It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 08:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 32 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 10 May 2019, 19:10 

try also to search for laZer disc (with the z) and "big dvd" (no joke)

Posted: 12 Jun 2019, 11:54 

So I tested a few more discs to see if it happen again, and yes it has happened on all of the discs I've tested, but I managed to capture the effect quite clearly on camera on one of them (because on this one it was quite big).

20190611_103228.jpg

I know it can't be the discs, They all were playing great on my 925.

I've also thought about dirt or other stuff inside the player, haven't opened to see if there is any yet but will check (don't worry, I ain't touching anything this time, open, look, close, that's it)
You are saying not to clean lens with alcohol, why is that, and so what to use (just to know), I never have cleaned an LD player lens before.

Anyway, thanks for your advises.

Posted: 15 Jun 2019, 16:59 

Finally got my eyes on City Hunter : Shinjuku Private Eyes.
I was lucky enough to have a theater (the only one) in my town showing it in original version with subs (only one screening on Thursday) so I jumped on the occasion, and boy, was it worth the wait !
Let's be honest, the movie is quite far from perfect but it was a real pleasure all along, the sound and picture were great, at every music or character appearance, we were all cheering like fanboys, it probably was the best time I ever had in a theater.
So if you have the occasion (and like City Hunter, but seriously, who doesn't ?) go see it !

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 12:49 

If I'm not mistaken, the components output on the DVL series (919 and 909) are only for dvd output, not LD.
From what I can see, your screen is a crt, so if the player is already plugged using composite, I don't think you can get a much better picture than what you have (maybe try using s-video to compare and use which you prefer). Although, while the DVL serie isn't renowned for their picture quality, maybe the laser itself isn't in a great shape and might need some cleaning and/or a proper calibration (for which I can't really help since I don't know much on that) or is just used from years of service.

Posted: 17 Sep 2019, 10:37 

Now, who wants to win a trip to 90's Hollywood ? :lol:

https://image.noelshack.com/minis/2019/38/2/1568712544-tripdiscf.png
https://image.noelshack.com/minis/2019/38/2/1568711386-tripdiscb.png

While reading through this thread, I remembered that one of my LD had some promotional items in it. The one above is a disc sized flyer advert for a contest to win a trip to Hollywood.
All you had to do was fill in some stuff about how you discovered LD, why do you think it's superior etc...
But also answer some real hard questions on the bottom left like : "who is the director of The Thing ? a)John Boorman b)John Carpenter c)John Wayne"

The second one is a promotional flyer to subscribe to the french magazine " Les Années Laser "

https://image.noelshack.com/minis/2019/38/2/1568711391-annelaserf.png
https://image.noelshack.com/minis/2019/38/2/1568711394-annelaserb.png

There is nothing really noteworthy about LDs or the magazine on it, it's just that there is a nice and sexy Miss Laserdisc on the back
https://image.noelshack.com/minis/2019/38/2/1568711396-missld.png
I just find it funny to have a Laserdisc serves as hat, I'm waiting on a cosplay of her :D

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 08 Oct 2019, 15:35 

Just received City Hunter 2 Vol.1 and 3

Attachment:
LDSaebaMecompr.jpg

Thanks Julien.

Posted: 28 Oct 2019, 17:19 

Just watched Toy Story 4 today, only one word...atrocious.

Posted: 02 Nov 2019, 00:21 

I know that no company at all actually support any real ideology. But the fact is that the trending movements these days are feminsm/sjw/lgbtqalphatango and all the other degeneracy that this world as crumbled to. And Disney, by not wanting to be politically incorrect with the fear of not earning potential money, are pushing this agenda, just see all their marvel/star wars, etc... they all have somthing that is in adequation with those movement, "put an incompetant woman with colored hair as a starship commander here" "here, make a movie only about black heroes" "oh and don't forget to make this character gay or queer, or cast a queer actoressess". Even if it's just for money, they are pushing it, and there is some semblance of it in toy story 4.

Posted: 02 Nov 2019, 09:01 

Any company as big as Disney will support anything that makes them grow and suppress anything that doesn’t.
That's basically what I meant by what I said, they don't give any f**k to any cause unless there is money they can milk on it.

Your post is free fake Feminist advertising for Disney.
How is my post where I basically s**t over the movie, and tell it's filled with crap propaganda an advertising, I mean if you want to see it after what I said, you got a serious problem indeed.
Also I didn't paid any money to see it, I only lost time on this movie (and also "arguing" with you)

In crappy kids cartoons Toy Story, a crappy kid cartoon ? ok, then...

I don't despise woman alright, despite what you seem to believe, "macho bro jackoff", "incels" (wow, they really like using this one to describe any un-supportive person of this kind of movement), so in any case, thanks for the free insults, and thanks for showing us your true self.
Now it's time for this to end.

Posted: 07 Feb 2020, 08:37 

I think this explains it better if you haven't read it already.
https://www.lddb.com/help_ratio.php

Posted: 09 Feb 2020, 18:34 

Just finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam, watched it on the mighty LaserDisc boxset I have.
Took me a while to finish it though as I stopped midway through the series because I was getting tired of it (more on that below).

The anime starts quite nicely and has a good rhythm in it's time allocation for action scenes and dialogues/expository scenes for the first few episodes, also the Mobile Suits looks great imo and the animation isn't bad (I know it's an old anime, so I kept that in mind to judge the animation).
Oh yeah, and the music was quite nice and catchy, especially the openings and some of the recurrent cues and themes.
But then, around let's say ep.15 (arbitrary number, don't remember exactly), the anime started to fall in some kind of episode scheme, for like 10 or more episodes in a row it was either "Oh look, Zeon has a new mobile suit, will it be able to defeat the Gundam" "Oh my god, Zeon has another Mobile suit, but this one goes underwaterrrr..." or it was "oh no, this guy is deserting, but then he came back" , then "oh no, this one guy is also deserting, but he'll also come back, be sure to check out next episode which will be that other guy desertion episode where he'll also come back at the end" .
I was just for Zeon at this point, I just wanted them to win so the white base soldiers would just stop their one at a time whining about being in a war. And that's where I gave up and stopped watching.

Fast Forward to a few days ago, I was just so bored that I was like "hey why not try to continue watching this thing" so I started watching it again, and here I am, having just finished watching the last episode.
The episodes where way better than the ones that made me stop to be honest.
I also have to say that those last 3 episodes are really great and show us an engaging final battle.

As a conclusion I'd say that Mobile suit Gundam is kind of a mixed bag for me, because there is like :
-1/4 of really good episodes
-2/4 of ok/average episodes
-1/4 of really bad/boring episodes

So I'm questioning myself, what made this anime so famous, was it only for the robots design ? I'm know it's a '79 anime, as it's the oldest anime I have seen, I don't know much about this period or the period before it, and maybe this anime was groundbreaking in some way at the time, but know, it just feels dull most of the time.

Posted: 27 Feb 2020, 12:50 

the very firsts words : After the invention of VHS well yes but actually no, not even talking about the rest of the errors he made.
yeah...basically he did what I do for laughs when I get really bored and just got on ebay to laugh at prices of stuff, except that he made an "article" about it, some true journalism right here XD.

Post subject: Re: Greetings from Vermont!
Posted: 27 Feb 2020, 17:28 

welcome on board. A little tip for you, try not to stack your LDs like this, they are leaning too much on the side and this could potentially get some of them to warp given enough time.
Try to keep them in an upright vertical position.
Other than that hope you enjoy your stay and learn more about the hobby.

Post subject: Re: LaserMidi?
Posted: 29 Mar 2020, 09:44 

Just found one for sale here on "Leboncoin".
This one is called a V75 "Dolby" and it's retail cost was the equivalent of around 2 000 today's €.

V75 front.jpg

There even is a scan of an article on it from "Les années Laser".
With what I read from the article, it sounds like the "midi" name is used more like it rather just means "HiFi" than anything else really.

Still a pretty unique thing in the LD world for sure.

Posted: 09 Apr 2020, 10:46 

Your setup looks really nice forper, lots of space too.
As for the cables, I did not have any cable management done when I took the picture yesterday, but it looks quite clean now.

Posted: 10 Apr 2020, 08:19 

The xbox was the best console of it's generation, best exclusive games, it was the most powerful, hell it could output 720p at 60 fps on some games, the ports were globally better than on the other consoles, it even has the best controller ever made (the duke).
As for the cdi, I understand that most people are just ignorants about it and only know the zelda games (even though, to me, they're the best zelda games because zelda games aren't really good games to begin with), but it really is a little gem of a console I grew fond of, lots of unknown little games that are quite good, even though not easy to come by.

The third player is a CLD-315, it's the one I bought like, a year ago now I think, that had some playback issue with lines appearing mid disc.
Anyway it's just a "spare parts" player now as I took it's laser assembly and put it in my 925 to replace the one I broke like an idiot.
EDIT: I just understood you meant the top one, well it's a CLD-D925 that I had since forever.

Posted: 17 Apr 2020, 13:34 

Movie dubbing is probably the cinema branch in which France really excels. You wouldn't believe how much some studios need to spend to get some now famous voices of an actor because if they don't, the movie is sure to not bring them the money they want in cinemas and on video exploitation.
The vast majority of the dubs made before around 2010 are really great, with some that I find vastly superior to their original counterparts, Like Back to the Future or the Star Wars for exemple, btw I forgot to say in my last post, but it was the first time I saw The Phantom Menace in english, and all the actors really sound like they all have been anesthetized so I kind of understand now why people find the movie boring.
Or Bruce Willis, to me he is in french dub only, Patrick Poivey (his french voice) is really excellent in his job and gives a better (and funnier, in the right way) performance than Bruce.
Daniel Beretta (Schwarzenegger) isn't bad too, even though I prefer the austrian accent of Schwarzy.
I know it's something english speaking people can't really understand but I know italian and spanish for exemple also love their own dub for some movies.

Posted: 18 Apr 2020, 10:02 

Isn’t it possible, likely even, that you just have very bad taste? No, do you ? You always like to criticize others people views, taste and ways of thinking, as if you're any better, yet you never seem to question your own judgement and probably think as if your always right.
Let's be serious for a moment, for the CDi, I know it looks I'm reaching, but I genuinely find an appeal to this machine, it's story and it's library.
As for the Phantom Menace, except for the dialogues and some of the acting, it's a really solid movie, I never understood the hate for the prequels and probably never will, tbh, I'm getting tired of it, especially since it crossed my mind that it might be because of people like you and other haters that we got the crap disney have been pouring on us for the past few years.

And to answer your last question, I don't really have a favourite album, I mostly listen to OSTs and City Pop music.

This topic really got out of hands hey.

Posted: 19 Apr 2020, 06:41 

Well Forper, there's quite a lot I like but some of my favorite are from artists such as kaoru akimoto, toshiki kadomatso, anri, akina nakamori, junko yagami and a lot of others from whom it's mostly one song I listen too.
Oh and also the whole City Hunter anime soundtrack.
Do you listen to some city pop too Forper ?

Posted: 26 Apr 2020, 12:18 

forper wrote:
Quote:
¡CÓMETE LA PELOTA!

That's spanish, not french... :lol:

Posted: 15 May 2020, 22:40 

cplusplus wrote:
That is a pretty unique player: single-side with AC-3 RF out.

Not all of them have an AC3 output

Post subject: Re: Faulty towers is racist
Posted: 12 Jun 2020, 11:01 

Never heard of the show before, but yes, the world has gone mad since a few years I think, now about almost everything has been categorized as "offensive" in someway or another by some community over the internet on social media, by "journalists" and all other kinds of activists.

Posted: 13 Jun 2020, 09:18 

It's still quite an achievement !
As I first joined this site and started learning about this format, I never thought that so many different titles had been made on it.
Just now wandering, multiply the numbers of titles by the their respective pressing numbers, how many Laserdiscs is there on this planet ? :shock:

Post subject: Re: Fawlty towers is racist
Posted: 14 Jun 2020, 10:33 

Sonicboom, people here just exposed your nonsensical "arguments" way more eloquently than I could ever do in this language, but I still wanna add my thoughts in the mixture.

I've seen a lot of opinions like yours on social media on things like racism, diversity, gender equality and other social concerns.

Out of honest curiosity, are you an african-american ? I'm guessing not.

So then, what gives you the right to speak on the behalf of african-american about how they are portrayed in the media and what they think about it ? Virtue signaling and white knighting aren't valid excuses. Perhaps you should instead just listen and allow them to educate you on how that kind of behavior can be harmful and offensive?

See how easy it is, by playing by those rules, how easy it is to turn your words against you. And this kind of "counter argument" really happens on social media and people end up virtue signaling each other until no end.

This kind of "argument" is real b******t to me and I'm sick and tired of hearing this all the time. This "Hurr durr, your not this, so you can't speak about that" kind of thinking is just actively digging bigger gaps between people and separating them more and more.
I mean just look what the "anti-racists" way of thinking almost ended up doing; in a universty in the US (don't remember wich one), there was talk about separating "people of color" from whites, because "they should have the rights to graduate between themselves without white intervention and colonialist way of thinking" or something like that.
They wanted the apartheid all over again, but they'd do it with a mile on their faces fighting "white supremacy".

"Anti-racists" today is just a codeword for racism against white people.
You know what, I'm going to stop here. I was going to continue and destroy one by one each of the so called arguments people like you use, but it's not worth it and I have other things to do.

Just let me say this, stop your "virtue signaling", for your own sake. You just look like a fool acting like this white savior trying to educate us poor uneducated savages.

And come one, triangle and square ?
You see us like that or what.
e80cd151e4e22cf6e50f811c3fe7f67e.jpg
Page 1 of 2 [ Search found 32 matches ]