It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 822 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 27 May 2021, 11:47 

If all Image LDs were rotted I don’t think US LD fandom would exist. That’s a HUGE portion of all LDs in America.

Posted: 27 May 2021, 18:56 

If a format like LD is prone to certain problems but only if it’s stored in 200 ct stacks in Zartan’s dumpster for 20 years...then is it really a problem?

Most of my collection is comprised of stuff from other OG collectors, Japanese sellers, or just whatever I’ve been able to buy in person in shops when LD was still active. Rot is very very rare in my history with the format and warping may be totally nonexistent. I’ve had a lot of warped records but I’m not sure I’ve ever encountered a warped LD.

Here’s some good advice: buy stuff from LDDB stops. Search by shop and find a highly rated seller you like.

Posted: 31 May 2021, 22:09 

I guess I didn’t realize these were all 3D. That explains a lot of it. Metallica sucks in all dimensions though.

Posted: 01 Jun 2021, 21:19 

Yes i really like the 5 speaker stereo; it sounds just like 2 speaker but louder and better.

I'm just wondering, if I'm getting "Dual Analog Mono" when both tracks are selected, why would sound not come out of all 5 speakers, just 4 with a dead front right channel?

Mono also seems to confuse the new Dolby Digital decoder because sound only comes out of the left channel when i switch to surround on a mono disc.

Going to keep playing around and see what i can come up with.

I did take the cover off my DVL-909 today to look at the Analog audio inputs, nothing was loose, broken, etc. so i have no idea whats up with those. Going to have to keep rotating in various spare machines until i find one that works best i think.

When I said, "I can't think of any scenario where just the RF would drop out other than defective equipment or something not being hooked up right.", I meant it. There is no reason that should happen. Something is up with something. Remove the AVR from the equation and verify you have good output from the LD player's RCA jacks. Then make sure all channels with the AVR are correct and in phase, both the interconnects and the speakers. Also, don't select anything on the player, just let it play. Whatever is coming from the analog outs on spin-up will be what you want in almost every case. BTW, digital outputs are overrated on LD players, IMHO and can only add to the confusion in cases like this. Lets stick to the RCA jacks for now.

When AVRs die it can be very confusing...perhaps this is happening, or stupid heavy duty cables have shredded your RCA jacks, or the cables are bad, or maybe you have the speaker cables for Center and RF reversed. Do you have any LDs with channel checks?

Posted: 02 Jun 2021, 15:27 

Excellent, exactly the sort of thing I was suspecting. I'm glad everything turned out fine, with the cheapest thing in the stack being the failure point. I'm also glad to have my diagnostic ego stroked. Everyone wins.

Posted: 02 Jun 2021, 16:32 

I’ve been on a Macross thing lately. The original Flashback 2012 LD looks way better on my setup than the Blu-ray version does. I learned recently that the giant city in a ship idea was left over from Ulysses 31. The OG TV show has terrific pacing. The least I ever paid for an individual LD (above “free”) was Macross Dynamite 7 Vol1 at six (6) yen. Macross is still a lot of fun, I don’t know why all the new toys and models have itty bitty tweezer hands. I don’t like it, not at all. It’s conspicuously weird and obvious.

Posted: 04 Jun 2021, 11:25 

I just cannot tell if that’s a bot or not...

Posted: 04 Jun 2021, 11:26 

It sucks. The CDI always totally sucks, sucked, and will suck.

Post subject: Re: MUSE Hi-Vision discs
Posted: 05 Jun 2021, 12:39 

That’s nothing. You also need a MUSE decoder and an HDTV which would be that much again, if not more, and of course one needs a full surround theater...this would be for a home theater $40,000-100,000 probably.

When the bubble burst it didn’t burst as violently or at the same time as it did for everyone else. The X-0 was the tail end of Pioneer’s excess but the really insane period for Japanese electronics was probably 77-90. Lots of companies had crazy stuff like this, the tape decks and the turntables usually being the most impressive.

Posted: 06 Jun 2021, 01:04 

This thread educated me. Until now I had never tried changing the output channels while AC-3 was running. It’s true, if you actually select Analog Right it kills the AC-3 output on the player. I never knew this before...because there is no reason to ever try it, I guess. I had assumed the AC-3 was active all the time.

Post subject: Re: S-Video Cables
Posted: 06 Jun 2021, 14:05 

Quality s-video cables matter...but mostly I say this because some are so bad, not because you’ll actually see the benefits of oxygen free copper or whatever. I do recommend gold plated stuff though, just because it never corrodes. Get something that won’t fall out but also won’t destroy the port. Use the shortest cable you can and don’t route it too close to other power supplies, amps, etc.

Medium end Monster should do the trick, still available here and there online for less than $10 since almost nobody uses s-video anymore.

Post subject: Re: S-Video Cables
Posted: 07 Jun 2021, 17:00 

Interesting. I read several years back in a technical printing that the laserdisc video output was a composite video and S-video was not any better. Love to hear the other side of that conclusion. Thanks

Do a search.

Don’t search. Just try it both ways yourself and ignore other people’s qualitative opinions of other peoples’ setups.

Posted: 10 Jun 2021, 20:03 

What hurt it was that it costs twice as much (at least) as a more fun machine, had nothing like the kind of software people actually wanted (Sega/Nintendo) and the game pad was crap. The early 90s was ground zero for massive companies blowing huge money on terrible controllers that any gamer on earth could have told them was crap.

Posted: 10 Jun 2021, 22:22 

takeshi666 wrote:
Oh is that what they call it?

It sounds confusing since it doesn't actually reverse anything. Well, except the disc I guess...

It reverses the media, exactly like an auto reverse cassette tape player does, rather than flipping the entire thing. It’s seems very straight forward.

Post subject: Re: NEO GEO (Owners Only)
Posted: 10 Jun 2021, 23:04 

After many years of collecting parts and sitting on them, this year I finally completed my Super Duper Super Gun/MVS in a Can. Here is a video of me showing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odbb7xeWuOQ

The goal was to make playing arcade boards without a cabinet safe for the board and the user, all ages, etc.

To celebrate I bought a Guatemalan copy of KOF 2001 for $55 (shipped!) which should be here soon. I wasn't a big fan of this game when it came out and its easily my least played KOF so this should be very fun. Until then I've been playing some sports games. I somehow lost my copy of Super Baseball 2020 which really bugs me because I love that game and also...how does one loose a friggn MVS cart? They are huge!

Street Slam: a hand drawn knock-off of NBA Jam who's main distinguishing feature is that its 3-on-3. I like what's here but its not that flashy compared to Baseball Stars 2 or whatever, almost no ending, lots of identical players, etc. I still like it a lot though, especially versus.

Super Sidekicks 3: At the time a very old fashioned looking soccer game that has aged massively better than FIFA or whatever. I can actuality see what I'm doing, which is more than I can say for anything on "Next Gen" hardware from the period. Gameplay is surprisingly sophisticated, lots of cool tackle animations, great ball control, but again its kind of weak on the arcade-grade flourish you'd see from other Neo games.

In other SNK news, I got one of those NGP backlights. I'll mention it here when I get around to installing it.

Post subject: Re: getting out of storage
Posted: 14 Jun 2021, 19:54 

They never melt unless super heated. LD plastic is super stable.

Posted: 14 Jun 2021, 23:50 

I didn’t realize you meant no AC. If there was a lot of temp changes, particularly in the higher range, that could be very bad.

Posted: 15 Jun 2021, 13:24 

There are so many “science” shows these days that cover basically the exact same ground but most of them stink. Cosmos has what so many lack; a thesis.

Posted: 16 Jun 2021, 14:27 

82 is kinda high but probably not an issue.
Well it'd better not be, because my apartment can go up to 86 during summer.

So wait, you guys have single payer healthcare but no air conditioning? That’s impressive. If my house hit 86 I’d probably...end up in the hospital. I hate heat and cannot stand it.

Air conditioning is pretty much the number one thing you need to archive anything, LDs, stamps, comics, quilts, guitars, anything. AC not only controls temp but also humidity.

Posted: 17 Jun 2021, 11:39 

Everything about ultramarathon is weird. Alien. I feel like in the course of the development of that sport we’ve discovered a new sub-species than can run 1000x harder than any normal human ever possibly could even if being chased by dogs. Most humans would RATHER be eaten by dogs because it’s less painful than running 50 miles a day for a week and living in caves.

There are those people (all women so far, I think) that can see a much more developed range of yellow than anyone else and it wasn’t discovered until the 20th century. There’s a lot to learn about humans.

Posted: 17 Jun 2021, 13:14 

Yes, but you’re also genetically different from large parts of the population. You clearly enjoy running...or enjoy hurting yourself. One way or another that’s not something everyone likes. Either way it’s super impressive, to run like Melos.

A friend of mine loves running and he married a lady who also loves running. They just run and run and run. It’s amazing, and it’s proof we are very different. I’ve done some running in my life, never more than like two miles, I learned that it NEVER is as fun as it is for people like you and them. My experience with weight training is similar. It’s never ever easier and it hurts every time. These days my only real exercise is that I rarely sit down and every time I climb stairs (which is dozens of times a day) I sprint up them at max speed.

Yesterday my six year old and I were flying model rockets in the park. That’s a lot of waiting and a lot of sprinting. Paintball is the same way. On a perfect day, I do enjoy running as fast as I possibly can for like...20 seconds. It genuinely makes one feel alive. Once I catch the rocket or get to to tower or whatever though I stop.

I guess what I’m saying is that you’re a Newtype, or very probably an ancient old type. How many wisdom teeth do you have? Are your thumbs hooked? Are your earlobes attached?

Posted: 20 Jun 2021, 02:21 

You’ll have a hard time finding a TV that looks as good as an iPad. It won’t be cheap.

You don’t want to use a Retrotink for AV. It’s for games.

Sony is not just a PlayStation company. If they still make a TV with composite in (research BEFORE you buy) then buy that. My newest is 2017 and it works wonderfully with LD.

The worst LCDs for LD/VHS are probably the ones from 10 years ago. They’ve gotten better in recent years.

Korean electronics suck, IMO. Samsung is only slightly more reliable and slightly less annoying to use than LG.

Post subject: Re: Extracting laserdiscs?
Posted: 23 Jun 2021, 02:41 

There isn’t a “platter encased” in the disc. They stamp the plastic disc, then spray that with aluminum to make it more reflective, then glue two of those back to back. The total quantity of aluminum is likely only a few grams. It would be like trying to remove all the paint from your car in one piece.

Post subject: Re: Extracting laserdiscs?
Posted: 23 Jun 2021, 16:18 

You were always told wrong then. There is no platter of metal so you will never prove that there is one. The plastic is the platter, the aluminum isn’t even .001”, I’m pretty sure, because it was spray formed and it’s reflectivity was it’s only needed feature. You can find videos of the entire Laserdisc manufacturing process on YouTube if you want to know anything or everything about it. CDs are nearly the same process.

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
Posted: 07 Jul 2021, 17:31 

I don’t know what box set you’re talking about but yeah, you probably should give it a shot. You’ve got the mind for it. Start at the beginning. The older the better with Who, on average. If you aren’t looking deeply into it by the time it goes color just quit.
Page 22 of 33 [ Search found 822 matches ]