It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 188 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Lumagen XS-3D scaler
Posted: 13 Nov 2020, 23:34 

Tonight I watched an LD with the new tweaks on my telly.
Previously I had all enhancement features enabled but DNR disabled, picture was soft and I saw clouding smear on the screen.
Tonight watching the LD with all enhancement features disabled, I got a more clean and crispier picture.
The Lumagen XS-3D is a great scaler providing great improvement. :thumbup:

I don't recommend watching LD without a scaler not hooked up to a flatscreen TV, colors and details will look washed out, skin tones would look brownish or orange.
Explosions and fires will look funky showing red hue.
The scaler remedies these problems :thumbup:

If you still use a CRT, this is the best sidekick for your laserdisc player.

It was a real treat watching a laserdisc movie with the Lumagen on flatscreen TV :D

Good to hear you are getting a good result now :thumbup: Although regarding you comment about flatscreen TVs, they are of course not all made equal as if you were to splash out on one of the more recent OLED models from Sony, Panasonic etc. a fantastic image is possible from LD by hooking directly into the TVs composite input without any need of an external processor, and I think you'll find that there are several members on here who will verify that.

Posted: 17 Nov 2020, 14:17 

Hi,

A while back I purchased a Sony MSC 4000 Muse decoder that I acquired very cheaply on eBay which similarly had all front panel leds functioning when powered up but other than that was as dead as a dodo. Your devices date from the exact same era and indeed have a very similar styling and could well be just suffering from some bad capacitors which turned out to be the case with my MSC 4000, I believe Sonys from this period in time were notorious for this problem. I got mine into a local electronics expert and even though he'd never worked on a Muse decoder previously managed nevertheless to bring it back to good health again. I was charged just £40 for the work! Is there not anyone local to you that could perform the same? Good luck!

Hey there! I notice you too own a Pioneer HLD-X9, so I guess that makes us fraternal brothers. ^^

The problem is, I've gone to several of these repairmen. One's a crook, two are incompetent, and the other is admittedly untested, but is so busy, I can't afford to wait on him.

Let's focus on the crook first. He wanted $650 to make it "repairable." In Layman's terms, I would give him $650, he would see if he could actually get it to a watchable state, and if he couldn't, I don't get a penny back. And this is after I put down a $60 deposit for the estimate in the first place, which I don't get back either. Outrageous, isn't it.

Then there's this other guy who estimated it for free, but he kept it in his shop for months with no update. He would never answer the phone, I'd always have to drive across town to find anything out, and eventually, he just told me he couldn't fix it. Thanks for wasting my time. The other incompetent guy at least told me the same day, within a couple of hours that it was out of his scope to fix.

There is one more guy I could have given it to, but I'd rather cut my losses, get rid of these two junkers and buy a fresher unit. I actually did bid on one two weeks ago and won, but because of the high cost, it's pending payment.

https://i.imgur.com/fYUjcKo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8yIj7gm.jpg

Seems legit to me, but you never know. In any case, I wasn't lying when I said I could use the money.

Greetings brother :wave:

Ah right, that's really not a good situation then.....and here's naive me thinking that its only here that the rip-off merchants thrive! I reckon I'm really lucky then to have this repairman who doesn't even charge for estimates be based within 20 miles of me. I just hope for you that this 3rd player is healthy when it arrives, bad caps really do seem to be a common problem more than anything else, if I were you though I'd still be tempted to hold out for this last repair guy in the hope that he can do something positive at a reasonable cost. Hopefully if you do get a buyer on eBay then its problem solved though I'll just add that my broken MSC 4000 didn't attract any interest when I attempted to sell it on even offered for a pittance, hence me eventual taking the repair approach. Hoping it all works out well in the end for you :thumbup:

Posted: 18 Nov 2020, 16:48 

Would have thought that Bluray 2.0 PCM track would still contain the Dolby Surround matrix info, did you try it using Pro-Logic decoding? Happy to be proved wrong though.

Posted: 24 Nov 2020, 23:40 

Nice purchase there Ted, you'll think that R7G has arrived early once your 925 is hooked up to that thing :thumbup:

Posted: 25 Nov 2020, 00:49 

Gave it a quick test this evening with Angel III and it looks superb! Also I ran a test with an analogue only disc, I used my copy of the Imagination concert. The DVDO Edge has absolutely no problem with analogue audio over HDMI. Fantastic!

There's a lot of stuff missing from the VP50 Pro here though..

Another thing, I had the same old EDID issues with picture but no audio. I have Dr. HDMI device hooked up between the Edge and switch/matrix to test if there is a signal and to try different 1080 EDID types that the Vertex 2 has issues with. Set the Dr. HDMI to 1080 FULL HD NO 3D (EDID Preset 2) and I got sound! Must be something to do with the Edge being HDMI 1.3 perhaps?

Connecting direct to the AVR caused no sound too so it was not just the Vertex 2 switch! Handy tool to have. I reported it to HD Fury in the hopes they can fix it. It works for now though so happy days.

I'm really happy for you that it's generally working well. I could happily live without many of the VP50s bells & whistles though in exchange for that top notch comb filter that the Edge possesses, despite the complexity of my setup you'll find that the use of HDMI is kept to an absolute minimum because I just hate it! I use the 7.1 analog outs from my Oppo 105 to the Arcam AVR, far superior to sending the audio via HDMI which is only used for video from Oppo to Lumagen thence to Sony 4K projector.

Posted: 25 Dec 2020, 16:00 

And a Merry Christmas to you Ted, and to all LDDB members around the globe!

The snow has just started to fall bang on cue here in Manchester as I type :thumbup:

Posted: 30 Dec 2020, 15:18 

More tat just in time before Brexit ruins everything.

Yeh....

Hey je280 at least if you get your independence from the UK, Scotland is then free to rejoin the Bloc :thumbup:

Looks like the rest of us here will have to stay on board the sinking ship until they eventually have to crawl back to Brussels and beg to be allowed back in!

I'm English through & through but totally ashamed of my nationality since brexit happened :thumbdown:

Posted: 10 Jan 2021, 18:23 

On the issue of PQ. I've just come from viewing Renaissance Man (Letterboxed) on my 2.5m diagonal 4:3 screen so no need to use zoom or letterbox pj options and the image was incredibly detailed and filmic, indeed arguably close to as good as SD can be expected get and almost 3D like it times, DVD rarely achieves this for me as most of the time compression artefacts are usually visible and I've always found this very distracting and spoiling the big screen experience greatly. DVD looks ok on anything up to about 50" after that the cracks start to become too obvious for me, regarding SQ let's not even go there lol!

Posted: 10 Jan 2021, 23:00 

It appears that here in New Delaware, aka Ireland, our Jeff has decided to deliver tat to clutter your home with even on God's chosen day of rest. I was greeted by a weary young buck late this afternoon as I returned from a rather late (and very dark) 10km run.

The sheer abundance of lumens exiting my Coleman CXS+ 300R head torch shattered his retina's with the precision of a small toffee hammer attached to a Roman candle.

As he staggered back to his Peugeot Bipper he handed me a duty free copy of The New Centurions on Blu Ray.

Great lad. Good work Jeff. I bet you won't deliver stuff to my gaf on Good Friday though! :thumbup:

https://i.postimg.cc/sfpwrSdd/4d63fa20-9285-42a6-833f-eaef7071775c.jpg

Ted your post just cheered me up big style on this dreary January night :lol: :lol: :lol: (Keep em coming) :thumbup:

Posted: 16 Jan 2021, 13:20 

Mr Danson I'm seriously impressed, your willpower must be amazingly strong when considering your ability to resist the temptation to open up that big package! :thumbup:

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 00:02 

thanks!

first question, about the recombined output: I get some players composite output is actually the result of digital processing and then a conversion again to analog...is such signal still improvable via an external comb filter?

I guess my point is, for those players with recombined output, would be necessary to somehow tap the signal before the digital processing and then feed that to the external filter? I like the idea of using the "raw" signal, but is it eventually possible in practical terms? (CLD-3080/95/97 comes to mind)

Cheers!

P.s.

silly question, are the UK/European version of those models called differently?

Hi there,

I don't think I'm mistaken when I say that there is no European equivalent to the above three players (sadly). The best we ever got were the Pioneer CLD-2950 & its successor the CLD-925 both PAL/NTSC models. There were of course a couple of DVL combi players (909/919) that came later but arguably they were slightly inferior in terms of LD performance in comparison.

Post subject: Re: My new LD player!
Posted: 23 Jan 2021, 20:54 

For gods sake don't slip and drop it now after all this! :lol:

Hey Ted, you can legitimately have an avatar pic just like mine now :thumbup:

Posted: 23 Jan 2021, 21:06 

Can you hurry up a bit, I'm on the edge of my bloody seat here!! ;)

Posted: 23 Jan 2021, 22:05 

Jesus Christ that's the most f***ing amazing picture and sound I've ever seen from a Laserdisc.

Speechless. :crazy:

Haha, welcome to the real deal mate! I'm not suggesting you touch anything yet but experiment with the 3D filter strength setting a bit and try backing of the chroma and luminance NR controls and you may find there's more to come yet although just sit back and enjoy the experience for now :thumbup:

Posted: 24 Jan 2021, 10:17 

jakeheke wrote:
Welcome to the Club Ted.
Genuinely pleased it got to you safely in one piece .
Nice bit of kit ;)

Good to see him get an official welcome from the main man! :thumbup:

Posted: 25 Jan 2021, 15:52 

As you say the fun is only just beginning and undoubtedly the pandemic is currently masking even worst things yet to come. Being a staunch remainer and despite my heartbreak at leaving the union I will at least get some satisfaction when I hear the pitiful wailing and whining of those who stupidly voted for this unnecessary nonsense, no doubt bleating out their usual predicable anti-Brussels diatribe! Heck I'm so ashamed to say I'm British these days :thumbdown:

I wonder how long before we are pleading to be allowed back in?

(My apologies, end of rant!)

Posted: 25 Jan 2021, 20:06 

Although we are currently part of the UK here in Scotland we did not want to be dragged out of the EU.

How so many people can now be shafted by a few f##kwits is staggering but it is where we are now.

Already we are getting the "we are stronger together" crap from Westminster re Scottish independence.... did not take long for that to start again.

An ongoing shitfest which will get worse as time goes on.

:(

Indeed! And what an absolute hypocrisy regarding stronger together from Johnson and Co, doesn't that equally apply to Europe just as much?

Posted: 27 Jan 2021, 20:51 

It's great to see you are loving your new player, bet you thought I wish he would change the record when I kept banging on about just how the good 7G actually was Ted? :lol:

I'm sure you made the perfect choice in this machine, although it would be interesting to see how e.g. a CLD-97 would perform in your setup outputting composite to the DVDO Edge; having said that I seriously doubt that would fit in the space occupied by the 7G and the X9 & X0 definitely no go. To be honest I think you'd be hard pressed to see the improvements offered by an X9 over a 7G on displays. Under 60" or so; it was there on my projection setup but even then it seemed to be on less well mastered LDs, run The Fifth Element or similar and they were only a cigarette paper apart the X9 only piped it on audio, perhaps more of a PQ gap with the X0 and maybe the 97 too if you favour a less digital look?

Posted: 31 Jan 2021, 00:05 

It will retain your personal settings if just switched to standby, but annoyingly if powered off fully it loses them and reverts to the factory default settings I'm afraid.

Posted: 02 Feb 2021, 18:20 

You certainly like to rub it in don't you! Anyway very kind of you for allowing me to make do with this version for now ;)

Posted: 03 Feb 2021, 11:49 

:lol: well the house is almost done, was a major mistake but due to covid I think we lucked out now.

3 years in and only now can I do different stuff, need to fix a few more things but that can be done over the next few years.
Had to take care of windows to make it warmer without going broke, I'm a pro window glazer now :sick:

Its a cool sound but not truly my style, also I try to stay away from music LDs as they are more than anime pricewise and its best to
keep one segment of crazy money LD collecting.

So the light is at last visible at the end of the tunnel re your house then; can't be a bad thing too if you're handy at taking on much of the refurb work yourself.

I'm afraid I'm hooked on live concert LDs these days....in fact too far gone to be saved ;)

Most of the dts releases are terrific but there are also some brilliant PCM stereo discs too....hey I'm sure I needn't be having to tell you this rein-o :lol:

Posted: 04 Feb 2021, 09:39 

I'm just in the throes of ripping up yet another of those over 50s funeral plan type letters as I begin to type, it's my birthday next week so there tends to be a flurry of these things around this time of the year. Anyway you just gave the game away when mentioning Concessionary Travel Cards as I have exactly 1 year plus 7 days to wait until I qualify, unless of course it's valid from a different age in Scotland?

There's one thing here for sure though, Teddanson is a mere whippersnapper compared to us!

Posted: 05 Feb 2021, 09:44 

For me it's mostly nostalgic reasons. I never had LD player/discs back in the day, i was many times close getting one but never did. It was just too expensive for me at the time. But now, there's no such limits when you're almost 50. I love the whole works, specially the cover art, the whole process of physical disks (it's just not the same with DVD's or BR's) as there's obiously something similar with vinyl records (sold my collection in early 2000's... sadly). As well, watching LD's doesn't count it out watching other formats or even, streaming, what you want to see. It's just one part of the whole experience - even more collectable.

I had stopped buying pretty much DVD/BR's after we got our first child, as no time as well career things. That's something like 12 years. Yes. Bizarre. I do have atleast 600+ DVD's so it's not like i'd run out anything to watch.

I've had LD player for almost two weeks and i've bought... almost 60 discs. Where all this will end to?

Oh dear, well that's it now and I'm afraid that there is no escape I'm afraid!

Seriously though, welcome....and enjoy this great format :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: [DVL-919] NO Power
Posted: 12 Feb 2021, 09:51 

Sorry to highjack but whats the PQ on these players like?
These DVD/LD players seem to appear very often in New Zealand

Considering that you own a CLD-R7G I would imagine you'd be a little underwhelmed with the LD PQ Jake, the DVD side is no better either and it's PQ was only regarded as average at best by AV mag reviews back in the day.

Can only speak for the European PAL/NTSC versions (with an E on the end) but probably still applicable to the US and JPN variants although I'm guessing NTSC LD PQ could be a tad better on these?

Posted: 23 Feb 2021, 10:33 

Welcome to the forum :thumbup: Just a quick suggestion to add to the other replies above - try connecting directly from the 2950 composite out to the LGs composite input you just may be in for a pleasant surprise regarding PQ, also make sure the the 2950s HQ Circuit is switched off via the front panel button.
Page 3 of 8 [ Search found 188 matches ]