It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 5 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 18 Jul 2020, 09:21 

Picture posted

Ah okay; yeah that's from the layers of the disk separating due to poor manufacturing, low quality glue, or being stored in a humid environment. I'm guessing this was a storage issue as this release [14795 CS] doesn't have any reported rot on the database.

I have a few old Ford Discs with this issue, most play fine but definitely show some signs of "laser rot" (slight audio distortion, "snow" in the image in certain parts).

It's just something that happens with optical media like this unfortunately. Thankfully Laserdisc, unlike DVD will continue to play even with these issues, instead of jumping around or freezing.

Posted: 18 Jul 2020, 09:27 

So then just take care of them from here on out and they will be fine?

Pretty much! It'll still breakdown over time, but that's just optical media in general. Proper storage in a low humidity environment will definitely slow the process.

Definitely be careful who you're buying your discs from though. Here on LDDB sellers know what they have, and will show/share any defects the discs have; eBay can be a bit more of a crapshoot.

Posted: 18 Jul 2020, 09:31 

I once read that if I store discs in like a vacuum-sealed bag it’ll help slow the process, know if that’s true as well?

I mean; I'm sure it would help but I personally wouldn't bother going through vacuum sealing every film in my collection to preserve them, I have also never heard of anyone here doing that, but I'm sure someone somewhere has, sure.

Just seems like more trouble than it's worth because then you need to reseal every movie you watch, each time you watch it.

Little Mermaid, The (1989) [14795 CS]

The film isn't that expensive if you ever need a replacement copy, most movies are pretty damn cheap on the format.

Posted: 18 Jul 2020, 10:16 

guada93 wrote:
Oh it wouldn’t be this one I would be storing. The only way I could convince the lady in my life to let me get into this was buying movies that she enjoys as well so that one was one of the haha

Sounds like you need to put the lady on ebay

Posted: 18 Jul 2020, 19:43 

Wait so a vacuum seal bag speeds up the process of disc rot?

No, your body is rotting faster right now as you live than any of the stuff around you.

My 150 year old house will be around longer than you or me.....

Don't waste your time with bags like that, enjoy and use what you have.

Fight the OCD.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 5 matches ]