It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 12:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 7 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 28 Sep 2016, 02:07 

Is there some website somewhere that is specifically responsible for making noobs think that LD is "uncompressed"? We get people here all the time repeating that lie.

LD is based on composite video and is therefore HUGELY compressed. That's why it looks like total crap compared to RGB. Not even half the information is there.

Personally, I would love to buy a few new LDs but you couldn't kickstart a laser POINTER with the amount of totally ridiculous new age pseudo science coming out of this guy's keyboard. No engineer is going to waste his time taking a year off to work on a project spearheaded by someone who believes in the healing powers of analog fairies.

Posted: 29 Sep 2016, 18:38 

With this level of intellect, I am surprised you can operate a laserdisc player to be honest.

Posted: 03 Oct 2016, 17:58 

forper wrote:
You're just another tech guy who thinks with his head, not his heart.

Just like the engineers responsible for the Laserdisc format, right?

Posted: 02 Feb 2019, 00:42 

It’s perfectly OK to do everything possible to jack up prices but anyone working the opposite angle is “negative”...negative because $6000 LDs are a good idea (positive, I guess) in the eyes of people who buy and sell them.

We can talk about how much The Sixth Day is “worth” (you know, it a positive way...which is defined by how much it’s value is positively incriminating during the thread) but we can’t question those claims of value without super collectors and wannabe super collectors trying to shut the coversation down because it violates their world view.*

It’s pretty easy to see the people who got into this scene late and for hype based reasons. He jumped into this thread to argue the “pro” for $6000 LDs. He’s politicking as much as I am, he’s just worse at it. He probably thinks I’m trying to tank his retirement plan. :)

It’s in no way whatsoever a matter of artistic preference, as people keep bring up. The bad taste I’m dumping on is the African dictator school of LD collecting. I own dozens of objectively bad movies on LD. We talk about those all the time here. Nobody talks about The Sixth Day. It isn’t popular. It isn’t taste bad or good, it’s a forgotten film. Only people who buy $6000 LDs even know what it is by and large. I’ll buy and watch objectively bad movies on all sorts of formats all day but I’ve never bought one to brag about it’s value. That’s just gouche in the worst way. Like dubs on a Dodge. If someone asked me if I wanted to see their collection of “late rare LDs” I’d say, no, show me your misspelled tattoos or your mini football hemlets. Something you really have passion for. :)

* That being pretty much, “I never really got into punk rock”

Post subject: Re: Longest CAV Side?
Posted: 04 Apr 2019, 14:50 

I can't believe I failed math this badly. :sick: 69 divided by 3 is not 33.

Posted: 03 May 2019, 14:06 

In a way it's positive that he won't see SW9.

Posted: 12 May 2019, 01:31 

Was forced to see detective pikachu by my f***ing idiot friend last night. At least he bought the tickets.

The PC-ness is so painful. It's definitely a movie made in 2019.

The heroes are a black kid and a white girl? tick.
The seemingly good white man at the start of the movie actually turns out to be super evil? tick
The seemingly evil white woman agent type is actually just a shape shifting evil pokemon controlled by the evil white man? tick.
Pikachu's dad is a good white man at the end but he looks like a young Guardian writer and he married a black woman so he's safe? tick
Pikachu asks the audience how they can't believe in climate change now during an EARTHQUAKE. tick
Pikachu suggests they go press the female reporter for more info but then quickly makes clear to the audience it's actually a metaphor. He then calls her a dame and is shamed by the kid and told women don't like that. tick.

Jesus Christ, I was really not liking the brainwashing of the kids (and some of the adults) in the audience and being talked down to constantly but stayed to see how many more left wing/social justice/identity politics messages they could cram into a movie about a f***ing yellow piece of s**t.

The effects were pretty good and the giant baby miming pokemon (f**k, is that a real pokemon?) is about the creepiest thing I've seen in a while. I had to look away.

By the way Disney has officially run out of ideas. The previews were for Toy Story 4, The Jungle Book, The Lion King and Aladdin.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 7 matches ]