It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 188 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Which player to choose?
Posted: 09 Aug 2020, 08:24 

Never in a million years would I have dreamed of pointing that out Jake! ;)

Posted: 10 Aug 2020, 23:35 

Was sat outside in the garden this evening as it's way too warm again to be indoors and not so long ago heard a really deep sounding boom in the far distance. Put this down to a lively thunderstorm somewhere but now we have the real explanation....teddansons Yamaha soundbar working its heart out somewhere deep in Southern Ireland - apparently this was also reported to be heard/felt in several other European cities including Paris, London, Amsterdam etc. ;)

Glad you rate it Ted, really sorry about your injuries though! :lol: :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Which player to choose?
Posted: 11 Aug 2020, 12:29 

>elahrairrah: if I understood well, scart 20 pins or composite yellow S-Video is the same, only the form change?
Is the solo yellow S-Video also the same than the yellow combined with white/red (video + audio)?

As I notified, not every Pioneer does have that cubic add-on on the back. CLD-R7G is only 40 cm depth (including its cubic add-on, but a smaller one) so this model should fit to my shelf I guess. CLD-3030 looks also great and no cubic add-on on its back, but I don't know its depth yet.
Btw, I also found some Sony with 40cm depth. Does Sony have an equivalent image quality than Pioneer?

p.s. my whole wall is covered up (weight and height) with an USM 35cm depth shelf which costed my about 12'000$ so I don't want to modify its depth, too much work and too much money to make it fit the player, that's why I need to make the player fit the shelf.

I'm only adding to the sound advice from the others above but if you can source a nice CLD R7G then look no further you won't be disappointed, lovely player and it's fitted with the best comb filter (arguably) in the business but you really have to use its s-video out to appreciate how good it is - forget composite as you'll miss out on what it can really do if you have to connect that way. No regular LD Sony will come close to this in image terms and as elahrairrah advises reliability does seem to be a problem with these so you have been warned! ;)

The are a few R7G about that have been modified for our 220-240v (EU) mains supply so no step down transformer required, infact a reputable seller in the UK had one on ebay only a few weeks ago, that would have been a good solution for you....anyway good luck with whatever you go with in the end!

Posted: 11 Aug 2020, 12:40 

Sometimes i do the same to feel again like in the 90s; yesterday i watched the analog broadcast of "Robocop III"
recorded on VHS and i watched too all the commercials between movie pauses...ahhhh...good old days

Indeed! Now I too feel an urge to dig out some of my old early 90s recorded from broadcast VHS & S-VHS tapes for a quick fix, have to admit I've not run them in years although They are mostly from BBC broadcasts so no commercials included, sadly I used to mainly edit out the commercials from the independent UK channels....a bad move in retrospect I think!

Posted: 13 Aug 2020, 23:48 

Sometimes i do the same to feel again like in the 90s; yesterday i watched the analog broadcast of "Robocop III"
recorded on VHS and i watched too all the commercials between movie pauses...ahhhh...good old days

Indeed! Now I too feel an urge to dig out some of my old early 90s recorded from broadcast VHS & S-VHS tapes for a quick fix, have to admit I've not run them in years although They are mostly from BBC broadcasts so no commercials included, sadly I used to mainly edit out the commercials from the independent UK channels....a bad move in retrospect I think!

Yes, I also did some recordings on S-VHS about twenty years ago. I played some of these tapes this year and they still look beautiful. The funny thing is you can even read
the teletext. It is not perfect but you can see the time and date and switch to the main page 100 to see today's news. I love S-VHS. It was an awesome format to record
analogue broadcasts to. My player also had a function called S-VHS ET. You could record a S-VHS signal to a standard VHS tape. Yes, resolution was better but it was also
grainier than a standard VHS recording and also depended on the quality of the VHS I used. The best tape for this purpose by far ! was the Maxell Black tape.
I am also quite satisfied with the quality of my VHS recordings. I already threw out most of my VHS recordings but I still keep the more interesting
recordings of rare films and documentaries and other stuff ( music, etc. ).

Thanks for jogging my memory regarding the teletext capability with S-VHS tapes confederate, I'd honestly forgotten all about that over time. I seem to recall now that even standard VHS recordings from broadcast could also capture the teletext signal to a degree although nowhere near as faithfully as the hi band version did, I've not had a chance to play back any of my tapes just yet and I'm sure I recorded from broadcast several live concerts to S-VHS through the period 1992-1997 (ish), will be interesting to see/hear those after all these years - so it seems VHS playback capability still lingers on in Germany, England & France for some of us at least, judging by these posts ;)

Posted: 21 Aug 2020, 08:56 

My first player too Julien, and likewise I held on for a 2nd gen player before diving into the DVD format. It's been packed in its box for must be 15 years now so not seen the light of day for all that time. It partnered a CLD-2950 back then and was eventually replaced by a DV-989avi.

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 09:01 

Tony, excellent stuff and many thanks for taking the trouble to put these up. I was especially interested in seeing the squeezed/anamorphic shots and definitely not disappointed with what I see, I have the Muse/Hi-Vision Okinawa Underwater disc and that one looks quite stunning on the 110" 16:9 screen plus the EFM audio track sounds wonderfully transparent and detailed also.

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 09:28 

I have a 230v (EU version) Sony MOD RF1 which apart from cosmetic differences on the front appears as though it could be the same unit as the Yamaha, I purchased it new here in the UK back in the late 90s. If of any use I could open this one up to photograph ?

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 15:34 

Sony MOD-RF1 with casing removed.

https://i.postimg.cc/mzzJ3Gb6/IMG-6384.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/PCFwyw7M/IMG-6383.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/FfdJBK5X/IMG-6384.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/2VGvqJFM/IMG-6385.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/JshXjqpn/IMG-6386.jpg

Posted: 10 Sep 2020, 07:54 

Well done you getting the shipping costs reduced je280! I would have made a move towards purchasing had it not been for that €24 postage.

I too like rein-o and yourself am rather intrigued by this disc let's just hope its main feature isn't a PDO UK speciality snowstorm accompanied by garbled audio :lol: ;)

Posted: 15 Sep 2020, 08:00 

Spun,
Lost World, The: Jurassic Park (1997) [43310]

Thats a fantastic AC3 mix to my Earholes :)

Absolutely agree. The optional PCM soundtrack is probably just as impressive too, in fact superior in many ways but I suppose at the end of the day it's down to personal preferences and maybe the actual system it's played on which determines which to choose?

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 02 Oct 2020, 10:32 

All the main functions should work, although I'm not sure that it has the necessary buttons to access the comb filter/ noise reduction adjustment etc. menus. My 925 remote which I think is similar operated the R7G basic functions no problem at all.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Laserdiscs
Posted: 04 Oct 2020, 12:07 

I've used this for the past 20 or more years, it's perhaps a bit pricey these days but it certainly does the job at least for me. It's available from Russ Andrews Accessories in the UK....btw welcome to the forum :thumbup: and I really do think you should pick yourself a new name ;)

https://i.postimg.cc/pm7CHzn9/IMG-6429.jpg

Post subject: Re: My new LD player!
Posted: 07 Oct 2020, 11:16 

:lol: Well it looks cosmetically very clean and tidy to my eyes and if it performs like an R7G should then I reckon (as the saying goes....luck of the Irish & all...) you could have landed yourself a real bargain there Ted. Mind you after having spent 12 weeks on the high seas traveling between Japan and Europe the front panel and casing might just have a more rust than gold type of finish to it? :lol: ;)

Post subject: Re: My new LD player!
Posted: 07 Oct 2020, 15:43 

Thanks folks. The R7G has been on my radar for a good while. I think it feels (to me at least) like a good compromise to the otherwise next logical step of an HLD-X9 but far more affordable and will also fit in my AV cabinet!

I'll be running this solely over S-Video to the VP50 Pro. Also the colour scheme will match my APD-2 now. :lol:

I'll likely retire the CLD-D925 after watching and digitising my small collection of PAL discs and keep it safely stored for rainy days. You guys here seem to have a good opinion of the R7G, I hope I will too!

Absolutely sound advice from rein-o there but I think you already got the message about s-video? I believe the comb filter in the R7G is actually a tad more advanced than that fitted to the X0/X9 or any other player bar one (one of the DVL models?) so it's really the perfect choice for use with the VP50. If you've a copy of say The Fifth Element in your possession then the first time you spin that up on your R7G I reckon you'll be blown away by the picture quality! Enjoy :thumbup:

Posted: 12 Oct 2020, 10:44 

Hope all is well when you open them Ted, bet they weigh a tonne!

Post subject: Re: DADC USA Rot Plot
Posted: 21 Oct 2020, 18:45 

Indeed. If DADC USA was pressing discs in a non-cleanroom, then PDO UK was pressing discs in the parking lot. :lol:

Even their CDs were complete garbage. And I am unaware of any other plant in the world producing such faulty CDs.

I can live with a few speckles here and there as long as the sound is fine but I have seen many PDO UK discs with distorted Audio.

Makes me really proud to be British (NOT!) just like Brexit :evil:

Posted: 22 Oct 2020, 17:11 

Well I've recently re-acquainted myself with the 2950 (have acquired a extensively refurbished and re-calibrated specimen) after nearly 20 years, this was the first LD player I owned from new but I replaced it with a 925 in the early 2000s. I had a big shock when I compared it recently to my 925s as the PQ is far superior to at least my eyes, especially in terms of the 2950s much reduced chroma noise. It delivers a much smoother yet equally as detailed image as the 925 and with film based material it really does produce a very filmic image. An example on video is Pink Floyd Pulse, the chroma noise at times on this disc can be quite distracting (the DVD isn't much better either) when spun on a 925, switch to the 2950 and it's virtually non-existent! this is with the HQ Circuit switched out which btw is a lot less severe than the one fitted to the 925 which totally impares the PQ although I'd never advocate using either tbh. I won't go into the audio performance for now but let's just say that once again the 2950 takes the crown here too!

Anyway the only reason I purchased this 2950 is that I still own a significant sized PAL LD collection all my NTSC discs are handled by an X9 and previously an R7G but I recently decided to make a back to back NTSC comparison 2950 v X9; the thing is there was just no need to do so really for as soon as the 2950 spun up and displayed an image it was a total disappointment, what is actually a fine PAL machine doesn't even equate to average where NTSC playback is concerned - the 925 is perhaps a tad better here but not by much so really if it's high quality NTSC only playback you require non of these machines are going to deliver for you sadly. Then again if your 2950 is looking noisy on PAL playback it really sounds as though it's underperforming. If I were you I'd start looking for a nice CLD-R7G, using its S-video out I'd guarantee the PQ will put a big smile on your face once you've set the comb filter and other NR adjustments to your own personal taste :thumbup:

Posted: 26 Oct 2020, 18:27 

Oh...that's not good! So they're expecting you to pay further postage charges with no chance of reimbursement of the original shipping costs? If so I'm in total agreement with your stance as you've paid the full amount in good faith for their advertised services and it should be up to them to honour their side of the deal regardless. I've yet to use a Japanese proxy service and your experience has now made me rather wary of ever doing so, I really hope matters do work out in your eventual favour and please keep us informed of how things turn out for you.

Posted: 30 Oct 2020, 10:32 

Yes, please keep us updated Ted. And I think it must be obvious by now that I'm of the same mind as zeta & je280 when it comes to your LD reviews :thumbup:

Posted: 05 Nov 2020, 15:09 

I was wrong! I checked and mine does have an insert with lyrics to the song. There is another insert, boring, showing other then-current releases. This is Snowman, The (1982) [50LS-4011] I’m talking about. I don’t have an obi, I didn’t get it new.

You just beat me to it! I've got the same release as you and likewise for my copy also.

Posted: 06 Nov 2020, 13:01 

Thanks, how would I go about getting it into test mode if necessary?
It is covered in the service manual here: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-97/

Sounds like the lens is hitting the disc because the focus servo is way off, but Kurtis would definitely know more than me. I would not continue trying to operate it and send this for repair. I have heard there is someone in UK that will still take repairs.

Really? Yeah if there was someone in the UK that could repair it I'd much rather go down that route, as I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing.

So if there is and someone knows who, please let me know!

Just sent you a PM :thumbup:

Posted: 10 Nov 2020, 19:22 

In 2020 though it really doesn't matter if you are using a modern display. You want to get the least processed composite signal out of the player and pipe it through modern circuitry.

Wait so are you saying composite converted to HDMI will look better than an S-Video signal converted to HDMI, because there is one less signal processor?

Right now i have S-Video upscaled to 1080p through an HDMI converter box and it looks pretty good, but can lag/jitter occasionally which i only seem to notice during the credits.

No, if I'm not mistaken I think cplusplus is meaning send the signal straight from the LD player using its composite out to your modern (say OLED)TVs composite input then let its far superior in most cases comb filter do the processing.

Post subject: Re: Lumagen XS-3D scaler
Posted: 11 Nov 2020, 15:18 

Comb filter on CLD-R7G is always enabled ON if player is connected through S-video?

I was browsing Lumagen website, there is no product info on what combfilter is on the XS-3D?
It only says:
Supports complete processing of 2D or 3D sources

Yes, but you need to adjust for your monitor, projector TV etc.

If you use the composite yellow video you won't have the built in comb filter.

you mean I should access menu on the R7G or the TV and adjust what settings?

I have my R7G hooked up through S-video

If you haven't tried already you can certainly experiment with the adjustments that are available in the R7Gs onscreen menu. From memory you can adjust the comb filtering strength, plus there's digital noise reduction for both chrominance and luminance and I think sharpness I seem to recall the default settings are midway for most of these. You could begin by setting all to the off position then whilst viewing some material you know well start to increase the comb filter strength to see its effect - you'll probably end up with it at midway or just above, then adjust the chroma setting if noise bothers you to the position that suits you best followed by luminance which I would prefer to leave off and likewise the sharpness control. Just bear in mind though when you save these settings to any memory they will all be lost should you completely power off your player and they will default to the factory settings so it's best to make a note of them just in case!
Page 2 of 8 [ Search found 188 matches ]