It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 10 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 12 Nov 2021, 14:15 

Since my player is back in action, I've been revisitng my Tenchi Universe boxes. :)

Post subject: How do you play your sides?
Posted: 22 Feb 2022, 14:29 

N.B. - For those of you who have "auto flip" players.

If you are going to play an LD and you know for a fact that you will only be viewing Side-B of a particular LD (for whatever reason) do you.

1) Put the disc in normally and then press "B" on the remote and let the player flip the lens to the other side

or

2) Put the disc in upside down and press "A" on the remove to access the content so the lens does not flip over to the other side

:)
Cheers,

Posted: 29 Sep 2023, 02:35 

Hello everyone,

A massive(?) update to this problem.

October 2022 my Yamaha stopped turning on (even though the standby light was still lit). Pressed the power button, nothing happened, no response etc. Oh well I thought, that was that.

To quote myself in the previous post:

this will be something to visit in the future when keeping the unit plugged in (on standby) no longer works.

Later on that week, I had been watching a few TV shows on my HD media player.

After watching a few episodes I turned off the media player and just before turning off the amp I decided to try and turn on the LD player. Much to my surprise, it turned on without any problems whatsoever. Very strange. But okay.

Following night, I tried to turn on the LD, as above, nothing happened. So I watched a few TV episodes of something, again, after finishing watching TV, I tried the LD player, and again, it turned on!

What the heck ? :)

Now, my AV rack has the amp on the lowest shelf, the middle shelf houses the Yamaha LD player and the top shelf has my two bluray players and a media player which is connected to some HDD towers.
Upon further investigation, the amp has heat vents on the top of it, and the shelves in the AV rack have holes for "air to flow up/out" -- so it appeared the heat coming from the amp had been heating the LD player's capacitors on its power-board.

That weekend, to test my theory I took the player back out of the rack and took off its case on the dining room table, plugged the player back in, standby light was lit, pressed power on, and again, nothing. I removed the cover, manually opened the tray and got the hair dryer from the bathroom. Being *very* *very* careful I waved the hair-dryer over the capacitors on the power-board once or twice, pressed power on and the LD player turned on and loaded as per normal.

Right, it seemed the caps were well and truly on the way out, and the only way to bring them back to life was literally warming them up.

Real life then got in the way of things for a bit.

Fast forward to this August, and after watching numerous youtube videos about soldering and desoldering, and many thanks to @brmanuk 's post https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9534&p=118844#p118844 , which helped with the capacitors, I ordered new capacitors for the VWR-1268-B (which used exactly the same capacitors as his PCB in his post), making sure I got the volts and uF correct for each capacitor.

Yesterday, I spent most of the morning and part of the early afternoon desoldering all the capacitors from the power-board and soldering on the new ones I had ordered. I made doubly sure that the capacitors were the correct rating/voltage, had been oriented the right way etc and my soldering of the capacitors was halfway decent (not complete rubbish) :-)

I put the board back into the player, the standby light was lit, I pressed the power button and the machine powered up immediately, as it used to, as it should. :relaxed:

@cplusplus 's comment from https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=10065&start=20&p=127103#p127103 , a blind re-cap of the entire power-board seems to have fixed my problem. :)

So, that's where it is at-the-moment, problem seems to be fixed.

A big Thank You to @cplusplus for all his comments/help with this problem, "Thank you", and thank you to all who read this.

Here are two photographs of the power-board, one photo of the PCB before the re-cap and one after the re-cap.

Before:
VWR-1268-B-(1)Before recap.1.jpg

After: ( Please ignore the nasty burn marks in the glue near C20 and C21. :-o )
VWR-1268-B-(2)After recap.1.jpg

Posted: 11 Oct 2023, 04:04 

With my limited knowledge of LD players, no.

The only way to get AC3 5.1 is via an AC3RF out.

DTS could be played back via the optical cables to to a receiver that decoded the signal.

Cheers,

Post subject: Re: [CLD-737] Power Issue
Posted: 28 Oct 2023, 11:27 

I too had problems with capacitors on my LD player (a Yamaha) and a recap of the entire power board has given it a new lease on life. :)

Cheers,

Posted: 26 Nov 2023, 04:05 

After much searching, I finally found a hardware seller of the Domesday Duplicator and he's asking for US$500+ for a complete kit... so yeah... nah.

Posted: 25 Dec 2023, 02:03 

Merry Christmas to all.

:)

Posted: 08 Jan 2024, 10:27 

This(!) is the video that helped me fix all my U1 errors. :)

:thumbup:

Posted: 18 Jan 2024, 04:08 

Don't think MUSE LD span at that speed. :)

Posted: 18 Jan 2024, 12:05 

I've got a 50" Panasonic VIERA.

Can't (really) complain with full-frame LDs (via composite). :)
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 10 matches ]