Posted: 23 Jul 2023, 15:00 

I wouldn’t get rid of any of them.

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 23 Jul 2023, 20:22 

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
I wouldn’t get rid of any of them.

even the DVLs?

None of the players on the list are that great but I would keep them all, even the Sony. I like my LDs a lot and players are getting harder and harder to find.

Posted: 28 Jul 2023, 16:30 

The first LD I ever saw would have probably been Dragon’s Lair in the arcade and then Space Ace, and a few others. I demoed a Marantz model in an indie stereo shop but eventually bought a Pioneer S201 in 92, quite a few years after Dragon’s Lair. My first discs were Far and Away, Project A-ko, Nausicaa…

Posted: 01 Aug 2023, 00:36 

I watched Gamera, Guardian of the Universe (1995) [DLZ-0185] . This is a very high quality LD. The movie itself isn’t as good as the best Godzilla movie but it’s a lot better than the worse ones. While it is a lot more serious than the OG series the fights still get goofy and Gameras spinning flying trick looks totally badass in this version.

Post subject: Re: Conan The Barbarian
Posted: 01 Aug 2023, 09:25 

Conan didn’t mean much to me until later in life. There were a lot of fantasy loincloth movies like that back then after all…but a while back I watched it again and I really got into the characters, particularly the way Conan and his girlfriend get along. I really buy into the idea that those two filthy idiot badasses loved each other. I feel Conan’s sorrow, for real.

Another sword swinger like that with a strong female is Hundra (1983) [98C59-6100] . This chick not only fights but fights bareback and naked. Hundra is like Red Sonja but she’s actually tough and can fight. If you’re into these kind of movies enough to have seen Beastmaster III and Circle of Iron then you should probably see Hundra.

Posted: 03 Aug 2023, 19:15 

Sorry I was taking a dead inside break.

I didn't want to keep this topic going to much longer, want to focus on getting 8 Track getting made again
unless this has already been started and I'm late to the game yet again.

I’m sure it’s been done.

While pointless that would be way less suicidal since 8 track decks were waaaaaaay more popular than LD and the players are very easy to resurrect or send through the mail.

Posted: 07 Aug 2023, 17:32 

It was common to have ads on videos in stores in Japan and elsewhere…still is. LD was much much less popular for this purpose though. It could also have been a contest giveaway I suppose. It has a very retail looking cover made to appeal to…someone.

Posted: 10 Aug 2023, 11:14 

I’m not interested in a single thing Disney has made in decades so I don’t care. Everything the new Disney Omnicorp makes, over the hill Star Wars, endless identical Marvel crap, bad Muppets, and live action remakes of better movies…its all trash.

If it’s the new trend overall to ditch media then small labels and the JP market will likely keep me going for the rest of my life. I wish I could still buy movies at Target but oh well.

Posted: 11 Aug 2023, 21:06 

Man…it’s all about flipping stuff with you. Literally everything exists not for its own sake but for how it can be flipped. You don’t seem to even see any other aspect of a thing. It’s pathological…

I dislike MOD for sure, not because I can’t make money off it but because DVD-Rs and blurry softback books suck. You may be experiencing this more if you are fixated on CD and DVD which are both severely underrepresented currently. High res downloads, LPs, and streaming on the other hand are awash with content. There’s a new record I want to buy every week if not every day.

Posted: 19 Aug 2023, 15:34 

Goldeneye: Special Edition (1995) [ML105544]
Certainly is worth a mention

I agree. I mentioned this in another thread with the same topic. I don’t like Goldeneye as a movie at all, it’s very dumb and bad, like most Bond, but that LD is maybe the single all around best LD I own (excepting the quality of the actual film). Sound, picture, everything is awesome.

Posted: 21 Aug 2023, 08:24 

I think I actually used BD Live once or twice and I had a PS3 all through its “glory days”. Whatever I tried wasn’t memorable.

Meanwhile I have a stand-alone Sony player that has never been updated once and still plays everything.

Posted: 31 Aug 2023, 14:40 

My kid and I have been watching a lot of Marx Bros lately. We have the Paramount era BR, which is great, but there doesn’t seem to be a similar thing for the later films. In fact, the DVD copy of A Day At the Races I bought on Amazin’ was an “Archive” version…in other words a burn. It’s strange how differently two different companies can treat the exact same fan base…

One nice thing about movies like this though is that the LD editions look about %95 as good as the 1080p versions so as long as you have LDs you are set other than the LD possibly missing any pre-code footage. B/w movies often look very good on LD. Sadly the only Marx LD I have though is the excellent Night at the Opera, A: Special Edition #31 (1935) [CC1131L] .

Posted: 31 Aug 2023, 19:08 

James and the Giant Peach (1996) [7894 AS] is pretty great.

Post subject: Re: SONY MDP 850D
Posted: 02 Sep 2023, 10:37 

It’s hard to tell much from those pictures but in general, yeah, Sony players have blurry/bad video. They’re also famous for breaking easily too so I’d be happy mine was working at all if I were you. :)

Posted: 02 Sep 2023, 14:47 

One of these days the modern generation of fanboys will learn that it’s a *good* thing that your favorite thing ends. I don’t want 300 episodes of Faulty Towers. I don’t want 20000 episodes of Zeta Gundam. It won’t be any good at that point, it can’t be, and I don’t understand fans of a thing who seem to genuinely like the things they like but also can’t understand that quality and infinity are mutually exclusive concepts.

Post subject: Re: SONY MDP 850D
Posted: 02 Sep 2023, 14:51 

Where are the settings that I turn with a screwdriver to try to improve the picture?

Hahahaha! Don’t. Don’t change anything. If you have to ask that question you’ll never pull it off and will almost certainly make it worse. Also you can’t fix design issues with adjustments, and Sony players certainly had design issues.

Posted: 06 Sep 2023, 14:09 

I’m glad you liked it. Aim For the Top! is one of best ever anime. I do wonder if you semi missed the point of it though if you want a long series at all. It’s all the stuff that’s missing around the edges that makes it awesome. It’s Getta Robo plus Cosmos, the extremes. Fleshing it out would reduce every aspect of it, not the least of which the budget, which would be a terrible thing.

Besides, six episodes is pretty long for an 80s OVA, be grateful!

Did you get the individual LDs or the box?

Posted: 07 Sep 2023, 12:50 

It was indeed made with hard work and guts, actual Japanese kids flunking out of school because they stayed up all night painting cells for Cream Lemon hoping they could someday work on a show like Macross because anime is the greatest art form and a business degree is dumb. The full potential of anime was still something unknown at the time and those guys were really trying their hardest to make the greatest stuff ever, all day every day. There is true enthusiasm in every bit of Aim for the Top! Don’t let the plagiarism turn you off. The fact that they stole all that stuff is proof of their passion for it!

Of course now we know that they wasted their time because we have since developed the true purpose of Japanese animation; selling merch to escapist foreign fans with no concept of quality while outsourcing everything to Korea. :D

Posted: 08 Sep 2023, 13:15 

There is still no point, zero point, in getting a two channel fold down of 5.1 DTS. The producers already did that, they created a two channel mix and it’s the two channel Digital track on the non-DTS version of the movie. You will not get better quality stereo by mixing down a multi track digital surround version to stereo yourself. DTS LDs were only made for people with surround systems. This isn’t a gatekeeper/classist thing, it’s a technical reality. We aren’t trying to hurt your feelings. We are not “haters”. You are not being persecuted. It’s just that what you’re doing makes no sense.

You jacked up your pickup truck 8 inches but you didn’t buy bigger tires so now it’s just a great big unwieldy truck that tips over easy.

Are you the Turtle Beach guy again? You can tell us.

Posted: 15 Sep 2023, 02:01 

It is a great looking LD.

I’m a big fan of Babe. I never saw the sequel because I never wanted one. A while back though I decided to get it for the AC-3. It arrived in a perfect condition sleeve but…the disc inside was cracked in two. I eventually got another copy quite some time later and eventually watched it. After like $70 spent and probably a year or two between the two copies and me eventually getting around to seeing it well…it turns out I don’t like Babe II very much at all! :) Its loud and kinda nightmarish and I get none of the same feelings I got from the first movie. Oh well, there’s always the first one, which I have regular and DTS versions of, and the weirdo fans can have their Big Top Peewee level City of Lost Children-esque freak circus of a sequel. :D

Posted: 16 Sep 2023, 18:08 

This is a thread to talk about cases where there are multiple edits of a movie, usually with the longer one being the harder to find thing…and then when you finally have the long cut you realize the movie isn’t any better.

Obviously Blade Runner and Brazil had messed up theatrical editions, and those Lord of the Rings movies mostly did get better when bloated way beyond their original already super long running times. That’s non-controversial. But what about when the opposite is true? Like those Hobbit movies that came later?

There are a few instances where I prefer the short version of something but the one that got me thinking about this enough to start a thread is New Order Story. This is a documentary about the band New Order that I’ve been a big fan of for a long time.

Originally I saw Story on American VHS when it came out more or less as part of the Republic campaign. As an American we didn’t get a lot of NO on TV or in music magazines so this release was a big deal for fans like me and my friends who were stuck in the middle of nowhere and wanted to know more about the people that made these cool records. It has the entire band interviewed together and separately and also lots of time with Rob Gretton and Tony Wilson…Factory was gone by this point but everyone was still around and talking to each other. This was all pretty much *right* before they broke up for the first time so it pretty much encapsulated the history of the band and was considered “current” for longer than most rock documentaries about still existing bands usually do. It’s a great feature. I love it. It also had edited into it most of the videos that weren’t on the Substance 1989 VHS, another favorite of mine when I was like 20.

Now at some point I became aware that there was a Japanese LD that was so much longer than the 60 min version I had that it needed to be a 2XLD but I never found it for a good price so I always just wondered about it…

…until many years later when a DVD called Item came out. Item was essentially two different releases in a slipcase. One DVD of all their videos and the other DVD was the long version of Story. US region and cheap, I bought it. I watched it. It’s long! 140 minutes, way longer than twice as long as version I originally knew. WTF? That’s a huge difference in running times. So what do you get?

Well, amazingly not much. You get more videos and you get all that weird as heck Baywatch semi-live beach music video they did for Regret with The Hoff cut into it. (Bizarre stuff.). For the most part though it’s just way more talking, longer cuts of the same sequences. Lots of words, yes, things seen, factoids acquired, but man it’s *long*. You’d think it was a thing about the Civil War or something, sheesh.

I’m told that this long cut originally ran on ITV. Don’t they run ads on ITV? This thing must have taken up and entire afternoon!

So honestly I think I prefer the much shorter version. The Baywatch real is…bad. It’s bad and dumb and really uncool so it seems strange putting it into a movie about how cool the band is. If anything maybe I’d have shortened the thing down from 60 min by simply pulling all of the footage of Bono out of it. All his footage is him pointing a Handycam at his face and doing a Cory Feldman impression. I think he may have literally mailed in his footage so he’s never on screen with anyone and cutting all his clips out wouldn’t leave any detectable hole.

The only thing I would want more of is the parts where they’re all drunk and laughing at the dinner table.

What movies do you prefer a shorter version of?

Posted: 17 Sep 2023, 01:05 

Of the 999 movie I’m reading, “This short movie is a remake of the first half of episode 3 of Ginga Tetsudou 999”

I’d say they are probably all at least technically unique. They always make special (often short) movies for those festival things.

EDIT: Also it says they are all scope so there’s that too. At least the framing will be different than any TV episode. :)

Post subject: Re: Power supply and watts
Posted: 18 Sep 2023, 13:08 

You can try to do whatever you want but if what you’re suggesting is even physically possible and the ratings are accurate then you’re asking for trouble. That’s a pretty big discrepancy. Bigger is OK, smaller isn’t.

I’d suspect that it would have issues starting LDs and changing sides, since those are the peak current demand times for an LD player. Audio screwups, discs not reading right, missing TOC info, no DTS sync. It would probably run the middle of a CLV side just fine but could flake out during the sustained current demand of a CAV side.

It could also potentially fail the PSU since these poor things are already decades old so combining that will over work…

VERICT: Don’t do it unless it’s a Sony. :)

Posted: 18 Sep 2023, 13:14 

Most of the short summer festival movies I can think of are all new material. All the Dragonball ones, Macross 7, Mazinger, ranger shows, etc. Sometimes it’s a special episode of the current series and so it will have intros and outro. Sometimes it’s like Miller’s Report which was a movie length clip show with significant new material.

Whatever it is, it was unique at the time of it playing or else they wouldn’t have bothered showing it.

Posted: 25 Sep 2023, 20:33 

I typed up a typically mean spirited reply for this but apparently never hit Submit.

Oh well, you can guess my thoughts. If Techmoan talked about something 8 years ago you’re clearly retreading some tired old stuff.

f**k…just look at the way the a*****e is holding the thing in the key frame. I want to “find where he lives and push local dog s**t through his mail slot”, as Bobby Fingers, an actually great YouTuber, would say.

Doesn’t this guy have any friends or family to tell him to not do this?
Page 29 of 34 [ Search found 826 matches ]