It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 6 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 21 Jan 2021, 22:12 

I'm gonna check with Daniel if he has a player for testing... any advice on the model? I guess the point is not having the best composite to begin with to see how much it can improve the output?
LD-V2000, LD-V2200, CLD-V2400, LD-870, CLD-980, CLD-1070, CLD-1080 come to mind. Any noisy player without recombined composite.

What kind of tests/patterns/movies should we consider the bar?
Video Essentials (1996) [ID3487ISF] for patterns.
Goldeneye: Special Edition (1995) [ML105544] for movie.

Ideally you also want to make sure the player you are testing on has no crosstalk issues so I'd throw Pioneer LaserDisc Reference Disc (2001) [GGV1069] into the mix as well.

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 00:02 

thanks!

first question, about the recombined output: I get some players composite output is actually the result of digital processing and then a conversion again to analog...is such signal still improvable via an external comb filter?

I guess my point is, for those players with recombined output, would be necessary to somehow tap the signal before the digital processing and then feed that to the external filter? I like the idea of using the "raw" signal, but is it eventually possible in practical terms? (CLD-3080/95/97 comes to mind)

Cheers!

P.s.

silly question, are the UK/European version of those models called differently?

Hi there,

I don't think I'm mistaken when I say that there is no European equivalent to the above three players (sadly). The best we ever got were the Pioneer CLD-2950 & its successor the CLD-925 both PAL/NTSC models. There were of course a couple of DVL combi players (909/919) that came later but arguably they were slightly inferior in terms of LD performance in comparison.

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 01:45 

I believe current thinking is that the players with recombinant composite are the vast majority of everything that’s available, so yes it will improve the output. This kind of thing typically improves anything you put through it that isn’t already perfect.

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 03:22 

The LD-V2200 is my main player for testing this kind of thing.
It is my beater unit! Sharp drop off on build quality from the LD-V2200 to the CLD-V2400.

I get some players composite output is actually the result of digital processing and then a conversion again to analog...is such signal still improvable via an external comb filter?
Yes
I guess my point is, for those players with recombined output, in order to get the best output, would that be necessary to somehow tap the signal before the digital processing and then feed that to the external filter?
If you are talking about just general playback-wise, yes if you have the skillset to do so. Not necessary for testing external filtering though.

silly question, are the UK/European version of those models called differently?
I don't think so for the V series listed. Those were models sold to US schools.

A few EU models:
CLD-1200, CLD-1450, CLD-1500, CLD-1600

Need to double check in the schematics. I think all are available here.

Posted: 23 Jan 2021, 00:27 

I think it would be a step up, but I have only experimented with this on a CLD-V2600 so far. Couldn't get it working perfectly, but it did result in better picture quality. The best thing to do if you don't want recombined composite though would be to buy a player that doesn't have it.

I wonder if part/all of the required logic could be implement in the FPGA
I think it would be more of a video buffer that would need to be on the board that feeds the FPGA, but I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to stuff like this. It might be better to just leave all of this out of the FPGA side to reduce complexity.

Either way, figuring out how and where to properly bypass digital memory, Y/C separation, etc in the player is the hard part. Once that is written up, it wouldn't be hard for others with good soldering skills to follow.

Posted: 23 Jan 2021, 16:32 

With the later players, there are ones with digital TBC and pure composite: the S104, D406, and V860+ Karaoke players at least. Note that for best performance you'll probably want to clip out the low pass filter LPF after the TBC, it causes ringing you can even notice in the OSD.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 6 matches ]