It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 826 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 01 Mar 2020, 18:19 

There are still lots of cels out there for $40 that are very nice. Akira stuff was always expensive.

The best time was back in the day though, of course. Now there is no new supply. Its amazing prices haven't skyrocketed. Maybe when 90s kids figure out what they are they'll do to cels what they're doing to video games and action figures now.

Posted: 06 Mar 2020, 01:43 

I really like the LD-W1. It’s fairly handsome but plain. It’s in the using where it’s nice. The action on the drawers is butter. I like anything where there is a fold down panel and the drawer is behind that. Of course it has the best Pioneer LD remote ever as well.

Posted: 07 Mar 2020, 04:33 

How many discs do you have? If you have 500 LDs and one side of one them skips then...that’s pretty good luck. If this box set is your entire collection then I think we haven’t seen a large enough statistical sample. If you see defects on the disc in the very area of the problem then I’d suspect the disc.

Alignment is usually more like something that ruins the picture quality of every second of the disc than something that will cause skipping only in one spot.

“One inch from the center hole” is still in the label. It must be further than that?

For the record, LDs start at the beginning and play outward. The labels are the reverse of where the data actually is.

Posted: 08 Mar 2020, 15:50 

A disc still be mangled and still in the shrink. Opened with the shrink still on the outside isn’t 8/10, it’s just an LD with some plastic on it.

In the LD world rot is more important than it being never touched by human hands.

Most LDs are worthless regardless so enjoy your uncles film collection for what it is.

Posted: 11 Mar 2020, 02:43 

I didn’t even know Fantasia was altered until recently since I’ve only ever seen the LD...of which I have three copies.

I’m so OG I don’t even realize it sometimes.

Posted: 13 Mar 2020, 20:21 

“The story explores a society completely brought down, within the span of one week, because of dependency on a single energy source and a state of prosperity tainted by compromise and deceit”

Not current events, but rather the plot summery from the Wiki for Giant Robo (1992) the best OVA which I’m going through right now. I’m also reading the Babel II manga (related).

Also manga related, I recently read all of Touch (Mitsuru Adachi) and wanted to watch the first movie again but all my old torrent sites are gone and I can only find it raw. I was hoping for subs since it’s a lot different from the manga/TV.

Touch is a really good (sports) manga, btw. I really miss that art style and pacing.

Also my kids been really into the first Unico movie so I’ve now seen that 4 times this week. I’m a huge fan already, which is why we have it.

Posted: 15 Mar 2020, 14:53 

Also, a lot of people have come here claiming that their TVs won’t do certain things when in fact they usually do, they just don’t know how to do it because stuff doesn’t come with manuals anymore and despite the fact that TVs are hhuuuuuuuuuuuge now it’s still almost impossible to find the buttons and ports without a flashlight and some persistence.

Posted: 20 Mar 2020, 16:14 

Watched Robot Carnival on roku and about half way through Escape Plan, reminds me of those films a few years ago with Sly, can't remember now
where they were a combat team, 3 of them.

Anyway off to get some baseboard for the kitchen floor, need to have a floor if we must survive the pre-game apocalypse :lol:

I was looking at some Robot Carnival cels recently and it make me feel very happy about skipping the Bluray which was cropped wide. When you see the cel...there’s no arguing about missing image. You are holding in your hand a 4:3 drawing which was 4:3 on VHS and LD for decades and now cropped 16:9 removing 1/3 of the frame. Stupid. There’s no other word for it.

Posted: 21 Mar 2020, 16:55 

This is subject matter too grim for me even when I’m not hiding from real plague. I can’t even imagine watching it on purpose now. Similarly I would not watch Helter Skelter after my family was murdered, I would not watch Showgirls after learning my daughter ran away to become a stripper, etc. I guess I’m pretty weak psychologically.

Posted: 25 Mar 2020, 01:09 

My favorite is Drunken Master II (that bar fight!) but I’m a huge fan of Jackie Chan in general. He’s one the greatest filmmakers of all time, IMHO. He doesn’t always do everything himself but at one point or another he has. The music, the stunts, the editing, directing, writing, training his stunt men, running the business. He’s used these skills to make some terrible movies but also some of my absolute favorite ever.

Posted: 29 Mar 2020, 16:05 

Especially since it’s sucks. For $100 you can easily have nearly any other anime release on LD in Japan. Almost every series even. Therefore I’d imagine my collection would have to be pretty big before I got this.

If you want a giant LD sized Sakura Wars box set I recommend the Complete Box for Dreamcast. It has all four games in it and a very nice presentation. Also an extra GRROM with all the DLC on it for Sakura Wars 3. It doesn’t have a music box or a memory card like the individual releases would but it does have the greatest Sakura Wars games Sega is every going to make and the package fits in your shelf.

Posted: 30 Mar 2020, 17:31 

The games are much, much better.

This cannot be overstated. Sakura Wars 3 is a huge favorite of mine. I’ll forgive any flaw in a game if the art direction is good enough and it sure is for SA3. So while it is so easy that you basically can’t not beat it, I don’t care. It’s the most perfectly packaged thing I’ve ever played. No seams anywhere, and every inch is something cooler than anything you’ve seen in a strategy game.

It’s also funny sometimes. Erica has this line that is something like, “Just once I’d like to eat pudding until I’m completely full.” Which I think is one for the ages. The end of part 4 is a tear jerker for hardcore Sega fans. Your boss reads this haiku that seems to describe the end of Sega’s “spring time” which to me...that was when Sega had already started making games for once competing machines but they were still making a few DC titles. It seemed to me saying, “We did the fun stuff but eventually you have to grow up.” and for Sega growing up meant basically dying and becoming the lame publisher they are today. I may have been reading a bit into that...the death of Sega and SNK at almost the same time really depressed me for a year or so. Now I just accept that the good guys lost and that’s where we are but back then I was pretty pissed.

Posted: 08 Apr 2020, 17:01 

You need a shelf, man. Pending that, put 2/3 of those LD players in the cupboard. You can’t watch three movies at once. Also, the XBox isn’t flat on top so that MegaCD looks like it’s going to take a big fall at any second. To be safe, burn the X Box. Use the CDi for the fuel.

I think I have the same Sony BR player you do. It’s really really slow but otherwise fine, right?

Post subject: Re: Akira 4K Remaster
Posted: 08 Apr 2020, 23:08 

Eventually it will likely be released everywhere but it will be 1/4 the price and have cheaper packaging. Akira is too $$$ to stay in Japan even though...even with high budget anime 4K and 1080p upscaled to 4K should look pretty much identical. (I mean, serious, the originals cels are only a foot wide...)

Posted: 10 Apr 2020, 04:39 

I just want to save the princess, man.

Posted: 25 Apr 2020, 00:13 

Corrosion protection...I don’t know what’s funnier. The fact that Fords rust like 70s Fiats or that the LD is rotted. Double hilarious, IMO.

Posted: 25 Apr 2020, 00:26 

I often wonder if Cruise will get his Cosby sort of turf out before he dies or after. It’s coming, eventually. I guess if he can keep people going to his movies and the Church can win it’s court battles he stays out of prison. Cosby’s biggest mistake was retiring.

Is it pretty well known that Cruise is a scumbag or something? I don't pay attention to celeb news but of course the Cosby story was so big I couldn't help but read about it..

He’s basically #2 in the Church of Scientology which is a fake religion who’s days are numbered. He has limos built by slaves. I recommend the book Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief. There is a HBO version but I very much recommend the book. It hits way harder. It’s only a matter of time. People aren’t ready for it so it won’t happen yet. They want to stick their fingers in their ears and keep going to the movies, but it will happen. Human trafficking and sweatshop labor and cults will have their #metoo moment and when they do it will take out a lot of s****y people.

I watched that documentary on Bikram Yoga. It almost felt like part one of a series in nailing Hollywood scumbags.

Post subject: Re: Cursed Films
Posted: 27 Apr 2020, 02:26 

How revoltingly ghoulish. I hate TV even more just knowing this foul *%#! exists.

Posted: 30 Apr 2020, 16:29 

Doesn’t it say on the package somewhere? It seems like it would.

I can’t say for sure but my assumption is that it’s a new mix. They would have re-done everything to make the 5.1 so they probably dowmixed it into a new Dolby Stereo version as well.

Posted: 30 Apr 2020, 16:42 

$1.20 does seem to be a fairly pointless quibble especially post-sale (around 2% difference).

Also informing an eBay seller it's rare surely has to be a total red-flag to a bull.....

Telling him it’s rare AND asking to lower the price? After the sale? No no no.

Buy the item, get it HOME, THEN, tell the guy how rare the disc is you just bought and then tip him for helping you out.

Posted: 01 May 2020, 15:54 

Are you kidding? Yes. I have spare grip rings and seven players. Collecting LD with one player is walking a tightrope.

Posted: 02 May 2020, 16:21 

I’m gunna puke.

Posted: 03 May 2020, 13:22 

What a childish poster that one user is. He has posted 6,000 times and feels the need to treat people that poorly. I know my avatar triggers that beta male. Also, I'm typing without my glasses right now. I need to finish up taking my shower and ignore the loser troll that has no life.

It ain’t your avatar buddy, it’s what you’re typing.

Don’t get me wrong, someone who hates abortion but mostly collects horror movies DOES start the windmills of ones mind but that ain’t it. “I love Jesus and also Freddie and b**bs.” isn’t what’s getting you blocked by sellers. You’re harassing these people and it extends as far as you can fling it.

Posted: 03 May 2020, 14:16 

I’m sure he’ll say that was the case after the fact, but no. I %100 believe he thought we would worship him.

Posted: 03 May 2020, 20:08 

...Wild Zero isn’t animation...
Page 11 of 34 [ Search found 826 matches ]