It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 2 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 15 Aug 2019, 20:15 

I personally would avoid the DVL’s because it doesn’t make sense to me to have what constitutes an “average” LaserDisc and DVD player in one.

Better option would be to get an older LD player like a CLD-D70? or CLD-30?0 series of players that have the digital field memory circuit (just to mimic trick play on CLV discs that the DVL units can perform). You’ll usually get a better picture in most cases too (depending if you prefer the more analog look especially on the players before the CLD-D703).

Of course, the caveat is that many of these players may not by in the best shape but that can be said of the DVL’s as well since they have their share of problems being so overly complicated in design. Fortunately, there are some great machines that can pop up every now and then if you look in odd places. I recently picked up a barely used Mitsubishi, M-V7057 (Pioneer, CLD-D704 clone) for just $40 that just needed a new belt and cleaning of the grip ring.

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:16 

I personally would avoid the DVL’s because it doesn’t make sense to me to have what constitutes an “average” LaserDisc and DVD player in one.

I know others will disagree but I highly doubt that Pioneer bothered to put a crap LD player into this new DVD format
to make a combi player.

They would have tried to keep prices down but put as good of a player as possible as they didn't think they
were going to end LDs for some time after and the first run of DVDs were really not very good.

I remember getting one of those laser newsletters back in the day with reviews of Priscilla Queen Of The Desert.
The LD was given a better review than the DVD as they were both released at the same time.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 2 matches ]