It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 305 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 30 Jun 2019, 09:25 

Hello to everybody,

I just think to open my own topic about laserdiscs, restoration video and so on... I have a not big collection of music on laserdisc, Also I am a researcher in video restoration, digitization and improvement video. I will be happy to connect to people who are interested in it. I will show some of my projects in future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_8MXxdhgSc

Posted: 04 Aug 2019, 08:48 

Based on the pics I found of the two players on-line, it appears that the CLD-2710K is the US equivalent of the CLD-V820 and the CLD-1450 is the US equivalent to the CLD-1070.

So taking that into consideration, the 2710K is a newer design and may have a slightly higher Video S/N ratio than the 1450 but overall it would probably be too close to see a difference with our eyes. In addition, I believe the 2710K is an auto reverse model and the 1450 is definitely a single side player.

In my opinion, I would just stick to your player and forget about getting the 1450 unless the person offering it up is asking very little for it since it can be a decent back-up machine for the future (if its working well that is). And if you really want a machine with better performance, you should be aiming for any of the 3000 or D700 models with digital field memory as these machines always sported the slightly better Video S/N ratio.

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 08 Aug 2019, 18:15 

So does the player by itself play a disc or are you just saying the remote does not work? Wasn’t sure based on your question.

In any case, this Denon player is a Pioneer clone so if you need to load pre-programmed IR codes into your universal remote you simply put in the Pioneer codes.

Update>>>

Just viewed your other posting regarding Song of the South. Your picture of the player and discs shows that you have a Denon remote control for a DVD player so that is why it’s not working.

If you're looking for an equivalent remote to control your Denon machine, the Pioneer, CU-CLD069 remote pictured below will be an exact match for it.

https://i.vgy.me/qxWBvv.jpg

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 07:46 

You can use just about any remote control from Pioneer so long as it's specifically made for a LaserDisc player (don't get a Pioneer remote for a DVD player as the codes are different). You can search ebay for deals all the time.

In addition, there is nothing to program on these remotes as they are already designed to work with your player. All the Denon units made by Pioneer stuck w/ the Pioneer codes.

Lastly, there is a chance you can program a universal remote to control your player if the one you own still has older codes or if you have something like a Logitec that have huge databases of IR codes that you can download.

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 19:15 

Most likely need a new loading belt to fix your issue.

See my post below that shows how to replace the belt.

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5774&start=20

You’ll need to order a Pioneer belt under reference number PEB-1013. Here is one available on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-PEB1013-PEB1127-GEM4-3-SQUARE-BELT-/121431335182

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-D504 Remote
Posted: 17 Aug 2019, 18:25 

The number of front panel buttons on AV equipment started to disappear around the early 1990’s as more emphasis was made on creating menu’s to help navigate the myriad of functionality that kept increasing (in particular on AV Receivers’ and VCRs’; not LD players’).

So the good news is that we never saw menus on LD players (except DVL units due to the DVD functions mainly) but the number of buttons did start to dwindle over time. The players with the most front panel buttons were the CLD-3030, CLD-3070, and possibly the CLD-3080 (mostly in that pop out drawer).

But getting to the point of this topic (sorry for being long winded as I like getting into history too much ;) ) the audio buttons —audio monitor and digital/analog — were the rarities that never had buttons on the front panel at anytime from what I can remember unless we go back to the very early top loaders (which were analog only and thus would only have the audio monitor button).

Posted: 24 Aug 2019, 08:49 

Love the music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=674A-TXotjg

Posted: 24 Aug 2019, 17:21 

What restoration software are you using? I've been using Phoenix Touch with plugins for video restoration for around 1½ year but I mostly use that software for film restoration. Believe that PFClean also offers such tools as well.
I try everything to use that I have. In this case I used PFclean. I will show the final result of the video.
Updated: It is ready - https://vimeo.com/355738086/d58da3b15b

Man, that picture looks so good, it almost looks like it's straight off the master tapes or something.
Thanks man, in reality it looks much better. It is because of youtube compression.

I'd love to see a restored version of the "Here comes the Men in Black" music video.
Give me some time, I think I can help you in it...
Updated: I just found it, fix some color issues and upconvert it for you
https://vimeo.com/355742941/3bd5f18ff5 you can download original file if login.

Posted: 01 Sep 2019, 16:15 

Well that's a bit disappointing, would've been cool if they'd had bloopers or dailies from a movie or something.

Although they're still pretty cool for what they are. And I bet dumb@$$es would still rather pay two grand for 6th Day than give these a second thought. :P

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 00:18 

I think it's more the fact that the face of the fandom has changed. Whatever people call themselves "anime fans" only watch whatever flavor of the month moe harem isekai garbage is the hot property right now. Either that or Dragonball Z or some other shounen that had the grace of actually being shown on Toonami back in the day. Instead, it's people like us who unironically enjoy obscure 70's giant robot anime who get made fun of.

:?

But there is definitely a reason I don't go to any anime specific forums. On here and another forum I go to it's all grumpy middle aged/older guys like myself. We are all jaded, like old s**t and dislike many things about modern anime while being interested in maybe a couple new series each year. In fact on this other forum I recently posted a screenshot from the bar in one of the grumpy old men movies to describe us.

Posted: 14 Sep 2019, 17:45 

Had to google what doxxing is "search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet,"

Anything I posted/reposted was all already publicly available, and the screenshot from FB above has the name blurred out.

Sorry, though don't take it so hard, rein-o gets some grief over prices above too! And $269 is more than I'd pay for that box set, never mind the $350 on it; paid around $30 plus shipping for the three box version. There is definitely some crazy overpricing that goes on in the shops here; just think $ugu$

Posted: 15 Sep 2019, 00:04 

For the record I didn't get them expecting to flip them, I got them with the full intention of putting something them, and when both you guys and reddit informed me it was impossible that's when I decided to sell. I even mentioned how much I was looking for here, and on Reddit before making the Facebook listing.

I also updated both the Wikipedia page and the LDDB pages for the RLV discs, saying I used this site to milk information to make money is complete BS.

EDIT:

8 bucks :think:

I highly doubt you will be trading an even up for Twin Peaks to blanks.

I want to say there was someone here years ago who had them on ebay selling them for around 15 or 20 a blank.
But one has to think if all who wanted them got them???

Good luck on flipping them, did you try facebook ldforever??

It should be noted, this is why I even made the post on the facebook group, as you recommended me trying to sell them there.

Hey, you know what they say. Fools and their money are easily parted, and if he can find the right fool...
I mentioned three pages ago that I wanted to trade these for some Twin Peaks LD's, and you're the one who told me that they were likely worth far more than that set, which is currently going for $269 on LDDB.

What an enormous a*****e. f**k that guy.

EDIT: I have to now admit Rein-O saw this before I did. Somehow my flipper alarm didn’t go off but his did. I need to get a check up...
So am I not allowed to sell something that I no longer want, now knowing that I can't use them? Even if they're just blank discs they're still worth something to someone even if that someone isn't you or me. I've been nothing but friendly to you on this website, and I've been honest from the get-go in my intentions with these discs- so why do you feel the need to personally insult me?
Yeah, seemed to be a case of milk us and then try to exploit them. I'm totally prepared to call that out.
What are you even calling out? I was asking the same price on this very thread (almost three pages ago) and on Reddit. I was answering questions on the facebook post about these discs and giving links to this thread and the reddit one for more information. I have since deleted the facebook post because I was concerned about you doxxing me.

Hi pokefraker,

can I just say thanks for the interesting info & the pictures you posted here.

A very cool bag & for you at a great price, well done & I mean that.

I have not bagged anything as cool LD wise but have picked up what some people may call scarce LDs at very low prices, lucky finds & very happy with them. Highly unlikely but if I was ever selling them the asking price would probably be a bit more than I paid & if that makes me some form of pariah then so be it.

If I had three of these I would hold onto one of them & sell or trade the others & I can see nothing wrong with that.

if you do pass any on I hope you are happy with whatever you get for them & whoever ends up with one of your discs is happy also.

Thanks again for the useful info & thanks to other posters here who also put on some very interesting stuff.

Cheers

Posted: 15 Sep 2019, 00:22 

I'm sure someone here got the DAICON LD for Y500 or something and has it up for sale here, $500 or so.

Pokefraker, these aren't your friends, you have no one to justify yourself to here. Sell them for whatever the market will bear. Most here would actually do the same thing in your situation.

Posted: 16 Sep 2019, 22:05 

Hard to put a value on something like a blank RLV. The reason I say "maybe if it had something recorded on it." Not trying to be a smart a** or anything. But some of these RLV's did get recorded and it might be interesting to find one that has something on it. That would be fairly rare and depending on what is on the disc, valuable to a collector vs. a blank disc that you can't do anything with. And that would also increase its rarity because it's a limited recording, albeit only 30 mins.

There was a special Hondo 3D recording on RLV and I missed the bidding on it. I would pay more for that but it was also anaglyph 3D and only 30 mins. So I would not have gone overboard on it either.

300 for a blank. The problem is, who is the intended collector? Ideally, the end-user would be someone who can record something onto it if they had the equipment, then it could be worth 300.00, maybe more, who knows. But that's a dead end. So then it becomes an oddity that might appeal to some but it's also unknown how many blank RLV discs are out there too. I have 5, you have 20, might be 100's out there for all we know, so that dilutes any mark up. How many would pay 300/disc for it to sit on shelf?

They're cool. 300 cool? No. But it really only takes one buyer willing to pay it.

Post subject: Re: Looking for Pokemon LD
Posted: 18 Sep 2019, 19:20 

I once bought this LD on Yahoo Auctions for a fellow of mine. It sold for 700 yen, back in 2015. Hard to believe it have gone up in price this much.

Posted: 18 Oct 2019, 05:40 

And, as promised at the end of the video, he started reviewing all titles one by one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBs6vWVij6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p5kUYgGzZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVaexNsfBjU

Now that I live in Tokyo, I'll try to meet the Japanese King of Criterion Collection!

Julien

Posted: 19 Oct 2019, 05:05 

Nice. Classics on the one true definitive format. The ultimate really. Living the dream in Nippon there

Posted: 27 Oct 2019, 14:02 

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Still a classic.

Posted: 21 Nov 2019, 00:22 

Mention of Laserdisc in Demolition Man. Sandra Bullock says, as Lenina Huxley : [ complementing Spartan - Sylvester Stallone] "You are even better live than on Laserdisc!"

Posted: 04 Dec 2019, 04:25 

Yes ineed. Sonicboom got it spot on with his above post. The digital HD version looks to be 1.78. There is just a minuscule amount of picture removed.

Posted: 14 Dec 2019, 21:37 

pokefraker wrote:
Picked up a Japanese copy of Ewoks: Caravan of Courage, finally found one at a price I felt was reasonable ~$20

Bah, I've been looking for that one! Ebay sellers want way too much money for it. :crazy:

Battle for Endor looks terrific on LD btw, particularly the outdoor scenes.

Posted: 17 Dec 2019, 02:39 

Laserdisc: the best. Starts right up, no copy protection, random access, killer sound, beautiful packaging, very good video for the time. Not the best video quality (now) but the most enjoyable to use format by a mile for me. I still watch LD almost every day.

BlueRay: Once it gets going it’s the best ever but the FBI warnings and commentary disclaimers make US releases infuriating. Japan releases...seem to start right up. Go figure...

VHS and DVD: I spent a lot of time on these formats but I’m not a fan of either. VHS just because it’s tape (wears out, no random access) and DVD because it looks worse than it should and of course all the animated menus and stuff so horrible they make Blu-ray seem like a breath of fresh air. And...regions. Macrovison. So sad...

CED and VCD: terrible. Terrible because they were inferior to formats already released years before, wasting people’s time. VCDs strength was only revealed when it became %99.999 pirated releases.

I don’t have a lot of experience with the other stuff.

Posted: 22 Dec 2019, 07:38 

As for the “investment”. I’ve been collecting for decades and I can’t even guess what I’ve spent but I’m sure in real money it’s all now worth about...$60. I don’t let myself get hung up on any aspect of it except what will affect my LD watching. I’ll never ever ever ever get even %10 of my money back and I’m totally cool with it. The enjoyment I’ve had with my LDs is invaluable.

Like :thumbup:

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 11:36 

Okay, thanks. got it straight now. Yeah your discs seem much more valuable if you can find a recorder.
Page 1 of 13 [ Search found 305 matches ]