It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 00:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 14 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 26 Oct 2011, 14:12 

Just heard a commercial on the radio this morning for Farmer's Insurance which opened up with: Does your insurance company think you're watching Laserdiscs on a tube TV in your home? Then it went on about home owners insurance covering expensive electronics. It gave me a bit of a chuckle hearing that. Especially since I actually am watching Laserdiscs on a tube TV in my home!

Post subject: Re: Greetings from Vermont!
Posted: 27 Feb 2020, 17:28 

welcome on board. A little tip for you, try not to stack your LDs like this, they are leaning too much on the side and this could potentially get some of them to warp given enough time.
Try to keep them in an upright vertical position.
Other than that hope you enjoy your stay and learn more about the hobby.

Post subject: Re: Greetings from Vermont!
Posted: 27 Feb 2020, 21:20 

rick_dangerous wrote:

So how does one do this? You look up a disc on the main site and then click "Add to my collection?"

Is there a faster way? haha

Yep that's it. If there is a faster way I don't know of it.

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 21:45 

Hi rick_dangerous,

I use the poly lined sleeves to replace the onion skin/elephant condoms sleeves, they can also help prevent the LD bursting through or stressing the cover.

If you ask sellers the exact dimensions of the sleeves they are selling that may give you the info you require & help you find your ideal size, they can vary in size as you have mentioned.

Most lined sleeves that came new with LDs back in the day had the "hole in the middle" & that was with the US issued LDs & PDO pressed discs here in the UK, don't think I have seen any for sale without the holes but someone here may be able to point you in the right direction.

I bought a few that were ideal for LDs - perfect size with none of the sleeve sticking out of the cover & not too snug either, that included the slightly smaller Japanese LD covers which were what I was replacing most, can't remember who the seller was now though.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers.

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 21:59 

Yeah thats honestly the best idea. There is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." and then "If it ain't broke enough, don't fix it." :lol:

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 22:13 

I use https://www.bcwsupplies.com/polylined-r ... re-corners

You can find them cheaper from other resellers than through their website.

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 23:06 

I use those sleeves but I don't buy them from the manufacturer's website. They'll still be about 50 cents each which adds up quick, so I use them selectively. I'd be several $100 deep if I replaced them all.

Posted: 03 Apr 2020, 04:24 

I sure hope the people buying them are at least watching the damn things

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 19:37 

Just one, that is hard.

Off the top of my head Bladerunner 2049 simply because I don't think is deserved some of the negative comments (a number of which were made before it was even released - go figure). I liked it & think it was made with respect to the original - an LD in a lush gatefold sleeve would have been nice.

:thumbup:

Posted: 04 Sep 2020, 17:37 

rick_dangerous wrote:
Got the Technidisc Fox discs in (all 3 are Made in USA Technidisc)! Including the 1993 Pressing of A New Hope! Stoked; thanks all!

Well you won't notice a difference, I had both and A-B'd them there was NO difference in the shrinking aspect ratio.
But other than that enjoy the discs.

Posted: 07 Apr 2021, 10:25 

Good thing I sold you a single-sided player then right? :lol:

Posted: 01 Jun 2021, 20:18 

Yes i really like the 5 speaker stereo; it sounds just like 2 speaker but louder and better.

Maybe I’ll give it a try when I’m feeling hard of hearing. I’m not exactly getting younger ;).

Mono also seems to confuse the new Dolby Digital decoder because sound only comes out of the left channel when i switch to surround on a mono disc.

Sounds like your right speaker is not connected. Have you tried another source like the radio?

I did take the cover off my DVL-909 today to look at the Analog audio inputs, nothing was loose, broken, etc. so i have no idea whats up with those.

The 909 has (what I believe) is a bottom mounted board so you won’t be able to see any broken solder joints as they would be on the underside. The 59 does have a side mounted board and you can look at the solder pads for the jacks on the green side to see if they could have broken loose. Here is an image of what it could look like.....

https://i.vgy.me/8oOsu9.png

Posted: 01 Jun 2021, 21:19 

Yes i really like the 5 speaker stereo; it sounds just like 2 speaker but louder and better.

I'm just wondering, if I'm getting "Dual Analog Mono" when both tracks are selected, why would sound not come out of all 5 speakers, just 4 with a dead front right channel?

Mono also seems to confuse the new Dolby Digital decoder because sound only comes out of the left channel when i switch to surround on a mono disc.

Going to keep playing around and see what i can come up with.

I did take the cover off my DVL-909 today to look at the Analog audio inputs, nothing was loose, broken, etc. so i have no idea whats up with those. Going to have to keep rotating in various spare machines until i find one that works best i think.

When I said, "I can't think of any scenario where just the RF would drop out other than defective equipment or something not being hooked up right.", I meant it. There is no reason that should happen. Something is up with something. Remove the AVR from the equation and verify you have good output from the LD player's RCA jacks. Then make sure all channels with the AVR are correct and in phase, both the interconnects and the speakers. Also, don't select anything on the player, just let it play. Whatever is coming from the analog outs on spin-up will be what you want in almost every case. BTW, digital outputs are overrated on LD players, IMHO and can only add to the confusion in cases like this. Lets stick to the RCA jacks for now.

When AVRs die it can be very confusing...perhaps this is happening, or stupid heavy duty cables have shredded your RCA jacks, or the cables are bad, or maybe you have the speaker cables for Center and RF reversed. Do you have any LDs with channel checks?

Posted: 02 Jun 2021, 15:27 

Excellent, exactly the sort of thing I was suspecting. I'm glad everything turned out fine, with the cheapest thing in the stack being the failure point. I'm also glad to have my diagnostic ego stroked. Everyone wins.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 14 matches ]