It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 19 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Greetings from Vermont!
Posted: 26 Feb 2020, 22:04 

Hello All! I am 36 and live in Vermont with my family in a classic 3 bedroom colonial box. In my basement is my home office and game/movie room.

I have been watching laserdiscs since the mid 90's. I had a teacher who ran our schools AV lab and had a killer home theater setup.

I've had a laserdisc player and a few discs since 2000 or so, but since building my house in 2015 i've really had the space to expand my collection a bit; buying several lots on craigslist locally.

I have a player hooked up downstairs through composite downstairs, about 200 or so discs. The ones in nice shape i put in sealed plastic sleeves after i watch them (and clean the disks).

Upstairs, my pride and joy is my Pioneer DVL-909. I have the S-Video out to an HDMI upscaler, and the Coax AC3 into a Yamaha demodulator, which goes into a Sony STR-DN1080.

I watch the movies regularly, along with VCD, VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray and the occasional digital :D

Look forward to meeting folks on here and learning more about the format and collecting.

Post subject: Re: Greetings from Vermont!
Posted: 27 Feb 2020, 16:09 

forper wrote:
You sound like a real fan. How did you get your family? Any tips?

The family? First you meet a woman; then you have sex with her. Things sort of progress naturally from there :D

Post subject: Re: Greetings from Vermont!
Posted: 27 Feb 2020, 18:59 

I'm in St. Albans town

Hey I know you're not going to believe this, but I live in Saint Albans as well, right by the police station! Forget about within an hours drive, we likely like 5 minutes away from each other :lol:

Small freaking world! I got about 300 or so LD's, despite what my profile on here says (I'm a bit lazy about adding things).

Incredible! PM'd you!

Posted: 03 Mar 2020, 21:03 

Single sided players are starting to grow on me.... The less complexity, the less chance something is going to break and/or cause you problems.

Posted: 24 Mar 2020, 13:42 

Picked up PCU a few weeks back, great early 90's college/party comedy with David Spade, Jeremy Piven, etc. Definitely a jewel of my collection now.

Posted: 17 Apr 2020, 14:44 

I recently ordered a few LD's that have been on my "want list" for some time:

-Rad (1986) A childhood favorite of mine.
-Hot Dog The Movie (1984) Japan only release. Great T&A Ski Party flick.
-The Big Lebowski

Really excited to watch all these on LD, even though i have them on either VHS, DVD, or Bluray :D

Posted: 18 Aug 2020, 21:53 

A lot of early DVD's were rushed to market and are full screen with stereo sound and cheap transfers.

Few LD's can compare to later DVD's and Blurays, but i'd argue that the late 90's LD's, when they were a premium product, compare VERY favorably and are sometimes superior to early DVD pressings that were rushed to market.

I'd take a widescreen LD with AC3 over a fullscreen DVD in stereo/pro-logic ANY day.

Posted: 19 Aug 2020, 14:41 

Thanks guys! Kurtis is going to sell me a single sided player with S-Video and AC3. Once you hear the rich demodulated AC3 Surround Sound it's hard to go back!

Chris lets talk soon. Really enjoying some titles from the recent lot i bought from you; just watched "Face/Off" the other night!

Posted: 19 Aug 2020, 19:37 

rein-o wrote:
I hope you don't get rid of the DVL, those are nice players and worth keeping, fixing etc.

No way! I absolutely plan to have it repaired! Even though i don't care about the DVD capability; i do like the player overall and want to get it refurbished for use downstairs.

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 20:01 

Kurtis sold me an Elite CLD-59 (which is arriving today!)

It DOES have the "both sides" feature. But since he recently refurbished the unit i'm okay with it and feel like it should work well for quite a while.

My DVL-909 i'm hanging on to and will be working on getting repaired for use downstairs.

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 20:18 

What would you really like for your collection but are just too pricey to pull the trigger on?

For me there are a few:

The Matrix: Would be fun to have this on LD. Just sold for $195 on ebay; no way i could do this when good DVD copy is like $5

Sleepy Hollow: A favorite halloween flick of mine and late release. In the hundreds also. No way.

Bringing Out The Dead: It was the last laserdisc movie, we get it. Would be fun to have but unless i get it in a lot someday...

Caddyshack widescreen: People want too much for this version; but would love to have it someday

Star Wars movies: Why these are made of gold i do not know; you can get the molested version box sets on the cheap luckily

What about you? What has price kept you from buying over the years? :)

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 20:11 

Just one, that is hard.

Off the top of my head Bladerunner 2049 simply because I don't think is deserved some of the negative comments (a number of which were made before it was even released - go figure). I liked it & think it was made with respect to the original - an LD in a lush gatefold sleeve would have been nice.

:thumbup:

This was at the top of my list as well; along with Mad Max Fury Road

Posted: 04 Dec 2020, 16:03 

Every year around this time "A GRP Christmas Collection" gets heavy rotation on our families LD player. The music is good, the bucolic christmas scenes are relaxing, and the nostalgia is heavy.

I was wondering if anyone else out there appreciates this disc, and if anyone knows of anything similar on LD?

Thanks!

Posted: 04 Dec 2020, 18:40 

I would buy something like this if i found it locally on the cheap.

I'm sure one of my LD players is bound to have Karaoke functionality.

Do any have Mic inputs? It's not the same fun without a mic.

Posted: 28 Jan 2021, 20:41 

So i went back to just using straight composite input and honestly i think it looks better/clearer/less distorted and jittery than S-Video upscaled to HDMI.

I can still switch my inputs to Coaxial to get AC-3 DD sound when needed, but for most discs, the analog sounds and picture are ideal.

I think i was trying to re-invent the wheel and too many signal filters were making things worse not better.

I suggest anyone with 1-3 go betweens for their image signal try to just get as direct an analog signal as possible to their TV and see how it looks. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Posted: 28 Jan 2021, 21:16 

Why I still watch laserdiscs

A. I like the big shiny discs and jackets. It's the most beautiful physical media format ever released. I just love physical media in general and LD is top of the food chain for me.

2. They still look and sound great. You aren't going to get much more detail out of composite; and how they figured out AC3 is beyond me.

D. I am extremely nostalgic for the 80's and 90's; peak laserdisc times. If you had one then, you were a rich guy (and lets be honest it was mostly guys buying this stuff) and therefore i feel a little swanky even now using them.

-The retro-futurism/meta aspect. I like my Hackers on LD, etc. etc., it was the "Format of the future" and retains that cache/cool ESPECIALLY in 2021 when everything has gone digital (booooooring) I want to hold and see the future, yesterdays future; in a big shiny disc, a cartridge, or floppy, or a tape.

-Lots of great movies on the format. I'm mostly interested in pop-culture from the 20th century. I'd rather discover stuff from back then (tons we all haven't seen) than watch the tripe that's being released these days. I don't really care much about anything post 2003 or so and if i do it's few and far between. Often times the LD version of a movie is the highest quality you can get, especially if it was only otherwise on VHS or a poor early DVD release.

I sit here in my navy Laserdisc T-Shirt (thanks Etsy) and really enjoy many things about the format that have been previously mentioned. I try to buy locally but not much comes up on CL anymore. The only reason i ship players is because they are in need of repair, and i ship them to Kurtis in one of his properly padded boxes.

I have really got my wife into them and we watch 2-3 a week every week together. Great format that i plan to enjoy as long as i'm alive!

Post subject: LD separating in the middle
Posted: 06 Apr 2021, 21:26 

I busted out my copy of Irving Berlins "Easter Parade" recently as i've been looking for a reason to watch it and easter had come around, and it's splitting down the middle into the two separate sides!

I'm sure someone has seen this before but it's the first time I have. Have seen plenty of rot before, but never A/B side seperation. Am i safe to try a little Super Glue or is this disc just toast?

Posted: 07 Apr 2021, 01:01 

I'll take a picture and post tomorrow.

Posted: 02 Jun 2021, 14:44 

Well the culprit was a (rather dusty) analog switch box. I should have guessed it might be this instead of the same problem with multiple laserdisc machine (doh!)

I was listening to my cassette player and noticed the front right channel was also silent and was like "okay, something is up here" I tested the connection at the AV out point of the box and sure enough the right channel was dead. So i had a spare switchbox downstairs, hooked everything back up and it all sounds great. I've used those boxes over the years because i have a ton of analog devices hooked up and always run out of inputs on any AV receiver i use (especially modern ones, where the analog inputs are down to 1-2). They are pretty simple and i've never had one fail in 10+ years of using them so.....still, should have figured it out earlier.

This thread wasn't a total wasn't though; i learned quite a bit, so thanks again to everyone for your thoughts!
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 19 matches ]