It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 432 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: DADC USA Rot Plot
Posted: 20 Oct 2020, 23:34 

This is awesome, thank you for going to all the trouble and digging through the data.
Yep and main thanks go to Julien for making the list.

In my view DADC USA is still better than PDO UK.
Indeed. If DADC USA was pressing discs in a non-cleanroom, then PDO UK was pressing discs in the parking lot. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Denon/Pioneer player
Posted: 23 Oct 2020, 00:20 

Yeah most Denon's were Pioneers.

Also for what it is worth, I would choose a CLD-S201 based player over a CLD-S104 based player any day.

Posted: 27 Oct 2020, 23:14 

65 on the Pioneer chip. I tried pin 35 on LC8904Q with no results.

Posted: 05 Nov 2020, 00:46 

It is. Currently the reference player for the Domesday Duplicator. Excellent documentation on the project's website under the "Resources->LD-V4300D" menu.

https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=1176

Posted: 05 Nov 2020, 01:00 

Thanks, how would I go about getting it into test mode if necessary?
It is covered in the service manual here: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-97/

Sounds like the lens is hitting the disc because the focus servo is way off, but Kurtis would definitely know more than me. I would not continue trying to operate it and send this for repair. I have heard there is someone in UK that will still take repairs.

Posted: 05 Nov 2020, 01:22 

teddanson wrote:
A blind buy. Looks interesting and seems to be an odd one to find/buy on DVD.

I do this a lot too.

Ted you are always getting discs that pique my interest!

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Laserdiscs
Posted: 05 Nov 2020, 01:26 

Novus #1 and old cotton t-shirt, but only if it really needs it. I leave stuff like light fingerprints. I clean covers much more often than discs.

Posted: 07 Nov 2020, 17:42 

Some information on the focus servo (many thanks again to happycube): https://youtu.be/zj8RE1EV_Q4?t=917

Do you have an oscilloscope affonsoamendola?

Posted: 10 Nov 2020, 00:22 

Need a new grip ring. VEB1237 on eBay.

Posted: 11 Nov 2020, 19:04 

It's just so hard for me to fathom composite looking better than S-Video because i'm so used to the opposite being true....
Essentially, composite video is permanently encoded on the laserdisc. Composite video is a single channel. S-Video, in contrast, is two channels. You can't take two from one without splitting at some point. The question is: do the electronics in the player do a better job than the electronics in the TV? Either way, try both with Video Essentials (1996) [ID3487ISF] , and just use whatever looks best to your eye.

With video games, the games contain code instead of video that is executed by the console.

Edit: fixed link.

Posted: 11 Nov 2020, 22:23 

Yeah honestly I probably enjoy servicing/restoring/repairing/refurbishing players just as much as watching them.

I highly recommend Kurtis. He has decades of experience.

Post subject: Re: SuperBox II
Posted: 12 Nov 2020, 21:00 

Yep I downloaded everything. I even emailed the owner to see if he would be willing to open source the code. That binary is dated 1988!

This disc was included with it https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/submit/5 ... its-Reel-2

Posted: 16 Nov 2020, 21:24 

Thanks Kurtis. This was the 3rd player I saw with power issues in a span of few days so I guess I assumed the worst. When I pulled the tray out it snagged the ribbon cable running from the main front board to the one on the right and ever so slightly unseated it. Good to know about the functionality of the control ports on the back though.

Posted: 17 Nov 2020, 18:30 

I have a Sony LD player from the same year with faulty caps.

I would find someone reputable online that does VCR repairs and see if they would be willing to work on it.

FYI:

Posted: 20 Nov 2020, 03:30 

I recently purchased everything a former LD tech owned related to laserdisc. Included was this Philips code test disc. The best part: it is a box that Magnavox shipped on July 29th, 1981.

The disc contains test frames as well as excerpts of what I believe is Sting, The (1973) [11-001] .

I am assuming this disc was made to either check or test players with Philips code before it became part of the Laservision standard? Does anyone happen to know more about this?

Posted: 23 Nov 2020, 23:21 

The vast majority of rot is not visible to the eye. The discs look perfectly fine.

Light scratches and fingerprints don't matter much.

Posted: 23 Nov 2020, 23:36 

Thanks for shedding some more light on that happycube. :thumbup:

Reference discs:
Yamaha: CAV Test Disc [LD-05]
GGV1003, GGV1012, GGV1015
Part 2 and 3 of the LD Tuning Fork videos you already uploaded
Sony Reference Disc https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/submit/56567/REF7-8AL/Sony-Reference-Disc-7
CD test discs (none Pioneer though)

I'm not by the parts currently for part numbers but I know I have:
GGF1067
GGV-129 (finally!)
Various replacement ICs
Various belts
Various NOS spindles
A NOS pickup assembly

Oddities:
SuperBox II (http://www.superbox.com/) and accompanying NPS disc.

Posted: 24 Nov 2020, 16:55 

Yeah I have been using the Anderic clone that I learned about from the Domesday86 website. Works great, but it is nice to have the real one now that it seems repair and service have become my main hobby. Also included was a "wobbler" 8" GGV disc with a chunk taken out of one side to put the focus servo through its paces.

Did you ever find booklet GRT1028 that came with the Tuning Fork videos?

Posted: 24 Nov 2020, 17:01 

I have not seen either, but the DVL-H9 is the only DVL that truly piques my interest. It is supposedly significantly heavier than other DVLs. I have a DVL-91 that I'm keeping, but that is only because it was essentially free.

I'll second laserfanhld-gb in guessing that the CLD-R7G vs DVL-H9 would probably be a close match in regards to S-Video output.

Posted: 29 Nov 2020, 02:13 

I have attached a photo of the wobbler.

Posted: 29 Nov 2020, 23:14 

Attached.

Schematics for the board are in one of the MDP service manuals.

Posted: 02 Dec 2020, 17:34 

I really can't tell from the photo, but does that seem new? Or maybe someone accidentally touched their soldering iron to it decades ago.

Don't go touching anything in your power supply, but if your transformer is getting hot or there is a "bad electronics" smell you might have a problem.

Posted: 02 Dec 2020, 22:51 

My reference disc for issues like this: Goldeneye: Special Edition (1995) [ML105544]. Chapter 42, 56 to 59 minute marks.

Posted: 03 Dec 2020, 02:37 

Yeah honestly sometimes it is really hard to tell if they are warped. I check without playing the disc by looking at the side of the disc. Any major warping is visible when I do that, however I recently played 1941 (1979) (Uncut) [42343] the other day on my CLD-D503 (my travel player :D) and it is ever so slightly warped where frames around 39,000 started skipping. I put a bunch of heavy books on it and it played fine the next day. I left the second disc as is (also skipped on the CLD-D503). I just tried it on a player I just aligned and it played without issue. I need to service my CLD-D503.

Anyway: no laserdisc is perfectly flat, and the hardware was engineered with that in mind. The disc needs to be at an acceptable level of flatness and the player's adjustments need to be within spec. Also you can get skipping like this at the end of a disc if centering is off.

Posted: 03 Dec 2020, 17:42 

Opening it every 2-3 months will kill it before the dust does.
Page 5 of 18 [ Search found 432 matches ]