It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 5 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: How much would you pay
Posted: 15 Mar 2013, 18:58 

The 6th Day is underrated. A really entertaining well made film. Much better then say: End of Days.
Hi yes End of days is terrible but it's the reason i asked what would people pay why pay a small fortune for crap just because its the last American Ac3 release i can't relate to that kind of collector

Because they don't know how else to do it.

A true movie fan says, "I Love Dr. Strangelove, I'm going to get all the Kubrick stuff, even if some of it is junky". Kubrick, Godzilla, Star Wars, Bergman, Wells, Miyazaki, Woody Allen, Kamen Rider, Bugs Bunny, movies based on Phillip K Dick stories, scenery discs, Beatles related, Formula 1, whatever.

For people who simply aren't emotionally moved by the actual contents of the movie but still want to hoard crap like any other human, they have to find some other, easily definable category to focus their efforts on. DTS or AC3 are pretty good since that stuff is plainly written on the jacket. No need to fall in love with the movie, or understand the movie, or even watch it, or even OPEN the thing. Its written right there on the back of the package!

"Does it say DTS? Then yes, I want it. No, I've never seen the movie, and I don't care that is stars Jennifer Aniston and has a %12 rating on rotten tomatoes and sits in the $1 DVD bin at Walmart. I want it. Here is $300".

If someone used to work at Sony or in the theater business or their dad invented DTS or something, then I guess there is some emotion there, but otherwise these people should really be collecting stamps if all they want to do is tick boxes. I mean, if you have 5000 LDs and are polishing off the DTS then..I guess that's less crazy, but I've actually seen guys who describe their collection as "mostly DTS" which is...depressing. "Mostly Hollywood garbage released during a two year timespan" is more like it.

And IMO it harmless, if borderline autistic, because when these guys get in a bidding war over late period releases they are, most of the time, only jacking up the price on garbage. I mean, I *want* to buy DTS LDs, in theory, but the selection of titles in pretty terrible. Besides, i can't tell the difference between AC3 and DTS with my mediocre speakers anyway so I'll stick to AC3 since the selection is much much better.

Ideas for abstract collecting schemes:

LDs that span three sides with the first side being CAV and sides 2 and 3 being CLV.

LDs where the isolated music or commentary are split between the L and R channels even though the disc has digital sound.

Movies about choo choo trains. - Idea rejected for being too emotional and human.

LDs that came in digipacks.

LD singles released in the month of March.

Posted: 01 Mar 2019, 13:59 

Hi,

the "selling" prices really are irrelevant, you want what they have actually sold for. On here there is a past sales bit that shows what titles have sold for in the past & ebay also has the same information.

Most LDs really are only "worth" what someone is willing to pay though the so called rare titles can go for quite a bit but in reality there are not that many that go for what could be called big bucks.

How many do you have? What are the titles? The LD catalogue number would help as some titles have been issued a few times.

Sorry & not a dig in any way but unless you are holding any really sought after discs most are likely to be a few dollars each at most, that is if they do sell as there are lots out in the market place.

Cheers

Posted: 01 Mar 2019, 16:11 

I want to maximize my return.
Good luck with this one.

And, I don't want them sitting posted here for months and months and months.
And this one too.

Ebay will be your fastest method of unloading such a product.

Its not like you can setup at a fleamarket and expect anybody to pay you more than .50 cents each.

Man when I look at some of the CDs I've bought over the past few years for 1-3 dollars and think what people actually paid for these.
I've been looking at these Looney Tunes Golden Age DVDs.
A person just listed and sold the lot of 6 DVD volumes on ebay BIN for 65 bucks, she posted that her husband bought them new and
never watched them :sick:

Do you realize that these cost 50 bucks each new at Best Buy.

Good luck, if you don't want to deal with shipping you may be well off with craigslist too.

Posted: 01 Mar 2019, 16:48 

What I can't figure out is how to determine past sales prices on this site.

That's an easy one, each LD page has the previous stats + graphs available.

Example for a popular title such as Matrix, The (1999) [17665]

Qty Min Avg Max
Sealed 5 $123.00 $166.96 $205.00
Mint 42 $8.00 $111.48 $248.23
Used 6 $7.00 $93.83 $155.44

And the graphs are: https://www.lddb.com/past/9271/

I know the static images generated in PHP are not the best, I'm working on integrating with AnyChart .

Julien

Posted: 01 Mar 2019, 17:02 

Zeta is grumpy but pretty much correct. On my last order from G&J I tossed in a few cheapy movies just because I'm already paying enough for shipping. Out of the loads of LD titles out there, most domestic releases are pretty cheap. He nailed it with "music related, imports, Criterion, anime, or some sort of special interest."* Special interest covers a wide range but I would say definitely releases that are collectible for one reason or another and then stuff like Star Wars and The Matrix. Star Wars because of it's raw unedited nature and The Matrix because it's not color ruined with green tint. There are other examples as well of course those are two of the big ones.

*The only LD movies I've ever bought individually are anime, Criterion and foreign films.

And he is right in that your best bet is just listing the titles here if you want it done fast. You said there are not many and you will get enough honest posters to reply and let you know what is and isn't valuable. You could even let us know your threshold for if a movie is worth selling or not and maybe someone would be interested in the bulk as well if you'd be willing to ship it. While value is an inexact science I would bet almost everyone here could tell you if each disc is worth say, at least $15 or not. Cheers.

The stats on the site that admin referenced are good as well. Easy to check, much moreso than eBay.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 5 matches ]