It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 188 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Is Pioneer done in HT
Posted: 01 Dec 2021, 15:54 

Yes, all inquiries for recent gears go to Pioneer but everything "vintage" (as in 10+ years) goes to Onkyo with very limited support.

Oh well... even 10+ years Onkyo/Integra goes to ... we don't support that type of hardware anymore .

Home Theater is kind of dead now.
People go mostly streaming + sound bar.

This is the MP3 age of video.

Julien

What sad times we now live in! :thumbdown:

Posted: 02 Dec 2021, 11:01 

Nice LD, wouldn’t mind that one myself although I doubt I’d pay anywhere close to even the bargain price you got yours for tbh.
Chances are the damage to your package weren’t caused by someone being malicious but more likely by the sorting machinery in the processing centre(s) it has passed through which are virtually all mechanised nowadays.

Hope your grandma makes a good recovery in time for Christmas, can appreciate it can’t be a very pleasant experience being hospitalised in these times, actually my mum spent several weeks in a hospital bed a year back recovering from a cancer related operation and unable to take any visitors whatsoever so can appreciate what you and your family must be going through also!

Posted: 09 Dec 2021, 18:40 

to my Pioneer CLD-900s I do not know what happens that the audio hears bad. rl perfect video, but the audio sounds bad. Any recommendation?

Its a very early player and the onboard dac(s) are going to sound rather harsh compared to more modern LD players, if there are no digital out options to enable an off board dac to be used then there is not much more that can be done to improve the audio quality sadly although bearing in mind its age its possible some components could have gone bad? Regardless, I’d move it on and get the CLD- D925 you mentioned up thread, I promise you’ll soon find the sound quality that player produces is in a totally different league.

Posted: 10 Dec 2021, 00:33 

Could it be cleaning contacts or capacitors?

LaserdiscfanHLD will know more than I do, I have no experence with PAL discs.
Does this happen with all discs?

Cheers rein-o I’m flattered but actually like you I’ve no experience whatsoever with any LD player from this far back (1985?) my first ever new player was a European CLD-2950 (similar to the US CLD-504/704) of 1994 vintage so a world away from the OPs player. I’d bet your suggestion would be a good place to start though.

Posted: 11 Dec 2021, 00:15 

Very sad to learn of his passing. Came to fame here during 1975 with Highfly then in a bigger way during 1976 with the single Music which hit the No. 1 spot in The Netherlands, 3 in UK & 10 in Germany, also several other lesser chart hits were to follow. Worked with Joe Cocker, Alan Parsons, Tina Turner and many other top artists and over the last 35 years he had become associated with Night of the Proms; an annual concert series originating in Belgium on which Music had become something of an anthem over the years. I don’t think he got the true recognition that he deserved, him being first rate songwriter, guitarist and keyboard player, perhaps best described as a musician’s musician.

RIP John Miles

Posted: 11 Dec 2021, 20:40 

I had a handful of 3M titles rot - From the early Digital Sound era. "Dirty Dancing" and "Robocop" if I recall. Pioneer USA from 1982 thru 1984 were hit and miss. Anything from what I call "Technicisc I" was awful - these being "Greystoke", "Bolero", "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", "Tuff Turf", etc. "Technidisc II" is generally pretty good, but not great. These would be titles like "Good Morning, Vietnam" and "Suspect". "Technidisc III" is the bulk of their product from 1991(ish) on. Their stuff is the best Technidisc ever produced. Mitsubishi from Japan had some rot problems - "Star Wars Trilogy", "Beauty and the Beast - WiP". DADC/Sony was terrible at the end. I look at the mint markings - typically anything below LDxx-002700 will be generally pretty good. Between LDxx-002700 and LDxx-03200 it is hit-and-miss. I was finally able to get a good copy of "Two if By Sea". Anything over LDxx-003200 is probably total junk. I have never found really good clean copies of "Starship Troopers", "Air Force One", "Striptease" or "The Devil's Own". I've yet to find a good "Johnny Mnemonic" which is LDVS-002780. I was eventually successful in finding a good "Out to Sea" (LDAC-003587) and "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (LDVS-002881)
In my opinion, even Laserdiscs that were manufactured by DADC USA with mint markings before LDxx-0027000 are terrible. For discs that were manufactured by both DADC USA and DADC Austria, i recommend that you get the DADC Austria pressing because discs manufactured by DADC Austria are much less prone to rot than discs that were manufactured by DADC USA.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky but all my DADC USA LDs sub 2700 seem to be fine but definitely agree with you about the superiority of the DADC Austrian plant. Although lets be honest, nothing can compare with PDO UK for pure garbage surely? It seems Europe was blessed with both one of the best manufacturers and certainly close to the worst in that order :)

Posted: 11 Dec 2021, 21:02 

Thank you for sharing his passing.
Truly did not get the notoriety deserved for such influential contributions over the decades.
Favored by the Muses to be certain !

Condolences to his family and close friends......

A musicians musician ... liked that !

Fare thee well John Miles ... Thank you ...

Absolutely firehorse_44, and its a real shame there’s non of his solo work to be found on the premier video format nor indeed later formats with the sole exception of a 1993 live performance in Germany available on DVD (highly recommended), a copy of which is currently winging its way to me. I think this weekend will see me digging out my dts 5.1 Tina Turner Live in Amsterdam LD followed by Joe Cocker Live in Dortmund PAL LD both of which feature Mr Miles superb Keyboard & Guitar work, to console myself with. :thumbup:

Posted: 23 Dec 2021, 19:38 

teddanson, As usual and like many others here I’ve placed my implicit trust in your judgment :D and purchased movie #3 (Cinema Paradiso) on your above list. The only difference is I managed to bag the 1995 Tartan Video PAL LD previously unseen remastered full lenth widescreen version as opposed to the 4k UHD you possess so would be interesting to see how it stands up; for just under a tenner including shipping I couldn’t resist, running time is nearly 3 hours so don’t know how that compares length wise with the version on the 4k disc? Will feedback on this as soon as I receive and view it :thumbup:

Posted: 31 Dec 2021, 15:23 

This just arrived with today’s post….. the Teddanson influence strikes again! ;)

https://i.postimg.cc/kXWd9qyc/441-CA8-A2-0913-49-E4-8-C29-D5-EC0-B233-D00.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/PJGFFv0k/653D180E-A17B-4067-9E57-BA5DBDCF48EB.jpg

This will be a nice little 3hrs workout for my rather elderly but still nice CLD-2950.

Posted: 04 Jan 2022, 16:05 

rein-o wrote:
PULSE (Restored & Re-Edited)

Love it, spend 50 bucks and still have to own the LD.

Haha yeah! Seriously though I can possibly appreciate the inclusion of some of the bonus footage in the new package, but did the main feature really need to be re-edited?

Posted: 04 Jan 2022, 21:18 

Hi There, welcome to the forums! That Sony CRT projector sounds like a bit of a beast, and as old as it is I’m betting its still capable of giving any of the modern stuff a good run if in good order and correctly calibrated, I also cut my Home Cinema teeth on CRT PJs (after of course moving on from TVs) and have fond memories. Btw, I can imagine that industrial model Pioneer will be the weak link regarding the noisy images and surely it also doesn’t support digital audio? If you could get hold of at least a mid range Pioneer player from the mid 90s in good working order there should be a significant drop in the chroma noise you are currently experiencing,

Cheers :thumbup:

Posted: 06 Jan 2022, 20:28 

I really hope you don’t take this wrong but you did ask; and to my eyes a lot of those captures do look rather soft and lacking in definition to my eyes and especially so considering the small scale of the shots, to be honest the last Austin Powers stills are head and shoulders above most of the others so can I ask your opinion of how they compare to what you see when viewing them directly on your home tv or projector display e.g. sharper, more pop etc. genuine question btw.

Posted: 07 Jan 2022, 16:20 

Sadly it doesn’t appear that I’m able to either view or download any of those clips as Google says no haha! I’ll just have to take your word for it, can’t you send a few screenshots for comparison using your iPhone rather than capturing - can appreciate its not easy but if you go for a scene with little or no motion I’ve usually had an acceptable result. Back to Austin Powers, I’ve read several very positive comments about the LD PQ of that movie over the years so definitely appears to be a great transfer, when I get a chance I’ll post some myself but the only ones I have available atm are from Hi-Vision LD so not really acceptable or fair to post them on this thread.

Post subject: Re: RIP Sidney Potter
Posted: 08 Jan 2022, 23:43 

I saw the topic then moved on, only after you mentioned it did I watch the video.
Great stuff, don't think I've ever seen that show, may have not released it in the states?

Well I’ve got admit I too was guilt of that, only trouble is that this was one of the the most successful comedy series ever made here back by the BBC in the 80s - early 90s and I’ve seen every one back in the day so unlike you guys over there I’ve got no absolutely excuse! :oops:

Posted: 15 Jan 2022, 15:22 

Yes, a most interesting TeD you’ve unearthed there ted :thumbup:

Somehow I don’t think I’ll be rushing to replace my 925 with one of these contraptions just yet though! :)

Posted: 16 Jan 2022, 13:58 

This is the oldest and original piece of gear in my setup, bought new in 1992 for £800 and still running faultlessly to this day (that will probably be the kiss of death now :lol: ) although rarely used tbh, if you can get hold of a nice or refurbished example of this Panasonic NV-FS88 or the next model up FS100 with TBC if that’s important to you? I reckon you’ll have a solid player. Obviously these are PAL only decks although identical NTSC counterparts were available but with different model number.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/fYw84BP

Posted: 17 Jan 2022, 09:54 

Well I have to say its not a shock to me that I had never heard of this in the states.
Watched the first episode or whatever these discs may be and half of the second, if the bar scene is where they tried to pickup the women yes saw that one.
There are some jokes that obviously go over my head as I'm not from the area and the time but also some of the areas remind me so much of older NYC
like down on the lower east side etc, all the hock shops, used stuff on the streets and the likes.

Enjoy it so far, will check into the cut stuff, I didn't care too much, knew there would be cut stuff but I don't have a VCR anymore that I even would care about
owning any tapes or the format for that matter.

Will enjoy the stuff I have and will have more tat for the house, their flat sort of looks like my house :lol:

Ah, so Del Boy lives on in Delaware then! ;) Seriously though I’m thinking when this series originally took off there were lots of TV viewers living in the further flung parts of the UK that also certainly did not get a lot of the rhyming Cockney (or London) slang that is used so often by the brothers Trotter and their associates and I’m thinking that this show more than anything else is responsible for its somewhat more common widespread use nowadays beyond the London area so its really no surprise that viewers from other countries struggle with some of it.

Posted: 11 Feb 2022, 10:32 

From a former R7G owner, my guess would be that it would likely better the Samsungs onboard filter or at the very minimum be the equal to it, as there’s arguably little to choose between the R7Gs filter versus that of the Lumagen Radiance 2144.

Posted: 11 Feb 2022, 18:39 

Yep, I think the zeta has to be the main man for this one, he’s runs a Sony OLED dosen’t he? I’m lead to believe they possess superior comb filters to what most Samsung models do and as far as I’m concerned my LD players are hooked up full time to my ht projector via the Lumagen having never considered bringing one into the house to try out with the Panasonic 40” LED used for general TV viewing, therefore unable to comment about the quality on that one.

Posted: 11 Feb 2022, 20:42 

Nice one! Enjoy :thumbup:

Hell these R7Gs are getting so common that they are starting to surround me - first to the west in Ireland now to the east in The Netherlands, will je280 up in Scotland be getting one next I wonder? ;)

Posted: 15 Feb 2022, 19:58 

A nice CLD-97 would be a great way to go but as you seemed to have learned the hard way from a previous shipping experience (myself also btw!) the risks involved are just too great, I think rein-o offers real sound advice to wait for something suitable to come up more locally unless you were certain the seller/sender knew how to properly pack a player - even then though it only takes one one rough drop in the hands of the wrong person :thumbdown:

You just pipped me there Ted!

Tbh, as excellent as it is I don’t think the R7G is such a good choice for the OP as I doubt the Denon has an s-video input and likewise the Samsung and there’s no chance of one on the Sony PJ either. That only leaves composite so just try running your 7G that way and you’ll see what I’m on about ;)

Posted: 19 Feb 2022, 09:45 

I have to agree with ldfan regarding the DVDO VP50 comb filter; I have previously owned one and it’s absolutely not one of its stronger points I’m afraid, you would have been better looking for a decent DVDO Duo or Edge processor rather than that one tbh (just ask teddanson ;) ) Actually you may have inadvertently done yourself a favour though now as you just rather narrowed your choice of players, and if it were me I would now look no further than an R7G running s-video into the VP50 then hdmi straight to the Sony - I think you will be more than happy with the results once you’ve tweeked the R7Gs various filter & NR settings to your own personal taste.

Posted: 22 Feb 2022, 13:44 

Welcome!

I remember when I purchased the 2950 thinking this is as good as it gets in Europe only to see it superseded a few months later by the newer 925! The dealer never told me a new model was imminent :evil: Anyway at the end of the day both these models have their own particular merits I suppose.

I have a CLD-2950 with 120V power supply and AC-3 RF, but I'm tempted to import a CLD-D925 at some point to see which one I like more for PAL playback. I'd have to find a broken one though to justify the cost.

If I’m honest and was forced to make a choice judging on PAL PQ alone; I think I would take the 925 over the 2950 nowadays but this is only my opinion and when used in conjunction with the Lumagen 2144 and it could be a completely different story with other kit as the 925 with its overall rather more detailed image quality can on certain discs reveal an unacceptably high level of chroma noise for my tastes, something which a 2950 seems to handle/hide? rather more competently.

Did you modify the 2950 to 120v yourself cplusplus?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Re. 2950 vs. 925...they indeed each have their own merits, I find the 925 to be the more modern machine, obviously, being much quicker and also quieter in operation. The 2950 on the other hand has superior picture quality IMO. They're both very good machines.

I am in fact after a copy of A River runs through it, as I've read a lot of positive comments regarding PQ :thumbup:

Let us know your verdict if you get a copy, see you around :thumbup:

Posted: 20 Apr 2022, 20:13 

That's odd for Pioneer.
Indeed! I had looked at CLD-D925 schematics, but didn't notice the switch. It is the first component in the power supply. Likewise on the European DVL-909.

I contemplated just adding in the switch to the 120V one, but it would not fit in the same location. If I get brave or bored in the future, I might try changing the standby behavior.

What is interesting is the CLD-2950 does not have a mechanical switch, so I'm wondering why the change. Could this be due to some sort of new regulation introduced?

I think you could well be close with your assumption regarding new regs cplusplus as the European CE standard (if my memory serves correctly) came in around the mid 90s over here, so approximately somewhere between the end of 2950 production and the launch of the 925. My own 925 definitely has the CE mark on the rear panel but I don’t think my 2950 does but I’ll check later when I get in to my HC room. Btw I take my hat off to you guys with your restoration work on these players, very impressed indeed :thumbup:

Posted: 21 Apr 2022, 19:58 

Interesting. I do not have CE on the back of my CLD-2950, but I saw an image of one with a CE sticker near the power cord. User manuals for both mention which standards they conform to, but I did not see anything specific to standby.

I did, however, find this: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31998Y0116(01)

I’ve just been in to check mine and can confirm definitely no CE logo, but thinking back to my long since departed original 2950 purchased new in 1995 or 96 it did carry the mark, but obviously it was right at the end of the 2950 production run whereas my current player was manufactured in 1994. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the above link to work.
Page 5 of 8 [ Search found 188 matches ]