It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 19:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 819 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 08 Oct 2021, 14:47 

I could say this in threads all over the internet until I die, but whether a resolution jump matters depends on 1) the source, 2) the size of the screen, 3) the distance between the screen and your eyes, and 4) your eyes . My laptop has a 4K screen, but just because I can tell when something on it is running in 1080p doesn't mean that everyone can.

Indeed.

When iPhones moves from the original res to “retina” (4x as many pixels) the difference was absolutely massive, and this was with the original 3.5 screen and individual pixel elements that are invisible (actually) without a magnifying glass.

A 27” monitor is several times the size, you’d have to be blind not to see the difference…unless you’re sitting fifty feet away from it like you do with a 70”. Is that what some are you imagining? That the OP is sitting on the opposite wall of a 1000 square foot room squinting at a TV so far away he can’t read subtitles? That’s probably not the situation, I think.

My iMac is 4K and only 21.5” and for photography purposes, moving to that screen was the biggest upgrade since I bought an SLR. It’s night and day. You don’t need to zoom your pictures when editing anymore because they are almost native res now.

Posted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:11 

I finished the Columbo box set. Well…I skipped almost all of the 90s stuff. Some of those are OK, some are wincingly bad. Next time I’m only doing the original series.

I recently watched Only Angels Eat Beans, a Bud Spencer movie with a guy who isn’t Terrence Hill but he does a good job. I liked this movie a lot and consider it one of his best.

Posted: 14 Oct 2021, 13:55 

No, it’s not a good player but if you have to ship it then just don’t bother with Sony players ever. %99 of them are long gone and broken, also the picture sucks. Buy Pioneers and clones, that way when it breaks during shipping you may actually find spare parts and someone living who has fixed one.

I would advise just not shipping anything. There is a double digit chance it will break in shipping, then you’re back to square one with no money.

Don’t just “shop” on eBay, thinking you can click on a thing and have it running in your house in a week, like it was a SD card or something. That doesn’t work with LD, or rather very very often it goes bad. Look through other noob posts and see how many of them are about broken players. I’m serious, there are more than a couple. Things like insurance and guarantees are worthless to LD fans because they could never find another one or fix the broken one they are stuck with, they will only refund filthy disgusting cash, who needs it when what you want is a player?

Try to locate a real LD person with a spare player and buy from them. They may package it properly and it may survive the trip. Most of the Pawn Stars carnies on eBay will destroy your player once you buy it. They don’t know how to ship things, eBay is absolute meat grinder for LD players. Also, be patient. If you’ve only been looking for a week then you won’t find anything.

Also, I have to mention that maybe you should just give up on LD. It’s super expensive and working players for this never popular format are more rare than ever. You can back away now having not blown thousands on antique junk nobody wants.

Posted: 30 Oct 2021, 19:41 

How much of it is that face staring straight into you like that?

Posted: 02 Nov 2021, 01:49 

Been watching on and off The Kids In The Hall for the past year, I think I'm almost done with the set, will scan it again in the future.
Funny series, some are funnier than others, some skits don't age well at all and others are still good.

That show seemed SO cutting edge to me when it was new. I love Kids in the Hall.

My favorite parts now are probably the one with the dipping sauces and pretty much anything with Buddy. Buddy rules.

Posted: 02 Nov 2021, 15:55 

LD was a format for movie (film) lovers and people, (adults) with money. The WWF is better for selling action figures or Presto Magix or fruit roll ups or something else more budget friendly. I’d wager most NFL fans who owned LD players were team owners. There wouldn’t have been too many. A sports maniacs main format is always going to be live TV.

Also both NFL and WWF had considerable VHS markets that were very strong. When you’re in a market to make money you don’t just go “OK, I’ll put my album on out 8 track to be cool!”, you put it out in the format that people are already buying similar things in.

Don’t ever forget, “retro collecting” is newer than the things you’re collecting. None of the economies are the same anymore.

Posted: 03 Nov 2021, 00:19 

The NFL is a club of the worst people on earth. “Nerd grievance” didn’t give us Micheal Vick’s dog fighting ring, OJ’s double murder, countless local economies destroyed by stadium schemes, uncountable gang rapes, unmarked graves, dragging deaths, and basically just hundreds of thousands of very crappy people allowed to do whatever they want as long as they can throw a stupid ball in what is THE slowest most boring sport ever created.

I can’t wait until it’s only legal in Vegas but considering how many terrible parents are still willing to feed their kids onto the football meat grinder it may be a while. Recruitment is down but somehow not zero.

Someone I know, sorta…it’s a football family…even though his old best friend killed himself from the head trauma (that the smart guys at the NFL tried to hide) they are still sending their kid into the game with big dumb college hopes. It’s not a game its a social plague. Neither parent is actually low IQ but this is DUMB behavior unless totally deranged.

Loyalty is the worst human trait when it’s loyalty to something totally inhumane. You have to REALLY look the other way to excuse the NFL. Total moral abdication may be needed.

Posted: 05 Nov 2021, 01:26 

Having no budget or talent or skill isn’t the issue. Youtubbers aim to ape whatever their favorite thing looks like. The homogeny is intentional and not to be avoided in their mind because if Marvel can make 20 of the same thing with the same cuts, same lame music, same overdone sound FX, direction that makes every event obvious, and make more money than all the other movies in the world combined then it’s hardly to be ignored.

And to be fair, YouTube gets WAY worse and WAY stupider than this. Open a Private window (no login, no cookies) and just look at diarrhea it recommends you. Everything is either stupid or gross or fake or all three. After you see what truly popular Youtuber’s…output…looks like you’ll be praying for Metal Jesus or Game Sack.

Posted: 05 Nov 2021, 16:08 

Get the player working before you buy another disc.

Posted: 11 Nov 2021, 14:47 

I haven’t seen it in ages but I always liked this one.

Post subject: Re: Laser Rot
Posted: 12 Nov 2021, 19:35 

The number one thing you need to know about rot as a noob is that it is MASSIVELY overly discussed. If you bothered to make that post you’re already thinking about it too hard.

As a daily user of LD for many years I can easily say that I’ve spent more time thinking and talking about rot here than I ever have outside of the forum. Some people buy discs they know are rot prone and get more rotten discs, I don’t know why they do that, I guess they are stupid or love disappointment. A normal person just never buys that disc again…if you do that chances are you’ll never even see a rotters more than 1/100 unless you get all your discs from dirtbag sellers who can’t ship or store anything properly.

Posted: 20 Nov 2021, 12:07 

There’s a US Blu-ray of Future Boy Conan!?!?

Shopping for it now, thanks for letting me know.

EDIT: OK, I have it on the way now. I was a little worried because it says they blew a bunch money on a dub and didn’t mentioned the Japanese at all in some listings but at the publisher’s site they do say it has Japanese. (For a minute I was worried they left out the Japanese to lower the price.)

Watching the scene where he’s smashing the rocks because of Grandpa…dubbed, re-recorded or messed with in any way…satanic. I haven’t watched this show in 20+ years but I’ll never forget the emotion of that scene.

Conan is one of the greats. When it came out really the best anime of all time were probably Yamato, 999, Heidi, and this. It’s dynamic, heavy, optimistic, as good as it gets. Buy with absolute confidence.

Posted: 22 Nov 2021, 12:24 

Cobra definitely looked nice.

I thought Zeta and ZZ looked pretty good but it might just be because I was coming off the original series and it was a big step up from that imo.

Without a doubt there are specific cuts that are absolutely fantastic in Z and especially ZZ. They hired everyone who was anyone for something on ZZ. The intros and recycled cuts are amazing too. And yes, both are waaaay better animation than the original series at all times. Only the new footage made for movies I,II, and III is actually very good theatrical grade anime.

Holmes however, because of foreign investment, is consistently solid in every single cut, the boring stuff, the exiting stuff, the episodes Miyazaki directed the ones he didn’t, it’s very good %100 of the time and the really dynamic action scenes are nearly Ghibli grade.

While Heidi didn’t have a high budget and it recycled animation constantly, occasionally producing continuity errors, it is a high point in 70s anime. The scenes that get you will get you despite there being no budget. It’s more about inspiration and it does that. You’ll want to visit 19th century Switzerland when it’s over and run barefoot through goat droppings on the mountain with Peter and the girls. Far from a quick book adaptation for a paycheck, Heidi was a labor of love for a small group of super talented people. Some eventually became famous and some didn’t but the show’s influence is felt even today. You’ll see things later used in Lupin, Totoro, Kiki, etc for the first time here. I hope someone sells this show in the US some day.

Posted: 28 Nov 2021, 17:05 

rein-o wrote:
I know its not Japanese anime but I'm going to watch Transformers the Movie later today to get ready for Unicron 2021...........

It’s anime. Not %100 Japanese, but it’s anime.

Posted: 15 Dec 2021, 15:17 

I’ll never know Japanese well enough to use this but I’d love to watch it. Thanks for posting.

Posted: 20 Dec 2021, 02:45 

OK, my finger is killing me but persistence has paid off, I have the big drawer out. The PSU is fully accessible.

I'll address the root issue when I next have time, I'm hoping I already have what's needed on hand.

Posted: 22 Dec 2021, 15:00 

takeshi666 wrote:
Don't mono discs usually still come with left and right channels, ie. dual mono?

Yes, nearly all of them.

I’m wondering what happens if R is selected on the player, which should put the same channel through both jacks.

Are we using the RCA outs here?

Posted: 22 Dec 2021, 15:12 

I bought the Bladerunner sequel…quit watching about 40 minutes in, still haven’t gone back to it, probably never will.

Post subject: Re: MADOX-01 BD
Posted: 23 Dec 2021, 18:40 

From Kickstarter, “Director Aramaki has also told us that after thinking about it, he would prefer not to include the 16x9 edit of MADOX on the Blu-ray. He feels that the restored 4x3 version is the best representation of the film.”

Sanity prevails!

Posted: 24 Dec 2021, 08:42 

Tonight I poked around a lot on the board. C14 (little blue 331) seems to have made itself open somehow, I don't have a replacement so one is on the way.

Posted: 28 Dec 2021, 22:32 

You don’t have to collect “a format”. You can just buy movies.

Posted: 30 Dec 2021, 15:13 

You don’t have to collect “a format”. You can just buy movies.
OK I won't buy this movie on Bluray but will consider it on DVD, and I won't buy any films on streaming either.

Rephrasing your OCD won’t make it any better. All this stuff plays in the same machine. I don’t get it. You don’t even have to actually know that it even is a BR. If it’s not expensive, and its the best one, the one with the best picture and features and the one that’s currently in print…that’s the one ANYONE BUT YOU would buy. Going out of your way to pay more (or nearly the same) for an inferior master on an inferior format just to…save money? Not get “screwed” by “another format”? You’re only screwing yourself with this labyrinthine crazy person collector logic.

I bought my mother a region free BR deck. It plays everything and was like $150. This way I can buy her any movie I feel like at a whim and not have to consider compatibility even a little. As long as it’s 5”, it plays. She doesn’t even get what “region 2 DVD” even is exactly but it doesn’t matter. I bought her a UK copy of Toast of London and it plays, that’s what matters. She doesn’t have a collection of R1 DVD, R2 DVD, DTS DVD, single layer Blu-ray blah blah blah, she just has a movie shelf. Some of us could learn from that sort of practical movie fan behavior.

Posted: 31 Dec 2021, 14:17 

After it being on my Xmas list for years someone finally got me Flying Clipper aka: Mediterranean Holliday.

This is a movie we’ve talked about a little here but not much. It’s main claim to fame is that it was the first 70mm German movie and it’s famous for being a high quality photo document of its time and place. It’s a documentary that follows some young sailers on a three sail clipper all over Italy and Czechoslovakia and Egypt and you name it.

I got this pretty much only for the visuals. I really like HQ footage of things that no longer exist. I really like Tokyo Olympiad, for example. That movie feels almost like a “time scope” that you use to look very closely at a certain time and place. I was hoping the Flying Clipper would be similar and it is, maybe even better.

Whereas TO is a more realistic “hands off” style document, this is slightly more Hollywood and editorialized. It has scenes filmed just for the documentary, where as TO was nearly hidden camera by comparison. FC goes looking for the beauty on purpose.

This year was the first year that my kid finally “got” Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. He’s been singing “Silver and Gold” for a few weeks now. So imagine how pleased we were to find that the English version of the Flying Clipper is narrated by none other than Sam the Snowman himself Burl Ives! He even sings sea shanties. It’s a home run casting choice! I’ll never watch the German, sorry German.

Anyway, I love this movie for life. It’s much more friendly and light hearted than I thought it was going to be. I recommend it highly for anyone interested. The footage of the 1962 Monaco GP is slim but easily the highest quality 60s F1 I’ve ever seen. I’d own it just for that, but really every inch is fun.

I watched the 1080p version which is quite dark, way too much contrast. I was able to adjust it enough where it was fine and there’s a good chance you’ll have to do the same unless you have your TV set to VIVID all the time. I’m told the (also included) 4K disc looks better but I haven’t watched it yet.

The whole film is on YT: https://youtu.be/adtIbOVphYI

Posted: 03 Jan 2022, 04:12 

It's going to need more than that, the mirrors will have certainly fallen off.

Yeah, there's basically no chance this thing works. Even for reliable gear, 40 years in a box not moving is often doom. Nothing is actually broken (snapped) yet though so for a dedicated person it may run with a lot of work. I would not just plug it in and turn it on though.

Posted: 04 Jan 2022, 03:26 

When it comes to most releases, nobody knows. When you see people quote numbers, ask for proof.
Page 24 of 33 [ Search found 819 matches ]