It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 188 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 24 Feb 2021, 11:30 

Been doing a bit of reading up on these LG models and it does seem that the OP is correct in saying that this port is sadly omitted on the European market versions for some crazy reason?

Can I ask the OP - did you try the other option of 2950 s-video out to your Pioneer avr yet? As wisely advised above please avoid connecting to tv using scart to hdmi converter these are generally just cheap and cheerful tat; if you are serious about getting the best from your LD player (or DVD) you need to be looking at a video processor such as e.g. DVDO Edge which has (for composite video) a top quality comb filter on board, these occasionally come up on eBay but when they do you'll have to move fast as they get snapped up pretty quick - there are several alternatives too but these are much costlier. The only other way as signofzeta suggests is get rid of the LG and replace with Sony or perhaps Panasonic which are still fitted with the required composite input and also have superior c/filter & processing over the LGs (especially so the Sony OLEDs)

Finally I don't wish to over complicate things; but as je280 confirms, the Pioneer CLD-2950 & 925 were the best PAL/NTSC players available to us Europeans but it's worth bearing in mind that as good as these players can look with well mastered PAL discs the PQ performance on NTSC LDs falls well short of what even a mid market US or JPN NTSC only player can produce I'm afraid.

Posted: 28 Feb 2021, 09:39 

It’s hard to say and a bit luck of the draw really. You’ll always find them cheaper on eBay US but when the shipping and import charges are factored in then the price gets a bit silly for anyone purchasing from a European country, they do come up fairly often on this side of the Atlantic but for anything between (very roughly) £120-200(ish) I’m speaking more for an Edge here but the Duo should be quite similar. One of the guys on here recently grabbed himself an Edge and I think he was really happy with it - maybe he’ll see this and chime in! btw did you check the position of the HQ Circuit button yet, just make sure it’s always off as it makes a fair difference to the PQ!
I will have a look. Does it automatically turn on if you turn the player off.

No it shouldn’t do but because there is no status led unlike on the 925 its easy to accidentally toggle the button if fumbling for one of the similar sized adjacent buttons whilst the room is darkened, a quick press will give an onscreen confirmation though.

Forgot to mention, also try toggling the system (PAL/NTSC) button on the front panel while you’re at it!

Posted: 28 Feb 2021, 21:14 

Well it looks like my VSX-930 can only upscale 1080p which explains why I can’t tweak any levels.
Looks like I need a Duo.

Haha...it seems that the laserdisc bug is slowly starting to bite, you do realise that soon you will be past the point of no return if you get a decent processor/scaler and you’ve had a taste of what the format can do given half a chance - next request will be I want a Pioneer CLD-R7G then you will be well and truly hooked :thumbup:

Posted: 03 Mar 2021, 20:35 

Think I would send Edge directly to TV first, but obviously try it both ways then go with whichever looks best to you....

Posted: 08 Mar 2021, 21:35 

Oh no what an absolutely sickener and especially so regarding the Guitar Fantasia LD Ted :thumbdown:

If it’s a very small crack on the outer edge there’s hopefully a decent chance it’s still safe to play, then again if your going to risk it I’m sure it will be initially with the 925....my fingers are crossed for you mate!

Post subject: Re: Yanks (1979) [40123]
Posted: 08 Mar 2021, 22:10 

Is there anything special about this film on LD other than the possibility of being an open matte???

Haven't heard of this film in years and need to see if its streaming just to watch it again.
Must have seen it as a child but can't remember, my parents rented a lot of stuff back in the day and I remember this title now
that you posted it, could have just seen posters too in the rental stores?

The main reason for me is that a good chunk of it was shot in the town where I live and surrounding towns & villages also. Can clearly remember the disruption caused by the film crew during the town centre shoots - can’t believe it was way back in 1979 though as it seems like maybe 20 years ago tops?

Posted: 01 Apr 2021, 13:46 

I can remember back at the time that Pioneer were heavily criticised in the UK AV press reviews on the CLD2850 (the both side play version of the 1850 and what should have been the companies European flagship model) for the deliberate omission of PAL analog audio playback. At the time a company here called Videotec offered a mod for both 1850 & 2850 which restored the capability to these models, when they were eventually superseded by the later and superior 1850 & 2950 players Pioneer seemed to have taken the criticism onboard re: cheaping out on the previous versions and these machines both offered PAL analog playback.

Posted: 18 Apr 2021, 19:30 

Thanks darthmaul26.

Going by the rot reports here it appears that all three US releases of this LD feature have issues, pretty unusual that they all have problems given that they are PIONEER pressings.

Thanks for posting the picture, a good example of the dreaded rot.

cheers :thumbup: . `

It appears luck is on my side regarding this LD then. It was only last week that I played my copy (US 1990 LBX version) and it was as clean as a whistle fortunately :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: CLD-R7G side B skipping
Posted: 21 Apr 2021, 21:16 

I hope others can post, there is a white plastic piece on the top bar? I think that you turn VERY SLIGHTLY to center.

I had this issue with my R7G, you must be playing on side B and turn VERY SMALL AMOUNTS.

This is ONLY if you are 100% sure its centering otherwise you will damage a very good player.

Please make sure and do all repairs at your own risk.

It has been over 8 years since I had to do this and no longer own the player and can't exactly remember where it is but its on the top and you can access it easily.

I don’t know if this helps rein-o but here’s a shot of my R7G with the hood off, maybe if the part is visible here you can point it out to the OP?

https://i.postimg.cc/Yjz4mn5n/498-F1740-BB0-C-4-DD1-9526-3-B12-D9880-A8-F.jpg

Post subject: Re: If it's you. Thanks.
Posted: 07 May 2021, 17:40 

I can't find who it is behind the Reely Interesting channel on Alphabet's video sharing platform. I'm 91.683799924% certain it's someone here but I forget who.

Just wanted to publicly say thank you for the great content you share whoever you are. The 3D VHD of Dead Heat you posted was whopper. I will hook up my PSVR at some point just to watch it!

Yeah he’s definitely on here Ted....

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9786

Posted: 16 May 2021, 17:21 

Just watched a few days ago Wolfen on DVD, what a really bad film, hadn't seen it in years and found the DVD for a buck at the thrift store.

Anyway lots of similarities to Predator, the night vision stuff from the angle of the wolf or predator, also some of the music was very close, I didn't
look it up but I'm sure the same person did the music.

Non other than the late great James Horner credited with the Wolfen movie score; infact one of his first, Alan Silvestri (Back to the Future etc.) takes the credits for Predator apparently.

Post subject: Re: MUSE Hi-Vision discs
Posted: 04 Jun 2021, 20:13 

Which came out first: the pioneer hld-x9 or the x0?

X0 (1995), then X9 (1996).

See: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8845 and https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8847

Julien

Last question, how much did each unit cost when first launched?

I remember reading this somewhere but I can't remember where.

Regarding the HLD-X0 this may help...
https://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_hld-xo/pioneer_hld-xo.htm

Posted: 04 Jun 2021, 22:21 

May be best off checking on Curt Palme. http://www.curtpalme.com/

Haven't been on the site in years but do see they have a forum, if you can't find anybody I'm sure you can figure how to adjust yourself??
Should be fairly easy once you get the understanding down, or at least that's how it looked when I was considering buying a CRT projector.

I have to agree with this; after being taught the basics I was able to maintain my first CRT a Seleco/SIM2 310 to perform quite acceptably with regards to convergence adjustment etc. although great care (and patience) is needed when prodding around under the hood making these adjustments as there are some serious voltages (25k upwards) present in this sort of kit, my second CRT a Seleco SVP400HT was somewhat more advanced with a digital chassis and all necessary adjustments could be made using the service remote with no need to venture under the hood except for perhaps lens adjustment which once set shouldn’t need to be touched again unless the pj has been moved.

Post subject: Re: MUSE Hi-Vision discs
Posted: 06 Jun 2021, 11:36 

That’s nothing. You also need a MUSE decoder and an HDTV which would be that much again, if not more, and of course one needs a full surround theater...this would be for a home theater $40,000-100,000 probably.

When the bubble burst it didn’t burst as violently or at the same time as it did for everyone else. The X-0 was the tail end of Pioneer’s excess but the really insane period for Japanese electronics was probably 77-90. Lots of companies had crazy stuff like this, the tape decks and the turntables usually being the most impressive.

An absolute bargain then zeta, can’t understand why there wasn’t a greater take up of the format back then :wtf:

Post subject: Re: Anamorphic Lens
Posted: 17 Jul 2021, 15:56 

rein-o wrote:
This has an MSRP of $5995.

Brilliant piece of kit without a doubt, but as you say the price…. :wtf:

Posted: 26 Jul 2021, 15:53 

Regarding the graphics issues; I own a similar CLD-2950 and the on-screen graphics on that player do seem to share similar traits to what you describe with your 1950, although the PAL picture quality is generally excellent when projected onto a 90” 4:3 screen via a Sony VW500 4k projector. I also have the later CLD925 which in contrast has razor sharp pure white graphics so perhaps just the norm for the earlier less digitised models? Are you running your Panasonic with any unecessary sharpening and PQ enhancement type modes engaged at all, brightness, colour, contrast settings cranked up a bit too much? May be worth playing around with these see if any improvement can be gained whilst at the same time making a note of the original settings before you begin, good luck :thumbup:

Just a thought, and as rein-o pointed out crosstalk being a cause of the herringbone patterning is there any device or appliance situated close by the 1950 that could possibly be contributing to this or maybe something plugged in that shares the same mains spur or ring - dosen’t cost anything to pull a few plugs out of their sockets just to see if this could be part of the cause?

Posted: 05 Aug 2021, 19:20 

I’m sure you’ll make a pretty sight in that fetching little number Ted :lol:

Posted: 06 Aug 2021, 08:33 

teddanson wrote:

Interesting fact you mention about the sweat collection Ted!

Seriously though, all the best for the upcoming ultramarathon mate :thumbup:

Posted: 21 Aug 2021, 09:14 

Hi there; speaking from the European side I can assure you that there shouldn’t be any problems with Europe spec TVs handling an NTSC signal, at least not decent quality CRT stuff manufactured since the mid 90s from the likes of Sony, Panasonic etc. I had a Panasonic TX-28A2 from new in 1992 and from memory I’m sure that was compatible.

Regarding the audio quality of LD analog audio - its rather similar to though perhaps a tad better than the hi-fi stereo tracks on a VHS/SVHS cassette tape, can be very good when done well but far from what can be achieved by a high-end turntable - PCM digital and 5.1 DTS audio on LD everytime for me!

If I were you starting afresh nowadays then I think I would simply buy the nicest I could afford US or Japanese NTSC only LD player and forget all about PAL disc’s, I still have a fair size collection of these some of which look & sound terrific but I don’t think I’d go out of my way now when 99.9% of the material is available in NTSC format - just my views and others could well disagree.

Posted: 06 Sep 2021, 08:24 

Your results may vary based on your monitor of course. And I found that although my equipment has no S-Video inputs, there’s a noticeable improvement using an S-Video to Composite adaptor.

From personal experience as an ex R7G owner, S-Video is the only way to go, it should look superb on well mastered discs when correctly set up. One of the best features of the 7G is its comb filter and 3D YC should definitely be on and set somewhere around the mid position; I always left all the NR settings at min but personal taste comes into account here as it can be a tad noisy on some material at times, heck this player - and I think the H9? (others will confirm) have arguably close to the best 3D separators available and certainly THE best to be found on any LD player - avoid using composite on this machine at all costs if possible as it looks terrible!

Posted: 14 Sep 2021, 08:28 

Interesting thread you started here @stanley57 :thumbup:

For me perhaps the best way of organising any sort of serious LD gathering would be via this forum; the obvious main problem is that we are maybe just a little too spread out across the planet, hence would be rather difficult to pick a centralised location for all to easily access? Having said that I’d definitely be interested in attending a well organised Laserdisc event and particularly so if it took place in somewhere such as Paris, London, Brussels, Amsterdam etc. all of which are just a few hours away on a high speed train for me. Apologies to you guys in the US (who clearly outnumber the European membership) and the rest of the world for the obvious selfishness in location choice, but seeing as the founder of LDDB hails from France?

What would be your thoughts on this Julien?

Posted: 19 Oct 2021, 08:59 

rein-o wrote:
:crazy: :crazy: Did I get the LD forum of rickrolling????
I didn't even see this topic back in the day and thought it was cool.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

If it helps, you weren’t on your own here rein-o :D

Posted: 27 Oct 2021, 11:20 

I recently got hold of a copy of A River Runs Through It [PILH-1006] This is the best film based Muse LD release I’ve seen to date - greenish tint is totally absent here and overall clarity and sharpness are truly outstanding for the best part with very few compression artifacts noticable. I’m rather confident this disc could give the obviously much later released Blu-ray disc a fair run for its money, even the night time scenes hold up very well but the river and general scenery shots look quite stunning not to mention close ups - a fews pics below simply using iPhone 6s pointing at a 226cm 16:9 screen so not even close to the true image quality but it certainly gives a fair hint….

Will post a few more shots when I get a chance if anyone is interested!
https://postimg.cc/gallery/srTrSjH

https://i.postimg.cc/v8jvS5g2/E2-B3-E4-ED-0-CA9-45-FB-8-EC9-A1-A0034-B6-ABB.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Ss1G4MZs/582-BE542-B498-4670-B7-E3-AE37-C0-F886-E1.jpg

Posted: 11 Nov 2021, 09:50 

Thanks for this rein-o, you’ve suitably whetted my appetite so will now have to check this one out - On LD naturally :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Going Mobile by The Who
Posted: 18 Nov 2021, 09:36 

I think the track should feature on this very late (1999) Japanese market only LD release

The Who: Who's Next (1999) [VALG-1063]
Page 4 of 8 [ Search found 188 matches ]