It is currently 02 Apr 2020, 07:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 6 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Not working MSC4000
Posted: 06 Aug 2019, 21:36 

A quick update on the Sony. I decided to keep the decoder and contacted a local reputable repairer that I had used previously for a DVD player repair. I dropped the MSC 4000 with him a couple of weeks ago admittedly with not very high hopes of a successful outcome. Anyway I received a message the other day to say the problem had been traced and a repair was possible for what I thought was a really decent sum (£40/€45) for which I gave the go ahead. Julien you were spot on, the Sony has now been fully recapped plus a dry joint corrected and is now working beautifully in my set up, I can now join the ranks of the Hi-Vision Club :D

Post subject: Re: Best quality Laserdiscs
Posted: 06 Sep 2019, 15:17 

Here's another thumbs up for a PAL LD release. I recently viewed the Pioneer LDCE UK release of Cliffhanger (PLFEB 31991) and was genuinely impressed by the picture quality on offer, solid colours and excellent overall clarity (quite amazing on close ups) the only criticism being what appears to be occasional aliasing artifacts, whilst sound quality was equally top draw stuff with some of the best rear effects and sound steering that I've ever heard, in fact very close to DD 5.1 at times but with all the benefits of the superior PCM audio. It would be interesting to compare the other European releases of this movie as I note that the French and German discs were manufactured by DADC Austria, whereas the Italian and British versions are made in Japan by Pioneer, anyone out there own/seen these other EU issues?

Finally a quick screenshot of the movie, it obviously doesn't do proper justice but does give an indication of the quality. Source Pioneer CLD-925, Display Sony VPL VW 500ES 4K Projector.

Posted: 31 Oct 2019, 12:46 

I owned an R7G for several years until selling it earlier this year for around £/€600, it was a mint example both cosmetically & mechanically. It's a super machine with the most advanced 3D comb filter ever fitted to any Pioneer player (X0 & X9 inc.) and when using its s-video out the image quality was very close to my HLD-X9 on well mastered LDs e.g. The Fifth Element, Star Wars Trilogy etc. although the performance gap perhaps widened a little when running discs with poorer quality transfers. The big downside with this player though is that unlike most other machines it's performance when switching to the composite output is a huge disappointment; in my system the image appeared very soft indeed, infact the CLD-925 produces a far better result especially via the Lumagen 2144 processor. In my humble opinion I wouldn't advise the R7G as a particularly good choice and especially as your display isn't fitted with an s-video input unless of course there is an option of a fully wired euro connector? Finally I thought R7G image did tend towards the digital look which is no surprise for such a late player, perhaps you should be looking to obtain something on the lines of a CLD-97 or similar for that smoother more analogue kind of image you mention is your preference?

Posted: 31 Dec 2019, 18:29 

You beat me to it rein-o, pretty much what I would have guessed too. Having dealt with this seller/repairer I personally couldn't fault his service which is very meticulous in every way, also I'd wager people as knowledgeable as this guy will be pretty thin on the ground now around these parts of Europe tbh.

Posted: 01 Jan 2020, 02:48 

Yeah, I could totally see something like the person replacing a laser and then it going in a week as its pulled from
another player and he can't warranty the work but then having to refund and hes out time money and parts.

Its just too hard to do this type of thing anymore.
I was on the repair end of getting an older toy fixed about 20+ years ago and the guy who did the work was great but
didn't have a store or anything, just did it as a hobby and it was a different time then.

We'll we've hit 2020 this side of the Atlantic now so your post rings even truer as the years roll by!

Oh and may I also wish you a happy and healthy New Year when it shortly arrives in the USA too :thumbup:

Posted: 31 Mar 2020, 09:08 

Good to hear you're happy with it so far, enjoy! :thumbup:
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 6 matches ]