It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 3 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: LD S2 AC3 RF mod tutorial
Posted: 05 Feb 2021, 10:34 

Hi there,

I finally managed to make my LD S2 sing again, but it wasn't the end, because although it's a 1992 model, it didn't have the AC3 RF output. By the way even if it's a 1992 model, it's impossible to have closed caption on it, a pity for me because I'm French.

Anyway, the mod is quite easy !

Here is the schematic where signals must be taken :
Pioneer ld S2 AC3 schema.png

This board is located in the guts of the player : you just have to remove the bottom plate and you will find behind a copper plate a board on a side that have to be removed :
pioneer ld s2 ac3 mod1.jpg

Then another copper plate and the audio board :
pioneer ld s2 ac3 mod3.jpg

You can see all the interesting points !: AC3RF, Mute, +5V , -5V and ground.

I used this schematic :
AC-3.gif
That can be found here

Strangely, It didn't work with Q2 and Q3 so I removed them and R2 is directly connected to +5V. So mute input isn't an absolute need : I don't have any noise at all. Maybe other circuit could be better but this one works flawlessly.

I put the small circuit board in a place out of the precedent picture, on the top.
And the out coaxial (shielded) wire is put on the top of the back :
pioneer ld s2 ac3 mod4.jpg

And it works like a charm ! :)

Posted: 05 Feb 2021, 10:40 

I could not upload more than 5 pictures in the first post so here is a zoom on +/-5V picking points :
Attachment:
pioneer ld s2 ac3 mod5.jpg

Posted: 06 Feb 2021, 09:13 

Thank you all, I'm glad if it can help you. ;)

I actually used that schematic initially and had the same issue w/ the Q2 and Q3. Not sure if it was me or if the schematic was just plain wrong. I actually liked this design because it is the only known version that is supposed to work for MAL (and come to think of it; my problem was that the board I made based from it gave me a negative voltage on the RCA jack so maybe it does work but I needed an MAL player to test it).

In any case, the Mute signal from what I understand doesn't appear to cause issues most of the time but I did have a problem on a Sony mod that I did w/ the built in AC3-RF Demodulator of which the initial start of a disc side would sometimes give me a loud digital pop and then everything is fine. I think the issue was simply because of the way the AC3-RF board interacted with my particular Demod board. After that, all my other AC3 mods had a good working mute point and I never got the digital pop ever again.

In any case, here is the AC3-RF board schematic that I found to work perfectly for me.

https://i.vgy.me/aR6JaE.gif

It's a bit different in respect that it uses two additional ceramic caps that I believe were intended for noise filtration off of the +5 and -5 volt inputs. This is also only meant for MAH players which is actually fine since most MAL players are only in Europe so I don't have to worry about it hear in the US.

Thank you for the info, I can't try it for the moment since I put my player under other players and don't have time for the moment but I take note and will surely try yours. :)

But when you say, “ ...it's impossible to have closed caption on it...”, I’m not sure that’s correct. Every NTSC LD player is compatible with CC as far as I know. It’s your TV or external box that actually renders them though. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

It seems to be an internal and technical drawback on the LD S2, that can't be solved. I use a Contemporary Research Caption decoder, I don't have any subtitle unfortunately...
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 3 matches ]