It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 826 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 11 Jun 2020, 18:19 

I also have dozens of decades old VHS tapes that still work including the premier of Next Gen with the contest ad in it, most episodes of Max Headroom, dozens of fan subs. This doesn’t make the format reliable. I’ve still personally handled hundreds of broken tapes in my life and aside from the one ruined Loony Toons disc we have I’ve never lost a DVD.

I think if you’re careless VHS is great because you can leave the things laying all over outside of their cases and drop them and stuff. If you’re careful though DVD is massively massively more reliable and there is no signal deg ever, not even if played 100,000 times.

For kids the best is VHS but not because of durability. VHS is best for kids because all you have to do is shove the tape in there and with most TV/VCR combos that will turn everything on and play the movie to the end where it rewinds and then ejects. When DVD came out apparently they were so happy about not having to rewind anymore that they felt free to choke it with stupid menu crap that little kids and old people don’t understand.

I’d like to see the small single scratches that have ruined multiple DVDs of yours.

Post subject: Re: Fawlty towers is racist
Posted: 12 Jun 2020, 17:03 

This thread depressed me.

Another word about Song of the South...since people are so ignorant.

It was ALWAYS considered a backward film. Literally from the day it was released. It was never ever “all of the sudden racist”. That is a false statement and people shouldn’t feel good about saying things like that. It premiered in a theater in a city where the very star of the film was not allowed to attend. Why didn’t they premiere it some state that wasn’t s****y? Because it was a story more popular in Georgia than probably anywhere else. If they opened in NYC or LA nobody would have known WTF it was. Controversy has ALWAYS been with this movie. It wasn’t a “liberals took it off the market.” That never happened. Disney is the owner, THEY don’t want to sell it. It’s there’s, they don’t have to. This is not a “ban”.

Secondly, it’s not considered racist because it depicts black people as slaves. It’s considered a dangerous fantasy because it depicts slavery as a happy place for black people. It idealizes the setting, that’s the issue. It makes it seem like everything was just like a new ride a Disneyland when it fact the US slave industry was 400 years of one of the crudest most inhumane murder machines every designed.

Now, knowing how badly you mischaracterized that, I’d just love to hear this episode of a radio show you heard to hear what they really said.

Some other notes:

Faulty Towers is great.

Gone with the Wind frankly sucks. It’s the Avengers of the 1940s. Regardless, nobody is banning it. It’s being removed from HBO Max so they can whip up a mini doc to run with it that explains how racist and massively unrealistic it is.

Another thing I’d like to say is that things like Gone With the Wind do not suddenly offend people one day. Gone With the Wind ALWAYS offended people. It just offended people that had no voice so they just had to take it like all the other BS. Now they don’t, and you’re just learning what the issue is centuries late, clueless and confused. Try not to be such a prat about it.

Posted: 13 Jun 2020, 07:53 

Yep, thats 396 Wh x 4.

I just did some tests with a CLD-D503. It draws about 14 watts standing still, this is the PSU waste load more than anything I'd suspect. When spinning a 12" LD up to top speed it draws 85 watts (!) and eventually settles down to about 28 and then decreases to about 19 by the end of the side if its CLV, it will be 28 the whole side if its CAV.

With a 43" 4K Bravia measured on the same line I'm seeing about 100W at the beginning of the side and about 90 at the end.

So Gone With the Wind may only kill one battery. The Star Wars big box would wipe out the whole set.

Or you could charge your phone like 1700 times....or sell all the batteries on eBay and buy a generator...

But seriously, please do this and report from the field with real world results.

Posted: 13 Jun 2020, 16:46 

i do indeed take ginger care of my optical media, but that hardly means most people out there do anything like the same.

i get a lot of DVDs second hand, and i also rent often from the regional public library network.

between the two of those sources alone, i cannot begin to tell you the mass quantity of fluky discs i've had to endure.

meanwhile, damn near every VHS cassette i've ever bothered with has played all the way through, usually without a single hitch.

DVD is the final, and ultimate SD home video medium... IF you take care of it.

Why wouldn’t you? This idea that inevitably someone is going to manually ruin every DVD. It’s nonsense. Aside from the very rare occasional accidents only total slobs ruin their optical discs.

Library’s used to rent 35mm slides, 16mm prints, LPs, and even now many still loan out prints of paintings, litterally just paper...like the books they loan out. DVD is vastly more reliable than any of these formats but ITS the fragile one because it wasn’t until the DVD era that people started treating $20 movies like $0.20 newspapers.

When CDs first came out there was often a little educational blurb about the format in with the booklet. It would say “treat the compact disc as you would a photographic negative”. Ha! Who throws their negatives unprotected onto the floor of their car? Nobody. I’ve also bought hundreds of used LDs and never encountered one that was as f-up as every copy of Grand Theft Auto 3 or NBA Live ‘97 I’ve ever seen.

Used error, plain and simple. Priced so low nobody has any respect for it.

The disc goes in the case or in the player at all times. ALL TIMES. Never set the disc down on anything ever, and if you do...set it back side down onto a clean surface. Only hold them by the edges or the spindle hole. Don’t wear huge bejeweled rings when handling. Now...how is a DVD going to get scratched if you do that? “Well my friend is rough on things.” Send him a bill and never loan him anything again, he’s a slob. “Ex-rentals don’t play.” Thats because some slob ruined them before you got them. They are broken things, broken things don’t work. Don’t buy discs with scratches on them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fan of DVD. While I do have many DVDs I mainly just held my breath between LD and BluRay. It’s a format I dislike. However these arguments are too silly to not comment on. These people who seem to scratch so many discs...do you wear a helmet indoors to be safe? Does your by your bicycle have three wheels? How many dents are in your car? How often do you have to replace a window or a TV because you accidentally put something through it?

Can you believe there are people who can repair the tiniest watches? People who can write a bible verse on a grain of rice? People who can make a perfect five tier wedding cake? And then there are people who can’t not scratch their DVDs...the range of human experience is large.

Posted: 16 Jun 2020, 20:06 

I can’t imagine getting excited for PS5. Another expensive machine that will stop working one game at a time and leave you with nothing. We’re supposed to get excited for a game years in advance but not be mad when the servers shut down 9 months after it comes out. I’m totally done with that crap.

I’m in the process of going though all my video games stuff and verifying what still works. The PlayStation systems get the least time, 16 bit gets the most.

If I had to sell everything and just maintain one “system” it would be JAMMA arcade boards. All you have to do is plug the thing in and it’s instant fun. No loading, no updating, no logging in, and the tutorials go by faster than you can read them. Pro video game equipment, straight down to business. And reliable, my Mexican Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha board’s hour timer reads over 84,000 hours (over 9.5 years of 24/7 use...in a Mexican arcade even).

Posted: 19 Jun 2020, 00:40 

That guy has to have been a member here. I wonder when we shamed him off.

Post subject: Re: Purchasing a new tv
Posted: 27 Jun 2020, 03:36 

I think all 4K TVs are LCD...or else OLED I guess...

Anyway, my recommendation is Sony Bravia. The 4K one I have from 2017 does an amazing job with LD, composite straight in.

Posted: 03 Jul 2020, 01:07 

I can only go by what I remember reading in The Laserdisc Newsletter . Titles like Volcano and Strange Days aren't worth the extra because there's very little noticeable difference between the Dolby Digital sountrack and the DTS soundtrack.
I've got the Strange Days DTS disc and I think it sounds great, but what really steals the show for me on that disc is the picture quality; it's up there as one of the best in my opinion. However I haven't seen the AC3 disc so I don't know how they compare.

When it comes to movies that were new-ish when they hit LD you’ll usually (probably always) find that they use the same master for DTS. They usually came out less than a year apart based on a nine month old movie...not a lot of reason to redo anything.

Posted: 09 Jul 2020, 16:57 

You can plug an LD player straight into a TV, yes. That’s what most people did. This is a format from the late 1970s. It doesn’t required 21st century decoding tech.

DTS are the exception to this, but DTS LDs are pretty hard to get by accident.

Posted: 10 Jul 2020, 16:14 

It’s a great movie.

There is, at least in theory, little to no picture upgrade for CAV. Don’t be disappointed when you get the CAV one and the picture is identical. The advantage of CAV is in the Trick Play. The only situation where a properly done CAV disc looks much better when playing than a CLV one is when the player is out of alignment. They both have exactly the same amount of pictures information, completely unlike tape.

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 00:48 

It looks like an LD, obviously a nearly full CAV LD of some writeable format. How much thicker is it?

Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 02:50 

Dang, and I though recordable LDs were obscure useless junk. :) This thing is orders of magnitude more useless and obsolete.

Btw, Zip discs were totally magnetic, just floppies really. I think you’re thinking of SyQuest disks which were more like MDs.

Posted: 16 Jul 2020, 19:15 

My kid and I watch an episode of Knight Rider on the weekends before bed.

We’re up to Season 3 now. April is gone and Bonnie is back. KITT has LEDs on the accelerator pedal, everyone but Mr Miles has new hair. Michael seems to mack chicks less in these episodes, but then he was KDiA every episode in season 1. Awaiting Super Pursuit Mode, the five year old will love it.

Mill Creek’s DVD is frills free...extremely...but not in a bad way. The box is a POS with the discs held in with two sided cards. While this sucks they did list the episode titles on every DVD so in actual use you’ll be able to get the specific episode you need in a hurry. Crappy for sure but still massively less annoying than the packaging on, say, the Futurama OVAs or pretty much any gatefold Digipak that pops louder than a firecracker when the disc comes out.

Video quality is very good, at some point scans were done, this doesn’t look like it came from broadcast tapes at all. So far ZERO extras.

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon LD
Posted: 22 Jul 2020, 17:36 

It’s true. You can capture the LD signal but you can’t capture the LD viewing experience. You can only see it in person.

Posted: 24 Jul 2020, 20:14 

So noob here
When it comes to using a dvdr with a laserdisc player you simply plug the player into the dvdr and play the laserdisc through it? And that is suppose to help with the picture quality?

Believe it or not, yes. Not just any DVD recorder but many. I have a JVC that I don’t usually use for this purpose because IMO the motion isn’t as good as it is going straight to my HDCRT but if you have the right DVD recorder it’s a great way to turn composite into HDMI with zero headache and low cost.

Posted: 30 Jul 2020, 19:42 

Bubblegum crisis perfect collection box is very hard to find right ? I have near 80 LDs yet and still indecisive to find my first box set ;( any recomendation? would like an unwrapped new one

I wouldn’t consider it very hard to find. It’s not in my “unique to this collection” list so at least two people here have it. It is very good, I can tell you that. The video quality is miles beyond the original editions and the entire series is there, even the dumb specials. One of my favorite box sets for sure. I’m speaking also as someone who likes the show in general.

Posted: 31 Jul 2020, 16:47 

....thank you sir, it is 800 bucks! WHAAAT ?

Did you not know that this is what these things cost?

Most 50 ep TV series were about $800, usually sold in two half-boxes for $400 each. OVAs like Bubblegum Crisis, Giant Robo, etc were $100 per episode. The UY box set was...I want to say $5000? I can’t remember.

Posted: 07 Aug 2020, 20:46 

UC is for sure the best Gundam material.

If you haven’t seen Bandai’s 40th Anniversary “message for the fans” or whatever on YouTube, do check it out. I found it quite moving.

Sometimes when I preach about Gundam’s aggressively secular humanist message people just look confused and say “I just like the robots” and it leads me to wonder if I’m imagining it but this video has reassured me. The message of Gundam is “be the Newtype”.

Post subject: Re: Rot and rot ratings
Posted: 10 Aug 2020, 17:29 

Most people can’t identify rot properly so if it’s showing one out of 200 then for sure I’m ignoring that one rot report. Rot is something mostly discussed by noobs and people who don’t buy the format and I’m not interested in their opinions.

Post subject: Re: Rot and rot ratings
Posted: 11 Aug 2020, 01:39 

That would be good, actually. From a quick comment you may be able to determine if what they are describing is actually rot.

Posted: 11 Aug 2020, 01:41 

That...looks like it was created by a secret lab to be the Worst Movie Ever.

EDIT: Did some Googling...this is apparently Rush Hour without Chan...so the only tolerable thing about those films wasn’t in place yet...it HAS to have been created in a lab. This is weapons grade action comedy.

Posted: 15 Aug 2020, 17:25 

It’s not really the digital paint that makes later productions so clean is because they were digital productions almost completely. They never had to shoot it on film and then transfer it to tape, they just rendered it live to tape, which was D2 by then. Later LDs overall look “better” because everything about LD was improving all the time. That’s why Goldeneye looks massively better than You Only Live Twice. In LDs time we went from the Atari 2600 on b/w TVs to Dreamcast at 480p.

In most cases a properly painted anime cell will have zero texture or gradient to the solid color areas. Sometimes they would airbrush white on top (Tatsunoko did this a lot but it was used even on cheap anime right to the end) but for the most part...it’s backpainted glass. Smooth as butter with zero randomness. That’s...why cels exist, because they turn out easy.

Cels are a great medium because even mediocre drawings look amazing as a cel...but drawings that are really really good lose a lot when they become cels. Because of this the cel is a sort of equalizer valve. The anime industry doesn’t need people who can draw well beyond a certain point but if you can draw OK you’ll fit. As the budgets fell out and producers were trying to save money...eventually they just fired everyone and outsourced it all to Korea. The anime industry that existed in the 80s Japan is somewhat gone. I say that because if you call up a studio in Japan to have them make something they will send all the grunt work to Korea. Even Ghibli has a studio in Korea. To me this is what’s lacking in new anime as much as cowardly producers. The people aren’t working together anymore. No kid can paint Transformers cels in a guys attic after school and see them on TV a week later. Those days feel like 1000 years in the past.

Posted: 15 Aug 2020, 21:55 

..didnt know they were rendered live to tape D2 , perhaps you mean fully coloured on the pc screen and processing directly every frame as a .bitmap file ? that is not very glamourous for our loved laserdisc right? :lol:

Lets see...i remember two classic works:

hand drawn and painted cels → analog camera→16mm film→telecine machine → tape (analog or digital)→ Laserdisc recorder and vhs

hand drawn cels → scanner→ coloured on a pc→ digital file→digital tape→laserdisc recorder and vhs recorder

I honestly don't know exactly how something like Dynamite 7 was done but I would suspect they rendered the entire project to a digital video file that was then probably played in real time from a hard drive or digital backup source into a D2 recorder and that tape was the master for LD/VHD/DVD. For 0083, half a decade earlier, they shot everything to film but telecined it to D2 which is partly why that show is so crisp.

Posted: 19 Aug 2020, 01:11 

I love this movie. I was surprised a tabletop RPG came out for it this year. (!) My favorite scene is him driving after he steals that car.

I love all the JJ movies. However I also wonder why this one crossed over so much and seems to have so many fans. Anyone who likes Stranger Than Paradise is going to love Ghost Dog but not the other way around!

Posted: 20 Aug 2020, 05:10 

I have Dead Man but it's a PAL R2 DVD so I've never watched it. Regions suck, DVD sucks.

EDIT: I forgot, I bought my mom a region free Bluray player and gave the movie to her, I still haven't seen it though.

Page 13 of 34 [ Search found 826 matches ]