It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 15 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 21 Dec 2015, 02:02 

Exactly. it kind of makes it hard to bring new blood into a fanbase when the elite of any given one
often tends to shut out the "Noobs"

we were all "Noobs" once, you know. few, if any of us became knowledgeable fans in absolute isolation.
who's going to "Pass the Faith" along if no one is willing to?

Posted: 21 Mar 2018, 18:46 

That's the least-borken Magnavision player I've seen on Youtube, ever! (In fact, I think that's the only time I've seen one sort of play a disk... made after the early 80's ;) )

Don't be fooled. That image is NOT from the Magnavision player. The player had no "search to the start" function and would begin playback at the inner limit. The horizontal roll indicates sync from the player and for the image to start that quickly after the roll indicates a player off-screen was in "freeze-frame" and started. Additionally NONE of the trick play procedures touted were available on this player. The VH-8000 was more akin to the LD-660 in terms of features than the VP-1000 Pioneer issued in 1980.

Posted: 30 Aug 2018, 19:37 

So far my wife and I are really enjoying it. We've only got 4 episodes left. Things definitely get crazy in that show. haha

Posted: 21 Jun 2019, 00:43 

So what is all your sci-fi inspired by? I mean before Heavy Metal Magazine.

MANY books (Press Pocket, Denoel, etc.), fanzines and comic books (the European style, big format with 60~70 pages and hard-cover) mostly.

This is what SF looked like to me in my teenager's years: Bradbury, Lovecraft, Matheson, Aldiss, Simak, Asimov, Clarke, Zelazny, Adams, Cowper, Pohl, etc.

Also had all the Frank Herbert books.
The only prerecorded VHS I ever had were Star Wars and Blues Brothers.

50088501_10156365695584139_7772883446950526976_n.jpg
50340776_10156365695619139_5204620882298798080_n.jpg
50407330_10156365695609139_1425917283867295744_n.jpg

And some animation before adapted from the books such as Maîtres du temps, Les (1982) [TE-D101]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_science_fiction

Science Fiction if France is considered a literature genre, not a TV/cinema one.
This remains a Hollywood privilege. When Luc Besson did The Fifth Element, he did it in an American style.

Julien

Post subject: Re: Alignment of LD-V8000
Posted: 19 Jan 2020, 21:37 

The red laser found in the HLD players is different from the HeNE lasers found in pre-infrared models. The LD-660 I have looks a lot better than I thought it would. Hardware aside, early discs in general will not look as good as later discs even on a LD-S2.

I'd love to have a LD-V4400 or even a LD-V8000 if I could find one locally for a reasonable price. With your LD-V4400 at least you should be able to follow an amazing alignment guide (thank you Simon) at https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=2896

But again, in regards to maintenance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Wait until you start experiencing crosstalk, track jumping, audio issues on discs you know are good.

Posted: 27 Mar 2021, 00:45 

If it is just plastic gear issues, you can reference the service manual here and try some glueing.

CLD-3080, CLD-95, CLD-97 are my go-to Both Side Play units. Single side: CLD-3030, LD-S1, LD-S2.

Posted: 28 Mar 2021, 16:58 

My list is just strictly personal preference. It is what I have found I liked the most based on features + picture quality.

I need to service a LD-V8000 in the next few weeks. I will post back on how it compares to my CLD-3030 and LD-S2.

Substance's post here is the most objectively accurate comparison I have seen: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=73623#p73623

Posted: 28 Mar 2021, 21:57 

Are there any other sources that I should check?

I would check on local electronics stores that sell used audio/video equipment or even a Goodwill. I've been able to pick up at least one gem doing just that (a Mitsubishi, M-V7055 for the ridiculous price of $40).

As for your gears possibly being damaged on your player, you might want to consider this idea....

https://www.instructables.com/Broken-Gear-Repair/

I have a Sony MDP-650 with a really chewed up gear and I'm going to try to try this idea since there is little hope of getting this part. I decided that I'm going to use this type of epoxy.....

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-16002TRI-QuikSteel-Reinforced/dp/B000FW7UOM

..... as it appears to combine the two mentioned in the above post.

Posted: 29 Mar 2021, 02:38 

I pretty much agree with Substance's ranking of players. What I can say about the V8000 is that it has more ringing or ghosting of an image than these players and once you see it you'll know what I'm talking about. The V8000 is a good picture but was designed for presentations and video games with an electromagnetic movement for the laser, it can jump the extremes of the disc in under 0.5 seconds and if it is a CAV disc will be also be playing in under 0.5 seconds. For home theater the X0 and S2 cannot be beat for picture quality for a single sided player, you have to see them to understand. Like substance says the 95/97 are the best low noise for a dual sided player. The V8000 is a good machine but I don't remember it beating any of the machines in substances list.

Posted: 31 Mar 2021, 02:58 

You need to understand that you are asking a question that differs depending on a persons preferences. The 8000 was designed for presentations and games for computer control and syncing with other devices in the presentation where he CLD-95 was designed for home use.

Only you can say which looks best to you. I personally would use the CLD-95.

Posted: 31 Mar 2021, 21:09 

I have a CLD-95. It is excellent. Much more low-noise, analog looking picture than your CLD-79.

Posted: 24 Mar 2023, 19:10 

This is a bit late…I had the same issue.squeal and ugly picture...If you take the cover off and get your ear close..you can hear where its coming from..it was obvious on mine….mine was a clamping issue ,coupled with a worn grip ring..the chassis was twisted…I discover this by lifting it up by the outside brace.(cld99) which stopped the squeal..didnt take much…good luck.VXM1053 is the correct #
https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-99/CLD-99-EN-Service%20Manual.pdf

One the folks here ,that provides belts ,part etc ,said he has bushings if you wanted try rebuilding it..
Ive got 2 with problems…one day ..lol..I’ll get to them..

Post subject: Re: CLD-959 DNR Button?
Posted: 16 May 2023, 20:20 

You need to short a trace to ground. Flip down the face panel and find the Mode Assy. Solder a wire across the points shown in the 97 service manual Page 67 (PDF Page 44) The dotted box shows "CLD-97 Only"

Then the PSC button behaves as a DNR on/off

I’ve opened my machine up to do this mod, and I’m not sure if I’m supposed to flip the board over or remove this giant chip that’s blocking the path to that point that I need to alter. I’m concerned of forcing it since the chip is in there really solid. The board is also pegged on with these plastic deals that expand after installation; not sure how to get that off safely.

Suggestions? 3875A492-E8EE-4B12-924A-CD8B4D5FFC6A.jpeg

You need to flip the board over to access the points to bridge. No need to remove the chip

Posted: 10 Dec 2023, 17:31 

I would be interested in one, but not to rip LDs but to improve the sharpness and cleanness while watching.
It would be nice if they could add at least a composite video output on this board, so you get the best composite signal possible. The TBC and the demodulation would need to be done in the FPGA chip though.

Do not fight with this bot!

Posted: 03 Jan 2024, 16:38 

I only have this : CDV Test - Stéréo Hifi Video (1989) [PV 789032]
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 15 matches ]