020, 22:03 

D) All of the above

I agree with this. The best way to break a LD player is to ship it. The 2nd best way to break a player is to never turn it on. If you expect these machines to last they need to be in rotation.
When I'm not getting players that were broken in shipping, I'm getting players that have been stored for years without use. Some inside, a few outside :shock:. I've found leaves inside of a player before. I always open players up and clean (and re-grease) them to prevent a debris tornado. Then I run a few discs through them before even looking at the adjustments.

Note to anyone new: do not open your player unless it is broken or you are familiar with electronics.

Posted: 30 Sep 2020, 18:43 

Measured my DVL-91:
WxHxD (in) 18 x 5.75 x 18.25

Post subject: Re: CLD-99 not powering on
Posted: 03 Oct 2020, 03:35 

Thats unfortunate but power supply issues are for the most part much more manageable than bad spindle or pickup.

SM here: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-99/

VWR1200 power supply is also in the CLD-D503, CLD-V850, CLD-D703, CLD-D704, and CLD-79 according to Pioneer.

The browning is probably just from heat over time, but worth taking look at. If you have a multimeter I'd disconnect the power going to the rest of the unit, check the fuse and make sure voltage is at least making it into the transformer.

Posted: 04 Oct 2020, 14:50 

Centering as in the spindle to the optical pickup, not the disc to the spindle.

Side A and B have separate centering and tangential adjustments. The centering adjustment calls for the special "screw driver" GGV-129.

Posted: 04 Oct 2020, 16:31 

The tangential adjustment refers to the "tangential direction angle" of the pickup. It's just a screw, but if it is out of adjustment you will get a noisier picture.

I've got to adjust the centering of side A on my CLD-92 but it does not look fun at all. These older players are harder to work on.

Posted: 04 Oct 2020, 19:26 

VERY VERY VERY Small adjustment is needed, you try one way and then the other.
This exactly if you do not have an oscilloscope.

View the adjustment procedure PDF here: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-3070/

Step 12: "Fine Centering Adjustment for Side B Play"

Ignore all the text and just look at the diagram of where the "screwdriver" goes, but as rein-o said posting a picture would be more helpful to ensure you have the right adjustment point.

Also don't worry about the tangential adjustment until you get side B playing. It only needs to be adjusted if you have crosstalk.

Posted: 05 Oct 2020, 18:58 

Yes it is glued in place. I wouldn't break the locking compound unless you have double checked everything else, especially since you said it would play Side B previously. The optical pickup is trying to focus on the disc after it changes to Side B, correct?

I believe you are missing the screw thus alignment is not able to be done.
The side B centering screws are from the later models. These units require the special "L-shaped eccentric screwdriver" GGV-129. The CLD-Dx03 units were the first that didn't require it as far as I know.

Post subject: Re: My new LD player!
Posted: 07 Oct 2020, 17:45 

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
I believe the comb filter in the R7G is actually a tad more advanced than that fitted to the X0/X9 or any other player bar one (one of the DVL models?)

Yep, and that would be the DVL-H9.

Some really good info here: CLD-R7G Arrived!

Posted: 08 Oct 2020, 00:16 

Yeah I was going to say I think the pickup is dead, but wanted to see what Kurtis had to say since he is the expert.

If you want to get into laserdisc you need to get one from one of us from here who know if a player is working properly.
Very true. Funny enough, I'm working on the Mitsubishi rebadge of the CLD-D702 right now that was sold to me as working. The seller knew nothing about laserdisc so he did not know it was not normal for the player to sit searching on side A for 20 seconds before playing...

Posted: 09 Oct 2020, 19:23 

That plastic piece is called "CA-SW Lever" VNL1498. It is part of the mechanism assembly.

Posted: 09 Oct 2020, 19:27 

strikemrb1 is spot on. You need a frequency counter to set it back to 3.579545Mhz.

Post subject: Re: New to LDDB from the UK
Posted: 09 Oct 2020, 22:48 

I've had a fair bit of experience yes lol! I used to have hair before working on my CLD-1750!
It can be quite the stressful process, especially if you have a really expensive player open.

Here are some resources that really taught me a lot that might be helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj8RE1EV_Q4 (Thanks to happycube. Volume 1 and 3 also there.)
https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=2896 (Thanks to simoni)
Pioneer Tuning Fork No. 9 (Google should pull it up)

I just wish I had the decades of experience Kurtis has!

Posted: 10 Oct 2020, 22:34 

The belt that actually moves the pickup is probably VEB1077 which the PRB cross reference PDF here says SCX4.6. I'd get one a little smaller though because I think the sizes in that document are a little too big. A few online places sell belts labeled as VEB1077 as well. You can remove and wash the belt with water and clean the pulleys with alcohol and a cotton swab to see if it will grant you temporary reprieve while waiting for the new belt to arrive.

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 14:18 

So now I need to find someone in the Midwest (I’m in Iowa) that has an oscilloscope to align the laser.
And the Pioneer test disc.

Also, it looks like the original issue was a plastic piece towards the front of the player that broke? At least this wasn’t broke on the 503 I used as a donor machine (photo below).
I think this is the CD plate, should sit near the loading motor.

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 14:51 

euromk wrote:
Is the the GGV1069 the only test disc available now?

Yes.

euromk wrote:
Could this have been the original culprit for the carriage assembly not moving or lifting the disc?

Probably. There is a spring a screw that goes to it as well.

Posted: 16 Oct 2020, 00:46 

shopkins82 wrote:
I'm starting to think I just have terrible taste in films.

I have excellent taste in terrible films. I watched Timemaster: Special Edition (1995) [42687] the other day. :lol:

Posted: 19 Oct 2020, 00:45 

Where's that description from? Doesn't look like a Pioneer doc...
ARP2000 Adjustments for CD Players Vol. 1

Rarely do I touch grating when servicing a working player. I insert the test disc and make sure centering, focus, and tracking are good. I check frames 115, 475 etc for crosstalk and adjust based on that. Does this sound about right?
Page 4 of 18 [ Search found 432 matches ]