It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 138 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 24 Nov 2011, 02:04 

I enjoy finding vintage appliances and electronics at yard sales and thrift shops that are less than complete of not working and restoring them when possible. I think I know just about every type of mixing bowl or beaters fit which brand mixer, and what blender jar goes to which base, etc. I like getting even the lesser brands of electronics and getting them operating. Something that grew out of my Dad's repair shop.

Just two days ago I picked up a 70s Elgin 8-track amp/receiver in pretty nice shape, walnut finish, just all dirty and such, for $5 and got a set of bookshelf Sanyo walnut finish speakers that match it perfectly for $7. After a good clean-up, and an 8-track tape popped in, it worked fine. Also has good AM and FM pickup and two inputs for phono & aux. That was fun. If I don't keep it, I'll make sure it gets a good home.

Posted: 28 Mar 2018, 04:12 

Looks like Theta Casa Nova also had the same digital input board as the Casablanca. It has 2 RF inputs, 6 coax , 2 optical, 110 ohm XLR balanced, 6 pair of analog inputs, 2 coax out. It is a nice pre-pro. They usually go for $250ish on ebay.

It would make a great hub for 2 LD players and some other.

old reply. but this model is indeed on the optional header list.

Posted: 19 Apr 2018, 01:24 

So yes you will need a schematic to know where the points are on the circuit board of the 3070 (it’s more than just the AFM tapppng point) but you’ll also need to build your own AC3-RF board to bring it all together.

No one I know of has made these boards recently to sell as a DIY kit (I bought five of them all about 18 years ago). In any case, I am in the middle of testing my own homemade AC3-RF board and hoping I did it right. If it works, i’m going to retrofit the rest of my players to make them all AC3 compatible.

Dave

Posted: 24 Jul 2019, 01:01 

Of course Criterion makes money. That's why they charge what they do. They know they are better off charging $30-40 a movie because they are worth it. Plus lowering the price by $15 doesn't make sense because the loss in margin wouldn't be offset by the amount of new buyers coming in at that price point.

Posted: 04 Aug 2019, 09:58 

Just finally came across another and thought i would ask. There is also a CLD-980 but ill assume would be the same case?

The 980 is a lower end model than the 1080 (younger sister of the 1070). The problem I have with the 900 series is that they don’t have a full readout LED display (e.g.: like seeing the chapters, time, and frame counter from the player itself) and they are lighter in weight which means they vibrate more and are mechanically noisier machines (something that I feel does play a part in performance as well).

Posted: 03 Nov 2019, 02:38 

daffodil31le wrote:
Hi,

Maybe a silly question, but wouldn't it be nice to add an option in the LD section to select the type of dead side on a disc?

Like "Turtle", "Mirror", "Spray", "Program Material..." and others.

That is not a bad idea at all :thumbup: .

Posted: 04 Dec 2019, 06:02 

The 2 rarest discs in my collection currently!

While Melody Time isn't in the greatest shape and is missing the OBI, I didn't want to pass it up because of it's rarity.

Make Mine Music is in SUPERB condition, complete with OBI and inserts. Make Mine Music still has not been released on Disney+, so for now, this is perhaps the one of the best home video releases of the film.

Post subject: Re: Wrong Update
Posted: 07 Dec 2019, 09:16 

word. Is that really you in your avatar?

Posted: 10 Dec 2019, 03:53 

I would never frame a disc unless it was already junk. Honestly, I have thousands of records and LDs and have never seriously considering framing any of them but if I were to frame and LD I would make sure it was already junk. It can’t be as good for it as proper storage is.

Posted: 11 Dec 2019, 23:24 

Most recent watch list:

Skyfall - One of the best Bond movies in my opinion.

Love, Simon - coming of age movie about a gay teen.

Animal Kingdom - pretty forgettable crime drama.

Spectre - Another really great addition to the James Bond franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Perhaps the best Marvel movie release yet.

Live and Let Die *DEFECTIVE* (1973) [ML101418] - pretty cheezy 007.

The Broken - interesting horror/thriller movie.

Man with the Golden Gun, The (1974) [ML101419] - we see Roger Moore improve the bond series with this one.

A Quiet Place - I thought this was an interesting take on the alien/horror genre.

Spy Who Loved Me, The (1977) [ML101743] - corny but entertaining James Bond.

A Single Man - was not a huge fan of this film. Kind of slow and boring.

Moonraker (1979) [ML101710] - Completely outragous but entertaining "James Bond goes to space."

Nine - very disappointed in the movie full of big-name talent. Ultimately, it was just boring.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - I thought that this was one of the better additions to the Star Wars universe of late.

Wonder Woman - Fun superhero action movie.

Ocean's 8 - just watch Ocean's 11, trust me.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - another big-budget action movie. It was entertaining and recommended if you are a Jurassic Park fan.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again - I thought the first one was better, but still entertaining with some good songs.

Ant-Man and the Wasp - Another Marvel superhero flick. Entertaining and I like Paul Rudd.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) [70226] - a funny movie with Gene Wilder and Richard Prior.

Skyscraper - a cheezy action movie with the Rock.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - an interesting movie that has a unique "quirkiness" about it.

For Your Eyes Only (1981) [ML101725] - James Moore as James bond returns again.

Angels and Demons - this has been my favorite of the series. I highly recommend it.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout - good Tom Cruise movie.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 - the gang returns again. Good movie with another outstanding soundtrack.

Murder on the Orient Express - Lots of big-name actors but for some reason it felt "flat." Still worth a watch if you are a fan of the classic book.

Dragonheart (1996) [42973] - super cheezy movie with one of the best soundtracks ever written.

Venom - another "superhero" movie but it didn't impress too much.

Borg vs McEnroe - heavily "altered" retelling of sports history. It was ok.

Crazy Rich Asians - I know lots of people liked this but it really didn't do it for me.

The Meg - Bad "B" movie with a big budget.

Mandy - Really really weird movie.

The Predator - Totally milked franchise at this point. Just watch the original with Arnold.

Tully - an interesting movie with a twist at the end.

The House with a Clock in its Walls - too over-the-top for me. Maybe better for kids.

Johnny English Strikes Again - funny spy spoof. I think this is the 3rd one in the series.

Footloose (1984) [LV 1589] - the classic with Kevin Bacon.

Bohemian Rhapsody - I really like Queen's music so I'm not sure what I enjoyed more, the story or the music.

First Man - a definite watch if you are a space buff.

Creed II - another rocky movie. I've lost count at this point but I liked the ones from the 70's/80's more.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - a must-watch for fans of the Harry Potter universe.

A Star Is Born - I thought that this was "ok" at best. Not sure what all the buzz was about.

Aquaman - pretty good superhero movie. Lots of visual effects but I thought they did a good job with all the underwater scenery.

The Mule - good movie with a very aging Clint Eastwood.

Green Book - great movie. Highly recommend.

Glass - the finisher to the trilogy. I'm happy to see the director making some good movies again.

Holmes & Watson - My god, one of the worst movies ever. And that's coming from somebody who thought Step Brothers was good.

Bumblebee - Considering how bad the series has been, this was actually much better than expected. Probably the best "transformers movie" thus far.

Destination Wedding -

Mortal Engines -

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part -

Replicas -

Colette -

Supercop: Special Edition #327 (1992) [CC1479L] -

The Equalizer 2 -

Her Alibi (1989) [11835] -

Hot Shots! (1991) [1930-80] -

A Simple Favor - An interesting psychological thriller.

The Spy Who Dumped Me - Just terrible. Painful to watch.

They Shall Not Grow Old - Any fan of history should see this documentary by Peter Jackson. The restored footage is amazing.

Captain Marvel - Another "so so" addition to the Marvel universe.

Shazam - Kind of ok, "made for kids" superhero movie.

Fighting with My Family - Fairly entertaining wrestling movie.

Hotel Mumbai - Very entertaining movie based on real-life terrorist attacks in India.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - I can't believe this movie took 20+ year to make. It was kind of a let down in all honesty and I like the director's previous movies.

Tolkien - Interesting biopic of Tolkien's early life which shaped many of the themes in his later books.

Side by Side - Keanu Reeves narrated a documentary about digital vs celluloid film making. Interesting watch if you like the technical side of movie-making.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Fun movie for the (big) kids.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Continuation of the saga.

The Princess Bride - One of my all-time favorite childhood movies. Highly recommended.

Maleficent - a Nice reimagining of the Disney classic.

Hellboy - Pretty terrible reboot of the series.

Bladerunner 2049 - One of the best movies of the last decade. The visual and sound design of this movie is simply amazing.

Men in Black: International - Pretty bad. The original with Will Smith was much better.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum - Entertaining but more of the same,... shooting, killing, shooting...

Alita: Battle Angel - Heavy CGI based film. It was so so but I wonder if they will continue the story?

Brightburn - An interesting "anti-superman" story.

Spider-Man: Far from Home - I thought it was actually ok. More of the same big superhero franchise but entertaining nonetheless.

Rocketman - Slightly disappointed with this one. An Elton John biopic.

Searching - Good psychological thriller. Really kept me on the edge of my seat. I would recommend a watch.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Somewhat disappointing superhero movie.

Avengers: Endgame - The "big finale",... kind of. If you been watching the series, it's kind of a must-see.

Yesterday - Good Danny Boyle film about an alternative universe where the Beatles never existed.

Die Hard (1988) [8905-85] - Classic Christmas movie. Highly recommended.

Love Actually - Another Holiday must watch. Great cast. If you have never seen this movie I highly recommend it.

Posted: 17 Dec 2019, 07:18 

Video Quality:
How did it compare at its launch: up to 5 points
How did it compare at its retirement: up to 5 points

Audio Quality:
How did it compare at its launch: up to 5 points
How did it compare at its retirement: up to 5 points

Content:
Number of titles: up to 5 points
Market penetration: up to 5 points

Packaging:
Package Sturdiness: up to 3 points
Package on Standard releases: up to 3 points
Packaging on Box Sets, Limited and Special Editions: up to 4 points

Laserdiscs:

Video Quality: 9/10
It saturated the existing display technology of the time. It didn’t require a new breed of higher resolution displays but LD had video information for every megahertz bandwidth for your TV. Kept itself well up to date with introduction or letterboxed releases and Squeezed (Anamorphic) releases although only a handful were released.

Audio Quality: 10/10
It had digital audio before any digital music disc format. Analog tracks are still comparable to today’s standards. Kept itself well up to date with additions of AC-3, DTS and Dolby Surround EX. It could potentially have up to 4 separate audio language tracks. It’s audio potential was well realized and utilized for the most part with vast number of AC-3 releases and commentary tracks.

Content: 5/10
LD had a massive library of content but very poor market penetration.

Packaging: 8/10
jackets are easy to damage. They don’t age well unless kept in museum conditions. Also not entirely clear they protect the discs from rot and handling damage. They are visually stunning and most pleasing. Perhaps the only format you may want to collect even if you don’t care to watch the content.

Total: 32/40

D-Theater:

Excellent video. Easily watchable today even on 8K TVs. There was nothing remotely close to its video quality during its entire run.(although very short).

Audio Quality: 9/10
Covered all of the major audio formats of its time. Although it could technically support it, there were never any commentary tracks or multi language titles (loses 1 point for this)

Content: 4/10
Very small selection of about 90 films but quality releases. Later formats HD-DVD and Blu-ray had way more than 90 titles released on their release year.

Packaging: 6/10
Very sturdy packaging, nice choice of theatrical posters on the cover arts for almost all releases. Literally zero box sets, special and limited edition packaging.

Total: 28/40

DVD:

Video Quality: 7/10
Only slightly better picture than LDs and significantly behind of later newer formats. Nevertheless digital video was considered remarkable and a technical achievement on the release.

Audio Quality: 6/10
It supported all audio formats of the time on release but significantly behind of later newer formats. Although it could technically have 5.1 in PCM but this was rarely utilized if ever.

Content: 10/10
Largest content library and the largest market share only rivaled by VHS.

Although it scored the same as LD, points came from Sturdiness and Collector’s edition box sets.

Total: 31/40

Blu-ray:

Its pixel count saturated all existing TVs. You have a 1080p TV? You have 1080 progressive pixels on this disc to cover them all.

Supports every single audio format out there.

Content: 7/10
It has a very large library and keeps growing. Market penetration is still behind DVDs after well over 10 years.

Same as DVDs

Total: 34/40

4K UltraHD Blu-ray:

Video Quality: 10/10
First format you had to buy a new generation TV to be able to watch it.

Same as Blu-rays

Content: 5/10
Excellent choice of films and very good number of releases in only 3 years. Market share is likely shrinking or remains the same at best.

Same as DVDs. Some excellent limited edition sets (Don’t look now, Terminator 2 endoarm)

Total: 33/40

Hi-Vision Laserdisc:

Video Quality: 10/10
You had to buy a new generation TV to be able to watch these. Well ahead of its time.

Audio Quality: 8/10
Could technically have DTS and Ac-3 on the later releases.

Content: 3/10
Excellent choice of titles for a very small selection of 31 films. Other formats had hundreds of releases in their early few years compared to only 31 in 5 years for Hi-Vision LD. Market share literally zero point zero zero zero one.

Packaging: 9/10
Excellent packaging with the exception of Jumanji which came in a standard LD jacket. Very sturdy and protective digibook packaging on almost all titles. These were literally all special/limited edition releases but no crazy collector’s edition release with props and memorabilia.

Total: 30/40

VCD:

Video Quality: 1/10
Terrible video for any time.

Audio Quality: 1/10
Terrible audio period.

Virtually every film and much larger world wide market share than any other format.

Packaging: 5/5
Very protective but least interesting packaging. There might be some interesting box sets out there.

Total: 17/40

HD-DVD:

Same as Blu-ray.

Audio Quality: 9/10
Same as Blu-ray except more release opted for lossy Dolby Digital Plus instead of lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA. Probably because of lesser storage capacity (30GB vs 50GB for BD) otherwise supported all audio formats

Content: 8/10
More impressive titles were coming out on HD-DVD and had more Collector’s edition sets (Forbidden Planet, Harry Potter Set). Very impressive (about) 400 titles in only 3 years. Initially it was outselling Blu-ray too until very last few months. Lost major studio support and suffered a very quick unexpected death.

Same as DVDs

Total: 34/40

VHS:

Video Quality: 5/10
it was half of the available TV resolution on its release and fell miserably behind towards the end. 5 /10 is more than fair.

Audio Quality: 6/10
Excellent audio for starters but well behind competition after only a few years.

Anyone to argue this?

Later plastic boxes are super sturdy but most had paper cases. Can have a very lovely art work and collectable visual for many. Super fancy collectors set with prop/memorabilia were perhaps realized well after it lost its dominance.

Total: 29/40

HD-VMD:

Video Quality: 8/10
Same resolution as Blu-rays and HD-DVDs but much lower bitrates. It was marketed a cheaper alternative to Blu-rays and HD-DVDs while the format war was going on.

Audio Quality: 2/10
It is not clear if the format had the rights to use other codecs but all releases seem to have lossy Dolby Digital 2.0 audio. This only best VCD.

Content: 2/10
Nearly no films and no one has even heard of the format.

Packaging: 5/10
Same as Blu-rays. No known special editions.

Total: 17/40

Ranking:
Blu-ray: 34
HD-DVD: 34
4K UltraHD Blu-ray: 33
Laserdiscs: 32
DVD: 31
Hi-Vision Laserdisc: 30
VHS: 29
D-Theater: 28
HD-VMD: 17
VCD: 17

Posted: 24 Dec 2019, 22:28 

Hello all! New guy here.

Love "The Mission". Amazing film and the soundtrack is beautiful. A classic for sure.

The last couple laserdiscs I've watched these past few days are "The Last of the Mohicans", "Field of Dreams" and "Dragon Slayer".

I'm hoping I'll be able to see "Legend", "A Room with a View" and "Dances with Wolves" later this week before the end of the year.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Post subject: Hello friends!
Posted: 26 Dec 2019, 02:27 

Hi everyone,

I'm new to laserdisc collecting. I did have a friend who owned laserdiscs and a great laserdisc player since the early 90s. So I already knew how awesome they are from back then.

I recently purchased my first player and I've started my small collection with a few movies to start. I'll list them below in no particular order.

Shadowlands
Dances with Wolves
Blade Runner
Legend
Manhattan
The Year of Living Dangerously
The Player
T2 Judgement Day
Dragonslayer
Field of Dreams
A Room with a View
Legends of the Fall

I look forward to reading tons of topics here over the years and hope to get to know you all! Thanks for having me.

Posted: 28 Dec 2019, 07:00 

First shop to ever make it to GOLD level (2,000+)!

Feedbacks for: laserblazer
https://www.lddb.com/feedbacks.php?user=laserblazer

Congratulations!

Julien

Post subject: HACK ATTEMPT on LDDb.com
Posted: 02 Jan 2020, 05:08 

Thanks to blam1 for pointing out that the Global Shop sub-categories was sending back " Wrong country code, sorry "

The country code itself (ALL) was correct, it's what came after that wasn't!

Ex: %20%27-6863%20union%20all%20select%201,CONCAT(0x3a6f79753a,IFnull(CAST(COUNT(*)%20AS%20CHAR),0x20),0x3a70687a3a)%20FROM%20lddb_search._search_2008#&cat=video&key=3

Google for the first CONCAT Hex code and you'll see that quite many websites have also been infected:

https://www.google.com/search?q=0x3a6f79753a

It's not the database, admin account hasn't been compromised but somehow they found a way to poison/compromise the memcached data .

I invalidated all data to start from fresh again, but will monitor if they ever try again.

Julien

Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
Posted: 04 Jan 2020, 13:49 

jakeheke wrote:
Storm of Steel,
Ernst Jünger,
Autobiography, German Soldier about a man who loved war.
Reccomend to all so far

Storm of Steel, Best one :D

Posted: 08 Jan 2020, 09:25 

I'll assume this is the fulla with the metal health issues that wrote that bizarre poem mentioning me?
See the snapping of the Jake,
I think he's angry at the johnny cake.

He finds it hard to see the fish,
Overshadowed by the smooth wish.

Who is that squeaking near the cheese?
I think she'd like to eat the cantonese.

She is but a pale Media,
Admired as she sits upon an expedia.

Her kind car is just a biscuit,
It needs no gas, it runs on brisket.

She's not alone she brings a cigar,
a pet Puma, and lots of railcar.

The Puma likes to chase a zombie,
Especially one that's in the thrombi.

The Jake shudders at the lying chalk
He want to leave but she wants the bokeh.

You're welcome :lol:

Posted: 12 Jan 2020, 08:49 

Finally got around to watching the "What we do in the Shadows" TV series, very enjoyable, and I gotta say the characters might be better than the ones in the original movie (who all make a cameo in episode 7 of the series).

Excited for season 2.

Posted: 13 Jan 2020, 17:54 

Finally watched home alone 2 and back to the future with spdif digital audio. Very nice. Now i need to find a wide screen disc of back to the future 3 to complete my collection of that series and i'll be happy.

Posted: 14 Jan 2020, 08:58 

jakeheke wrote:
Appears to be only a handful then, cheers team

I picked up a copy of Schindler's List because of this thread, I think you owe me about $12.50 :lol:

Posted: 07 Feb 2020, 08:37 

I think this explains it better if you haven't read it already.
https://www.lddb.com/help_ratio.php

Posted: 07 Mar 2020, 08:37 

Grabbed a new switch game, Murder by Numbers.

Had this nice bit of dialogue when I showed a suspect a VHS.

Posted: 31 Mar 2020, 09:08 

Good to hear you're happy with it so far, enjoy! :thumbup:

Posted: 01 Apr 2020, 11:14 

Been raining all day here in lockdown so...

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition (1991) (Uncut) [PSE82997-6WS]

I spent the afternoon with while have a few cheeky rum and cokes.
Picture quality i thought was spectacular for LD, really surprised me to be honest.
Movie is still a good in my eyes even today.

Went through all the supplement discs, holy moly a lot of effort not only went in to the film itself but im sure it took awhile to do all the frame-by-frame photos,text etc in the supplements.

Hi jakeheke,

T2 - the transfer on that set really is 1st class & the extras are the cherry on the top with the Guns n Roses bit that is not on the later DVD issues.

A lovely set all round.

Been spinning a few LDs also just now & got a few more on the watch list.

Cheers

Posted: 11 Apr 2020, 07:46 

sorry

See other articles in the future

The participants here are very good
Page 1 of 6 [ Search found 138 matches ]