It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 436 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 04 Dec 2020, 16:35 

Nice write up. This is echos pretty much my experiences with board repairs. I'm always surprised and elated when I fix something that has taken a while to debug and then that is followed by the "I hope it stays fixed" feeling. :lol:

Posted: 04 Dec 2020, 18:19 

Yeah I wouldn't use anything on the CLD-99 "velvet" type trays. I do remember that guy who melted his.

Posted: 05 Dec 2020, 16:53 

Absolutely. I'll look into how. I think I might need to purchase a digital caliper.

From left to right in the attached photo:
GGV-129
GRT ADJ Driver R-882
GGF-063

GGF-063 has a little bit larger pin.

Posted: 06 Dec 2020, 05:09 

Sure, see attached.

Posted: 10 Dec 2020, 19:39 

davidb_sk wrote:
Anyway, here's a link to the article. I hope it's useful to someone.

Absolutely. Thanks for this. I will give it a go next time I submit a cover.

Posted: 11 Dec 2020, 18:44 

Good eyes laserpaal!

Posted: 12 Dec 2020, 01:02 

I resolved the issue. I reseated the top plate of the mechanism thats held on by four screws and the plastic turn guide that is held by one screw. I guess it must have been ever so slightly out of alignment.

Posted: 13 Dec 2020, 21:29 

I think either:
A: The LX-H670 is out of alignment and the discs are fine.
B: The LX-H670 is only slightly out of alignment and the discs are slightly warped.

See: Is this laserdisc rot or warped laserdisc? Will it get worse and try signofzeta's paper test.

Posted: 14 Dec 2020, 19:47 

Mystery solved. This motor assembly lifts out quite easily with only one screw holding it to the rest of the carriage assembly and one screw that holds a plastic clip on top. Two broken teeth on the gear underneath the yellowed ones. VNL1353. Luckily I have a donor unit and was able to easily replace it. Fingers crossed that is all this unit needs.

Post subject: Re: 007 on LD
Posted: 15 Dec 2020, 02:20 

Moore Bond films in general, but especially Moonraker and TSWLM.
Easily my top two Moore favorites. Diamonds are Forever for Connery.

Goldeneye is maybe the best looking LD out there and it’s full of features.
Possibly- I have three. One for my collection, one for my beater reference disc and one for my clean reference disc.

Posted: 15 Dec 2020, 20:26 

1. Ed Wood (1994) [2758 AS]
2. Logan's Run (1976) [ML102144]
3. Roger and Me (1989) [11978]
4. The House that Jack Built
5. Sneakers (1992) [41431]
6. Deep, The (1977) [PSE91-01]
7. Quick Change (1990) [12004]
8. Crash: Special Edition #349 (1996) [CC1500L]
9. Howling, The: Collector's Edition (1981) [ID2847SU]
10. Highway to Hell (1992) [LD 90447]

Posted: 17 Dec 2020, 03:15 

ldfan wrote:
In addition, maybe weighing the player down by stacking another component on top of it

This is what I do. Just make sure its not too heavy and the weight is evenly distributed.

Posted: 17 Dec 2020, 03:25 

I enjoy LD for what it is.
I think there is a group of people that really enjoy trying to min/max their setup, and then there is a group of people that just simply enjoy watching and handling these big shiny discs. I'm in the latter group. I have the really expensive players, but the majority of the time I'm watching whatever I just worked on- usually much cheaper players and it is still quite enjoyable for me.

Posted: 17 Dec 2020, 03:51 

I forgot about all the required stuff you have to sit through on DVD/BR. Definitely annoying. I will say though I could watch the Image Entertainment intro where it shows the laser hitting the LD on loop :lol:.

Posted: 18 Dec 2020, 04:02 

I wish I could remember exactly the size of belt I gave him. I think it was either a 3.6 or 4.0. It fit great on a LX-900 but he said it was too small for his LA-3500. Take this with a grain of salt though.

Posted: 20 Dec 2020, 23:25 

Very cool. Video here:

Posted: 23 Dec 2020, 21:04 

I think there is something flawed with these when you consider the rate at which the pickups die.

Posted: 03 Jan 2021, 00:37 

Can try putting player in test mode and starting playback further into disc.

Posted: 04 Jan 2021, 23:44 

Interesting. I've never seen that before. I assume there is a bad cap somewhere.

Post subject: Re: Laserdisc Reboot Debate
Posted: 05 Jan 2021, 16:58 

wouldn't the wavelength of the intended read laser (infrared) still be a limiting factor on the density of the pit placement during writing?
I'm not sure. I feel they would have just used an infrared laser in that case, but I might not be thinking about this the correct way. I do know that the Ar laser was supposedly 200MW which is quite substantial.

Interesting comparison of track pitch:
LD: 1.4 to 2 microns
VCD: 1.6 microns
DVD: 0.74 microns
BR: 0.32 microns

Posted: 07 Jan 2021, 21:09 

jd213 wrote:
Ah, I've been toying with the idea of doing this myself, but it's probably beyond my capabilities.

It's not too bad- definitely easier than LD servicing.

Posted: 07 Jan 2021, 23:49 

Luckily I never shocked myself but was always extra careful when working on the monitors.
I was out of town for a few days last month and came back and began working on a Trinitron I was halfway done with. I forgot I had plugged it into my main power strip before I left (very dumb of me) since I always plug them into my isolation transformer. I turned that strip on and thinking the TV had been off for several days, I grabbed the power supply and took a nice dosage of voltage. I have since put the isolation transformer and main strip on opposite ends of my bench.

In regards to hardiness of Trinitrons, I was given one that had been left in a ditch for probably years. Severe rust, boards caked in mud probably 1/2in thick. Took it apart, sprayed the boards with a high pressure water hose nozzle and let it dry for a few days. Turned right on and the picture looked good other than the composite video connector had partially detached from the board so I had to hold the cord in.

Posted: 08 Jan 2021, 20:01 

elahrairrah wrote:
Turns out it was just a chip that went bad and there are still techs that can do the fix.

In similar vein, I repaired a XBR960 with no HDMI. The SMD caps on the HDMI board had gone bad.

Posted: 08 Jan 2021, 22:26 

rein-o wrote:
I can imagine it being inside the house and water, not fun.

Thankfully I had at least enough sense to bring it outside and drain the water. I just failed to realize that there was going to be a ton of small pieces of porcelain flying quite far. :lol:

Post subject: Re: "Travel" Movies
Posted: 09 Jan 2021, 05:12 

Until the End of the World (Bis ans Ende der Welt) (1991) [12312] is a favorite of mine.
Quite fitting since I just got Far Away, So Close (1993) [79966] in this week. Thanks :thumbup:
Do they have to be like your list, comedies, or is it open?
Two Lane Blacktop as a start
No, I just tend to lean towards comedies I guess. Just noticed that all of the ones I listed were haha. I just Wikipedia'd Two Lane Blacktop which linked to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_movie#Movies_of_this_genre Nice! I guess "Road Movie" is the official name of the genre then.
Page 6 of 18 [ Search found 436 matches ]