It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 8 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 24 Dec 2019, 17:52 

Ordered and to arrive shortly: Hercules in New York. Schwarzenegger's first American film, iirc. Pan and Scan, mono analog. Can't wait!

Posted: 31 Jan 2020, 16:02 

Yeah I always see the extended versions as the un-compromised ones Jackson would have preferred to be released in theaters. CAV of the entire trilogy would be ridiculous, but on CLV it would be possible for each film to be released in a 2-disc gatefold a la the Star Wars Trilogy (except for extended ROTK, I guess we'll throw in a one sided CAV).

The adaptation isn't perfect - neither is the CG - but LOTR was literally considered unfilmable for decades. Jackson's team poured their talent, heart and soul into the project and that comes through on screen.

Posted: 15 Mar 2020, 14:14 

Finally put something in besides toons, only to find out...

...that my new TV doesn't allow zoom on composite. :cry: So Twister is gonna have to be ugly stretch because I already bubble wrapped the other TV and I am not wasting all that real estate. :problem:

First World problem, but I do wonder when they'll start phasing out composite inputs altogether. There are always workarounds with AVRs/processors but still. . .

Watched Tears for Fears: Going to California last night on LD. Good concert, but some of the artsy-fartsy B&W shots looked like laser rot!

Posted: 14 Mar 2021, 01:57 

I do upgrade - sometimes from a pan & scan version to a later, digital transfer widescreen LD. Sometimes to a Bluray if I am a big fan of the movie and I think it would benefit. E.g. the new 4K Flash Gordon blows away all previous versions. . . but I'm not getting rid of my LD either.

Curiously, I've also started to 'downgrade'. I have every Harryhausen sci-fi/fantasy pic on DVD or Blu, but I've started to collect them all again in LD. The transfers may not be as pristine, may even have scratches and dirt from the optical effects. . .but that just increases the nostalgic appeal.

Posted: 16 Mar 2021, 16:07 

I've been on kind of an LD tear lately, with both online purchases (singles and small lots), and local pickups. Highlights include:

Ice Station Zebra
Career Opportunities
December
Mountains of the Moon
Johnny Handsome WS
Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth box set
Wolfen
No Way Out WS
Last Days of Man on Earth

Posted: 20 Mar 2021, 15:57 

For whatever reason, I decided to conduct a Weird Experiment/Survey after thinking about physical media. I looked at the various LDs I had purchased online over the past several months with price excluding shipping (some were part of small lots), and then looked up the same films on bluray.com which has a quite extensive database and links to the going Amazon price. Sure, I’m comparing used vs new, but I would point out that all the LDs were in VG+ condition or even in their original shrink wrap. I was just curious – what’s out there and how do the prices compare? So now, the bell sounds and the Battle of the Decades commences. In this corner – Laserdisc at a lifespan of 22 years and 425 horizontal lines of resolution. And in the other - Blu-ray Disc, with a 15 year lifespan to date and a total of over 2M pixels.

[list=] Title............................... LD $.................BRD $
Stalin 1993 miniseries_____________5______________Not Available
38: Vienna Before the Fall_________8______________Not Available
Is Paris Burning__________________7______________No Release Date
The Alamo (roadshow)____________19_____________No Release Date (either version)
Blue Tornado____________________16_____________Not Available
Two Girls and a Guy______________6______________70; 2 cuts, OOP
Khartoum_______________________5______________99; LE of 3000, OOP
The Rapture_____________________10_____________No Release Date
Final Notice_____________________5______________Not Available
Andrei Rublev (Criterion)__________12______________29
Demetrius and the Gladiators_______5______________137; LE of 3000, OOP
The Fan (81)____________________1______________21
The Brady Bunch Movie___________1______________No Release Date
Sleeping With the Enemy__________2______________7
The Naked Jungle________________6______________Not Available
Ironclads_______________________14_____________Not Available
Rollerball_______________________15______________25
Dune Warriors___________________15______________45; Screen Archives OOP
The Thief of Bagdad (1940)________2_______________No Release Date
The American President___________2_______________15
Hamburger Hill WS_______________6_______________7.50
Wild Side______________________10_______________Not Available
Fatal Attraction WS______________8_______________17
Ice Station Zebra________________6_______________15
December______________________5________________20 MSRP for Bundle pack in May 2021
Quigley Down Under______________4________________20
No Way Out WS_________________5________________80; OOP?
Altered States__________________3________________15
Last Days of Man on Earth________3________________20; Shout
Alexander the Great_____________3________________35; LE of 3000, OOP
The Blue Lagoon________________8________________90; LE of 3000, OOP
Yanks_________________________5________________21; LE of 3000
Topaz_________________________2.50_____________15
A Midnight Clear________________2.50______________22
The Time Guardian______________15________________listed as 'Early 2021'
Cat People_____________________7________________16
The Prodigal____________________9________________Not Available[/list]

The results were surprising to say the least. 22 of 37 titles (nearly 66%) either have never been released on Blu-ray, or are currently OOP with inflated prices. If I were to try and replace my LD collection with BRDs, at this rate I’d go bankrupt! LD for the win, I’d say Blu was KOed in the fifth round. If I reran the experiment with DVD, I’m sure prices would be lower on average and the number of available titles higher, but I’m guessing LD would still be the overall winner.

This just calls into question the naysayers we typically run into on web forums who seem to leap at the chance to call Laserdisc expensive, useless, pointless. Looking at these results, which format is more accessible? Which one is the ‘niche’ format? Which has a more robust catalog? Is more consumer friendly, even? I’m preaching to the choir on LDDB, but these are real questions with murky/evolving answers. LD definitely has a role to play in 2021.

Posted: 19 Feb 2022, 18:56 

Locally, I stumbled across two LDs signed by Roy Scheider (All That Jazz; 2010), and am seriously considering testing the waters on Ebay. But I generally don't like scouting out 'rare' titles as I can feel the prices making my heart palpitate. . . . :crazy:

Posted: 27 Mar 2022, 17:03 

The poster thinks that pricey collector LDs somehow have higher resolution, as opposed to 'affordable' ones. That just seems logically incorrect - the format specs are the format specs.

But, I have no reason to disbelieve that 1986 minimum wage in Ontario.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 8 matches ]